Screening The Releases - December 30th

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Screening The Releases - December 30th

Post by Screen203 »

Last Week

Over a Christmas weekend hampered by a brutal storm, Avatar: The Way Of Water held on to first with 63 m over the three-day, and 95 m over the 4-day. That was about where the good news ended, as all of the openers underperformed. The best of the lot was Puss In Boots: The Last Wish, which has grossed almost 40 m since Wednesday the 21st, and should have strong legs now that the holiday weekdays have started. I Wanna Dance With Somebody underperformed with a total of about 7 m over the 4-day weekend. That's a great number in comparison to Babylon, which tanked with about 5 m over the 4-day weekend. In limited release, Corsage was the best of the openers with a PTA of 18 k over the 4-day, as Women Talking underperformed with a PTA around 7 k over the 4-day, and The Whale expanded to about 600 theaters, grossing about 3 m since Wednesday the 21st.

A Man Called Otto

I think people would be interested in seeing this - Tom Hanks can be a draw in the right role (and almost definitely helped Elvis last summer), and the book/original movie are well-received - if they knew when it opened. This movie has seemingly changed dates at least 5 times, and I'm still not sure whether it's actually opening wide on the 6th or not. At this point, it seems like it's kind of a lost cause for it's OW, but it's legs could be strong if audiences spread good WOM.

In it's limited opening, I think it should make a PTA of about 10 k.

In it's wide opening, I see about a 7 m OW, and a 25 m total.

It should get about 5 Top 5 points, 5 PTA points, and a score of about 7 on IMDb.

Don't take it in Box Office or Ultimate.

Broker

The director's previous film Shoplifters was very acclaimed, from winning the Palme D'ior, to getting a Best International Feature nomination at the Oscars, and of course a Best Film nomination at the Reel Society Of Film Critics awards ;). Reviews for this aren't quite as strong, however, and I don't feel like there is much in the way buzz surrounding it. Still, it should easily get the PTA crown this week due to lack of competition.

In it's limited release, I see it opening with a PTA of around 20 k, and grossing around 2 m in total.

I see it scoring 10-15 PTA points, and getting a score of about 8 on IMDb.

I would say it's probably the best limited release left in Ultimate, but it won't go too far in Box Office.

Top 5 -

Puss In Boots: The Last Wish - 16 m
I Wanna Dance With Somebody - 5 m
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - 5 m
Babylon - 4 m

PTA-

Broker
A Man Called Otto
Corsage
The Whale

Join us next week for the real event of 2023, the release of M3gan.

Until then, enjoy the new year!
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: Screening The Releases - December 30th

Post by transformers2 »

Weekend Actuals (3-Day):
1.Avatar: The Way of Water $67.4 mil
2.Puss in Boots: The Last Wish $16.8 mil
3.Black Panther: Wakanda Forever $5.1 mi
4.I Wanna Dance with Somebody $3.9 mil
5.Babylon $2.6 mil
6.Violent Night $2.1 mil
7.The Whale $1.4 mil
8.The Menu $1.1 mil
9.The Fabelmans $1 mil
10.Strange World $501k

PTA:
1.Avatar: The Way of Water $16,042
2.A Man Called Otto $14,750 (4 theaters)
3.Corsage $8,785 (3 theaters)
4.Broker $7,121 (4 theaters)
5.Living $6,954 (4 theaters)

-Women Talking $5,683 (8 theaters)
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!