Most Anticipated Films of Summer 2023

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Most Anticipated Films of Summer 2023

Post by transformers2 »

It's officially "Escape the Heat and Enjoy the Movie Theater's Air Conditioning" season (well not for most of us quite yet, but you get the point). What is everybody looking forward to seeing?

10.Hypnotic
9.Talk to Me
8.Joy Ride
7.Extraction 2
6.Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
5.Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
4.Barbie
3.Mission-Impossible: Dead Reckoning Part One
2.Fast X
1.Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3

Also Plan on Seeing:
BlackBerry
Fool's Paradise
The Starling Girl
Sanctuary
Kandahar
You Hurt My Feelings
The Boogeyman
Past Lives
Strays
Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
Asteroid City
The Blackening
Elemental
The Flash
No Hard Feelings
Oppenheimer
They Cloned Tyrone
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem
Blue Beetle
Please Don't Destroy
Lift

Might Watch:
Haunted Mansion
Meg 2: The Trench
Heart of Stone
Gran Turismo
The Last Voyage of the Demeter

Would Immediately Move Up to #2 If It Ends Up Being a Late Addition to the Release Calendar:
Bottoms
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Most Anticipated Films of Summer 2023

Post by Buscemi2 »

Another season where I'm sure most of the movies will be terrible (The Flash, No Hard Feelings, Strays), overhyped (Fast X, Asteroid City, Oppenheimer) or overpraised (Talk to Me, Barbie, The Boogeyman, Bottoms).

I'll give some of the movies a shot (Indy, Ninja Turtles, Spider-Man) but I wouldn't hold my breath on them being world-changing cinema.

Meanwhile, I straight up do not get the Barbie hype. It looks like a two-hour toy commercial with no plot and as Noah Baumbach co-wrote it, watch it be the movie that no one wants it to be, made for the audience that wouldn't be caught dead watching Barbie. Also, isn't this basically Velma, the universally panned Scooby-Doo reboot that got a lot of pre-release hype only to fall flat on its face and in the process, possibly killed both Warner Bros. Animation and Mindy Kaling's career? So why are people so insistent that this is going to be a masterpiece?
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Seen and liked: Revoir Paris., Blue Jean, The Night of the 12th

Maybes: Indiana Jones 5, Mission Impossible 7, The Boogeyman, Passages

10. Blackberry - I've heard good WOM about this film, so curious to see how it turns out.

9. Spider-Man Across the Spiderverse - the first film was excellent, and I hope this can keep up the quality.

8. Asteroid City - It's Wes Anderson (you know, the guy from Tiktok). I've seen all of his films in the cinema since The Royal Tenenbaums and won't be missing this.

7. Barbie - the rumour is that the script is great, and I do like Gerwig as a film-maker (despite the poor script for White noise), and this feels like it could be more subversive than expected.

6. You Hurt My Feelings - Nicole Holofcener is a very under-rated film-maker, so I'm delighted that not only does she have a new film, but it actually is meant to be pretty good.

5. Scrapper - I have a history with this project. It was funded by a scheme that I got the director onto, but we didn't click and parted ways while she developed a new project, which is this. I'm glad she got Scrapper made, and I'm curious to see how it fared.

4. Oppenheimer - I'm not Nolan's biggest fan, but he does make films for the big screen, and I'm very curious to see how he handles something more dramatic and less action-oriented

3. Elemental - Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but this looks more like a Soul or an Inside Out than Cars 3 or The disappointing The Incredibles 2.

2. Talk to Me - I remember being impressed by the silly but impressivly made Youtube vids of these brothers. I'm bfriends with the sales agent and he's been raving about it for over a year. And it comes out on my birthday

1. Past Lives - Hands down the film I've most excited about for the entire year. By all accounts this is a beaitiful, sensitive, emotive film, and I'm counting the days until I see it (it comes out here in September, annoyingly)
Last edited by numbersix on May 1st, 2023, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Past Lives looks like something I've seen numerous times already. I don't think it would be getting the attention it's getting if A24 wasn't distributing.

And it feels like the trailer for Oppenheimer that played before Avatar showed the entire movie in two minutes. This didn't need to be an expensive epic shot in 65mm. You could have had a similar result with $5-10 million, no big stars, and eschewing the effects pieces in favor of making it dialogue-driven. This is the kind of thing that should be on Netflix instead of IMAX.

I'll be there for Elemental but I dread the inevitable backlash from animation fans who've been turning on Pixar again as they'll claim Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken is a new classic (à la Puss in Boots: The Last Wish) despite basically being Luca meets Mean Girls and therefore not anything we haven't seen already.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
May 1st, 2023, 3:36 pm
Seen and liked: Revoir Paris., Blue Jean, The Night of the 12th

Maybes: Indiana Jones 5, Mission Impossible 7, The Boogeyman, Passages

10. Blackberry - I've heard good WOM about this film, so curious to see how it turns out.

9. Spider-Man Across the Spiderverse - the first film was excellent, and I hope this can keep up the quality.

8. Asteroid City - It's Wes Anderson (you know, the guy from Tiktok). I've seen all of his films in the cinema since The Royal Tenenbaums and won't be missing this.

7. Barbie - the rumour is that the script is great, and I do like Gerwig as a film-maker (despite the poor script for White noise), and this feels like it could be more subbersive than expected.

6. You Hurt My Feelings - Nicole Holofcener is a very under-rated film-maker, so I'm delighted that not only does she have a new film, but it actually is meant to be pretty good.

5. Scrapper - I have a history with this project. It was funded by a scheme that I got the director onto, but we didn't click and parted ways while she developed a new project, which is this. I'm glad she got Scrapper made, and I'm curious to see how it fared.

4. Oppenheimer - I'm not Nolan's biggest fan, but he does make films for the big screen, and I'm very curious to see how he handles something more dramatic and less action-oriented

3. Elemental - Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but this looks more like a Soul or an Inside Out than Cars 3 or The disappointing The Incredibles 2.

2. Talk to Me - I remember being impressed by the silly but impressivly made Youtube vids of these brothers. I'm bfriends with the sales agent and he's been raving about it for over a year. And it comes out on my birthday

1. Past Lives - Hands down the film I've most excited about for the entire year. By all accounts this is a beaitiful, sensitive, emotive film, and I'm counting the days until I see it (it comes out here in September, annoyingly)
:lol: The "AI is the future of moviemaking!!!" people consistently using his movies as a reference point is fucking hilarious, especially since the technology does such a shit job of trying to replicate his visual style.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

AI does a shit job of replicating humans period. It's not the future of society and it's more like to get regulated by governments and corporations than it taking over human jobs. We learned from crypto and I can't see this going unchecked.