Most Anticipated Films of Summer 2021

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Most Anticipated Films of Summer 2021

Post by transformers2 »

Been a while since we've been able to do one of these threads!

10.Candyman
9.Space Jam: A New Legacy
8.Wrath of Man
7.The Forever Purge
6.A Quiet Place Part II
5.Black Widow
4.Army of the Dead
3.F9
2.The Suicide Squad
1.Those Who Wish Me Dead

Also excited for:
Initiation
Oxygen
The Woman in the Window
Spiral
Blast Beat
The Dry
Riders of Justice
Plan B
HItman's Wife's Bodyguard
Fatherhood
Luca
False Positive
The Ice Road
Zola
Summer of Soul
The Tomorrow War
Escape Room 2
The Night House
Mandibles
Snake Eyes
Jungle Cruise
The Last Mercenary
Stillwater
John and the Hole
CODA
Don't Breathe 2
Free Guy
Demonic
Sweet Girl
Beckett
Gunpowder Milkshake

Might Watch:
Cruella
The Conjuring 3
Awake
Censor
Werewolves Within
First Date
Old
The Green Knight
The Protégé

Will watch Just to Figure Out Which Half of the Lisa Joy/Jonathan Nolan Duo is Responsible for the Shitty Parts of the Writing on Westworld:
Reminisce
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Most Anticipated Films of Summer 2021

Post by Buscemi2 »

The random capitalization at the end makes me wonder if Jaden Smith typed that.

With a lot of these, I think we're going to learn that COVID or no COVID, the film industry was doomed either way.

But my list will be rather small...

1. Gunda (opened in April but it doesn't come near me until May 21st)
2. Werewolves Within (just because someone finally let Milana Vayntrub carry a film)
3. Let it Be (whenever Disney finally reissues this long-finished restoration, which reminds me that I should also add the restoration of The Conversation)

And since you mentioned it, is Zola actually called Zola or @Zola? Or did A24 actually mean to call it Spring Breakers with Strippers?
Last edited by Buscemi2 on May 4th, 2021, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Believe @Zola is just a promotional title since it's based on a viral Twitter thread. And it ending up being the stripper equivalent to Spring Breakers is the best case scenario in my eyes.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm almost nervous about anticipating, lest a COVID varient ruins all the plans.

Here in the UK cinemas are due to reopen on the 17th, although with a bunch of films I've already seen. But what I'll aim to see are

Those Who Wish Me Dead: I bet it's a disappointing film but I'll give it a go, more likely on VOD than in cinemas.

A Quiet Place Pt II: The original was deeply flawed but the use of sound made for a cinematic experience. A definite for me

The Conjuring 3: The first film out in cinemas I'm mildly interested in seeing. Out here at the end of the month.

The Sparks Brothers: Blame John for this. Plus it's Edgar Wright so curious to see how he handles a documentary.

Candyman: The promotional stuff so far looked great, so curious to see what it's like.

CODA: A Sundance darling? Yeah, it'll probably disappoint but I'll check it out.

Zola: Good reviews for this one.

Luca: It's hitting cinemas in the UK, so I'll be certainly checking out Pixar's latest, especially since Soul was so good (and sadly not on the big screen, considering some of its beautiful visuals)

The Night House: Reviews have been great and trailer was okay. Been waiting a year and a half to see.

The Green Knight: This reminds me A LOT of Excalibur, so therefore I am A LOT excited about this.

Seen and recommend:
New Order
Censor
Ema

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Surprised Apple's releasing Coda in August. I figured they would have put it out in the fall.

And I'm still not won over on Luca. The plot just seems ridiculous to me.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I hate to ask, but did anyone watch Mortal Kombat? Were you as disappointed as I was?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I passed on it. I saw the trailer and thought to myself, "Who is Cole and why are we supposed to care about him?"

