Screening The Releases - October 28th

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Screening The Releases - October 28th

Post by Screen203 »

Last Week

The fall season box office seems to finally be gaining some momentum. Black Adam debuted in first with a solid (and very backloaded) 67 m opening. In second, fellow opener Ticket To Paradise, already a major success overseas, opened decently here as well with 16 m. With it being the most high-profile comedy until Christmas, it should hold well throughout the next few months. In third was not Halloween Ends, but Smile with 8 m, dropping only 33 percent. In fourth, we finally see Halloween Ends, dropping an atrocious 80 percent to gross just 8 m. In fifth, Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile dropped 42 percent to gross 4 m. In limited release, The Banshees Of Inisherin grossed about 46 k per theater in four theaters, the second highest PTA of the year only behind Everything Everywhere All At Once (which was released in more than double the amount of theaters), but it is still an impressive gross. Also opening in four theaters, Aftersun grossed almost 17 k per theater, which is an okay start, though not a huge one.

This Week

Prey For The Devil

I can't believe this is actually coming out this weekend, considering it has seemingly been delayed about 5000 times. ;)

The movie itself looks like the most generic exorcism film ever made, despite having somewhat of an original premise. Reviews will likely be scarier than the movie itself, and there has been very little in the way of advertising. In addition, while the Halloween release date could have helped it in a less crowded marketplace (similar to Countdown in 2019), there is a lot of competition for horror audiences, all of which have better reviews than this is likely to get. In conclusion, John Wick: Chapter 4 can't come soon enough for the struggling Lionsgate.

It may be able to do 5 m or so due to Halloween, but its total won't get far past 10 m.

It will get you a 4 on IMDb, 2 Top 5 points, and 0 PTA points.

Don't take it in either Box Office or Ultimate.

Call Jane

This extremely timely film got decent reviews out of Sundance. I don't think that that will translate into a huge box office gross, though. I feel as though the marketing campaign is pretty much non-existent, and buzz around it feels about the same. It will probably do better outside of theaters, if anything.

I expect about a 1 m opening, and a 3 m total.

It will probably get a rather low score (by people who will not watch it) on IMDb due to the subject matter alone, but the people who actually see it will probably balance that out to about a 5. It will get 0 PTA (I don't think a wide release without platforming first was a great idea) or Top 5 points.

Don't take it in Box Office or Ultimate.

Armageddon Time

I feel like this may do better than expected, despite the lack of buzz. It has a very strong cast, is directed by James Gray, and had good reviews out of Cannes. Where I do think it may go wrong is in expansion. There does not seem to be any hype (or marketing) around the film at all, which will harm it when it expands wide next week.

I think it gets around 20 k per theater in its limited opening, but I don't think it reaches 5 m in total, unless it becomes a sleeper awards contender.

It will get you a 7 on IMDb, 0 Top 5 points, and 5 PTA points.

It's not the worst choice in Ultimate, but there are much better choices (a lot of which have already released). Don't take it in Box Office.

Holy Spider

There was a lot of buzz for this also timely thriller out of Cannes, with some believing it should have received the Palme D'Or. I think it should have a strong limited opening, at the very least. A setback could be that the distributor Utopia is relatively new, and have not had a film even break 1 m yet, but Mubi has had success (so far) with Decision To Leave despite not having a strong history of releasing theatrical hits in the US. Still, there is enough buzz around it that is should do okay business.

I think it grosses about 15 k per theater in its opening, but it probably won't do much more than 1 m in total.

It will get a 6 on IMDb and 6-8 PTA points.

It's not that bad of a choice in Ultimate, considering the low price tag. Don't take it in Box Office.

Top 5

Black Adam - 28 m
Ticket To Paradise - 10 m
Smile - 8 m
Prey For The Devil - 5 m
Till - 4 m

PTA

Armageddon Time
Holy Spider
The Banshees Of Inishierin
Black Adam
Ticket To Paradise

Join six next week for what will basically be the calm before the storm, with very few notable releases. Until then...

Four years, and I don't know what to put for an outro. :lol:
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Screening The Releases - October 28th

Post by Buscemi2 »

Call Jane is pretty much being dumped with no advertising. If this wasn't being released by a company as politically conservative as Lionsgate, it would be the hot-button movie of the week. Instead, it's going to make less money than Terrifier 2's fourth week, a film that I'm still convinced isn't as popular as some people are making it out to be.

