2023 Festivals/Awards Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: 2023 Festivals/Awards Thread

Post by Buscemi2 »

Considering how there's been speculation of whether or not Lionsgate will change the release date or not, could Sony end up pushing No Hard Feelings (which sounds like the wrong kind of career move for Jennifer Lawrence) if Joy Ride turns out to be good?

Meanwhile, this is what I think of when I see the words Joy Ride.

It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Haven't seen Joy Ride, but the casting of Steve Zahn and Paul Walker as brothers is inspired.

And regardless of what the reception of Joy Ride is down at SXSW, it seems like a done deal that it or No Hard Feelings moves from June 23rd. R-rated studio comedies are such a rarity these days that it would make no sense to put 2 of them out on the same day. Somewhere between July 29 and August 25 feels like good spot for the bumped title to re-locate. Considering that The Marvels is the last guaranteed hit of the summer, there should be plenty of space for counterprogramming to break out during that corridor.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

transformers2 wrote:
February 7th, 2023, 6:16 pm
Haven't seen Joy Ride, but the casting of Steve Zahn and Paul Walker as brothers is inspired.

And regardless of what the reception of Joy Ride is down at SXSW, it seems like a done deal that it or No Hard Feelings moves from June 23rd. R-rated studio comedies are such a rarity these days that it would make no sense to put 2 of them out on the same day. Somewhere between July 29 and August 25 feels like good spot for the bumped title to re-locate. Considering that The Marvels is the last guaranteed hit of the summer, there should be plenty of space for counterprogramming to break out during that corridor.
You aren't missing that much, IMO. I know some people have a soft spot for it, but even by the pretty low bar of late 90's-early 2000's B-movie thrillers, it's not great.

As for the June comedy logjam, I imagine No Hard Feelings may be the one to move, considering there has been next-to-no marketing so far (speaking of Sony films, I'm surprised there hasn't been a delay for The Pope's Exorcist yet. Nothing other than an image has been released for it, and it comes out in early April, followed by a lot of other horror films).
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Barring the release of a trailer in the next week that confirms it's sticking to its date, Sony will probably just quietly undate The Pope's Exorcist a few weeks before its scheduled release like they did with True Haunting in December.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Sony only starts their ad campaigns two months before opening now. Unless it's Spider-Man, their ad budgets have become minuscule.

No Hard Feelings probably won't start its ad campaign until Easter.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Renfield will have its world premiere at the Overlook Film Festival in New Orleans-where it was shot and is set-on March 30th. Now that it's out of the running, I wonder what will end up filling the closing night slot at SXSW. John Wick 4, Strays and Beau is Afraid seem like the most likely candidates.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It's probably Beau is Afraid. John Wick hasn't begun ticket sales yet and may be still editing (the rumored 170 minute run time seems to have disappeared from listings) while Strays looks like a total disaster.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

John Wick: Chapter 4 has been added to the SXSW slate, but it will not be the closing night film.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Blonde wins Worst Picture at the Razzies, Might it be the best reviewed film to ever win Worst Picture?

Meanwhile, at least they poked fun of themselves over the Worst Actress debacle by awarding the Razzie in that category to the committee itself. But between the recent parade of having to rescind nominations and the Blonde hate wagon, it makes you wonder if the Razzies have officially lost their usefulness and that it's time to introduce a new rival that would put emphasis on critical response over industry insiders and anyone who pays the small fee to be a member. I haven't seen Blonde but I'm sure there were 25-30 snubbed titles that were far worse, including several that Netflix distributed.

Edit: Blonde isn't quite there. Mommie Dearest holds a 55 on Metacritic while Breaking Dawn Part 2 holds a 52. Blonde is third with a 50 score.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

transformers2 wrote:
February 28th, 2023, 3:25 pm
Renfield will have its world premiere at the Overlook Film Festival in New Orleans-where it was shot and is set-on March 30th. Now that it's out of the running, I wonder what will end up filling the closing night slot at SXSW. John Wick 4, Strays and Beau is Afraid seem like the most likely candidates.
Well, all those guesses were wrong :lol: Variety just confirmed that Air will be the closing night film.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

That seems like the most SXSW selection ever. Affleck and company seem to be desperate to get good notice on it.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

First reviews for Evil Dead Rise are actually decent. However, I did notice that no less than three of the six early positive reviews refer to the film as being a "blast", making me think that Warner Bros. might have paid for some of the good reviews in exchange for using them in ads. Also, some of those positive reviews come from sites known for quote whoring (IGN, Slashfilm, Indiewire). Interestingly, the one negative review came from of all places, The Playlist.

I wish there was a critic site that allows you to sort out the good reviewers from the ones who like everything and give you a personalized score that caters to one's taste.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The film tested really well too, well before the reviews. That's why the sxsw premiere, wb knew it would perform well with audiences

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Killers of the Flower Moon is the 1st officially confirmed title for Cannes. It will debut on May 20th. No word yet on whether or not will be compete for the Palm d'or.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny will be the big mainstream Hollywood blockbuster to premiere at Cannes this year. The film will debut on May 22nd alongside a career tribute for Harrison Ford. Following the official confirmation of another title that was widely believed to be screening at the fest, the final title from the small lineup dump that was leaked to the trades (Asteroid City) should be getting the same treatment shortly.