Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #40-31

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #40-31

Post by Leestu »

numbersix wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 3:58 am
Chien: Leetsu, there's no way that was your first listen. This song was in every indie dramedy in the noughties, and every trailer. Think I remember it first from Everything is illuminated but then of course Little Miss Sunshine. It's a very earnest song, and decent, but it's a movie song for me.
Trump has fake news and I have fake memories. I've learnt not to trust them. I have seen Little Miss Sunshine though so I'm guessing this song has never stood out enough to recall hearing it, possibly multiple times. It is that sort of song for me so I can see that happening. There has probably been quite a few songs that I've heard before but don't remember.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 37 thoughts

Chien, Devotchka - I'm with Leestu, I can't recall this song really at all, maybe just me but vocals sounds like something Glen Hansard has done, so naturally it does feel very cinematic. Pleasant enough, but like I guess has already happened, I suspect I will have forgotten it in an hour.

Geezer, Alkaline Trio - Very generic pop punk that could have been every band from this era. Not a little bit of adventure in the style and pretty much forgettable instantly.

JohnErle, Fleet Foxes - Very nice, I do like this band, but generally always went to Grizzly Bear when after this kind of music.

Leestu, Pinegrove - These are a nice little band, but I have never found anything I really like. This just sounds like an album track unfortunately, not really stands out.

Nspan, The Warlocks - Yeah, despite being so hugely indebted to their influences, this still has a cool little vibe to it.

Ron, Daft Punk - Instantly catchy, definitely one of my favourite Daft Punk songs.

Screen, Disclosure - Not my favourite of your disclosure picks by a long shot, guess it doesn't help I am not a Lorde fan, I guess.

Shryke, Disturbed - More listenable than your previous pick, but its all just so turgid, and those vocals are horrible.

Six, Priests - Yay! Good to see some more Priests representation after they could only make my also rans. While I love their punkier songs, alongside No Big Bang, this is my favourite from the album.

Tranny, Rivers Of Nihil - Sorry, I just am unable to differentiate this to the rest of your picks, lots of angry vocals. Although I suppose the music reminded me a little of System Of A Down, though that could just be me.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I ahve quite a catching up to do, I'll just list the songs I preferred since the beginning of this thread.

RUFUS, Underwater (Ron)
Ryan Adams, Come Pick Me Up (Six)
Mike Krol, Like A Star (Surfer)

Cn't say I really love any of them, but they are the only 3 this round that stood up a bit for me.

The White Stripes, We Are Going To Be Friends (John) Great song from a great album.
Foxygen, No Destruction (Nspan) There are parts it felt like the voice of a young Mick Jagger. Interesting.
Radiohead, Go to Sleep (Ron) Great song, I almost included it on my list.
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Jubilee Street (Six) You can't go wrong with Cave.

Shearwater, Black Eyes (John) First listen, I really like the sound of this.
Ball Park Music, Pariah (Leestu) First listen too, and a total blast, very trippy.
Zoot Woman, Living in a Magazine (Nspan) I can understand why you mention Phoenix. I still prefer the Phoenix sound, but this was nice.
Phoenix, 1901 (Ron) High five, man. I didn't think there would be several other appearances of Phoenix besides mine.
Tom Waits, Hoist that Rag (Six) That voice of Waits is enough to justify his appearance here. Good song too.
Lucy Dacus, I Don't Wanna Be Funny Anymore (Surf) Pretty good.

Fleet Foxes, He Doesn't Know Why (John) Sweet and pleasant.
Pinegrove, Old Friends (Leestu) I'll definitely get back to this.
Daft Punk, One more Time (Ron) It's never been one of my favs of Daft Punk, but a really cool song nonetheless.
The Warlocks, Angels in Heaven, Angels in Hell (Nspan) Nice sound.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Warlocks – As soon as I heard that retro riff coming through a fuzzbox, I knew it had to be Nspan's. I considered a different Warlocks track you introduced us to before, but it didn't make the cut. ADDED

Pinegrower – The intro was standard indie rock that had me reaching for the skip button, but my hands were full so I kept listening and it grew on me. ADDED

Devotchka – I remember the band name but not the song. It was okay, and might be a grower. ADDED.

Priests – Unlike the Warlocks, this didn't really add anything to its influences. They sound like a band that would have broken up in 1987. It was okay, but oh so familiar.

Disclosure – I didn't hate this like the last Disclosure track, but it's not for me.

Disturbed – Based on reputation alone I assumed I would hate this, but if I'd heard it on the radio at the time I probably wouldn't have shut it off.

Cloud Nothings – A whole lot of nothing, downloaded from the cloud. Did this song really appear before? I have no memory of it, which shows how little of an impression it made. I do remember the band name because I always get them mixed up with Cloud Cult, which only adds to the disappointment.

