Rate That Movie!

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Rate That Movie!

Post by Buscemi »

Looks more like a rehashed version of Stop-Loss but with better actors.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

KeyserSoze
The McMannus Brothers

Post by KeyserSoze »

Brothers didn't resemble Stop-Loss in any way shape or form.
Who'd win in a wrestling match, Lemmy or God? Trick question, dickhead. Lemmy is God - Chazz and Rex, Airheads

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Good. The end of Stop-Loss pissed me off.

As long as Brothers is more of a thriller than a war movie then I'll be fine.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Everybody's Fine ***/****

I don't understand the hate for this film. I guess it's just one of those "when you're in the mood" type movies. Anyways, Robert De Niro is great as the widower who's visiting his kids despite other circumstances. Beckinsale, Rockwell and Barrymore also make good support and it has some beautiful cinematography (I guess digital only works when you shoot in daytime and outdoors) and a nice musical score. A simple 95 minutes that make for a good matinee.

The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day **.5/****

A moderately good sequel to a really good first movie. Clifton Collins Jr. and Julie Benz (as a Southern belle FBI agent) are good additions but Troy Duffy's approach hurts the film big time. First, he doesn't bother the recap the events of the first film (it's been ten years, this isn't Lord Of The Rings or Harry Potter where the previous events are in everybody's mind). Second, there is little character development and many of the supporting characters (such as the Mafia and the cops) are one-dimensional stereotypes. Third, he puts in way too many gay and ethnic slurs (this may rival Funny People in 2009's most tasteless attempt to get cheap laughs). Fourth, the movie is 30 minutes too long. And last, he attempts to create an Irish Godfather Part II but he lacks the storytelling skills or interesting characters to do so. Maybe had they gotten someone else to write and direct (I think Pierre Morel of Taken and District B13 would have been a great choice as director), this could have been a great sequel. However, Duffy just seems to be another one-trick pony.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I disagree with everything, and I mean EVERYTHING you said about Boondock 2. It was a film made for the fans of Saints 1, the same way as Saints 1, by the same guy who did Saints 1 and it was outstanding, like Saints 1.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Funny enough...

The Boondock Saints 2 - 0/10

So fucking bad, I left after about 45 minutes. And I was watching it for free. Everything thing is awful, from the shitty acting to the horrible dialogue to ass backwards direction. He spends way too much time flashbacking to the first, we know what fucking happened, stop trying to remind us how good the first one was and try to make this one something worth watching. The first was good cheesy, this is just plain fucking bad cheesy.

I get that Julie Benz was supposed to be the Willem Dafoe character, but she isn't good enough to pull it off like he did. Everytime she opened her mouth, her head started to bleed.

Maybe I'll give it another chance on DVD, but I don't know if I'd wanna be tortured again.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

There were flashbacks to the first? Were we watching the same movie? I love how people can say good things about the first and say the second sucked when they are basically the same movie. My buddy even walked out and said "Well, it was cool, bt it wasn't so much of a sequel as it was a remake," because everything was done the same. Don't really get where you are coming from.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Did we watch the same movie? In what I saw, there were at least 5 flashbacks. And 3 of them were of the same moment (where they kill the mobster in the courtroom).

Yeah, it was a very, very bad version of the original.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Last edited by NSpan on December 6th, 2009, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

I do have to agree with Buscemi that the film was a little too long. I did really enjoy Boondock Saints 2 it was pretty silmilar to the first one but it accomplished what it set out to be. Troy Duffy is a good writer I would l like to see him do more work.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Troy Duffy is a horrible writer and director. Which is the reason he can't get anyone to finance anything that isn't directly related to Boondock Saints.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Duffy should have sold the film rights to Luc Besson's company. Now those are guys who can make good action films.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Fantastic Mr. Fox - A

if you can, catch this in the theater before it's gone... and bring the family... Wes Anderson doesn't disappoint in his attempt to recreate the charm of classics like A Charlie Brown Christmas and Disney's Robin Hood... in many ways, the whole affair is understated--and the project benefits greatly from it.... i wouldn't call it a "throwaway" (a term i've used in the past without pejorative connotation), but there's also certainly nothing "epic" about it... it's simple, light-hearted, and fun.. in that sense, it's somewhat of a return to his earliest work for Anderson... sure, there are mature themes and serious plot-points but none of the dark brooding that featured so prominently in the Darjeeling Ltd... as it stands, this is currently in my top 10 for the year
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Post by alyson »

Fantastic Mr Fox 8.33/10

I loved it, it totally lived up to my expectations. I am somewhat mixed on Wes Anderson (love Rushmore and Darjeeling, hated Life Aquatic) but I thought he really delivered with this. I didn't stop smiling through the entire thing - its happy with just enough quirkiness to keep it from being sappy. I can't wait to see it again.
Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

And three in a row....

Fantastic Mr. Fox - 8/10

I really expected some hipster, pretentious bullshit, but it surprised me by actually being funny. The plot is pretty thin, but you can tell the main voice cast had great chemistry together.

"I'm gonna lose my temper now."
"When?"
"Right now"
"OK, but when?"
*fox attack*