2022/2023 Festivals/Awards Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: 2022/2023 Festivals/Awards Thread

Post by numbersix »

Not sure if that was ever on the cards, considering the source material. It's one of the most unfilmable books I've ever read, and I've read Ulysses. It's highly theoretical and if NEtflix ever thought awards were on the cards they need psychological help.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Telluride lineup:

ARMAGEDDON TIME (d. James Gray, U.S., 2022) In person: James Gray, Jeremy Strong, Anne Hathaway

• BARDO, FALSE CHRONICLE OF A HANDFUL OF TRUTHS (d. Alejandro González Iñárritu, Mexico-U.S., 2022) In person: Alejandro González Iñárritu, Daniel Giménez Cacho, Griselda Siciliani, Ximena Lamadrid, Íker Sánchez Solano

• BOBI WINE, GHETTO PRESIDENT (d. Christopher Sharp and Moses Bwayo, Uganda-U.K., 2022) In person: Christopher Sharp, Moses Bwayo, Bobi Wine, Barbie Kyagulanyi

• BONES AND ALL (d. Luca Guadagnino, U.S., 2022) In person: Luca Guadagnino, Taylor Russell, Mark Rylance

• BROKER (d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, South Korea, 2022) In person: Hirokazu Kore-eda, Song Kang-ho

• CLOSE (d. Lukas Dhont, Belgium-France-Netherlands, 2022) In person: Lukas Dhont, Eden Dambrine

• A COMPASSIONATE SPY (d. Steve James, U.S.-U.K., 2022) In person: Steve James

• THE CORRIDORS OF POWER (d. Dror Moreh, U.S., 2022) In person: Dror Moreh

• EMPIRE OF LIGHT (d. Sam Mendes, U.K.-U.S., 2022) In person: Sam Mendes, Micheal Ward

• THE END OF THE WORLD (d. Matthew Tyrnauer, U.S., 2022) In person: Matthew Tyrnauer, Jonathan Lethem

• THE FUTURE TENSE (d. Christine Molloy and Joe Lawlor, Ireland, 2022) In person: Christine Molloy, Joe Lawlor, Molly Lawlor

• GODLAND (d. Hlynur Pálmason, Denmark-Iceland-France-Sweden, 2022) In person: Hlynur Pálmason, Ída Mekkín Hlynsdóttir

• GOOD NIGHT OPPY (d. Ryan White, U.S., 2022) In person: Ryan White, Steve Squyres

• HOLY SPIDER (d. Ali Abbasi, Denmark-Germany-Sweden-France, 2022) In person: Ali Abbasi, Zar Amir Ebrahimi

• ICARUS: THE AFTERMATH (d. Bryan Fogel, U.S., 2022) In person: Bryan Fogel

• IF THESE WALLS COULD SING (d. Mary McCartney, U.K., 2022) In person: Mary McCartney

• LADY CHATTERLEY’S LOVER (d. Laure de Clermont-Tonnerre, U.K.-U.S., 2022) In person: Laure de Clermont-Tonnerre, Emma Corrin, Jack O’Connell

• LAST FLIGHT HOME (d. Ondi Timoner, U.S., 2022) In person: Ondi Timoner, Morgan Doctor, Rabbi Rachel Timoner, and the Timoner family

• LIVING (d. Oliver Hermanus, U.K., 2022) In person: Oliver Hermanus, Bill Nighy, Aimee Lou Wood

• THE MARCH ON ROME (d. Mark Cousins, Italy, 2022) In person: Mark Cousins

• MERKEL (d. Eva Weber, U.K.-Denmark-Germany, 2022) In person: Eva Weber

• MY NAME IS ALFRED HITCHCOCK (d. Mark Cousins, U.K., 2022) In person: Mark Cousins

• ONE FINE MORNING (d. Mia Hansen-Løve, France, 2022) In person: Mia Hansen-Løve, Léa Seydoux

• RETROGRADE (d. Matthew Heineman, U.S., 2022) In person: Matthew Heineman, General Sami Sadat, Matt Chaney

• “SR.” (d. Chris Smith, U.S., 2022) In person: Chris Smith, Robert Downey Jr., Susan Downey

• SQUARING THE CIRCLE (d. Anton Corbijn, U.K., 2022) In person: Anton Corbijn

• TÁR (d. Todd Field, U.S., 2022) In person: Todd Field, Cate Blanchett, Nina Hoss

• TORI AND LOKITA (d. Jean-Pierre Dardenne and Luc Dardenne, Belgium-France, 2022) In person: Joely Mbundu

• WILDCAT (d. Melissa Lesh and Trevor Beck Frost, U.S., 2022) In person: Melissa Lesh, Trevor Beck Frost, Harry Turner, Samantha Zwicker

• WOMEN TALKING (d. Sarah Polley, U.S., 2022) In person: Sarah Polley, Frances McDormand, Rooney Mara, Claire Foy, Judith Ivey, Jessie Buckley, Sheila McCarthy, Michelle McLeod, August Winter, Kate Hallett, Liv McNeil

• THE WONDER (d. Sebastián Lelio, U.K.-Ireland, 2022) In person: Sebastián Lelio
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'd been wondering what Sr. would be about. All I knew about it is that Chris Smith directed it, which likely means it will be on Netflix soon.

I bet Mark Cousins' Hitchcock documentary is going to be 10% Hitchcock and 90% Mark Cousins talking about how great Mark Cousins is as he tries to speak to Hitchcock from beyond the grave about the ego that is Mark Cousins. I have no idea why he keeps getting financing for these projects.

Also, Don't Worry Darling was screened to the committee but they reportedly hated the film and passed.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Tar made quite the splash at Venice today. The pre-festival buzz surrounding Cate Blanchett's performance was re-affirmed with some even saying it's the finest work of her career and there's seemingly a consensus that it's Todd Field's best movie to date. It may prove to be too niche for the awards circuit, but it's certainly a title to keep an eye on.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The Future Tense is made by Joe and Christine, my neighbours, friends, and colleagues. I'm co-producing their next movie, so delighted to see them get into Telluride.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Early word on Bardo isn't so hot (62 on Metacritic), but it likely still gets awards buzz thanks to Netflix's bottomless lobbying budget (see Don't Look Up).

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
September 1st, 2022, 1:42 pm
The Future Tense is made by Joe and Christine, my neighbours, friends, and colleagues. I'm co-producing their next movie, so delighted to see them get into Telluride.
Oh shit, that's really cool! Congrats to them for making something that got selected for a notoriously picky festival and you for getting to work with people that had their work featured on such a massive stage.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Bones and All is looking very good from early reviews (I wasn't so sure, as Sky produced it and their choices in film aren't the best) but the apathy among voters towards horror makes it a long shot for awards.

As for box office, MGM's first poster for the film is not encouraging as to how it will be promoted. It makes it look like a cheesy paperback romance from the 70's.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:
September 1st, 2022, 1:42 pm
That is cool.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Women Talking premiered to strong reactions across the board, and seems like the second major awards contender of the festival after Tar.

Pearl, so far, has gotten mostly positive reviews, but there are a few pans as well.

Reviews for Empire Of Light seem very mixed.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Empire of Light seems to be like Belfast where most critics liked it a quite bit, but a vocal minority really hated it.

Very curious/excited to see the reactions to The Whale tomorrow.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I could see Empire of Light winning the audience award at TIFF

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I saw a comment that Empire of Light was getting praised for its performances and that Colman is a strong possibility to get nominated for another Oscar (this would be her fourth nomination in five years).

But yeah, I could see some hating it (the 63 on Metacritic is not great) and feeling that it's misplaced 80's nostalgia. But there are people who love that kind of thing and it could be like a Jojo Rabbit and escape mixed critical response to get awards buzz.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

The Whale is getting good early word on the whole, but unsurprisingly the highest praise has been aimed at the performances of Brendan Fraser and Sadie Sink. Both seem like they have a really good chance of securing their 1st Oscar nominations come February.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Looks like Don't Worry Darling's out of the awards race (50 on Metacritic) but The Banshees of Inisherin is very much in (92 on Metacritic). I do however believe the latter will have a hard time breaking out with audiences, as it looks far less mainstream than McDonagh's two previous films.