Rate That Movie 2!: Electric Boogaloo

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

MisterInformative
Juno MacGuff

Re: Rate That Movie 2!: Electric Boogaloo

Post by MisterInformative »

The Dark Knight got the awards it deserved.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Wow, comparing the last Harry Potter film with The Dark Knight is like comparing The Lincoln Lawyer with, I don't know, Seven or something :lol:

How can you possibly say it would be a snub that Harry Potter don't get nominated all over at the Oscars Boosch ? Come on, stop the jokes ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

MisterInformative wrote:The Dark Knight got the awards it deserved.

Hear, Hear!!!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Chienfantome wrote:Wow, comparing the last Harry Potter film with The Dark Knight is like comparing The Lincoln Lawyer with, I don't know, Seven or something :lol:

How can you possibly say it would be a snub that Harry Potter don't get nominated all over at the Oscars Boosch ? Come on, stop the jokes ;)
The reviews were comparable (I think Harry Potter was a few Rotten Tomatoes points higher than The Dark Knight) and the reception was great on both films. A Best Picture snub on Harry Potter will create a similar outrage from fans and non-fans as it did The Dark Knight.

Also if you want to send it off, shouldn't it be in style (like with Toy Story 3)?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Anyway, a pair of reviews.

The Debt ***/****

An entertaining thriller about three Mossad agents and a mission in East Germany that continues to haunt them after more than three decades. Jessica Chastain (in possibly her first lead role, despite being billed third) does a great job, Helen Mirren and Tom Wilkinson as good as usual and even Sam Worthington has a decent performance. The action is well-done and the story is a good one. A nice late Summer surprise.

Contagion ***/****

A thinking man's disaster film. Though a bit on the talky side, it is a compelling thriller about an illness and the lives of many people around it (from the husband of a victim to a CDC representative who has conflicts of interest to a conspiracy theorist trying to make a buck). Though the average audience member may expect violence and external races against time, it is really more about the internal conflict and dealing with loss and fighting back. The acting (filled with many names, such as Matt Damon, Laurence Fishburne, Marion Cotillard, Kate Winslet, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law, Bryan Cranston, Jennifer Ehle, Demetri Martin and John Hawkes) is very good as well.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

I haven't read reviews that said Harry Potter is an important film, or a film that will mark its time in the genre, like reviews might have said about The Dark Knight. What most reviews said was that that last Potter film was the best, or was a great way to end the series or etc. The last Potter film was not singled out as an astounding film on its own, it was always put in the perspective of the saga. Which is normal, given it was the last film of a long saga. But which is also revelatory of a film that is not Oscar worthy, not for the major categories.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

MisterInformative
Juno MacGuff

Post by MisterInformative »

Buscemi wrote:
Also if you want to send it off, shouldn't it be in style (like with Toy Story 3)?
... by nominating it for Best Animated Film?

What I think you MEANT to compare it to was Lord of the Rings.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I think we can agree that the entire Harry Potter SERIES changed something in the realm of popular fiction and film, but the last film itself? I don't see it happening. It still might get a nomination, though. Depends on what happens the next few months.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I hardly remember any reviews (other than fanboy sites, who will hype anything as long as you pay them to) saying that The Dark Knight was a masterpiece that would change movies forever. I simply remember it being called "the best comic book movie ever" (not really an accomplishment, seeing all of the cheese that comes from that genre) or "an even better sequel".

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:Harry Potter got a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes. Almost everyone (critics, audiences and possibly the Oscar members) loved it. If it gets ignored, it will be The Dark Knight all over again.
Not almost everyone loved it, just a lot of critics said it was the best of the franchise, and so Rotten Tomatoes gave it a positive. RT is not an accurate barometer and we should really stop treating it as so

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Yeah, I generally look at RT as a barometer of whether a movie is bad or good, though it can't be taken as anything more than that. 97% means most thought it was good, so I take it as a good movie. Doesn't mean it's great, but it's worth watching.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Contagion: 9/10

Very good movie. Tense throughout, edge of your seat thriller. Wonderful cast and everyone put in a great performance. Some characters could have been flushed out a little better but its a minor flaw for an otherwise great film. Loved it. Probably number 2 for the year, behind the current topic of discussion on this thread.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Havent actually seen the last Harry Potter, but when i read the book, i never thought it was goin to be the best, could it be that its any good because they split it into two parts? I mean even if u r not a fan seeing the epic finale to such a big franchise will be good, right? (the book said it wasnt gona a flop). And u just cant compare it to TDK, which was different ballgame to HP8 altogether, 2nd film in a series to the final and 8th movie? come on.
For such a big movie, i always like to go with word of mouth rather than RT, TDK and Iron Man for example had similar WOM.

Cant wait for The Hobbit....

Anyway,

I watched Horrible bosses the other day with german and french subtitles, but that wasnt a prob, the movie itself was ok, it had a few decent laughs, but a few too few u know what i mean. I could have watched the 3 muskateers here, i might do that 2moro. HB 6-10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Somebody scrounge up the archived thread from 2008's Oscars. More importantly--pull up the thread where we discussed our personal "Top 10s" (or whatever we did that year? Top 5? Top 25?) Then count how many votes Christopher Nolan received by the Fantaverse. That should settle things in terms of our community's prevailing opinion.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Chienfantome
Tyler Durden

Post by Chienfantome »

Buscemi wrote:I hardly remember any reviews (other than fanboy sites, who will hype anything as long as you pay them to) saying that The Dark Knight was a masterpiece that would change movies forever. I simply remember it being called "the best comic book movie ever" (not really an accomplishment, seeing all of the cheese that comes from that genre) or "an even better sequel".
Well I did not said they wrote it would change movies forever. Don't try to twist my words Boosch, it won't work with me ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur