What are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or close to now. S03E01

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
Neo

Re: What are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or close to now. S03E01

Post by transformers2 »

Started to watch Monsters Vs Aliens last night but fell asleep so far its not good at all.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Yeah, it's nothing special, but BLOB nearly makes it worth watching.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

You mean B.O.B.?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Yes, BOB the BLOB. Sorry, old age senility is starting to set in.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Getting caught up...

1941 (52/100): Akroyd, Spielburg, Belushi, and somehow it just wasn't that great. Not funny most of the time, though it did have just a couple of moments.

The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard (58/100): Not funny most of the time, though it did have a few moments, namely Will's cameo (the first part, the only part I would possibly ever rewatch) and a few of Ving's one-liners.

Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (63/100): Decent kids movie. Simon Pegg's character is easily the best in the film. Other than that, really disposable, which was expected.

Blindness (67/100): I usually like "end of the world" type films, "Twilight Zone" type stuff, and what I can only describe as "puzzle" films where you're trying to figure something out and I usually give them decently high marks. This really wasn't like any of those and I'm not sure exactly what it was supposed to be. All I know is that it wasn't so horrible that I turned it off, which is what I expected from some of the reviews. I wouldn't watch it again and it wasn't great by any means, but I wouldn't classify it as completely "bad" either. It just missed a lot of the film.

The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (78/100): I was pleasantly surprised by many parts of this film. First off, it was a little bit (not a lot) different that the roles Denzel has been playing (Deja Vu, Man on Fire, Out of Time) but it still is a little cookie cutter to me considering he's been a cop-ish character in six of his last eight films (Eli should be a great break from that... hopefully). I liked what John Travolta did much more, though. It was a little Vincent Vega with a lot more Swordfish and I just thought it worked going back into the "bad guy" role. Really though, a pretty good thriller, though not one you'll probably remember for years to come.

Up (95/100): Probably the best Pixar film made and possibly the best animated film ever made. Much the same as Wall-E, if you took the beginning segments and made a short film from it, it would have gotten 100/100 (a score which I have never given anything). The last half of the film could have been a little better, though I'm not exactly sure how, seeing as it is a film that everyone (adult and child) is supposed to enjoy.

My Cousin Vinny (97/100): I've seen this film before a time or two, but its been on constantly the past few months and I can't stop watching the frigging thing. It's just sooooo funny and Pesci and Tomei are so great in their roles. I think its great as a comedy or drama.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

hmm I saw a couple of excellent movies Sunshine and the Naked Civil Servant.. I shall return and review later. For now both are good.
Edited for reviewery.....

The Naked Civil Servant - 8/10
John Hurt won a BAFTA for his performance in this made for tv movie, starring as the openly homosexual and sometimes transvestite, Quentin Crisp (with a name like that how could his parents not expect him to be gay). The film opens with a foreword fromt he real Quentin Crisp, and the likeness between himself and John Hurt's character is disturbingly accurate, he is the utter definition of the things people stereotype as a gay man. Extremely effeminate ( hard to think of John Hurt as effeminate eh), fashion conscious, a great socialite, and unapologetically himself. The story (and Crisp's life) takes place mostly during the time when it was illegal to be gay in England and follows not only his search for love but his fight against the law.

Sunshine - 9/10
What a great movie, it follows the typical plotlines we have all seen before of a space crew starting out on a mission only to be thwarted by some unknown evil and begin dropping one by one. The major difference here is a great cast, an a smart story that isn't full of more holes than swiss cheese. a sure must see for film lovers out there.
Last edited by becs on November 22nd, 2009, 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Monsters Vs Aliens 5/10

It was alright. Seth Rogen's character was responsible for just about every funny moment of this film.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I watched 42nd Street Forever Volume 5: Alamo Drafthouse (a trailer compilation). Please tell that the Drafthouse really does run movies like that (especially Megaforce).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

My daughter and I were given a bunch of old Disney films to watch and the first one we watched was Dumbo (62/100): I didn't remember it ending that abruptly. It was kind of weird because it was all about not judging people that are different and then they had these racial stereotypes in it. Anyways, I don't remember if I actually saw it before or not.

Also, The Wackness (79/100): Pretty good film with some really funny lines by Kingsley and Peck. Reminds me a lot of films I've seen this year like Nick & Norah, Adventureland, etc. A little different, though.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I saw The Wackness in the theatre. One of my favorite films of 2008.

I can't wait for more movies set in the 1990's.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

The Blind Side - 10/10.

Absolutely phenomenal. Gets my second "10" of the year (after Star Trek). Here's my review:

http://www.reelsociety.com/2009/11/21/theblindside.html

I can't say enough good things about this film. Wow.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

mateostarr
Juno MacGuff

Post by mateostarr »

geez Patrick I am having a hard time believe it's THAT good. Then again even though I liked Star Trek it was not 5/5 for me.

I really am not liking this year for movies.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I found S.J. a bit annoying but it was an accurate portrayal of people at that age: innocent and overly impressionable.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare wrote:The Blind Side - 10/10.

Absolutely phenomenal. Gets my second "10" of the year (after Star Trek). Here's my review:

http://www.reelsociety.com/2009/11/21/theblindside.html

I can't say enough good things about this film. Wow.

I agree with everything you said, and i have also been telling everyone i know to see it since i saw it on wednesday.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

i'm a bit ashamed to say that i watched Paul Blart: Mall Cop....... i wish i could say it wasn't as bad as it looked--but it was... for some reason, i thought Happy Madison made bad comedies that are, at least, kinda fun to watch and sorta likable... after looking back through their filmography, i'm reminded they don't even have that much going for them... Grandma's Boy aside (which I love), i could go the rest of my life without EVER rewatching another Happy Madison movie..

Paul Blart; Mall Cop

F+
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.