Daft Punk – I used to tolerate these guys, but after multiple appearances in this countdown I'm slowly growing to hate them.

Rivers Of Nibbles – Is that supposed to be Treebeard or Swamp Thing on the cover? Oh yeah, the song. Umm... it was very metal.

Alkaline Trio – Al Kaline was a hekuva ball player. Oh yeah, the song. Umm... it was very you.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

#36 (MYSTERY ROUND)

Tool, Schism (2001)

Killswitch Engage, The Element of One (2002)

David Bowie, Slip Away (2002)

Outkast, Hey Ya (2003)

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Maps (2003)

Wilco, Hummingbird (2004)

Gnarls Barkley, Crazy (2006)

The National, Mistaken for Strangers (2007)

Gram Rabbit, Off With Your Head (2010)

Lil Dicky, Molly (2015)

Young M.A., OOOUUU (2016)

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Starting to think some of you guys are just fucking with us on these rounds, this one was impossible!! Be amazed if I beat my last mystery round score of 1...

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm somewhat confident on 3 of the songs.

The rest I may as well randomise.

There are always 2 people whose taste is not even remotely represented by the selection of tracks. Damn you both, because you throw EVERYTHING off.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Guesses sent to Shryke. This time I have a better feeling than the last mystery round.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I have the guesses for Leestu, Surfer, Chien, Six, and Tranny.

Six out of ten correct guesses is the best so far.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Dammit, I thought I had guessed better than that, was hoping for 7 right.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I'm thinking we'll do one more Mystery Round at #25. Is that okay with everyone?

Here are the answers.

CHIEN

David Bowie, Slip Away (2002)

David Bowie. No introduction needed. Even though when you first mention a Bowie song, it’s one from the 20th century, he has produced some great music this century too, and my favourite song of his in that era is this one. Heathen is an album I love, my favorite of 21st century Bowie. “Slip Away” begins strangely as a Bowie song can, it slowly builds towards a powerful climax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFtNAXxwn-I

GEEZER

Lil Dicky, Molly (2015)

If you got this, you have probably followed me on facebook for years. Or I'm just really predictable. But this song is unlike anything else on my list. I knew I wanted to feature Lil Dicky on my countdown in some way, and he's got so many songs that I love, but most of them are comedic. I kinda separate comedic music from regular music. And Lil Dicky has a shitload of talent as a rapper beyond his comedic chops. I could have gone with Russell Westbrook on a Farm, another straight rap song that I think is brilliant, but Molly is my favorite. I can really feel these lyrics. I love Brendan Urie on the hook. I love the beat. I just absolutely, genuinely love everything about this song. It seriously hits me in just the right way and I get emotional listening to it. Music starts about a minute in on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZkVqLjGM_I

JOHNERLE

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Maps (2003)

If this doesn't appear again on this countdown, I'll eat my hat. And if the grocery stores keep running out of food, I might eat my hat anyway.

Also: Gold Lion, Phenomenon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIIxlgcuQRU

LEESTU

Tool, Schism (2001)

Tool make meticulously crafted songs, that despite their complexity are still listenable, and highly enjoyable when played loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM62wjLrgmA

NSPAN

Gram Rabbit, Off With Your Head (2010)

Another from Joshua Tree's finest. This was the song that introduced me to the band, and it holds a special place for that reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8eH_OwPQpY

RON B

Outkast, Hey Ya (2003)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgvGjAhvIw

SCREEN203

Disclosure feat. Lorde, Magnets (2015)

The atmospheric beat that underlies the song sets the tone. Lorde's sultry vocals add to the feel of a futuristic tube that could be played in a jazz club in the 40's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNkL9Lw9d9U

SHRYKE

Gnarls Barkley, Crazy (2006)

When I first heard this song, I had no idea who Cee Lo Green was, and I thought the name of the band was a play on former NBA legend (and Phoenix Sun) Charles Barkley. The song’s held up well since its debut, with just the right amount of fun, funny, and creepiness to make it one of the more unique songs on my list (shut up, Six).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N4jf6rtyuw

SIX

The National, Mistaken for Strangers (2007)

The National had been around for a while prior to this, but it was this song that really made me stand up and listen. It’s the way the guitar at the start sounds so detuned, like a Sonic Youth song, mixed with Matt Berninger’s astute vocals about feeling left out – something I’m sure most of us introverts can relate to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ6KX84ltyg

SURFER

Wilco, Hummingbird (2004)

