Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Post by Buscemi2 »

You might be the first person who actually raved about this one. Nearly every review and some of the audience reactions I've read have panned it.

Belfast 4/10

I feel like I know less about The Troubles after seeing this. For a historical document about Northern Ireland in the late 60's/early 70's, there seems to be more focus on what Van Morrison song is going to be used next than why The Troubles happened and there was this need to have a unified standard among the community of Belfast. Kenneth Branagh so desperately wants to be Spielberg but Schindler's List this is not. It's too lightweight and is more interested in trying to stand out than educating the audience as to why all this was going on. There are some positives (the cinematography, Balfe's performance) but in the end, Branagh was just the wrong choice to do this one. There is so much historical detail to go into and it gets thrown away in favor of mawkish charm.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Buscemi2 wrote:
November 22nd, 2021, 11:01 pm
You might be the first person who actually raved about this one. Nearly every review and some of the audience reactions I've read have panned it.
This surprises me. I consider myself a purist when it comes to the original film, and Afterlife captures the essence, the flavor so much better than any other film that had the Ghostbusters name slapped onto it. It has an innate charm and an adhesion to the history of its own universe that's undeniable. If I'm being honest, the moment when Venkman, Stantz, and Zeddemore showed up, while effectively bringing the story full circle, was the weakest moment of the film. Not that it wasn't great to have the band back together, but this was the next generation's moment. Thankfully, the kids held their own rather than being overshadowed by their predecessors.

If anyone else here sees (or has seen) it, I'd love to get your opinion.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Boosh isn't accurately representing the popular opinion on Ghostbusters. While it did indeed get torched by a number of big critics and some very vocal fans, the reception from audiences has been pretty enthusiastic overall. Personally, I've read far more glowing reviews like yours Shryke then I have scorched earth ones trashing the amount of fan service.

I'm waiting until next weekend to see it, but I'll be sure to post my thoughts here shortly afterwards.
Last edited by transformers2 on November 23rd, 2021, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I guess you're right, Tranny

It had a decent IM hold from Friday to Monday this weekend. cinemscore is A-

Audience score on RT is 95% too so perhaps the nostalgia is really working. Will be intereting to see how it holds.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Look forward to reading your takes, guys.

It's so surprising that a beloved franchise can actually succeed in recapturing it's old magic, even minimally, a full generation later.

Unlike, say, The Jurassic Park franchise, which well and truly jumped the mosasaurus so egregiously that even Star Lord couldn't save it.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Julia 9/10

Fascinating documentary on Julia Child and her long career in bringing French cuisine to the mainstream. In a way, this could be viewed as a companion film to Won't You Be My Neighbor?, which also focused on a famous figure in public television, but this one stands on its own with all of the stories about Child that we probably didn't know previously and its positive message of how it's never too late to make your mark on culture. Julia Child is an inspiration to us all and the reproductions of her recipes look very tasty on-screen. Highly recommended.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ron's Gone Wrong
Had this been released minus a global pandemic, maybe it would do better Box Office. That said, this movie is kind of anti-money anyways, this movie is more about the tech trends plus new world friends plus olden day values. Is it forced? Cant say. Is it funny? Not exactly. Did I like it? Yes, even if I wasn't biased. A first film from Locksmith Animations, though you can buy the soundtrack at Disney? So, its not a Disney film, but it kinda is. The villian is clearly based on a real life doppelganger and same with the company. At the end of the day, this was pleasant, a good break from reality, even if it tends to try to close the gap.
7.5/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Disney distributed the film as they inherited it from buying 20th Century Fox. Locksmith's next two films are being released by Apple while they have a development deal with Warner Bros.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Passing 9/10

Rebecca Hall's directorial debut is a subtle and hauntingly beautiful drama about a wife and mother in 1920's Harlem who catches up with her childhood friend, who is passing for white in her marriage to a racist. As the two catch up, she becomes more and more concerned for her friend as she struggles to continue living the lie. Tessa Thompson and Ruth Negga do exceptionally well in the leads and the cinematography is stellar, matching the look of a film from the era. And despite being directed by a reasonably-known actor (and produced by Oscar winner Forest Whitaker), it is about as far from Hollywood as your typical race drama. I'm surprised this isn't getting more awards attention but I guess there wasn't enough room for two black & white films in the race. Which is too bad because it deserves some.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Wolf 3/10

Guy thinks he's a wolf and ends up in an institution where other people think they are animals. I'm convinced the only people who could get enjoyment out of this one are furries. For everyone else, there's little to enjoy from this boring film that takes itself far too seriously. But it's at least somewhat original compared to other recent genre fare.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

transformers2 wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 6:07 pm
Boosh isn't accurately representing the popular opinion on Ghostbusters. While it did indeed get torched by a number of big critics and some very vocal fans, the reception from audiences has been pretty enthusiastic overall. Personally, I've read far more glowing reviews like yours Shryke then I have scorched earth ones trashing the amount of fan service.

I'm waiting until next weekend to see it, but I'll be sure to post my thoughts here shortly afterwards.
Been a few weeks, Tranny... did you see G:A?

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

So, finally after months of waiting, i got to see Dune. I went in knowing as little as possible, deflecting reviews and spoilers left and right. And the wait was well worth it. Caught it on I-Max, or V-Max here, better sound, comfy chairs. So the things i liked; the atmosphere, colouring (very sandy), buildup (1st 3rd was excellent), the acting was quite good and the tense moments were intense. Not much i didn't like, revealing that here would mean spoilers so ill leave it, very minor plot holes- but that was probably from the book more so from the director. All in all, a great cinema experience and i can't wait to see the next one....or two?
8.5/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare wrote:
December 6th, 2021, 10:44 pm
transformers2 wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 6:07 pm

Been a few weeks, Tranny... did you see G:A?
Yeah, I did on Saturday. For the most part, it felt like being a spectator to an inside joke that I wasn't really in on (I've only seen the original Ghostbusters once and that was roughly 15 years ago). Everybody in the know are clearly having a great time basking in the glow of their knowledge while I'm sitting there slightly confused and thoroughly alienated trying to piece together what exactly is making them so excited. :lol: I will say that I'm glad that hardcore Ghostbusters fans like you got the sequel/reboot you were always hoping for. That's kind of a rarity these days for people who love classic franchises.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

C'mon C'mon 5/10

A decent second half can't overcome a dull first half in this attempt at trying to make a modern-day version of a Woody Allen drama. One of the biggest issues with the film is that you really don't care too much for the characters and much of their escape feels inauthentic, as how rich, well-off people would get away from their problems. But I did prefer its adult-child relationship more than the men's rights fantasy that was Marriage Story.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Lost Daughter 3/10

Something must have gotten lost in adapting this Italian story into English because the end result does not make a whole lot of sense. What is purported about a vacationing translator looking back at her past decisions really seems to be about the theft of a kid's doll. As a result, we are left with a character we don't care too much about committing the pettiest of acts and not much of a point otherwise. Had this not been directed by a Oscar nominated actor making her directorial debut, I'm sure this wouldn't have been made or be getting the praise that it's getting. By anyone else, it would be seen as flat and lifeless. Because that's exactly what it is.