SIX TIPS, OR HOW TO PLEASE YOUR SLATE – THE FILMS OF 1/12

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Re: SIX TIPS, OR HOW TO PLEASE YOUR SLATE – THE FILMS OF 1/12

Post by StarLord123 »

Honestly, for some time I assumed this thing was actually called "Mean Girls: The Musical" since transformers called it that in the trailer thread. :lol: Not only are quite a few people going to this unaware that it's a musical, but apparently that aspect just isn't very good to begin with. Seems like it's not a Wonka situation, which was able to win over a lot of folks who typically don't enjoy musicals.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The big difference between Wonka and Mean Girls is that Wonka was directed by Paul King, a proven name with family-friendly movies who can take an IP and make it appealing by putting his own spin and not alienate viewers. King might not be a household name but you've seen the Paddington movies, you know to expect a crowd-pleasing movie with heart and good vibes.

Mean Girls was a straight-up cash-in designed to be rushed out to appeal to the Plastics of the world. This was a streaming title upgraded to a theatrical one due to the strikes last year. It would have made sense to sell it as an adaptation of the Broadway musical to bring in a new audience, as was done with the filmed performance of the Waitress musical last month, but Paramount wanted the audience that goes to every single repertory showing of the original (by the way, Fathom is reissuing the original on October 3rd, the de-facto Mean Girls Day even though the movie opened in April). A massive mistake by Paramount, who has been fighting rumors of a Warner Bros. merger (even though that probably never happens, even with places like Indiewire hyping up Zaslav as Paramount's savior and Snydercut members on YouTube doing daily updates on the supposed demise of Disney while ignoring the failure of films like The Flash and Black Adam, given Warner Bros.' massive debtload).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

If anyone checks Box Office Mojo, yes, there is an error on Mean Girls. It did not make $3 per theatre.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

October 3rd, the de-facto Mean Girls Day even though the movie opened in April
Um...have you seen the movie?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I have. I just find it annoying that they declared a random day mentioned a couple of times as the day to celebrate the movie instead of the actual release date. It's like how Community got six seasons and a movie solely because of a single line in a random episode referring to a show no one remembers (Does anyone remember The Cape?).

I would give it a pass if the entire movie or a significant part, not just one scene, of Mean Girls took place on October 3rd. But it's not. You have scenes in September. You have Christmas-themed scenes. Hell, there's a whole thing about how they wear pink on Wednesdays. It would be like declaring Judgment Day to be the day John Connor was born instead of August 29th, making that random day the day people watch Terminator 2.

I just hate this overrated movie that is nothing more than a cliche-ridden, Disney-ified Heathers for people who peaked in high school.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Weekend Estimates:
Mean Girls $28 mil
The Beekeeper $16.8 mil
Wonka $8.4 mil
Anyone But You $6.9 mil
Migration $6.2 mil
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom $5.3 mil
Night Swim $4.7 mil
Guntur Kaaram $4.1 mil
The Boys in the Boat $3.5 mil
The Book of Clarence $2.6 mil

-Soul Re-Release $429k

PTA:
The Zone of Interest $9.5k
Mean Girls $7.4k
The Beekeeper $5.1k
All of Us Strangers $4k
Poor Things $3.1k

No word on The Settlers yet
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Buscemi2 wrote:
January 14th, 2024, 9:04 am
I have. I just find it annoying that they declared a random day mentioned a couple of times as the day to celebrate the movie instead of the actual release date. It's like how Community got six seasons and a movie solely because of a single line in a random episode referring to a show no one remembers (Does anyone remember The Cape?).

I would give it a pass if the entire movie or a significant part, not just one scene, of Mean Girls took place on October 3rd. But it's not. You have scenes in September. You have Christmas-themed scenes. Hell, there's a whole thing about how they wear pink on Wednesdays. It would be like declaring Judgment Day to be the day John Connor was born instead of August 29th, making that random day the day people watch Terminator 2.

I just hate this overrated movie that is nothing more than a cliche-ridden, Disney-ified Heathers for people who peaked in high school.
Oh Busc, I've missed this :lol:
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I just don't like dumb inside jokes everyone is expected to be in the know about. I really don't care about how October 3rd has to be the day where we talk about the time a fictional character almost died.

I don't see people devoting an entire day two weeks later to when Tony Stark died and call in sick to give their condolences.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Weekend Actuals:
1.Mean Girls $28.6 mil
2.The Beekeeper $16.6 mil
3.Wonka $8.5 mil
4.Anyone But You $7.1 mil
5.Migration $6.2 mil
6.Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom $5.3 mil
7.Night Swim $4.6 mil
8.Guntur Karaam $4.1 mil
9.The Boys in the Boat $3.4 mil
10.The Book of Clarence $2.6 mil

-Soul Re-Release $431,840
-The Settlers $8,210

PTA:
1.The Zone of Interest $9,519 (25 theaters)
2.Mean Girls $7,553
3.The Beekeeper $5,018
4.The Settlers $4,105 (2 theaters)
5.All of Us Strangers $3,869 (120 theaters)

-The Book of Clarence $1,272
-Soul Re-Release $320
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!