Rate That Movie!

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Rate That Movie!

Post by Geezer »

Seen a movie in theaters recently? Tell us what you thought about it here, so we know whether to run out and see it, or avoid like the Swine Flu!
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Rate That Movie!

Post by Buscemi »

Surrogates **/****

The first two-thirds start well (in fact, they are better than anything in Terminator Salvation) but it really falls apart in the third act due to some obvious cuts and unexplained instances. Maybe Disney should have pushed the film back six months and reshot the last third (maybe with someone like Neill Blomkamp directing the reshoots).

And yes, that is Buzz from Home Alone as the computer hacker.

Where The Wild Things Are ***.5/****

One of the best films of the year. I hope Warner Bros. chooses to make this their big Oscar movie because it definitely deserves some nominations, including Best Picture. Max Records is perfectly bratty as Max, James Gandolfini is great as the leader of the Wild Things and the rest of the voice cast is also great.

Possible Oscar nominations for Where The Wild Things Are:

Best Picture (Warner Bros.)
Best Adapted Screenplay (Spike Jonze and Dave Eggers)
Best Visual Effects
Best Sound
Best Sound Effects Editing
Best Song (any one of the Karen O songs)
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

I saw Cirque Du Freak tonight, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but still not great. It was way too slow to get going and seemed like a made for tv Disney movie or something. I am a fan of John c Reilly, but he is not remotely believable as a suave vampire. I was also sad that Patrick Fugit had maybe 5 lines, at most. They could have totally used him more and gotten a much better dynamic out of it. Overall a good choice as a fun Halloween movie, better than most of the crappy horror flicks out there I'm sure, but it won't beat much of anything else.
4/10
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Where the Wild Things Are: 7/10

I found it to be rather boring. The message behind the film was good, but I found myself getting annoyed many times by the characters. I was not really impressed. Too strange and I don't see it appealing to kids either. It was very adult oriented and I think the kids would fall asleep. Overall, it could have been much better.

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

Agreed on all points, Geez.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

hmm, thats interesting geez, a 7 for me is a movie that is not great but i thought was still entertaining enough too like. but you dont seem to like WTWTA

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Saw VI: 7.5/10.

Much better than I expected. This one by far has the most story (aside from the first one), and it actually gets interesting as well. Ofcourse they didn't explain everything (BASTARDS!) and left it all open for the VII one, but i'll go again, before watching this one I was going to draw the line regardless.

Very smart plotline, they link up pretty much every Saw movie, and they bring in the core of 'Jigsaw' and showed us how the whole shebang works. I can't say anymore without ruining it, but it's a pretty good, and very entertaining movie.

Ofcourse the acting is exactly what you'd expect it to be for a Saw film, and they twists are there aplenty, but overall i'd recommend it if you like thrillers/horror/suspense movies.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Paranormal Activity - 8.5/10

This movie scared the living HELL out of me. The fact that they were able to make such a tense, scary thriller with only $15K is a testament to the people who made this film. Tiny movements, unseen entities and tension so thick you could cut it with a knife.... THAT's what horror is, not bullshit crap like Jennifer's Body and the like. I saw it in a packed theater, and I lost track of the number of audible gasps the entire audience made when something scary happened. Easily the scariest movie I've seen since The Ring.

I can see why this movie is doing so well. My God, I may not sleep tonight...
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Amelia - 5/10

Aside from a great performance by Swank, this movie has almost nothing going for it. It seems that Amelia Earhart's life simply isn't interesting enough for a film. They really only skimp on many things, like her being the first female pilot to do a lot of things and how she was shilling pretty hard after she got famous. They spent way too much time, trying to develop a love triangle and then it goes nowhere. They don't even touch on her disappearance other than some text at the end. Missed opportunity.

Saw VI - 6/10

It's really hard to rate most of the Saw sequels, since they kind of just blend together after Saw 3. They're still interested, but I think Hoffman is such a terrible Jigsaw - it's not even funny. He's an awful actor, I think him and Straum should've switched actors. The dad from Aliens in America would make a great new Jigsaw. Really liked the steam maze trap.

