Most Anticipated Films of Winter/Spring 2024

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
Neo

Most Anticipated Films of Winter/Spring 2024

Post by transformers2 »

While it's not an overly splashy slate to open 2024, there are still some potential gems on the current January-April schedule. Here are the 10 films I'm most excited to see.

10.Road House
9.The Beekeeper
8.Civil War
7.Love Lies Bleeding
6.Challengers
5.Drive-Away Dolls
4.Argylle
3.Mickey 17
2.Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire
1.Dune: Part Two

Also Eager to Watch:
Self Reliance
The Book of Clarence
I.S.S.
Bob Marley: One Love
Spaceman
Late Night with the Devil
Several of the 2023 Awards Contenders That Have Yet to Release in My Area (especially All of Us Strangers and The Zone of Interest)

Would Be in the Top 10 If It Didn't Have Near Zero Odds of Making Its Current April Date:
Abducting Abigail (aka Untitled Radio Silence Monster Movie)
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Most Anticipated Films of Winter/Spring 2024

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm amazed anyone would have interest in Argylle. It looks like one of the most unoriginal major studio movies in a long time.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

I'm a pretty big fan of Matthew Vaughn and the idea of handing him a $200 mil budget for a huge action extravaganza with a great ensemble cast is very appealing to me. Hopefully it's a good time at the movies.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Argylle is a $200 million movie? I would have guessed $80 million, given how Sam Rockwell and Bryce Dallas Howard aren't big names and probably didn't command high salaries.

Ghosted is pretty much the same thing and that cost $40 million.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I think $100m was for Dua Lipa's acting coach.

Anyway, here's what I'm excited to see

Already seen and liked: The Animal Kingdom, Io Capitano, Housekeeping for Beginners, Femme

Maybes: Challengers, Society of the Snow, Late Night with the Devil, Origin, Madame Web (for a drunken hate-watch only)

10: Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire
When under COVID I watched Afterlife, and despite the underwhleming if not mawkish ending, for the most part it was watchable. Let's see if the sequel can find its own feet.

9: The Kitchen
Despite the postive-but-not-glowing reviews, this British sci-fi for Netflix may be a showcase for some exciting new talent

8: The Feeling That the Time for Doing Something Has Passed
While it didn't seem to make a huge splash in Cannes, this feels like an interesting, authored piece of provocative film-making.

7:Totem
Missed this when it hit cinemas here for its 2-day run, and its been racking up awards over the year.

6: Drive-Away Dolls
I can't help but feel the Coens divided makes for talent reduced (Macbeth looked beautiful but failed to stick with me), and this looks like a very obvious road trip coming-of-age movie, but I still have to see it.

5: Love Lies Bleeding
Rose's debut was such an assured piece of genre cinema, that I'm 100% in for this film, even if the plot looks a little familiar.

4: Mickey 17
Terrible title, but it's Bong Joon Ho, and he's yet to make a bad film.

3: About Dry Grasses
I'm a fan of Ceylan, whose work is clearly inspired by Bergman and Tarkovsky, so I'm excited to dive into his latest (3 hour) drama

2: Civil War
I can't say Garland has ever made a perfect movie, but he does make exciting and provocative ones, and this looks interesting, even if the concept of Texas and California joining forces makes no sense whatsoever. Unless Austin secedes.

1: Dune pt 2
No surprise here. I'm desperate to see how Villeneuve concludes the firs novel, as the story gets stranger. I've rewatched the first and I'm buzzed for this

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Honestly, there isn't 10 films I'm really eager to see in this first quarter according to the US release calendar. Fortunately we have much more films to watch here.

Here are the 5 films I'm really curious to see :

Drive-away Dolls : even if I wish they were back together, a Coen name is still a Coen name.

Dune Part Two : first one was a bit cold, but that was cinema.

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire : I really liked the first one, great nostalgia and entertainment.

Mickey 17 : Bong Joon-ho. Nuff said.

Civil War : Alex Garland always manages to make me curious.

I have already seen and recommend :
Animal Kingdom, How to Have Sex, On the Adamant, Ennio, Late Night with the Devil
Fluctuat nec mergitur