Top 30 songs of 2022 - The #1's

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Top 30 songs of 2022 - The #1's

Post by Chienfantome »

Alright, time has come to kick off the #1's thread. The honour is mine after our friend Shryke has put together all the rest. Thanks, as ever, Shryke, for your commitment. And thanks everyone for participating in this. We all have different tastes, more or less, but it's always a pleasure to listen to what everyone loved to listen to each year, even when we ask ourselves "why, oh why ?" after listening to some. Thanks for the great discoveries, and thanks for having us listen to tracks we wouldn't have if it wasn't for this thread, I think it's always interesting too.

Anyway, here's my favourite song of 2022.

#1 Tim Bernardes, A Balada de Tim Bernardes

Tim Bernardes has been my great musical discovery of 2022. Ever since I listened to one of his songs after I had read a paper about the Brazilian musician that got me curious, I fell in love with his album Mil Coisas Invisiveis (“A thousand invisible things”). And to me, the jewel above them all is this bossa ballad that makes us travel all the way to Brazil. I have listened to this one dozens of times without knowing what the lyrics meant, because sometimes, the musicality of a song, and of a language, are enough to convey what the song says (I have read the lyrics since, of course). This is a musical poem, full of magic, of melancholia, of beauty. This is my favorite song of the year, and I think it will be a song I will carry with me for a long time.

My Top 10

10. Lambchop, His song is sung
9. Widowspeak, True Blue
8. Adé, Tout savoir
7. Juliette Armanet, Flamme
6. The National feat. Bon Iver, Weird Goodbyes
5. Orelsan, L’Odeur de l’essence
4. Ezra Furman, Train Comes Through
3. Benjamin Biolay, (Un) Ravel
2. Phoenix, Winter Solstice
1. Tim Bernardes, A Balada de Tim Bernardes
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Top 30 songs of 2022 - The #1's

Post by numbersix »

Chien, oh Chien.

It was a decent list of 10 songs overall. It started really well, though at times I unfortunately, and perhaps unfairly, could only think of Eurosong for some of them . But I did enjoying listening to Lambchop, Widowspeak, Ezra Furman, and Phoenix.

As for your #1, it was a very pleasant listen, similar to some of the Brazilian folk stuff Ive heard before, like Gilberto Gil, in that they are all very gentle, calming pieces of music. I can't say it grabs my attention away from the constant pings of social media updates, but it didn't drive me mad, so there's that!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Chien, I was a little disappointed by your #1 because I read your description first, something I rarely do, but when I listened to the song I felt like I was transported to Laurel Canyon in the 70s more than I felt transported to Brazil. I coulda used more authentic Latin folk and less Cat Stevens/Harry Nilsson. I might give it another try, though.

Glad to have you on board for the top 10, giving a very different perspective on the world of music than what everyone else usually posts. Without Surfer this year there was less focus on the UK indie scene, and you helped add to the variety in the top 10.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Chien:
Your top song was a pleasant listen. While it's definitely a little too long for an acoustic guitar-driven folk song, it has a relaxed, contemplative atmosphere that fits a genre that pride itself on its musical storytelling.

On the whole, it goes without saying that we're operating on very different ends of the musical spectrum. Whether it's in French, English or another language, you tend to gravitate towards stuff that is either too slow or far down the indie rabbit hole to click with me. Still, I admired the different cultural and musical perspective you brought as the sole non-native English speaker participating in this countdown. My favorite of the bunch was True Blue.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien,

Over the years, I've come to accept the fact that most of the songs on your list are ones that I won't understand (thanks for providing translations). They've all been perfectly pleasant songs that I enjoyed from beginning to end, but ultimately I doubt I'll remember any of them a week from now. If I had to pick a favorite, "True Blue" would probably be it.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:
January 30th, 2023, 12:49 pm
I unfortunately, and perhaps unfairly, could only think of Eurosong for some of them
You're so unfair !
Naaaah, I totally understand, I won't hold that against you ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

JohnErle wrote:
January 30th, 2023, 3:59 pm
I felt like I was transported to Laurel Canyon in the 70s more than I felt transported to Brazil.
I guess Laurel Canyon got inspired by Brazil, what can I say ? ;)
JohnErle wrote:
January 30th, 2023, 3:59 pm
Glad to have you on board for the top 10, giving a very different perspective on the world of music than what everyone else usually posts. Without Surfer this year there was less focus on the UK indie scene, and you helped add to the variety in the top 10.
I was this close to including an Indian and a Korean song. I should have made a Top 15 !
But I'm glad I joined this year. I'll be there next year too !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

transformers2 wrote:
January 30th, 2023, 6:19 pm
On the whole, it goes without saying that we're operating on very different ends of the musical spectrum.
That we can say indeed !
transformers2 wrote:
January 30th, 2023, 6:19 pm
Still, I admired the different cultural and musical perspective you brought as the sole non-native English speaker participating in this countdown.
Oui c'est vrai ! You guys are too many, I'm here to bring a little bit of balance ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Shrykespeare wrote:
January 30th, 2023, 10:50 pm
Over the years, I've come to accept the fact that most of the songs on your list are ones that I won't understand (thanks for providing translations)
And I must say I'm very disappointed none of you provide me French translations for all your English-sung songs.
Make an effort guys ! ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Before I reveal my top pick, I just wanted to say thanks to Shryke for putting this together and everybody for participating. It was a lot of fun as always and I promise that despite whatever words of mine made it on your screens, that I was never truly angered or disgusted by any of your picks (except for maybe Beach House ;) )Now back to the business at hand....

#1.Vein.fm-The Killing Womb

Can you believe that in both of the prior year's we've done this that my top pick wasn't a metal song? Well unfortunately for everybody, that streak has officially come to a close.

Within the first handful of days of 2022, Vein.fm released their first new song since 2018 with "The Killing Womb" along with the gruesome music video above (and don't fret John, there's plenty of strobe lights in this one too!!!). While their prior release "Errorzone" didn't exactly embrace a jovial sound, this was a different beast entirely. What starts as kind of a distant threat of terror with some creepy keyboard samples and muffled screams slowly morphs into a horrifying monster with an insatiable appetite for blood and mayhem that's been unleashed in a confined space. It was a mighty strong statement to kick off an album cycle with and made me extremely excited to see what else they had cooked up for their 2nd LP.

When the record was released in early March, "The Killing Womb's" appeal managed to become even greater. The record happens to be called "This World is Going to Ruin You" and as the 2nd track on there after a mostly instrumental intro entitled "Welcome Home", "The Killing Womb" gets the opportunity to set the tone for the record and it does so in extraordinary fashion. All of the eerie, ominous and diabolical pleasure this house of horrors cooks up over its brutally efficient 32 minutes can be traced back to the rapidly escalating sense of dread this track brings to the table. Visceral, overwhelming intensity is a big part of why metal became and has remained so appealing to me for over half of my nearly 31 years on this planet and "The Killing Womb" is a tour de force in delivering that singular feeling of exhilaration.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Top 30 Recap:
30.King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard-Magma
29.The Smile-Thin Thing
28.In Flames-State of Slow Decay
27.SZA-Blind
26.Harry Styles-Late Night Talking
25.Moon Tooth-The I That Never Dies
24.Kendrick Lamar-Mother I Sober (feat. Beth Gibbons)
23.King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard-Gaia
22.The Callous Daoboys-Violent Astrology
21.Revocation-Strange and Eternal
20.Greyhaven-All Candy
19.Fallujah-Duality of Intent
18.Jack White-Fear of the Dawn
17.Bad Omens-Like a Villain
16.Tove Lo-No One Dies From Love
15.J.I.D.-Dance Now (feat. Kenny Mason)
14.Vein.fm-Hellnight (feat. Jeff Smith)
13.Cave In-Floating Skulls
12.Animals as Leaders-Conflict Cartography
11.The Smile-The Smoke
10.Tallah-The Impressionist
9.Tove Lo and S.G. Lewis-Call on Me
8.The Mars Volta-Blacklight Shine
7.The Weeknd-Sacrifice
6.Tallah-The Hard Reset
5.Cave In-Heavy Pendulum
4.King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard-Presumptuous
3.SZA-Shirt
2.The Weeknd-Less Than Zero
1.Vein.fm-The Killing Womb

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Tranny, let me be the first to say that I hope you start a new streak of non-metal #1s next year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not gonna bash your shouty-demon songs as much as some **cough cough JohnErle cough cough** but most of those songs had some great instrumentation. I liked The Smile (both of them) and the Mars Volta songs, but I'd be hard pressed to list any others that moved the needle much. As for your #1... sorry, bro, I think it may be my least favorite of the 30.

And thanks for the kudos. It's my pleasure to subject my eardrums to aural torture every January, and to return the favor. (JK...mostly)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

CHIEN

what I got from your playlist was feeling. Sometimes lyrically (I actually liked the lyrics of The National song), sometimes musically, and sometimes both (I'm mostly assuming), your songs have a sense of evoking feelings, even if there was not any sort of emotional attachment to any of them for me to get them. There were a couple that weren't to my taste but most of them were enjoyable listens and I found the Ezra Furman song the most interesting

Your number one like this too. I can feel the emotion even if I'm not getting it, and its a very pleasant and likable listen. I agree with John and the Cat Stevens/Harry Nilsson comparison, I even got a bit of Day After Day by Badfinger specifically as well, and they are good things for me. A style of music I enjoy.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

TRANNY

most of the time I either really liked your picks or really didn't...liking the shouty demons picks but not getting into the pop and R&B picks at all...the King Gizz representation was awesome to see, interestingly with only one of those (Magma) being the same as the four that made my top 100...Vein.FM were the new to me band that stood out the most for me. I liked the fist song of theirs you picked and then this number has consolidated making me want to hear the album. That was some intense powerful insane stuff and I loved it

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Tranny,

Do we really need a lengthy recap to tell you what you already know? Probably not.

I did enjoy your picks from the Smile and Jack White, which may be the most I've ever truly enjoyed from any of your lists. The Mars Volta and Soundgarden-sounding one weren't bad either.

I'm glad you took my advice from last year and unleashed the full metal beast, even if said beasts return to their suburban homes and downtown lofts after a hard day recording their splatter fest videos to sip herbal tea, do the dishes, and fall asleep on the couch watching re-runs of Cheers just like the rest of us.