Also, no Johnny Cage.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 7:50 pm
I hate to ask, but did anyone watch Mortal Kombat? Were you as disappointed as I was?
Watched it and wasn't disappointed with at all. In fact, I thought it was about as good as a Mortal Kombat movie could possibly be. Tone was the right kind of campy, fight scenes had the manic rhythm of the game while still being clean enough to follow/appreciate the choreography and seeing the fatalities on screen was cool as hell.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

While doing my list, I was only using Box Office Mojo's incomplete sources and therefore forgot to list Riders of Justice (Friday) and New Order (May 21st). As a result, I should have listed New Order at #2 and Riders of Justice at #3.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Pretty much every major movie this week has a yellow score (or in The Woman in the Window's case, a red) on Metacritic. Just as I expected, it's not a good start for the summer movie season.

We should start a pool for what will be the first wide release or major streaming title to get a green score. I'm going to guess Luca, though I think it will lesser-tier for Pixar.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Declaring the summer movie season a disaster after 2 weeks is a little strong, particularly when 3 of the 5 "big" movies (Wrath of Man, Those Who Wish Me Dead, Army of the Dead) released during this brief stretch received relatively positive reviews on the whole and fell just shy of receiving the green Metacritic score quality benchmark you've set (Those Who Wish Me Dead is literally 1 point shy).

As for the hypothetical pool, give me a A Quiet Place Part II. It screened for critics before the shutdown last year and if I'm remembering the social media reactions correctly, it should be able to easily hit 61.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It looks like you were right on A Quiet Place Part II, though I have a feeling the score could drop a bit (thinking about 4-5 points at most, which would keep it in green range) as the date inches closer.

Meanwhile, Peter Rabbit 2 and F9 are busts according to early word. And the critic embargo still hasn't been lifted on In the Heights, even though there have been advance screenings, which is worrisome (edit: the embargo has been lifted and reviews are strong but I don't see it playing well outside of the coasts).

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Did Tranny just list everything that coming out as most anticipated? Honestly im so out of touch, i have no idea whats coming out or what to look forward to.

As much as i love film, it seems TV / streaming is the big boy now, nothing cinema can possibly do about it. That makes me sad.

Gaming is more popular than ever but seems like the best get stuck in development hell and then shift off in the wrong direction.

Still waiting for cheaper Virtual Reality stuff.

Been watching a ton of older movies, but sometimes you just want new stuff

Is Avatar still on the cards? I suppose im looking forward to that still

And yeah i watched Mortal Kombat, first 10 mins were promising, then it fell of a cliff. 3/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Avatar was delayed a bit due to COVID and Cameron moving production to New Zealand.

And Tranny always lists every movie. His wide-eyed optimism can get annoying sometimes.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
May 22nd, 2021, 7:44 am
And Tranny always lists every movie. His wide-eyed optimism can get annoying sometimes.
First time in my I've ever been referred to as a wide-eyed optimist, so thanks I guess?

Ron Burgundy wrote:
May 22nd, 2021, 6:14 am
Did Tranny just list everything that coming out as most anticipated? Honestly im so out of touch, i have no idea whats coming out or what to look forward to.
Not quite :lol: There's a number of reasons why there's always so much shit on my radar:
1.I like a wide variety of genres. Basically if it's not a stiff British period piece, egregiously corny musical or something by a filmmaker that I'm 100% positive I hate, I'll probably be willing to give it a shot and since there are more distribution channels than ever, the list of titles I'm interested in every season naturally tend to get longer and longer.
2.Exploring as many different avenues of cinema as possible while checking out new titles each year is really fun to me.
3.I'm not exactly a harsh critic.

Also to clarify, there's a pretty significant variance in my excitement level for each title-particularly in the second section. While there's some stuff in there that I'm excited about nearly as much as the titles in the top 10 (Zola, Riders of Justice, Luca), there's some others that I'm merely morbidly curious about (Spiral, Snake Eyes) or will only watch because I'm big fans of some of the key figures involved (Jungle Cruise, Free Guy). Obviously, WOM will also certainly kill whatever interest I had in some of those titles.