SIX TIPS, OR HOW TO PLEASE YOUR SLATE – THE FILMS OF 4/01

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: SIX TIPS, OR HOW TO PLEASE YOUR SLATE – THE FILMS OF 4/01

Post by transformers2 »

You Won't Be Alone faceplanting isn't a total shock. Foreign language indie genre titles have had a really rough go during the pandemic.

As for Morbius, I haven't seen it yet, but there's a decent chance that I will at some point during the next couple weeks. Morbid curiosity and not having to pay for movies individually is a great recipe for going to see shit that you wouldn't ever go see in theaters under different circumstances.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

transformers2 wrote:
April 2nd, 2022, 6:38 pm
You Won't Be Alone faceplanting isn't a total shock. Foreign language indie genre titles have had a really rough go during the pandemic.

As for Morbius, I haven't seen it yet, but there's a decent chance that I will at some point during the next couple weeks. Morbid curiosity and not having to pay for movies individually is a great recipe for going to see shit that you wouldn't ever go see in theaters under different circumstances.
I agree that it isn't super suprising that You Won't Be Alone did so poorly. Still, with the arthouse box office going closer to (somewhat) normalcy, I would have thought Focus would have scaled back the release a bit, as these semi-wide releases never seem to do well (recent underperformers including Cyrano and The Card Counter) unless it's a drama/thriller from Roadside Attractions (who have seemingly mastered how to handle their higher-profile films, although they have had missteps like Our Kind Of Traitor).

However, with the film starring Noomi Rapace, having solid reviews, and being part of the "folk horror" trend, I would have expected more even with its release pattern.

And the subscription programs definitely have the effect of allowing people to take chances on things they wouldn't otherwise. I know I've seen several films I wouldn't have otherwise.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Weekend Actuals:
Morbius $39 mil
The Lost City $14.7 mil
The Batman $11 mil
Uncharted $3.7 mil
Jujutsu Kaisen 0 $2 mil