Most Anticipated Films of Fall 2022

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Most Anticipated Films of Fall 2022

Post by transformers2 »

Final stretch of 2022 is upon us. What is everybody looking forward to seeing?

10.Barbarian
9.The Son
8.Pearl
7.Violent Night
6.The Banshees of Inisherin
5.Amsterdam
4.Don't Worry Darling
3.The Whale
2.Glass Onion
1.Wakanda Forever

Also Plan on Seeing:
Honk for Jesus, Save Your Soul
God's Country
See How They Run
The Woman King
Bros
Smile
Tar
Triangle of Sadness
Decision to Leave
Halloween Ends
Till
The Good Nurse
Black Adam
Ticket to Paradise
Wendell & Wild
Armageddon Time
Call Jane
Run Sweetheart Run
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story
The Fabelmans
The Inspection
The Menu
She Said
Nanny
Bones & All
White Noise
Women Talking
Empire of Light
Babylon
The Pale Blue Eye

Might Watch:
God's Creatures
Bardo
Devotion
Strange World
Spoiler Alert
A Man Called Otto
I Wanna Dance with Somebody
The Wonder
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Most Anticipated Films of Fall 2022

Post by Buscemi2 »

I wasn't expecting to see The Son on your top list. I kind of got the idea that The Father wasn't your type of movie and this one is a spiritual sequel to it.

As for my list, I'll wait until I've seen more trailers or reviews. A lot of things don't look to be worth it (and in the case of Amsterdam, I have no idea what the film is about or why a 1930's-set story about an art heist has to do with changing American history or why the trailer uses a 60's protest song in its trailer).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
August 30th, 2022, 7:58 pm
I wasn't expecting to see The Son on your top list. I kind of got the idea that The Father wasn't your type of movie and this one is a spiritual sequel to it.
Occasionally I stick my head out of the dumpster and consume some real art.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Seen and love: Triangle of Sadness, Holy Spider, Decision to Leave

Maybes: Avatar 2, Moonage Daydream, Bones and All, White Noise, Amsterdam, Hellraiser, Tar, The Son

10: Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
I'm not sure if it can capture the magic of the first film, but I'm still looking forward to Daniel Craig and his awful accent.

9: Something in the Dirt
I'm very fond of Moorhead and Benson as people, so very excited to see their next no-budget film they churned out in between massive TV jobs.

8: The Menu
An intriguing concept, a decent trailer, the director behind much of Succession could make this a fun flick.

7: Don't Worry Darling
So there's been lots of controversery about this lately (my take: Shia is a deluded liar), and a clip that puts Harry Styles' acting ability in much doubt, but I still am curious.

6: The Fablemans
It's been a while since I liked a Spielberg movie, but this looks like an interesting curio, being his most autobiographical and intimate. We'll probably see this feature heavily at next year's oscars.

5: The Banshees of Inisherin
So, McDonagh the Greater (i.e. Martin) may be risking yet another twee depiction of Irish life (a phrase we call Paddywhackery), but he's a great writer so I'm hoping this reunion with Farrell and Gleeson will deliver.

4: The Stranger
This dark Australian thriller got some great reviews in Cannes this year, and it's due out in Oct on Netflix.

3: Women Talking
I don't know a huge amount about this yet, but it's Sarah Polley's new film, her first fiction one in over a decade, and that cast is incredible

2: Nanny
Outstanding reviews from Sundance and some interesting themes have me intrigued.

1: Blonde
A new Dominik film is always something to marvel, and from all accounts this is going to be an unflinching account of Monroe's life, and the very opposite of most biopics and their safe depictions to appease the family estate.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I've also read that Don't Worry Darling is apparently a disaster of a film but you hear those rumors a lot about certain high-profile films.

I'd be more interested in The Banshees of Inisherin if the trailer hadn't shown the whole thing in two minutes.

The Menu looks like yet another retread of The Most Dangerous Game. If Ralph Fiennes wasn't in it, it would have gotten dumped onto Hulu with limited fanfare like Searchlight's other food-themed horror film this year was.

And your description of Blonde makes it sound a lot like of when David Lynch was planning a Monroe biopic in the late 80's, even though this one is the second adaptation of the Joyce Carol Oates biography this one is based on. Lynch's project was shelved as it would have gone heavily into the JFK/Monroe conspiracy theories and much of the political elite then wasn't happy about him doing that. Lynch made Wild at Heart instead.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I hope Holy Spider gets released in the US over the next few months. Very curious to see that one.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

transformers2 wrote:
August 31st, 2022, 10:30 am
I hope Holy Spider gets released in the US over the next few months. Very curious to see that one.
Last I saw it was due out in October in the US

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

See How They Run has the funniest trailer I've seen in years, so that's my clear #1.

On paper, the idea of Liam Neeson as an aging Philip Marlowe is intriguing, but I'll need to see more than a production still to know for sure.

Don't Worry Darling has some nice visuals and an interesting cast, but I also suspect the story will be nothing but heavy-handed and predictable allegory. I'm not paying good money to see what might be a hot mess, but I'll probably check it out some day.

Nothing else has really piqued my interest, but I barely pay any attention to what's in the pipeline any more, so there might be a few more gems out there I don't know about yet.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
August 31st, 2022, 11:17 am
transformers2 wrote:
August 31st, 2022, 10:30 am
Last I saw it was due out in October in the US
Alright cool. Hopefully that sticks.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

As I said before, Don't Worry Darling just looks like a retread of The Stepford Wives and the official attempt at a remake didn't work so why would this one?

See How They Run looks more obnoxious than anything. it feels like the entire joke is that the characters have silly names and that's why were supposed to laugh. Also, I can't buy Sam Rockwell as English.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Something for John: the first word on Marlowe came out at San Sebastian and it looks to be pretty average for Neil Jordan. Not a masterpiece like The Crying Game, but not a disaster like In Dreams or Greta. Make that for what you will.