Rate That Movie 2!: Electric Boogaloo

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Rate That Movie 2!: Electric Boogaloo

Post by Shrykespeare »

Stone - 3/10

I expected some kind of noirish drama, but what I got was sad and booooooooooooring. Even Norton became annoying after a while, and that may be a first.

Takers - 5/10

Meh in just about every possible way.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - 8/10

Great conclusion to the trilogy. I really hope the two stars find their way into some English-language movies, I really like both of them.

Also re-watched Red (9/10) and Secretariat (8/10). Good stuff.

That makes 91 films from last year that I've seen. Nine to go. Hope to see Let Me In and Conviction this week.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: Rate That Movie!

Post by undeadmonkey »

Noomi is the female lead in Sherlock Holmes 2. (For whatever that is worth, i know Rachel McAdams was the female lead in the first and was in about 5% of the movie) but she seems to have a pretty big part, hope i'm right.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Rate That Movie 2!: Electric Boogaloo

Post by Buscemi »

Noomi Rapace will also be in Ridley Scott's new movie, Prometheus (she's a fan of his and her admiration of Scott's films got her the lead). She was also attached to Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters but left due to work on Sherlock Holmes 2 and Prometheus (Gemma Arterton took over her role, which ends up lowering the box office potential since the hype on her hasn't materialized).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ahh, so you locked the first thread after 100 pages... good call.

Good to hear that news about Noomi. I knew she spoke some English, because she did so in The GIrl Who Played With Fire. Not that that proves that she's fluent, but still.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Love the thread title.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

The Disappearance of Alice Creed - B-

It's got a great premise, with some nice 2nd act twists thrown in there. And Eddie Marsan is always great as a villian. But the ending was a little too predictable. Still really liked it though. And it's convinced me to seek out more Gemma Arteton movies, other than her bit parts in American ones.

And this may be the ONLY serious film to have comedic outtakes as an extra that I've ever seen.

Plus, if you want to see Gemma Arteton topless, this would be a good way to go.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Hereafter - 6/10
The film would have been much better had Eastwood chosen not to include a French part in it. The San Francisco segment and the London one are very fine, but the French segment is very weak. It falls flat. But Damon is solid as usual, and the exploration of the coping with loss is nicely handled.

The King's Speech - 6/10
It's a nice little film. A good little film. But for me there's nothing great about it, except probably the performances by Firth and Rush. But it's so disappointing in terms of historical and political ambition. It could have been such a dense film on the time depicted, but in the end, it's just a little story that does not stray past the obvious. I still had an good time watching it, but it felt a bit vain.

Largo Winch 2 - 7/10
Don't know if you even heard of the first one, a french action/adventure comic book adaptation. I just watched the sequel at a special advance screening tonight with the producers, director and actor. A cool french action film, with great character development after the first film. It's fun, it's cool, a great entertainment.

I just got back from that last screening, and on the way home, I stumbled upon... Alain Delon and Jean-Paul Belmondo in a restaurant a few yards away from my place. Delon is on stage in a play nearby since last week, and it seems tonight he invited a few friends to come see him in the play, and there was notably Belmondo among them. Tonight I've seen Delon and Belmondo together. It just made my night !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

That's awesome, Chien. I've never met any celebrities but you met two legends together in one night. Lucky.

The only things I know about Largo Winch was that he had a syndicated TV show and a PlayStation game in the US. Maybe I'll give it a shot some time.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

127 Hours - 8/10

Great to see Boyle back on form after the largely underwhelming Slumdog Millionaire. Visually it's stunning, and the use of the cut screens works really well, while the music is very fitting too. But without doubt the strongest aspect of the movie is Franco. Up until now I've though he was a decent actor who was always likeable to watch, but man, that was a stunning performance. I don't care how good Colin Firth is in The King's Speech, I haven't seen it yet, and probably won't till the DVD, but it'd take something phenomenol for him to improve on James Franco's performance. I don't think I've seen a better male performance for a good few years, and how he maintains that despite playing 90% of the movie solo is amazing. He's so compelling to watch, despite what may appear a movie with little to maintain your interest. He makes it so intriguing, the run time flies past while you watch him go through so many emotions, at times he looks so physically drained and you really feel his pain (and this is before the climax scene). It's an entertaining, gripping and suspenseful movie, and one of Boyle's best.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Meh.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Reservoir Dogs - 7/10

Yeah, after all the needling and browbeating from various parties, I finally saw this movie. I DVR'd it when I noticed it was on the cable.

Keeping in mind this was QT's first directorial project, it was very good. The shot-out-of-sequence bit is, of course, the norm for QT, the dialogue was crisp, and the acting was very good.

My biggest beef was that the characters just weren't that interesting. Maybe it's because I waited too damn long to see the movie, but there's nothing I can do about that. Steve Buscemi was his usual brilliant, funny self, and Tim Roth was likeable, as was Harvey at the end, but other than that, not really. I also wish they could have showed the actual holdup scene rather than just its aftermath.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

NSpan wrote:Meh.
My feelins exactly. What a letdown, after the greatness of Slumdog Millionaire.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

No Strings Attached - B

A typical and usual rom-com, elevated mostly due to Portman's presence. It's got a couple of funny lines, but it's nowhere near Forgetting Sarah Marshall or Knocked Up when it comes to really funny romantic comedies.

Lake Bell was also unexpectedly the best thing about it, aside from Portman. Her neurotic producer was a great character, and she nailed it.

And if you liked the cursing, rapping Natalie Portman from the SNL rap, you'll like her here. She really should do more R comedies - her in an Apatow movie would be priceless. Right now, I'm just imagining her in the Heigl role in Knocked Up - she would've DESTROYED that part.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shryke, you watched it on Cable? It was probably edited right? I mean, you'd have to cut out half the freaking dialougue for it to be shown on tv.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

He probably meant pay cable. I think Showtime airs it sometimes.