2022/2023 Festivals/Awards Thread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: 2022/2023 Festivals/Awards Thread

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think it was the timeliness of the story. Showtime already covered parts of the Sackler downfall earlier this year with Dopesick and it always seems like there's something new about the opioid crisis and society's refusal to do anything about it.

As for Triangle, I didn't like The Square either so I probably won't like this one.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

JohnErle wrote:
September 8th, 2022, 8:42 pm
if there's any must-see flicks you'd recommend, let me know.
I have to back up the Decision to Leave recommendation, clearly a must-see from Park Chan-wook.
Of the films that have not been cited yet, one I highly recommend is The Beasts, from Spanish director Rodrigo Sorogoyen, a highly tense drama superb on many levels.

Also if you enjoy absurd comedies, I have yet to see this one but the new Quentin Dupieux should be absurdly fun, Smoking Causes Coughing.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

The premise for Smoking Causes Coughing is delightfully absurd even by Dupieux's standards. Can't wait till it gets released in the US.

On the Toronto front, The Fablemans debuted to raves last night-which seemingly cements its place as a top-tier awards contender and Netflix may've found their horse in the Best Picture race with Glass Onion-which is widely being hailed as an improvement over the original. The Woman King, Bros, The Menu and The Inspection have also received notably positive reviews over the first few days of the festival.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Glass Onion is too populist to be a Best Picture contender (also, sequels to films that didn't get Best Picture nominations getting them almost never happens). Also, they have like eight or nine titles that will get campaigns.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Apparently, Warner Bros. had The People's Joker pulled from Toronto after a single screening. Reportedly, the studio has tried to claim the director is using the Joker character without their consent even though the film is a parody of the character.

This likely puts the US premiere at Fantastic Fest in doubt but I'm sure the film can be protected under the First Amendment (parody is considered fair use) and the end result could be more popular than expected as a studio that almost everyone hates right now is getting so scared that a small fan film might be more creative than anything that will come from DC Films.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah legally as long as they can argue they are changing the artistic intent of the work it falls under fair use. But. Big studio will bully and try to scare it off

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

It would be extremely funny if it ended up winning one of the Midnight Madness audience awards.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Looks like The Greatest Beer Run Ever's going to contend for Razzies instead of what was hoped when the project was greenlighted. Apple must be scrambling right now to find anything to compete for Oscars now.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Toronto Winners:
People's Choice Award: The Fabelmans
People's Choice, First Runner Up: Women Talking
People's Choice, Second Runner Up: Glass Onion
People's Choice Documentary: Black Ice
Documentary First Runner Up: Maya and the Wave
Documentary Second Runner Up: 752 Is Not a Number
People's Choice Midnight Madness: Weird: The Al Yankovic Story
Midnight Madness First Runner Up: Pearl
Midnight Madness Second Runner Up: The Blackening
Platform Prize: Riceboy Sleeps

By nabbing the People Choice win that it was widely expected to earn, it's clear The Fabelmans is the early Best Picture frontrunner. If recent history repeats itself, that also means it probably won't end up winning :lol:

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Looks like Roku is really going to have to do that awards campaign for Weird now. Seeing how it's coming out on a barren weekend, I have to imagine a few chains will want it as well.

The Fabelmans is a show business movie but might it be too populist for the Academy? I'd say depending on how good She Said is, that could emerge as the favorite. Another film about show business (and the same distributor, no less) but it's also potentially the rare case of that big, important movie that actually wins awards.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

She Said is an intriguing wild card this awards season, but even if it gets good buzz, I'm not overly confident that Hollywood is going to want to recognize a movie about bringing down Harvey Weinstien. There's undoubtedly a prominent group of industry folks that still quietly support him and if that group proves to be large enough, it could be enough to kill its campaign.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Well, Amsterdam is out of the race. Early word is not good at all and it should be enough to kill the modern ensemble cast movie (and hopefully Russell's career as well).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It looks rotoscoped films are no longer being considered animated features by the Academy, as Apollo 10 1/2 was ruled ineligible for Best Animated Feature for using rotoscoping techniques. Richard Linklater is appealing but it's probably unsuccessful as it seems like the people in charge of this category are vocal animation fans on the Internet who think rotoscoping and motion capture are cheating but using GoAnimate or stealing other people's art, reworking it ever so slightly, and posting it on DeviantArt and slapping "original content, do not steal" on it even though it was clearly stolen are not.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

First reviews on She Said are good but not great. It also apparently continues the problem of studio films being too safe with subject matter considered by the powers that be as being difficult, so I have to imagine some tinkering was involved.

So it's all up to Babylon, which looks like Baz Luhrmann's The Wolf of Wall Street, to contend with The Fabelmans for Best Picture. However, I have a feeling it's going to be Chazelle's first critical flop. I saw the trailer last night and it all looks and feels so empty.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Just watched She Said yesterday. It's trying to be like Spotlight, but suffers from similar problems - no real characterisation, and no one to connect with. I don't think it will perform like Spotlight either, though may get some acting nominations