So-o-ooo... What's new? :D

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

So-o-ooo... What's new? :D

Post by NicodemustheSage »

Since the swallows appear to be returning to Capistrano, thought I'd open things back up with the obligatory, "Hey, long time" thread.

Did everyone survive? (Seriously.) Everybody good? Any big news? (I've lost about 40 lbs. since The World Ended.)

--Rico. (Y'all can stop calling me, "Nico". Unless you REALLY want to. :) )
I remain, as always.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: So-o-ooo... What's new? :D

Post by Shrykespeare »

NicodemustheSage wrote:
June 27th, 2021, 6:45 pm

NEVAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

NicodemustheSage wrote:
June 27th, 2021, 6:45 pm

NEVAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Image?

Not much. People are still ignorant and Hollywood movies mostly still suck.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

I remain, as always.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Glad to have you back Nico. As you can see, things are a bit quieter, but still pretty much the same around these parts. Ditto goes for my life away from the board. Mostly just excited to return to doing some of the things I wasn't able to do over the past 15 months (going to movies, seeing friends, playing our wonderful game) and hoping that we're able to avoid re-entering the most brutal stages of the pandemic.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Glad to hear it, Tranny. In our area, movie theaters began opening back up in June of last year... We have been going, on average, three to four times a month, usually for kid-friendly re-releases. (I have snuck off a few times to see more adult-friendly fare, such as the grinding, excellent "Let Him Go", "Tesla" (a VERY strange but also oddly compelling film), and "Nomadland" (which I predicted would win Best Picture, after seeing it). Fortunately, we all stayed COVID-free; my "prepper" habits carried us through the bad days in March and April of last year well, and only a month ago, we finally used the last of the cheap toilet paper I had stacked in our storage locker. :)

Moviegoing, the film and television industries, and the production of scripted entertainments, like everything else, will and has changed -- it has been helpful for me to recall that it was the LAST major pandemic, in 1917-18, that more or less created the "modern" Hollywood studio system, and evolved the public experience of this art form from nickelodeons to exhibitor chains -- but I remain convinced that the theatrical experience WILL endure, though I think we've now passed "peak filmgoing". An age of innovation is about to dawn, I believe, which will be exciting, and may well move the industry forward in a way we haven't really seen since the mid-1970s (perhaps longer).

Anyway, it's good to be able to share these observations, ruminations, and predictions with people, especially, Fantaversians. ;)
I remain, as always.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

On a (most) serious note: Did everyone, their families, and their most valued people, make it through The Plague Years unscathed? More than what folks have been "up to", I'm very concerned to have an answer to this question. We were, once, a decent-sized community (thanks, most of all, to Shryke), and from a purely statistical perspective, I worry that, to quote Morgan Freeman's President in "Deep Impact", "the world [did] not go on for everyone".

...Anyway, point is: I pray and hope you all were personally untouched by the traumas of the past sixteen months, and are well now.

-Rick.
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

My uncle died in March but that was from a heart attack. And I did have a distant cousin die yesterday as she refused to get vaccinated.

Some people think they know better when they don't.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I've been very fortunate thus far to not have any loved ones or friends die from it.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

I'm very sorry to hear that, Boushh. Your cousin died of COVID-19 / complications of same?
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

She got it through her husband in the fall, then refused to get vaccinated for some reason or another, contracted it again, and was dead in less than two days. My mom told her to get vaccinated a month before the second diagnosis but wouldn't do it. The rest of her family is still undecided on whether or not to get the vaccine.

As you might have figured out, they were distant in both bloodline and on logic.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

My God, that's terrible. I'm so sorry.
I remain, as always.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I know a fair amount of people who contracted the disease, but no one that died from it. The closest I came was that a couple of my wife's friends in the Filipino community had relatives who died. The last family member I died was my dad, and that was in October 2019, from dementia. I give thanks every day that he did not have to endure even one second of this pandemic.