Where The Wild Things Are - 9/10

Really, really great movie. I didn't like Max at all before he got to the Wild Things, but I think that was the point. It's a testament to Max Records' performance that I really connected to Max throughout the rest of the film. James Gandolfini is great as Carol, they should consider giving Oscars for voicework after this. This movie had everything, it's the first movie in a while to actually take me through the whole gamut of emotions - funny, scary, excited, sad, etc. Music is also terrific, and helps set the mood.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

undeadmonkey wrote:hmm, thats interesting geez, a 7 for me is a movie that is not great but i thought was still entertaining enough too like. but you dont seem to like WTWTA
I basically use my ratings as if I'm a teacher grading a test.

A 7/10 is a C-, it still passed, barely, and I think it did so because the message was executed well and its a good one, but overall it wasn't a fun film to watch. I was just disappointed, C- grade. I don't see where all the praise and Oscar talk is coming from. At all.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Amelia - 5/10

Aside from a great performance by Swank, this movie has almost nothing going for it. It seems that Amelia Earhart's life simply isn't interesting enough for a film. They really only skimp on many things, like her being the first female pilot to do a lot of things and how she was shilling pretty hard after she got famous. They spent way too much time, trying to develop a love triangle and then it goes nowhere. They don't even touch on her disappearance other than some text at the end. Missed opportunity.

Saw VI - 6/10

It's really hard to rate most of the Saw sequels, since they kind of just blend together after Saw 3. They're still interested, but I think Hoffman is such a terrible Jigsaw - it's not even funny. He's an awful actor, I think him and Straum should've switched actors. The dad from Aliens in America would make a great new Jigsaw. Really liked the steam maze trap.

Where The Wild Things Are - 9/10

Really, really great movie. I didn't like Max at all before he got to the Wild Things, but I think that was the point. It's a testament to Max Records' performance that I really connected to Max throughout the rest of the film. James Gandolfini is great as Carol, they should consider giving Oscars for voicework after this. This movie had everything, it's the first movie in a while to actually take me through the whole gamut of emotions - funny, scary, excited, sad, etc. Music is also terrific, and helps set the mood.
Hmm... Three films in one day... You must have slacked off a bit during work today. Cleaning the projector room all day? :)
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

C- 7/10 really geez. Maybe im just weird a 7/10 is like a B or B- in my book.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Mine is a little skewed from teacher like grading... Under a 5 is an F. If it hits a 5 It's a D-.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

transformers2 wrote:C- 7/10 really geez. Maybe im just weird a 7/10 is like a B or B- in my book.
If you get a 70 on a test, do you get a B or B-? I didn't, but maybe schools are different on that side of the state :D

10=A+
9.5=A
9=A-
8.5=B
8=B-
7.5=C
7=C-
6.5=D
6=D-
Below 6 are varying levels of suck, meaning I really didn't like the film, but you won't see many of these from me because I tend not to see movies that I think have a chance of falling into this category. I have to be massively disappointed and I'm not really that hard to please.

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

Saw Paranormal Activity last night. Shrykey, I agree completely. This movie scared me more than any movie has since the Ring or BWP. I distinctly remember getting goosebumps twice during this movie. I LOVE horror movies and they just don't generally scare me anymore. Jump scares don't affect me at all unfortunately so I have to wait until a great cerebral scare comes along. This movie had that and more. As Shryke said, the tension was fucking intense. I will HAVE to write a review for this movie so I will not write more here. 10/10 stars. Holy shit I have been waiting for this movie for a decade. LOL

On a side note I saw the trailers for Avatar, Ninja Assassin, The Fourth Kind, and umm something else. All three looked great. The Fourth Kind looks awesomely scary and not at all how I pictured it. Ninja Assassin made my wife and I both say "We are watching that." simultaneously. I cannot believe how cool it looked. And Avatar looks and sounds great.
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me