2023 Festivals/Awards Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: 2023 Festivals/Awards Thread

Post by numbersix »

Was a little surprised by the screenplay wins, as neither felt like the strongest of their categories.

And Emma Stone was a slight surprise, as odds favoured Gladstone.

I did win £100 on Cillian though, so I'm happy

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Stone was favored for months. The Best Actress category always seems to go to the popular American actor.

I figured Poor Things would win Best Makeup. There weren't too many nominees in that category with the wow factor that one had. It would have been ridiculous had Maestro won as its makeup was worse than the work done in Darkest Hour and Bombshell, two films that the same artist somehow won Oscars for.

Still shaking my head at people thinking Oppenheimer was well-edited. But then again, nothing was really well-edited this year. Killers of the Flower Moon had the best pacing of the nominees I saw but you don't see too many three-and-a-half hour movies getting praised for their editing.

Robbie Robertson should have gotten that Oscar. Killers of the Flower Moon's score was far more memorable than the generic Nolan backing track.

Can't say I'm surprised by The Zone of Interest winning Best Sound, as it is an immersive mix that uses surrounds well and isn't about being as loud as possible. I still don't get how it was nominated for Best Cinematography as it felt like it was shot like a CBS sitcom.

And again, I correctly predicted the Live-Action and Animated Short winners. If it's in English and/or has the backing of a famous director or was widely seen, that Oscar is yours.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Best Actress felt like a coinflip, but I'm with six, I figured it would be Gladstone since she won the SAG and the Oscars had only broken from the SAG winners 4 times in the previous 5 ceremonies.

six: How much did you have to bet on Murphy to win that much and when did you place it? The odds on the books over here were pretty shit once Murphy won the BAFTA, but he was a good value pick during that brief period after Giamatti won the Critic's Choice and it looked like it was going to be a real race.

And Boosh, The Zone of Interest wasn't nominated for Best Cinematography. The losers last night were Poor Things, Killers of the Flower Moon, Maestro and El Conde.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I thought I'd seen it was nominated for Best Cinematography. It must have been Best Sound.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

transformers2 wrote:
March 11th, 2024, 5:33 pm

six: How much did you have to bet on Murphy to win that much and when did you place it? The odds on the books over here were pretty shit once Murphy won the BAFTA, but he was a good value pick during that brief period after Giamatti won the Critic's Choice and it looked like it was going to be a real race.
It was around Jan, and had to put in £500 so the odds weren't great, but for me it was the best odds for a surefire bet. Others like Best Film and Director had pointless odds by then.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Gotcha. Those are pretty decent odds all things considered.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!