What are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or close to now. S03E01

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Re: What are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or close to now. S03E01

Post by Donte77 »

I remember watching the Jacket in theaters. I think I quite liked it.
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

After trying (and failing) to watch Prince of Darkness in its entirety three times in the last five or so years, we FINALLY sat down and watched it from start to finish. And, I gotta say, that movie was CRAP. I love Carpenter. Even his lesser movies are still fun to watch. This one was just such a mishmash of a convoluted/nonsensical story, bad editing, unlikeable characters, poor pacing, and a major letdown of an ending. What was up with that "protagonist"? I was hoping he'd die first. And the "climax"? What the hell? It's like they forgot that there was some semblance of a story beginning to form, and then it just ends. And what WAS going on in that abortion of a plot, anyway?

"Time-travelers warn some hippie scientists of the extraterrestrial "Anti-God" from another dimension who can only be thwarted by breaking some random mirror in a rundown church.....or CAN IT?"
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

NSpan wrote:After trying (and failing) to watch Prince of Darkness in its entirety three times in the last five or so years, we FINALLY sat down and watched it from start to finish. And, I gotta say, that movie was CRAP. I love Carpenter. Even his lesser movies are still fun to watch. This one was just such a mishmash of a convoluted/nonsensical story, bad editing, unlikeable characters, poor pacing, and a major letdown of an ending. What was up with that "protagonist"? I was hoping he'd die first. And the "climax"? What the hell? It's like they forgot that there was some semblance of a story beginning to form, and then it just ends. And what WAS going on in that abortion of a plot, anyway?

"Time-travelers warn some hippie scientists of the extraterrestrial "Anti-God" from another dimension who can only be thwarted by breaking some random mirror in a rundown church.....or CAN IT?"
All your points are good. But I can counter all of them by simply reminding you of the scene in which Alice Cooper murders someone with a bicycle frame. Does it make sense? Hell no!

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

ooh, i just RSVPd to a Dr Parnassus screening, i'm excited

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

numbersix wrote:All your points are good. But I can counter all of them by simply reminding you of the scene in which Alice Cooper murders someone with a bicycle frame. Does it make sense? Hell no!
well, can't argue with that
undeadmonkey wrote:ooh, i just RSVPd to a Dr Parnassus screening, i'm excited
lucky!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Henry Poole is Here (62/100): Decent, though preachy and fairly simple. Very easy to figure out what's going to happen. Reminded me a bit of "The Ultimate Gift" for some reason. Decent...

The Jacket (74/100): Pretty good film that could be taken in a variety of ways considering how open-ended it was. Reminds me a little of "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" though that would only be one interpretation of it. All in all when you done, you should have that "what the Hell just happened" type feeling.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

My Year Without Sex: 7/10.

Nice little Aussie movie. Funny script, good acting for the most part, and really interesting plot.

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

Watched Paul Blart last night also. It was okay. Not great but had a few decent laughs. Unfortunately most of those laughs were in the trailer. 2.5 / 5 stars
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Even worse... It's director is helming the remake of Short Circuit.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

just finished The Promotion... while there was nothing particularly amazing about it--there wasn't anything particularly horrible about it, either... it was kinda sweet, kinda funny, and it had a good ending... probably won't ever watch it again, but I feel like it got an unnecessary bad reputation for simply not being Step Brothers... poor/misdirected marketing, I guess. too bad really.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

SLC Punk (91/100): Very good film that on the surface looks like a stoner comedy or something like that, but it really makes you think. It really wouldn't be bad to show parts of it in a sociology class because it delves into culture, counter cultures, and counter culture vs. counter culture among other things. It's also just about someone finding themselves, how people see other people, and how people can be completely different than perceived. There's also a lot of laughs and irony.

Also, the story is extremely chaotic in a good way considering its in the perspective of a person that thinks chaos is what the world is about. There is much narration, but it really adds to the story and is done in a way that doesn't get boring. Recommended.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

weird!

downtown, i walked by a 15-year old angsty teenage emo girl the other day, and she had just seen the same movie... being a psychology major, she also felt that the movie really "makes you think." Oh, and she said that there were "lots of laughs," "much narration," and "tons of irony".

recommended!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Do you often approach random 15 year old girls?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

He likes to offer them candy

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

a 15 year old in college?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude