Best of 2019 (So Far)

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Best of 2019 (So Far)

Post by Buscemi2 »

But Six, did Child's Play need a remake? And did it need to be yet another "technology is evil" movie that only appeals to the Charlie Brookers of the world? In no sense of the world is it one of the 25 best films of 2019.

And I'd rather watch The Joker do stand-up than a lot of the comedians today that are popular, such as Bill Burr or Daniel Tosh.

Well, here's my 2019 list.

https://letterboxd.com/buscemi1/list/best-of-2019/
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: Best of 2019 (So Far)

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
June 19th, 2020, 9:32 pm
But Six, did Child's Play need a remake? And did it need to be yet another "technology is evil" movie that only appeals to the Charlie Brookers of the world? In no sense of the world is it one of the 25 best films of 2019.
Thank you for deeming it unfit to appear on a list of favorites that isn't your own.

I thought Child's Play was the rare instance of a remake doing something inspired. Advancements in technology allowed for them to approach the origins of Chucky differently and watching the character slowly morph from smart toy to knife-wielding killer because he grows to become protective of Andy/wants to make him happy made for an interesting new spin on the character. Also, it was just a fun-ass slasher movie with inventive kills and some great bursts of dark comedy (there's 1 sequence in particular that is easily one of the funniest things I've seen recently).
BanksIsDaFuture wrote:
June 19th, 2020, 6:09 pm
Joker the worst movie of last year? I need further information :lol:
To put it concisely, I found it to be an insufferable slog that tried embarrassingly hard to be "deep". Joaquin Phoenix and Todd Phillips' "LOOK AT US, THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS, TOPICAL FILM MODELED AFTER SOME EARLY SCORSESE FILMS ABOUT HOW THE SYSTEM FAILS PEOPLE WITH MENTAL ILLNESS THAT JUST HAPPENS TO BE CENTERED AROUND AN ICONIC BATMAN VILLAIN" act was so god damn relentless that I got exhausted by it very quickly. By the end, I felt like I had paid to watch somebody jerk off while patting themselves on the back for being so smart, brave and provocative for 2 hours.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!