Rate That Movie!

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

VinceNotVance

Re: Rate That Movie!

Post by VinceNotVance »

Hey I'm a newbie! Ok I'm going to try this out with the last movie I saw in theaters (and I'm already going to maybe butt heads, though not intentionally, with "transformers2").

4/10- Ninja Assassin. I wrote a review for IMDb but I'm too lazy to regurgitate or even link to it. Bottom line- the story is horrendous, the acting is sub-par, and the action is too blurry, too poorly filmed/edited/lit and way too over the top to be considered entertaining. The film needed to either be grounded in some semblance of reality (by laying off the video-game-esque gore) or the very opposite. While attempting to be both ridiculously over-the-top and self-serious, it fails at both things. The film seems more like a 90 minute live-action trailer for the Video-game tie-in instead of an actual movie.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Welcome Vince, did you have a different username on FM?

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

Away We Go had so much damn FLUFF... decent enough to look at, i suppose--and quite nice to listen to (though some of the better songs are already associated with other films)...........but where was the CONTENT?

that said, i kinda liked it
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I thought Away We Go was excellent.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

Leestu wrote:Extras is something special. Highlights are the Orlando Bloom episode and the Daniel Radcliffe ep. Such good sports to mock themselves, and so funny.
That show is great. Those episodes are brilliant. I also loved Sir Ian McKellan's episode.
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

VinceNotVance

Post by VinceNotVance »

undeadmonkey wrote:Welcome Vince, did you have a different username on FM?

Thanks. I was "danterandal19" back during the days of FM. I like my screenname better now.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

VinceNotVance wrote:Hey I'm a newbie! Ok I'm going to try this out with the last movie I saw in theaters (and I'm already going to maybe butt heads, though not intentionally, with "transformers2").

4/10- Ninja Assassin. I wrote a review for IMDb but I'm too lazy to regurgitate or even link to it. Bottom line- the story is horrendous, the acting is sub-par, and the action is too blurry, too poorly filmed/edited/lit and way too over the top to be considered entertaining. The film needed to either be grounded in some semblance of reality (by laying off the video-game-esque gore) or the very opposite. While attempting to be both ridiculously over-the-top and self-serious, it fails at both things. The film seems more like a 90 minute live-action trailer for the Video-game tie-in instead of an actual movie.

Not butting heads at all man! Everyone has their own opinion and those are valid reasons not to like the film. As i already said the only reason i enjoyed was because I found the action to be very good but the rest of the film was pretty weak.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

NSpan wrote:Away We Go had so much damn FLUFF... decent enough to look at, i suppose--and quite nice to listen to (though some of the better songs are already associated with other films)...........but where was the CONTENT?

that said, i kinda liked it
Oh man, I hated that movie. Pretty much agree with everything else...hell, those were the main reasons I hated it.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Everybody's Fine - 5/10

Nothing really special here. I'm assuming all this talk about a great performance from DeNiro is because he's finally playing a human being, not just occupying a hollowed out shell of his former acting glory. The scene in the hospital at the end is touching though, it's just not enough to excuse the previous 100 minutes of nothing-ness.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Armored - 8/10

Nice surprise here. Dillon and Fishburne are great as the villains here, as they try to get the rookie who's ruining thier heist out of the armored truck. Terrific action, some good twists and turns, and it's neatly wrapped up in under 90 minutes. Good and to the point.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Where the Wild Things Are 6/10

This was a potentially great movie done badly. There's some magical moments, and I applaud Spike Jonze for using Hensen suits and real effects. The voice-acting of the wild things is exceptionally good, but there's not enough to justify the films's running time. Once you see through the metaphor, which really doesn't take long, things get really slow. Which is a pity because there was space to develop things more, such as WK's friendship with the two owls (that was just ignored, and there was loads of potential drama there). I also think the ending could have been taken further. Instead of seeing that Max realised the error of his ways and how he has grown up a little, we just get a sense that he returned home and was forgiven by his bleeding-heart mother who takes too much crap from him. It wasn't enough for me.

Zombieland 6/10

This was a potentially bad movie done well. Comedy horror rarely lives up to its expectations. Even the best examples, like Shaun of the Dead, isn't as good as I always hope it is before watching. But, I can't deny that Zombieland was fun. Mostly because of Woody Harrellson, who is brilliant in his role. I think Jesse Eisenberg was the worst part, either over-delivering or under-delivering most of his lines. The famous cameo was hilarious. And enjoying the action scenes it makes me wonder if True Lies killed the action film, by showing that the kind of overblown stuff we saw in the late 80's and early 90's just couldn't be taken seriously, and the only way to make it enjoyable was to go the comedic route.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Well, six, that's the point of the book, and therefore the movie. There are no lessons learned, the author made sure Jonze kept this point in the movie.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

So you're saying the whole story of the movie in which Max comes to terms with the issue of, as he says, "being a family is hard", is actually that he learns nothing? That makes the film/book even worse, as it makes everything I've seen utterly pointless in the end.

KeyserSoze
The McMannus Brothers

Post by KeyserSoze »

Did a double feature yesterday.

2012 4/10 Just a total recycle of Rolland Emmerich films with really nothing new to add. We got to see bits and pieces of Independance Day and The Day After Tommorrow mixed in with parts of Armageddon and even Contact. Even characters were recycled with Woody Harrelson substituting for Randy Quinn, and Chiwetel Elijofor substituting for Jake Gylenhall. Most of the acting was sub par but, then again, no one goes to see an Emmerich film for the acting. Since I already knew that ABC is going to have a 2013 series on its schedule for next year (Taking Lost's place in the schedule), the ending was fairly predictable.

Brothers 8.5/10 One of the most rivoting films I've seen this year. Nothing truly special about the story other than the fact that it did a good job of not preaching for one side or the other about the war nor were Gylenahll or Maguire truly outstanding, but somehow it all came together and worked. Sam Shepard did a very good job portraying a father figure that might seem familiar to any of you who has a brother. Nathalie Portman, on the other hand, should receive some Oscar consideration as I think she stole the show along with the two little girls. From what the theater manager told us after the movie, a lot of people seemed disappointed with the ending, but I really couldn't see any possible way that the movie could have ended since you were basically looking at a "Slice of life" and not a story with a beginning, a middle and an end. It just had to stop at some point, and where it did seemed like as good of a place as any to do it. And on a side note, when did Mare Winningham get so old? Seems like just yesterday she was in St. Elmo's Fire and now she's in a role married to Sam Shepard.
Who'd win in a wrestling match, Lemmy or God? Trick question, dickhead. Lemmy is God - Chazz and Rex, Airheads

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Isn't brothers just a rehashed version of Pearl Harbor without the good parts of Pearl Harbor (ya know, the actual Pearl Harbor stuff)?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude