Most Anticipated Films of Summer 2021

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: Most Anticipated Films of Summer 2021

Post by undeadmonkey »

Just order quiet place 2 tickets for Saturday. It feels like Christmas over here :lol:

Definitely most anticipated of the summer

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

So you're saying it's going to be like the Oklahoma land rush this weekend?
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Cinemas opened in the UK this weekend and figures were good, despite the releases not being particularly strong (Those Who Wish Me Dead, and then the Oscar winners). France too, I believe

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Indeed, in France too the numbers are strong. In fact the numbers are off the charts. Cinemas had been completely closed everywhere in the country since last October. They have reopened last wednesday with a 35% capacity, and theaters are packed all over town here in Paris. In some cinemas, the numbers are even better than the same week in 2019, before the pandemic, with full capacity and Hollywood blockbusters in theaters. Right now, no Hollywood films are available, but strong French films, and a large array of European, North American indies, Asian and South American films.

I went and saw 5 films this weekend, Kajilionaire by Mirandy July, which was good, beautiful French animation Josep, Hong Sang-soo's The Woman Who Ran (a minor one from Hong), Quentin Dupieux' absurd and delightful Mandibules and my personal favorite, a French film called Garçon Chiffon, by Nicolas Maury, a film both hilarious and very moving.

But everywhere, the shows are sold out. Getting back into a film theater felt amazing. I have felt more emotion with Garçon Chiffon and Josep than with all the films I had watched on TV and Netflix ever since October.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

The box office is basically a lock to really turn around here in the coming weeks. The true summer season starts here this weekend and by the time the F9/Black Widow roll around in late June/early July, things should be at least nearly as good as it was before COVID. There's been a smattering of evidence in recent months that the appetite for the theatrical experience still exists and I think whatever doubt still exists in its viability will subside before too long.

Personally, I'm getting my second vaccine dose on Friday and will subsequently be returning to the theaters the following weekend to see A Quiet Place 2 and I'm ALARMINGLY excited to do so. The few times I went last fall were sincerely sad, strange experiences due to the overwhelming emptiness present in the space. Being in a movie theater with shuttered concession stands, no standees and empty auditoriums felt like I was trespassing in a condemned building. The last time I went to see Freaky in November was particularly disheartening as I literally saw 2 people that weren't employees the entire time I was there and they were coming through the front door when I was about 5 seconds away from leaving the premises. Absolutely thrilled to return now that it should at least somewhat resemble the bustling cinema wonderland that it had been for my entire life before the pandemic.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

I can't wait to go see AQP2 either. It feels like so long since I've been in a crowded theater jumping.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

It looks like theatres are set to re-open here on June 15th, assuming we don't get a another wave of cases now that restaurants are re-opening for dining and other restrictions are being lifted as of this week.

Honestly, I'm in no hurry to return to the theatre, unless one of the Sparks related films shows up in my neighbourhood theatre. I have no idea what else is on the horizon, so it would take something pretty special to get me back into a crowded movie theatre right now.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I only just saw a trailer for The Sparks Brothers today. I hope the film itself is better than the trailer, which makes the whole thing look like over two hours of talking head interviews (even though Sparks themselves say they didn't want it to be that) and Edgar Wright being self-indulgent. And last night, I saw a special Alamo Drafthouse promo for the film, which is less Sparks and more Wright being all in your face.

If the film is exactly like the marketing, I expect I will be bored for two hours and twenty minutes.

As for the release platform, it's apparently going to be a wide release even though Sparks wasn't that popular in the US.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.