New countdown list

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: New countdown list

Post by numbersix »

It's 800 albums and 8000 songs, dude. 8000 albums would be insane!

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

right, my bad, so you are human then.

unlike our french friend, who sees 80,000 movies a year
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ron Burgundy wrote:
unlike our french friend, who sees 80,000 movies a year
At least!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I've started compiling. First thing I did was go back to my top 100 albums list (which only was up to 2012) and pulled every eligible song that I had rated 5 stars into a list, then started going through my yearly lists. I'm only in 2014 and the list has over 200 songs, and that doesn't include any one-off great songs that were not from a particularly great album or albums that I had yet to discover then. Its not as crazy as six, but I'll probably have a list of over 500 to really listen through and pare down. Its going to be a process.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I haven't started compiling my list yet, but I'm REALLY glad that I've been keeping track of my favorite albums/songs every year throughout this decade. Definitely going to make this agonizing process a little bit less difficult.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

You mean it's not going to be all death metal??

Reviewing the songs we all posted 10 years ago, I figured yours would be the one with the least variation, tranny. Am I right, or have your musical tastes mellowed with another decade of age? Curious.

Also, good news... I've talked Shaan into joining our countdown. He wasn't even aware we did music!

So now we tentatively have:

Me
Six
Chien
leestu
NSpan
Surfer
Geezer
tranny
Ron B
JohnErle
Screen203
Shaan
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I will say this, my list is going to be entirely punk/rock/alternative type music (with one exception). There are some pop and hip hop songs that I have genuinely really loved over the past twenty years, but it would be way too difficult to try and track them all down. Pretty much everything on my list will be from bands I've seen live and/or actually purchased music from.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Ron Burgundy wrote:
Oh btw, is there any website that lets you collate this top 100 songs? like imdb or letterbox does for movies? Notepad sucks
I don't know of any...however besteveralbums.com (which is a great site for keeping lists, ratings, and rankings of albums) allows you to rate individual songs (and add to favourites) which you can then view your ratings in list order sorted from highest to lowest....but you wouldn't then be able to rearrange all the 10/10s in the order you want.

As of right now I have rated and/or ranked 1414 albums from 2000 onwards on the site.
Here is an example of what you can do with albums after you've been using it for a while.
- my top 100 of 2018

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=43010

Does anyone else here use besteveralbums.com or rateyourmusic.com or last.fm?

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shryke: While saying I mellowed out would be a stretch since I still listen to a shitload of extreme music, my taste has expanded considerably since the last time we did a countdown. They'll likely be some picks that will catch people off guard since I don't really post about music much in these parts anymore, but don't fret everybody, I'll still provide plenty of alienating metal and hip-hop tracks for your listening displeasure ;)

leestu: I use rateyourmusic and last.fm. Never heard of besteveralbums, but that single song ranking feature sounds super useful (that's about the only thing you can't do on rateyourmusic).

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

I'll probably be making a spotify playlist to create my list. Easy to add, remove, and reorder as you go along.

Tranny I've been listening to a lot more metal and hip hop since the last countdown. If you want share your last.fm username I'll add you. I'm Purplepash there.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Absolutely! Here's my profile: https://www.last.fm/user/mastodon421

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I have to admit this is a much bigger undertaking than I first estimated. You think the year 2000 was not that long ago, but indeed I then realise its been almost 20 years and in that time you can listen to a LOT of music (as well as becoming an adult, going to uni, getting jobs, getting married and starting families!). I started going through my iTunes account the other day and when filtering songs down since 2000 I discovered I have almost 20,000 songs on there! This is going to need the full few months preparation time required....

In terms of how my list is coming along, there will certainly be similarities to what my top 100 songs of all time list. However, I have found that while I still love the artists from that list, the songs themselves may not quite be the same as I have found myself preferring different ones over the years. There has also been a lot of good music since 2010, so that will certainly be reflected in my list, as well as I have discovered quite a few artists since then too that made music prior to 2010. Like tranny, it has helped that I have kept a record of my favourite albums over the past 5 years or so, and that will work as a decent starting point. I am still not sure if I am going to have to implement a 1 song per artist restriction just to make things a little easier!

In the end though, like the last list in 2010, this is the capture of a moment in time of what my favourite songs are, and that is always subject to change over time, but it is interesting to see how my interests fluctuate over the years.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I've started to asemble my list, for now about a third of my list consists of songs not in English language. Mostly French of course, but also 4 or 5 other languages. I hope you won't be allergic to songs you won't understand the lyrics of ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chienfantome wrote:I've started to asemble my list, for now about a third of my list consists of songs not in English language. Mostly French of course, but also 4 or 5 other languages. I hope you won't be allergic to songs you won't understand the lyrics of ;)
No worries. I can't understand the lyrics of many bands who "sing" in English.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Chienfantome wrote:I hope you won't be allergic to songs you won't understand the lyrics of ;)
This certainly won't be a problem for me ;)