SPEARE'S TIPS - The films of 12/21/11 to 12/25/11

Mr. Columnist himself presents weekly analysis and tips.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: SPEARE'S TIPS - The films of 12/21/11 to 12/25-11

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Buscemi wrote:Thanks to people like you. You're one of those people who isn't satisfied when a movie isn't a stupid action movie or a stupid comedy or fanboy driven (I cannot think of a film you liked this year that wasn't one of the three). And when a movie like this happens, what does the studio do? Pushes it aside in favor of an action movie.

When a Spielberg movie fails to take off, then something is wrong with us as a whole.
That's a bit harsh, especially because Tranny and I turned out to be right about Tintin.

Everyone knew it wouldn't do much business here in America, it's a brand Americans don't recognize - period. Similar to Mr. Bean, it was always going to make bank in Europe and other places around the world, but barely a blip here.

And the box office has nothing to do with Spielberg's talent - you should know that by now.

Paramount was right to pour their marketing dollars into MI4 and it's paying off. Dumping money into a bigger campaign for Tintin would've been basically throwing it away.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

It could have easily worked as an original film, if people don't know about the comic books. Just the new adventure film from Spielberg should have been enough to make it a success. So does it mean now that you can't have a success at the US box-office if the film isn't based on a well-known property ? I am about to lose faith in US audiences then ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Banks, you do know that the first Bean was a hit in the US? It grossed $45 million in 1997, which is a great result for an indie. Also, the studio pushed that film very heavily (by having the entire Mr. Bean series aired in the US and having a sizable ad campaign). Opening the film limited and building on word-of-mouth (the concept of Mr. Bean is similar to the works of Jacques Tati, who of course is popular with cinephiles) was also a smart move.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chienfantome wrote:It could have easily worked as an original film, if people don't know about the comic books. Just the new adventure film from Spielberg should have been enough to make it a success. So does it mean now that you can't have a success at the US box-office if the film isn't based on a well-known property ? I am about to lose faith in US audiences then ;)
Well that's certainly what the studios in Hollywood think, as they frantically buy every word committed to paper, whether it's a novel, comic, or graffiti scrawled in a toilet cubicle.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Thursday numbers (according to Deadline):

1. Mission: Impossible $6.2 million (-30% from Wednesday plus advance totals, -10% without)
2. Sherlock Holmes 2 $4.8 million (+12.5% from Wednesday)
3. Alvin and the Chipmunks 3 $3.9 million (+11% from Wednesday)
4. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo $3.1 million (-38% from Wednesday)
5. The Adventures of Tintin $2.4 million (+4% from Wednesday)

So the expected frontloaded nature on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo proved true while the family films and Sherlock Holmes pick up.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi wrote:Thanks to people like you. You're one of those people who isn't satisfied when a movie isn't a stupid action movie or a stupid comedy or fanboy driven (I cannot think of a film you liked this year that wasn't one of the three). And when a movie like this happens, what does the studio do? Pushes it aside in favor of an action movie.

When a Spielberg movie fails to take off, then something is wrong with us as a whole.
Thanks Buscemi ,this is one of the funniest posts I have read in a while. Just because I was right about a film's box office for once and you were wrong and are now trying to make excuses like "lack of advertising" and "stupid audiences" doesn't mean you need to come and attack my taste in films. For your information, my favorite movie of the year was 50/50. That isn't a stupid action film or comedy and has no fanboy effect (though it probably does in your twisted fucking mind). I have been subjecting myself to as many films as possible this year (I'm up to 77 so far, if you would like to see the full list I'll send it to you). There are PLENTY of films that I have enjoyed this year that aren't even remotely close to a stupid action movie, comedy, or fanboy film. Sorry i'm not on your level of film superiority. You are honestly the only person on here that I don't like. You are always a dickhead about everything and make a plethora of ridiclous, ignorant statements (For example the post I quoted). Sorry to everyone else to here. I hope I don't get banned for this, I just had to lash at Boosh's igonrance.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I don't like you either. All you ever do is agree with everything Geezer says. You hardly have any taste and you seem like nothing more than a fratboy in real life. In real life, we would never get along since you have no personality. But at least in real life, I can ignore you.

The only way you could go any lower is if you were a troll or a spammer. Thankfully, you're neither.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Jesus, people, it's Christmas! Can we call a timeout? Like, forever?
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Chienfantome wrote:It could have easily worked as an original film, if people don't know about the comic books. Just the new adventure film from Spielberg should have been enough to make it a success. So does it mean now that you can't have a success at the US box-office if the film isn't based on a well-known property ? I am about to lose faith in US audiences then ;)
I don't know why you guys keep thinking that average audiences go see movies because of who directed it.
Especially an animated kiddie movie - parents nor kids give a damn who directed a cartoon (or mo-cap, whatever), they just go based on commercial, trailers, and yes Chien, if it is a well-known property.

It never looked good, the marketing campaign was bad, and Paramount couldn't sell it on the name, like they did in other countries.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi wrote:I don't like you either. All you ever do is agree with everything Geezer says. You hardly have any taste and you seem like nothing more than a fratboy in real life. In real life, we would never get along since you have no personality. But at least in real life, I can ignore you.

The only way you could go any lower is if you were a troll or a spammer. Thankfully, you're neither.
I'm glad you can make judgements on my personality and state that I'm a fratboy (which couldn't be further from the truth) when you've never met me.

Shryke, I will cut the shit. Sorry about this whole ordeal.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Moving swiftly on from the petty name-calling, apparently there has ben a boo-boo with the box office reporting on Dragon Tattoo.

Its 5m figure for Wednesday actually included the Tuesday (1.6m) so it actually only made 3.4m. The good news is that it's not as front-loaded as we thought as it only dipped slightly for Thursday. The bad news is that it won't be earning as much as we expected. Probably 15m for the 3-day weekend. Of course, in the long run that could still translate to a 100m movie, but it'll need legs longer than Charlize Theron's.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Should have figured Tintin wouldnt do much. Besides Gnomeo and Juliet, there has not been one kids film that has done better than expectations. (I guess Puss N Boots met expectations)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Looks like the BO FY will be mine, my second Super League win of the year and the Ultimate is still up in the air! I still got it ;)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I am sure many people can go see a film just based on the name of the director, or else I could not explain how Eastwood's Hereafter made 2 million entries in France :lol:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Official theater counts:

We Bought a Zoo - 3,117
Adventures of Tintin - 3,087
The GIrl With the Dragon Tattoo - 2,914
War Horse - 2,376 (Sun)
The Darkest Hour - 2,324 (Sun)
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - 6 (Sun)
In the Land of Blood and Honey - 3

Estimates for next week:

The Iron Lady - 4
Pariah - 4
A Separation - NY/LA
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)