"Whatever Happened To...?"

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

"Whatever Happened To...?"

Post by NicodemustheSage »

Apologies if this thread duplicates or is redundant to one that's already created and active, but I had a "Gee, I haven't seen ________ in anything in quite a long time" moment the other day, and thought it might make for an interesting series of exchanges.

So: Whatever happened to GEORGE DZUNDZA? Over the course of a thirty-five-year career in film and television, he was one of the most recognizable supporting cast members in a series of popular and impactful entertainments, stealing many scenes: "The Deer Hunter", "No Way Out", "The Beast", "White Hunter Black Heart", "The Butcher's Wife", "Basic Instinct", "Crimson Tide", "Dangerous Minds", "Instinct", "City By the Sea"... For a few years, there, in the early '90s, he could be found in practically EVERY big-ticket blockbuster, holding his own against onscreen giants like Anthony Hopkins, Michael Douglas, Denzel Washington, Gene Hackman, and Michelle Pfeiffer... On the small screen, he was one of the founding cast members of "Law & Order" (the ORIGINAL!), was in "Grey's Anatomy", and also "Batman: The Animated Series" (he was even Perry White in "Superman: TAS"!)

...And then, he just... disappeared. So, yeah: Whatever Happened To... George Dzundza, one of the most noteworthy character actors of the late 20th Century?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001169/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: "Whatever Happened To...?"

Post by Buscemi2 »

I always wondered what happened to Amy Davidson, the other girl from 8 Simple Rules. While Kaley Cuoco appeared on some high-profile things and still does, Davidson was in a couple of low-profile indie films and disappeared. I have to wonder if she got on some Weinstein-like blacklist and never got anything good after her show ended.

For a long time, I had wondered what became of Christine Taylor. Then I saw her in Friendsgiving and she looked completely zoned out in her few minutes on-screen. Seeing how Ben Stiller was one of the film's producers, I have to believe that he put her in the film so she could have something to do, even though she looked as if she had no idea where she was.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Good thread idea Nico. The #1 person that fell under this category for me until Guy Ritchie brought him out of the woodwork with Wrath of Man was Josh Hartnett. He was everywhere from 2001-2007 then straight up disappeared for no good reason at all for over a decade (an appearance on the Penny Dreadful show with Eva Green on Showtime was the only thing I can remember him being in between 30 Days of Night and Wrath of Man). Ritchie also cast him in his next movie that's currently set to come out in January, so we'll see if his career will be able to gain some real traction again.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Hartnett's done a bunch of stage work on the West End. He didn't really disappear, he just wanted to do something he liked.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Oooh i like

here are some names i'd like to know about, without delving into imdb

- Gary Busey
- Bruce Willis
- Nic Cage
- Billy Crystal
- Eddie Murphy
- Peter Weller
- Katherine Heigl
- Emma Watson
- Jennifer Lawrence
- Sharlto Copley
- Edward Norton
- Edward James Olmos
- Sting
- Liam Hemsworth
- Geena Davis
- Brian De Palma
- Matt Stone
- David Lynch
- David Cronenberg
- I could probably go on for a while but ill stop with
- Donte
- Barca
- Alyson
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I cna tell ya off the top of my head that David Cronenberg is currently shooting his next movie in Greece.
And David Lynch is in prep for a new TV series, with Netflix I believe, but production was delayed due to COVID.

With the actors, most of them are still in films that are generic STVOD action/sci-fi titles!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Billy Crystal just had a new movie come out in May. Reviews weren't good and I passed on seeing it.

Jennifer Lawrence took a few years off but is starring in Adam McKay's new one. I think she has another forthcoming film tied up in A24's issues (possible Apple+ title?).

Edward Norton's in The French Dispatch. Seems like Anderson's the only filmmaker still willing to work with him.

I know De Palma had a movie based on the Weinstein scandal in the works but this one seems to be dead.

Meanwhile, I just remembered a new one: Cristela Alonzo. A few years back, she had a show that ABC expected a lot with and a major role in Cars 3. Then the show got canceled and I can't recall her being in anything since then.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Norton is in Knives Out 2 as well.

-Katherine Heigl took a few years off from acting to start a family, but she's now the co-lead in a trashy Netflix soap opera called Firefly Lane with Sarah Chalke that premiered earlier this year and got picked up for a 2nd season.

-Emma Watson was in Little Women, but has been quiet outside of that of late.

-Edward James Olmos is a regular cast member on the Sons of Anarchy spin-off Mayans M.C. and still appears in movies from time to time.

-Nicolas Cage is still busy as hell-alternating between making cheap genre movies and gonzo indie projects.

-Eddie Murphy pops up now and again to remind the world of his talent (Dolemite is My Name) or just cash a huge fucking check (Coming 2 America).

-A combination of (reportedly) being a huge pain in the ass to work with and visibly not caring about acting anymore has turned Bruce Willis into the king of VOD action/thriller/sci-fi crap. He legit shits out about 6-10 of those titles a year and rarely spends more than a few days working on each of them. As a huge fan of a lot of his work from Die Hard all the way up through Looper, his downfall has been very sad to watch.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think it's time for Bruce to hang it up. He makes a million to show up on set for a single day so he's not hurting for money. He clearly doesn't have the enthusiasm anymore to make these movies and he's on pretty much everyone's shit list. Or just do what John Cusack does now and do commercial voiceovers. Easy money and and it doesn't matter whether you want to be there or not. I mean, Bill Murray did the second Garfield movie even though he considered the first one of his worst.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I've been watching a lot of 90's movies lately and realized that in the late 90's, there was a big push to make Ben Chaplin happen. Then he did that movie where we're supposed to buy Nicole Kidman as a Russian spy and he pretty much disappeared after that. The last movie I recall him being in was The Water Horse.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Noticing how Warner Bros. is still trying to make Annabelle Wallis happen by having her headline James Wan's latest, it made me think about when they were heavily pushing Richard Armitage with the Hobbit movies and cast him in Into the Storm. After the Hobbit series finished up, I've only seen him on the third season of Hannibal as Francis Dolarhyde. Good turn for him but I haven't seen him around since.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

He was the mark in Ocean's 8 as well, but I'm not sure what's he done since then

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

transformers2 wrote:
August 29th, 2021, 6:30 pm
He was the mark in Ocean's 8 as well, but I'm not sure what's he done since then
Well, he just turned 50 this week. Beyond that... (shrugs)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Figured I'd bring this back up for the holidays.

So another Christmas is coming and Love Actually is getting revived yet again in theatres and on television, even though it wasn't even the best 2003 Christmas film to feature Billy Bob Thornton in its cast. And we know about a lot of the actors who were in this one. But one thing I find interesting is how Richard Curtis pushed Martine McCutcheon hard by giving her such a plum role for her acting debut. And she never appeared in any other films.