Nico's Review of "Godzilla Minus One"

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Nico's Review of "Godzilla Minus One"

Post by NicodemustheSage »

Again, a movie I wish I could discuss with Shrykey, but I know he'd want us to have the conversation he cannot. :)

So, take this for whatever it's worth, but... I was not all that impressed.

Let me begin with a few praises. The first hour's special effects were well done (I feel differently about the last 60% of the film, but, I'll get there...). Set design and costuming were good. The female lead, Minami Hamabe (who played Noriko) was very good, and Hidetaka Yoshioka was goofily winning as "Doc" / Noda. I appreciated seeing the immediate effects of (losing a) war on a population, the devastation, poverty, poor health, disillusionment, and loss of purpose that the people of Japan experienced following the surrender of their Government... I could honestly watch an entire movie just about that, and about how within 20 years Japan went from ruined and dispirited former Empire to world-leading technology innovator and economic powerhouse (bettering, even, Japan's meteoric rise from feudal to industrial and global military powerhouse over the half-century prior to World War II). I was also surprised -- not always, pleasantly or comfortably -- to see so much political commentary in the film: Particularly, criticism of Japan's Government (both pre- and post-surrender), its restrictions on public opinion and discourse, its management of information and suppression of knowledge, its lack of patriotic or sacrificial fervor, and its perspectives on the value of human life (especially, vis-a-vis kamikaze culture). It's clear that, with its (frankly, reality-stretching) focus on CITIZEN defense and heroism, the filmmakers are no supporters of Japan's military at ANY point in its recent history. There are also subtle but definite criticisms levied at the hand-waving detachment of conquering American forces, postwar: At the same time as the film seems to chafe at U.S. oversight of pacifist surrendered Japan, it complains that the Americans leave too much to "local" control and resolution, which is baldly contradictory. All of this makes for an interesting, if inconsistent and undisciplined, narrative.

...Much of the rest of what I have to say is not terribly complimentary. The main character, Kōichi, a failed kamikaze and all-around coward, is unlikable-to-despicable, and the actor who portrays him, Ryunosuke Kamiki, is utterly unable to make him sympathetic, no matter how many times he shrieks like a girl and bashes his head against tables and floors in apologetic atonement that comes across much more like adolescent sado-masochism. His "redemption" arc is both obvious and clumsily portrayed, and the events of the last ten minutes negate it entirely. None of his relationships -- not with his disappointed and ignored love interest, not with his adopted daughter(...ish), not with his motley crew, and, especially, not with his apparently awestruck teenaged colleague (whose name I could not be bothered to note or remember) -- make any sense whatsoever; only his parents' now-childless and, apparently, widowed neighbor Ōta, who dismisses the returning Kōichi as a spineless, useless, worthless deserter (which he is), rings true, and seems deserved.

There are plenty of historical inaccuracies, as well, and they grate: Japan possessed no "jet fighters" in World War II, and Kōichi would not have known what one was by 1947. Nor had the nuclear arms race begun by 1947 or '48, so the constant allusions to MAD and U.S.-Soviet nuclear brinksmanship were equally ludicrous. Finally, not one American soldier appears onscreen, which would have been IMPOSSIBLE in postwar, occupied Japan.

As I alluded to, above, the early effects work is decent -- predictable shots of Godzilla, for example, diving beneath large naval vessels are well-done, and there are several sequences right out of "Jaws" that, while hardly innovative, are effective; and a VERY early action scene, surprising in its timing and ferocity, is easily the best such in the entire film. However, the way "Godzilla Minus One" retcons the creature's origin story is... bizarre. While American nuclear detonations in the Pacific do factor in to the "Minus One" storyline (which is supposed to serve as a prequel to the ORIGINAL Toho film, "Godzilla"), ultimate responsibility for its nature and destructive power is now shunted somewhat onto unmolested nature, itself, which undermines the entire power of the character and franchise. I frankly prefer Legendary's modern take, that Godzilla and his kin (and rivals) are ancient Titans, newly released from their epochal slumber to torment a newly radioactive surface world.

And, the latter half(-plus) of the film's special effects are... well, not all that special. While the creature's atomic "heat ray" is well done, his dorsal plates are... Well, ridiculous, as is his super-healing power, which reminds me of JJ Abrams' magic Tribble juice. (Yes, this is nitpicking, but fans of Godzilla are, well, discerning. 😃 ) The ultimate battle between the ragtag Japanese navy and The King of All Monsters is similarly ludicrous, and again owes much to Spielberg's infinitely superior shark movie.

