What are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or close to now. S03E01

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: What are you watching RIGHT NOW.... or close to now. S03E01

Post by NSpan »

just posted my response to (and attempt at a review of) Come and See. up in the Movie Club forum now
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Watched a lot of soccer in the last few days, even Germany thrashing Australia 4-0, being from both countries i dont know what to say.

Boosh - And is the Malcolm you talking about with Colin Friels? It mite even be an Aussie movie?

Cant stand Scrubs or Bones.

And yeah ill agree with everyone and say that those horror flicks are just plain bad, but ill have to see the orphan, people say that its average and not just bad.

True Blood? Good? I thought it would be a bit like Buffy/O.C, or is it more like Dexter/Supernatural?
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Yes, that Malcolm. I had the VHS laying around so I watched it.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

True Blood is awesome. Though I did like Buffy quite a bit (NOT a fan of the OC), it is nothing like it. I would say it's more like Dexter than Buffy, at least in regard to the feel of the show, but not really like either.

And Orphan was not even okay, man. It may have had the stupidest ending I have ever seen. I'm a horror fan for sure, but I even liked Jennifer's Body better, and that should say something. See at your own risk, but you have been warned...

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

No, My Bloody Valentine had the stupider ending. It didn't even make any sense! At least in Orphan, there was a build-up.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I actually liked Buffy, OC, and Dexter. Don't watch Supernatural so I can't say about that. But I wouldn't compare it to any of those. I honestly can't think of anything to compare it too, because I think there is nothing else like it on television. NOw don't think it's like some master television show that's directed by Scorcese. But it is a fun, cheesy but in a tongue-in-cheek cheesy, and definitely not for kids that love Twilight, or for kids in general, it is HBO afterall.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Well, im convinced True Blood is actually worth watching, ill give it a spin sooner or later.

And how many VHS's do u have Boosh, seems to me like you have 200-300 just sitting there.

And The Orphan, well i probably wont watch it, im not a big fan of horror too. But in saying that, im going to start watching the old classic horrors, like Psycho to start with, already watched half of The Thing (looking good, Keith David is awesome!), ive got to watch Rosemarys Baby, and that French (i think its french) one from about 1955, i forgot the name, but its about some Mistress and a wife planning to kill her husband, and then strange shit starts to happen, anyone got that name???

Also want to watch The Searches and The Wild Bunch, ive finished off Sergio Leone's classic trilogy

I also want to watch some that John Cassavetes directed, i think he has a few well directed movies that ive never really heard of or even seen at the video shop.

And ive got to get my hands on some Buster Keaton. And M.

Watched The Fellowship of the Ring (extended version) again, its lost nothing, Boromir is still great, Aragorn and the Hobbits play well together in the middle and the direction is just fantastic. There was just one bit, where Gandalf says something about the fellowship, which sounded rather cheesy, but thats part of the extended edition, so no real problem there.

Cant wait for The Hobbit!!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I've got about 100 that I still need to get around to watching. I'm trying to get rid of them all to make some extra cash.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

How much can you possibly get for a VHS these days anyway? I buy them at Cashies for $1 each...

But i wish i could buy them off you for a friend of mine who still collects them, but as you're in the US, i dont think theres any chance of that, im sure there was a different VHS for different continents like the DVDs.

Casablanca is next.

Just finished re-watching A History of Violence, it was pretty good...again. I even forgot the last part with William Hurt, i have to say, that this film has probably just crept into my top 100 of time. Cant wait for the new Eastern Promises sequel AND the Sigmund Frued/Carl Jung movie, Cronenberg just better not die on me anytime soon (he's 67, but then again stallone is like 64!)

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

I haven't seen The Unborn but a couple of my friends did and they are still laughing about it.

On the topic of Orphan it is simply one of the worst horror films I have ever seen. The ending is absolutely awful and laugh-out loud hillarious. Hands-down the stupidest plot twist I have ever seen.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Ron Burgundy wrote: and that French (i think its french) one from about 1955, i forgot the name, but its about some Mistress and a wife planning to kill her husband, and then strange shit starts to happen, anyone got that name???
Sounds like Les Diaboliques, a fantastic movie which is said to have inspired Hitchcock's Psycho. It was directed by Henri Georges Clouzot, the director of Wages Of Fear, Quai Des Orfevres and Le Corbeau.

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

undeadmonkey wrote:I actually liked Buffy, OC, and Dexter. Don't watch Supernatural so I can't say about that. But I wouldn't compare it to any of those. I honestly can't think of anything to compare it too, because I think there is nothing else like it on television. NOw don't think it's like some master television show that's directed by Scorcese. But it is a fun, cheesy but in a tongue-in-cheek cheesy, and definitely not for kids that love Twilight, or for kids in general, it is HBO afterall.
I actually would say True Blood is a master TV show, or at least has a chance to be there, depending on how the next season's fare. I mean, in season 2 having the villain be a follower of Dionysus from Greek mythology was a completely badass concept that I never near saw coming. It impressed me a lot.

But, back to your comment, have you heard about the TV show that Scorsese is directing? Gangster show starring Steve Buscemi, for one of the pay cable channels. Looks good though I can't remember the name for the life of me.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

undeadmonkey wrote: The Squid and the Whale 2/10 - This had been on my list for a long time because everyone kept saying how great it was, now after seeing it, i realize that I never heard anybody say WHY it was great. The parents were both jackasses, the older brother was kind of normal and they were trying to make him the sympathetic character in the end, but it didnt work because throughout the movie he was trying to be an ass like his father. and don't get me started on the younger kid, he was seriously disturbed and need psychological attention. The only little redeeming part of the film was Anna Paquin, She has really great screen presence and could one day be one of the greats.
How was the mother a jackass. Surely she is the only sane character in it. She has far more depth than Paquin's character who basically is manipulative and just wants attention. I don't se how you calling the father a jackass is a criticism. He's SUPPOSED to be a jackass, and he's one of the most believable delusional and most pretentious characters committed to celluloid. He is brilliantly written and brilliantly performed, and his influence on his son makes it even more poignant. I've seen very few dysfunctional family films that match this.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

@ frendo- Boardwalk Empire.

@6 - Neither of the parents seemed to care about the kids and they were horrible. but your saying that is why the film was good. i suppose we must agree to disagree.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I could show you plenty of scenes to show how the mother cared, but there was only one where she neglected them because she was trying to work out a new relationship. I think your memory is selective. And I'm saying the film is good not because it has bad parents, but because they're portrayed cleverly and believable enough to make the drama poignant. Or do you only like films about people who are inherenlty good all the time?