Meanwhile, I'm not big on Armageddon Time. It's pretty much the same movie as The Fabelmans but without the positive buzz or big name director. It might play to those into 80's nostalgia, but that's it.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

My showing of Triangle Of Sadness had more people than I was expecting (not a huge crowd, but around ten people or so).

That being said, I'm pretty sure it will get very mixed WOM - most of the audience seemed to hate it.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Cinemascores:

Till: A+
Prey for the Devil: C+

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Weekend Estimates:
Black Adam $27.7 mil
Ticket to Paradise $10 mil
Prey for the Devil $7 mil
Smile $5.1 mil
Halloween Ends $3.8 mil
Lyle, Lyle Crocodile/Till $2.8 mil
Terrifer 2 $1.8 mil
The Woman King $1.1 mil
TAR $1 mil

-Triangle of Sadness $549k
-The Banshees of Inisherin $541k
-Call Jane $241k

PTA:
Armageddon Time $12,000
The Banshees of Inisherin $9,310
Aftersun $4,426

No word on Holy Spider yet
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Weekend Actuals:
1.Black Adam $27.5 mil (-59%, which is actually the best superhero movie hold of the year next to The Batman)
2.Ticket to Paradise $9.9 mil
3.Prey for the Devil $7.2 mil
4.Smile $5.4 mil ($100+ mil is a guarantee now. What a run.)
5.Halloween Ends $4.1 mil
6.Till $2,741,834
7.Lyle, Lyle Crocodile $2,741,100
8.Terrifier 2 $1.9 mil
9.The Woman King $1.1 mil
10.TAR $1 mil

-Triangle of Sadness $549k
-The Banshees of Inisherin $535k
-Call Jane $244k (for reference purposes, Roadside's Emily the Criminal had a $669k OW in nearly a third less theaters)
-Armageddon Time $70k

PTA:
1.Holy Spider $16,376 (1 theater)
2.Armageddon Time $11,713 (6 theaters)
3.The Banshees of Inisherin $9,227 (58 theaters)
4.Black Adam $6,241
5.Aftersun $4,426 (17 theaters)

-Prey for the Devil $2,411
-Call Jane $228 (1,068 theaters-Bros, Minions and fellow Roadside release The Good House all had better PTA numbers)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

As I said, Lionsgate did absolutely no promotion for Call Jane. I saw maybe one ad total for this one and it was on Landmark Theatres' Facebook page. And the wide release was only in the top 50 markets or so (The Good House had a similar arrangement, only hitting smaller markets in the second weekend as some theatres dropped it).

It would have made more sense to sell it to a smaller distributor and have that distributor platform it while Lionsgate retained home video and VOD (I believe the other half of the Roadside stable got streaming, as they struck a deal with Hulu recently while regular Lionsgate premieres through Starz). You just don't release a film, especially one with a hot-button topic such as this one, wide with zero marketing whatsoever.

It makes me think of a film released last Halloween, A Mouthful of Air. A good movie with themes that might be considered difficult for some viewers but Sony released it with no marketing at all. The film also still has never received a physical release and Sony releases everything on disc.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I think the release date is equally to blame for Call Jane's failure. October provided "arthouse" audiences with their most packed slate in 3 years. For example, Boston proper got The Banshees of Inisherin and Aftersun this weekend while the suburban theaters got TAR. Other markets around the country picked up Decision to Leave and Triangle of Sadness in addition to the aforementioned films. NY and LA got Armageddon Time. Something that got solid, but not overly enthusiastic reviews, wasn't directed by an auteur and has zero awards buzz is going to get lost in the shuffle with that many options available in different parts of the country. Nothing Roadside touches right now is going to gain a ton of traction on account of their refusal to platform their releases and the lack of marketing that you mentioned, but I'm confident that it would've fared at least somewhat better if they'd released it back in August or September.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I think Roadside not platforming has to do with their deal with Vertical. They do not hold the home video or VOD rights to a number of their recent releases as they sold them to Vertical. Though Vertical has been solid about getting some of those titles out there (I can watch them on Hoopla with a library card as soon as they hit DVD or Blu-ray), Roadside gets almost none of that money from rentals, sales, or content licensing deals. As a result, it's pretty much for them the need to make as much money as they can as soon as possible or else.

But as I far a I know, Call Jane's post-theatrical rights were retained by Roadside. So they could have easily platformed it and done an ad campaign. But they didn't.

Edit: they were. Lionsgate just announced a Blu-ray release for December 13th.