...I really came into this film with enthusiasm; "Shin Godzilla" was quite good, and I enjoyed the first two Monsterverse entries, 2014's "Godzilla" and its immediate sequel. "Godzilla Minus One" had high aspirations, and it did manage to grab onto one or two innovative rungs, but it ultimately falls from the ladder of its own ambition. 6.6 / 10

ETA: While, overall, the original music used in "Godzilla Minus One" (by composer Naoki Satō) is very well done, more "classic" "Godzilla" themes by original franchise luminary Akira Ifukube appear, and while you might THINK they would be welcome, they are, in actuality, jarring and discordant.
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Nico's Review of "Godzilla Minus One"

Post by Buscemi2 »

It's funny how we posted reviews for the same movie less than 40 minutes apart. It's also interesting how you panned this one but still gave it a passing grade, much like in your review for The Creator.

Anyway, what are your favorite and least favorite movies this year?
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Oh, cool, I need to read yours.

Um... Hm. I haven't seen all that many films this year, actually. Family is dominating my time like never before, which isn't a bad thing, but I don't go to the theaters much, any more. Maybe in a few years.

I am ONLY going to rate the films I have actually seen in theaters, and ONLY those I have seen for the first time in 2023. Here goes:

"Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse": 9.9 (the highest rating I have given any film since 2008's "The Dark Knight")
"Gran Turismo": 9.4
"The Super Mario Bros. Movie": 9.1
"Creed III": 8.9
"Air": 8.8
"John Wick: Chapter 4": 8.7
"Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves": 8.5
"Oppenheimer": 8.4
"Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3": 8.2
"Sound of Freedom": 7.9
"M3GAN": 7.6
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem": 7.4
"Jesus Revolution": 7.3
"Trolls Band Together": 7.1
"PAW Patrol: The Mighty Movie": 7.0
"Godzilla Minus One": 6.6
"Transformers: Rise of the Beasts": 6.5
"The Creator": 6.4 (down from my original 6.6)
"Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania": 6.0
"Shazam! Fury of the Gods": 5.9
"65": 4.8
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Best: https://letterboxd.com/buscemi1/list/best-of-2023/

Worst: my only 1/10 this year is Skinamarink. There have been plenty of 2/10's for me, including some critics loved, but Skinamarink for me didn't even feel like a movie. It felt like a cruel joke.

Most overrated: Oppenheimer.

Biggest disappointment: it's between BlackBerry and Dream Scenario. Across the Spider-Verse was also high on the disappointment list.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

"Oppenheimer" WAS overrated, but I give the film and its makers -- and, particularly, the reliably-taken-for-granted Cillian Murphy -- enormous credit for daring to make a tentpole biopic that avoided portraying its main character as either hero or villain, but rather as a complicated person with perhaps irreconcilable qualities and a confoundingly contradictory legacy. There aren't many big-budget American films this side of "Patton" that have even flirted with such complexity, and the fact that the film ends without me, myself, having resolved how I feel about its subject, is rare enough.

* ETA: "Darkest Hour", which featured Gary Oldman's exquisite portrayal (tho, some would say, closer to a caricature) of Winston Churchill, came close, as did Helen Mirren's equally Oscar-winning turn in "The Queen".

I cannot understand your disappointment with "Across the Spider-verse", but perhaps I need to read your actual review.
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

If Nolan hadn't made Oppenheimer, no one would have cared. But it would have been a lot better, as it would have been much more focused, a lot better edited, and something for adults, rather than people who only came because it had explosions. Also, Oppenheimer wouldn't have looked like a Proud Boy with a YouTube channel talking about how much they hated Barbie.

Here's my Spider-Verse review:
http://forum.reelsociety.com/viewtopic. ... 74#p124174

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

[Shrug] I didn't see "Barbie", and, I'm fine with that. The girls in my house did, and I helped them dress up for it, and they loved it. I don't pay attention to Proud Boys. :D
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I didn't care for either one but I'd rather sit through Barbie again. I found at least one thing to like about that one and it was an hour shorter.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

I'm definitely waiting a while to screen "Oppenheimer" again. I bought a few biographies of him that I plan on reading over the holidays. So, at least I can honestly say one thing about Nolan's biopic: It absolutely inspired interest in the subject. Which is far from a terrible thing for a movie to do.
I remain, as always.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Regarding your "Across the Spider-verse" review, I definitely agree that it was lacking some serious Spider-Ham and Spider-Man Noir. That's about the only issue I have with the film, however. The final half-hour or so had me as breathless as I was when I saw "Return of the Jedi" in theaters in 1983. And your "Return of the King" comparison is also apt, but I LOVE that film unreservedly. :)
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

You're probably going to get more than a little angry with some of my other pans.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Ehh, doubtful. The world would be a boring place if everyone agreed.

...Just admit that "Starship Troopers" is a heartbreaking work of staggering genius, and, we're fine. ;)
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Yeah, I can agree somewhat with that. I wouldn't call it 10/10 but a solid 9/10.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

...Detente. :D
I remain, as always.