Rate That Movie!

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: Rate That Movie!

Post by NSpan »

KeyserSoze wrote:
Geezer wrote:Thank God I have a girlfriend that would rather watch football than Twilight
I've got both.
do they know about each other?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

KeyserSoze
The McMannus Brothers

Post by KeyserSoze »

NSpan wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:
Geezer wrote:Thank God I have a girlfriend that would rather watch football than Twilight
I've got both.
do they know about each other?
As the famous toast goes, "To our wives and our girlfriends, may they never meet"
Who'd win in a wrestling match, Lemmy or God? Trick question, dickhead. Lemmy is God - Chazz and Rex, Airheads

KeyserSoze
The McMannus Brothers

Post by KeyserSoze »

Pirate Radio 7.5/10

What a fun movie by a cast of characters that looked like they were having a total blast making this film. There were no blockbuster performances in it, but there were a lot of really good ones. Bill Nighy, who really needs to make more movies, was his ever delightful self as the owner of Radio Rock, the boat anchored just outside of British territorial waters back in 1966 which blasted Rock and Roll music to the people of Great Britain 24 hours a day when, at the time, the BBC would only devote 2 hours per week to it. Most of the rest of the cast was made up of the DJ's and staff that it took to operate a radio station 24 hours a day.

Rhys Ifans, who played Hugh Grant's roommate in Notting Hill did a smashing job as Gavin, a once famous DJ who had left for America but returned to England to help Radio Rock stay on the air, and Philip Seymour-Hoffman played an American DJ named The Count who was the top dog until Gavin's return.

There were a couple of weak performances especially Kenneth Branagh in what seemed such a cliched role as the government official whose job it was to get Radio Rock off the air, and January Jones, who, fortunately, only had a minor role, but after her recent performance on SNL is truly showing the only acting talent she has is to play Betty Draper on Mad Men.

The story itself was a bit raucous and actually was only there to play second fiddle to the music itself, but what great music it was.
Who'd win in a wrestling match, Lemmy or God? Trick question, dickhead. Lemmy is God - Chazz and Rex, Airheads

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I went to a screening of The Blind Side tonight. with based on true story movies like this it always makes me curious what exactly is real or not, wither way though, this movie was really enjoyable, it was heartwarming, it was funny, 10/10 from me.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

New Moon - 5/10

Bad acting and awful pacing issues aside, it's still better than Twilight. Mostly because it seems Rob Pattison is more comfortable with his role, he plays Edward normally instead of like some fidgety retard like before. Lautner is bad, bad, bad and it's sad because Jacob is a pretty good character. They also skimmed over the best part of the book - ITALY! It's like half of the book, but only takes up 10 minutes here. You never feel like Edward is ever in any real danger, and it seems like an afterthought.

They did improve the way the vampires run, but some of the other effects shot are just mesmerizingly bad.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The Box 5/10

Many, Richard Kelly just loves to convolute things. Southland Tales was a complete mess, and when I heard about The Box I figured it would be a simple yet effective Twilight Zone adaptation that would salvage his career, and maybe, just maybe, he could write and direct another open-ended sci-fi flick like Donnir Darko that would work. I was wrong.

The Box has a good premise- it's an obviously simple morality tale (would you sacrifice a stranger's life for personal gain?) with an ounce of conspiracy theory (hence the 1970's setting). But Kelly once again goes far and beyond what he has to, with eerie but blunt moments where people turn their heads in unison, ridiculous scenes such as the water portal (a recycled visual from Donnie Darko) and floating over his wife's bed, nose bleeds, people booming about salvation etc. There's about 30 minutes of pretentious ad-like scenes that could have been cut down to make a half-decent movie, but ruined by Kelly's inability to allow a simple story to tell itself well. I should have known, considering Kelly has always convoluted his plots, and all you have to do is compare the original (superior) version of Donnie Darko to the convoluted director's cut to see that the director needs harsh restriction.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Precious - 9/10

Great movie with amazing performances from Monique and Gabby Sibide (sp). Depressing as hell, and quite literally, some of the things that happen to Precious are unbearable to watch.

Planet 51 - 3/10

We all know independent animation always is shit. This rule proves true again.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Too bad Precious has no release date here yet.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

KeyserSoze
The McMannus Brothers

Post by KeyserSoze »

Buscemi wrote:Too bad Precious has no release date here yet.
That's a shame. It opened in about 20 theaters here

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

It seems that the only time that an urban film gets run here, it's either about gangbangers or has a comedian or rapper in the lead. You almost never see one play here where it is a positive portrayal (I did a rant about this on my 4,000th post). I live in a place where Fireproof can get three screens in one theatre on opening weekend but you'll be lucky to see a film that doesn't appeal to the neo-conservative, white person on opening weekend.

At least Black Dynamite is running (in its second week) at the local arthouse. I may see that on Sunday.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

How the hell does such a small, mostly white town get Black Dynamite, but not Precious? Your theater owners must be retarded.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Black Dynamite got a lot of requests from the arthouse crowd and it's running at the arthouse (the arthouse is an indpendent mom and pop operation and they pick up a lot of films that Wehrenberg and Hollywood Theatres won't touch). First week attendance (mostly from college kids who live in downtown) was good enough to keep it running. Meanwhile, Precious is looking like a megaplex movie and so far no theatres are playing it.

Either that or Lionsgate thinks that only horror can play in Springfield (Springfield even got The Midnight Meat Train and Blood Creek, two horror films that went straight to second-run). Not only has Precious not run in Springfield yet, but neither has Good Hair or More Than A Game.

Donte77
Kirk Lazarus

Post by Donte77 »

No Precious near me either. Maybe next week...
"I highly suspected I was becoming a legend." Ignatius J. Riley

"If Transporter 3 was better than TDK then the first Transporter was the filmic equivalent of doing heroin while getting a Bl** J** from god." Me

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

anyone seen Port of Call: New Orleans yet?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

It's only playing in the big cities right now. If anyone is near Los Angeles, they can see it at the famous Grauman's Chinese Theatre.