What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in Time

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

SuperShaan
Oldboy

Re: What Are You Watching Right Now? Episode 3 - Turtles in

Post by SuperShaan »

The Wire is superb; season 4 is my personal favorite.

Southcliffe was brilliant, truly engrossing and incredibly tense to watch, one of the most haunting dramas I've ever seen, wonderful performances as well; especially Rory Kinnear. Not for everyone though, it is very bleak.

I watched Quentin Dupieux’s Wrong a few days ago, and it truly was a bizarre experience. It’s a very surreal film and at certain points it can get quite nonsensical, there’s a whole subplot with the main characters gardener which just flew over my head. That being said I found it relatively funny and Jack Plotnick as main character in search of his dog was great. Has any one seen Dupieux’s previous film Rubber? Is worth checking out?

I also watched Clear History the Larry David TV movie. Very similar in style to Curb You Enthusiasm (of which I've only seen a handful of episodes), lots of awkward situations and goofy gags provide laughs. Enjoyable but nothing special.

I was going to watch Upstream Color the other day, but it’s getting a UK cinema release at the end of the month so hopefully I’ll be able to catch in theaters.
Mein Führer! I can WALK!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I've seen Rubber, certainly an interesting watch, very funny in moments, but not something I think I'll watch again. Very original if nothing else. And I'm looking forward to Upstream Colour too, hoping it gets a release around here.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Wrong was a much improved film from Rubber. Rubber would have been better had it been the horror/comedy it advertised rather than the surrealist work that it ended up being (though it is still a serviceable work, it just didn't live up to the trailer and great Boris Vallejo poster).

With a poster like this, the film should have been a classic.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

SuperShaan
Oldboy

Post by SuperShaan »

That is one very cool poster, very grindhouse-esque. I guess having seen wrong, I won't be too surprised by the surreal and absurdest moments in rubber.
Mein Führer! I can WALK!

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

I loved Rubber, completely absurd and consistently hilarious. One of my favorite B-movies of all-time. Back on topic...

Mud 7.5/10
Solid albeit unspectacular coming-of-age-story. The performances undoubtedly drive the film with Matthew McConaughey killing it as the mysterious yet very likeable title character and Tye Sheridan and Jacob Lofland as the kids who get caught up in his web of crime, mystery and romance. The film's main plot with Mud and the kids/Juniper (Reese Witherspoon) was well-done but the subplots with Eilis's parents and his relationship with a high-school girls seemed forced and take away from the power of the main narrative. I don't entirely see what all the hype was about, but Mud is still a worthwhile and (mostly) well-crafted film with a handful of excellent performances.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Last night I went to see Stanley Kramer's It's a mad mad mad world which I had never seen. A bit too long but still goofy and highly enjoyable adventure along the roads of California, where a groupe of people are on the hunt for $350,000 hidden in a park, and it's every man for himself to find it first. Spencer Tracy plays the cop observing the race to be ready to catch the wanted money once it's found, and along the road you encounter cameos from Jerry Lewis, The Three Stooges, Buster Keaton and a few others. 7/10
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Terribly Happy - 6/10
Some of us may remember it as a surprise PTA hit a few years back. This is a very entertaining Danish noir, in which a troubled cop arrives at his new district, a remote rural town consisting of a few houses and a single bar. Insular is not the word for the locals who are more interested in administering their own discipline than following the law. The new cop gets involved with the wife of a hot-headed local, and events start to spiral out of control as we learn of the cop's past. While hardly original, the direction aims for an almost darkly comic slant, and is not afraid to both surprise and turn the tables on who we should be sympathising with. It's more style over substance, but it's certainly an enjoyable style.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Chienfantome wrote:Last night I went to see Stanley Kramer's It's a mad mad mad world which I had never seen. A bit too long but still goofy and highly enjoyable adventure along the roads of California, where a groupe of people are on the hunt for $350,000 hidden in a park, and it's every man for himself to find it first. Spencer Tracy plays the cop observing the race to be ready to catch the wanted money once it's found, and along the road you encounter cameos from Jerry Lewis, The Three Stooges, Buster Keaton and a few others. 7/10
I have a family member that told me he watches It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World every time it on TV. He was drafted during just before Vietnam and spent the entire time in Germany and had nothing to do, so he watched it something like 20 times with friends when it came in theaters (in Germany). Watching it reminds him of that and those people.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is James Rolfe (aka The Angry Video Game Nerd)'s favorite film. He has copies of the film on every home video format (even Betamax and CED).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

20 times in theaters ! Woah. Plus all the times he watches it when it's on TV, he must know all the lines by heart !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:Terribly Happy - 6/10
Some of us may remember it as a surprise PTA hit a few years back.
Mmm... nope I have absolutely no recollection of that one.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Toy Story 3 was playing on TV tonight and I couldn't help watching it, I hadn't seen it since theater. Aaaaand it left me with tears in my eyes, again :cry:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Finally got to see Alex Cox's debut Repo Man - 6/10
A messy film in all senses, exploring the punk movement in LA while also delving into criticisms of capitalism in between bouts of action, comedy, and a sci-fi story inspired by 50s B-Movies (and perhaps a nod to noir-closing Kiss Me Deadly). It's all over the place in a way, but just about playful enough to make it a distinct and entertaining piece of no-budget cinema.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I've been watching a few (okay, a lot of) movies lately and this is one that may have just made my Top 100 on second viewing.

Annie Hall

The first time I saw it (as a teenager), I really liked it but I didn't love it. But seeing now as a 23 year old, I now realize that it's probably the best romantic comedy ever made. Not only is the film a laugh-per-minute riot but it is also perhaps the truest portrayal of romance I've seen in a film. The good times, the bad times, the inner voices and even the fourth-wall breaking, it's all real in some way. From watching Annie Hall, I've realized that we are all Alvy Singer and that all of us have an Annie Hall at some point in our lives. I don't want to give anything away (or state the obvious) but you know what I mean.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

It truly is one of the very best Woody Allen film, if not the best.
Fluctuat nec mergitur