When A Ghost Is Born was released, it felt like the culmination of a trilogy of releases that defined Wilco as a band, opening with Summerteeth, exploring their sound in Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and then perfecting it on the aforementioned record. And from that record I feel they really reached their peak with Hummingbird, a tender ode to loneliness as you pass through life and love while bringing echoes of The Beatles, Neil Young and Television all in one place. The song weaves a beautiful harmony throughout while Tweedy plays with ideas as the song progresses. And in doing so, he created the blueprint which so many artists imitated over the following years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F4ZdV4xmYU

TRANSFORMERS

Killswitch Engage, The Element of One (2002)

If you asked me what song best demonstrates the essence of the metalcore movement that dominated the metal scene when I was growing up, it would be The Element of One. The passion of hardcore, hard-hitting riffs of the Swedish melodeath scene and huge hooks of the 80's torchbearers come together in perfect harmony to create a truly transcendent track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO-TWf2gJs0

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Results:

WINNER: John Erle: 7/10
Correct on: NSpan, Six, Surfer, Chien, Ron B, Tranny, Screen

Tranny: 6/10
Correct on: Geezer, Leestu, NSpan, Ron B, Screen, Shryke

Geezer: 5/10
Correct on: NSpan, Tranny, Ron B, Shryke, Screen

Chien: 4/10
Correct on: Tranny, Ron B, Shryke, NSpan

Surfer: 4/10
Correct on: Leestu, Tranny, Shryke, NSpan

Six: 3/10
Correct on: Tranny, NSpan, Screen

Leestu: 1/10
Correct on: NSpan

Screen: 1/10
Correct on: Chien

So John was the only one to get Six AND Surfer's song right. He deserves to win for that!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron B - Hey Ya - Wow. Unbelievable, Ron... our FIFTH CROSSOVER!! (I only have three with everyone else!!) Stellar tune! 10/10

Leestu – Tool – My favorite Tool song. Great choice. 8/10

JohnErle - Maps - I swear to GOD, this woman sounds like Chrissy Hynde! Is she a clone or something? Damn good song. 7.5/10

NSpan - Off With Your Head - Nick, you've turned me into a Gram Rabbit fan! The first song you had on this countdown remains my favorite, but this won was good too. Lot of quirky funness, like early No Doubt or B-52s. 7/10

Tranny - The Element of One - Well, you've done it, Tranny. You've broken down my defenses with your relentless daily assault on my eardrums. This was spectacular. I loved it. Thank you (and fuck you too)! :lol: 7.5/10

Chien - Slip Away - I have to wonder... exactly when was it that Bowie found out he was on borrowed time? We may never know. While I admire the power and solemnity he put into his swan song, I like the consummate Bowie when he sings songs like this - utterly professional and not so damn depressing that it would make Marvin the Paranoid Android say "Whoa, dial it back, dude." 7/10

Surfer - Hummingbird - Another great choice. It's like a Beatles song filtered through Crowded House... really enjoyed it. 6.5/10

Six - Mistaken For Strangers - I like that this sounds like a classic 80s or 90s alternative song (I thought more The Ocean Blue than Sonic Youth), but otherwise nothing about the song really grabbed me. 6/10

Geezer - Molly - This was okay. Not my thing. Hard to believe a few of you thought this was mine... 5.5/10

Screen - OOOUUU - Nope. Nuh uh. 4/10

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shrykespeare wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 6:38 pm
Results:

WINNER: John Erle: 7/10
Correct on: NSpan, Six, Surfer, Chien, Ron B, Tranny, Screen

Tranny: 6/10
Correct on: Geezer, Leestu, NSpan, Ron B, Screen, Shryke

Geezer: 5/10
Correct on: NSpan, Tranny, Ron B, Shryke, Screen

Chien: 4/10
Correct on: Tranny, Ron B, Shryke, NSpan

Surfer: 4/10
Correct on: Leestu, Tranny, Shryke, NSpan

Six: 3/10
Correct on: Tranny, NSpan, Screen

Leestu: 1/10
Correct on: NSpan

Screen: 1/10
Correct on: Chien

So John was the only one to get Six AND Surfer's song right. He deserves to win for that!
I was absolutely positive that the Wilco song belonged to either Six or Surfer. Went the wrong direction, which snowballed into giving Maps to Surfer because I knew he liked it from his comments (though so did many others). Then I just gave Chien yet another National song even though I thought it was too obvious, but it didn't really fit with JohnE and Leestu, Then I just gave those two the two leftover songs (Tool, Bowie) and I had a 50/50 shot of getting at least one right, but chose Leestu for Bowie because again, he'd given very positive remarks toward the last Bowie song that was featured. Feel like I was really close to getting them all right but that initial mistake turned into five wrong. The others I thought were fairly obvious, but then again, you never know with these mystery rounds. At least I wasn't the free space on the bingo card this time! Only Tranny figured me out!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude