Top 30 Songs of 2022

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Top 30 Songs of 2022

Post by Leestu »

John
Kevin Morby, This Is A Photograph
I don't listen to Kevin Morby much but I gotta admit I always like it when i do...this was great!

Shryke
The Faim, Flowers
They may be from here but I hadn't heard of them before. Now I have. Or at least I hadn't noticed or paid attention before. Different music scene from the local one I follow a little bit I assume. After some skimming research it seems like they skipped most of the gigging around locally and went straight to international record deals. That says what this band sounds like from this song

Six
Bodega, Territorial Call of the Female
It's pretty good but doesn't stand out within the genre...the debut album was similar, a few good songs but in the end just solid

Tranny
In Flames, State of Slow Decay
Not my thing but it's alright...I have a sort of fun listening to it

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #27

JOHNERLE

Rhett Miller, Follow You Home

This is a 70s AM radio jam from the Old 97's frontman going solo.

LEESTU

Talk Show, Leather

I know nothing about this artist, but the combination of dance-punk and post-punk here keeps me fascinated throughout.

SHRYKESPEARE

Clan of Xymox, Limbo

Down the rabbit hole we go from here
Down the rabbit hole is all too clear

Here we are in wonderland
Here we are but don't understand
Everything seems too bizarre
That's the way things really are

For four decades, this Dutch band has been one of my hidden faves. Anyone who knows me knows I’m drawn to 80s synth, and that’s been CoX’s bread and butter since I was a preteen. Ronny Moorings has one of the most recognizable voices of all time, which blends perfectly with the synths. I’ve always considered them to be The Cure’s Dutch cousins, and hearing this song reminds me why.

SIX

Dry Cleaning, No Decent Shoes for Rain

Sprechgesang remained strong across the indie scene of 2022. Dry Cleaning’s sophomore album, released only 18 months after the debut, is another collection of chilled and chilly post-punk accompanying Florence Shaw’s wry musings. Here, Shaw’s observations skew modern behaviour while the music hits its stride in the extended coda.

TRANNY

SZA, Blind

On both the rap-like verses and the R&B chorus, SZA demonstrates a hypnotic ease while laying down vocals over minimalist acoustic guitar-driven production that complements her laid back delivery beautifully.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

John: Yes indeed, very 70s AM indeed. Not my bag, normally, but very pleasant though I do love the warm sound of the bass.

Leets: They're certainly on the rise here in the UK, and play every festival under the sun. I like them, although some of their stuff is too new-wavey, making them sound like just another Franz Ferdinand. This was different, though, and better than expected.

Shryke: I've friends who love them, but mostly their original era. Still this very much works as a sort of Xeroxed version of 80s darkwave, so was fun.

Tranny: I've yet to listen to her new album, but I've heard it's good. This was nice, the lyrics very introspective, suiting the acoustic guitar.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

John
Old school, pleasant on the ear. Pretty good song.

Leestu
Talk Show, Leather
Can't say I had any particular pleasure listening to this song. Not for me.

Shryke
Clan of Xymox, Limbo
Doesn't sound like a 2022 song, which may be a good thing actually.

Six
Pretty interesting even if it's in the post-punk area again. But the spoken voice has a nice effect on it.

Tranny
SZA, Blind
It's strangely soft and delicate in an unexpected way. Pretty nice.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

John: That staring was indeed very disconcerting. The song was decent though. Nice bassline and the inclusion horns and choir made for an appropriately big ending.

Leestu: Really not much here for me to get excited or complain about. They just strike me as a less interesting version of Interpol.

Shryke: The main riff is pretty decent and there's some genuine energy behind it, but the hook is way too flat to make this a successful pop rock track.

six: Not bad, but the vocal delivery is a bit too quirky for my tastes.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

John
It was okay, nothing I would come back to

Shryke
Clan of Xymox, Limbo
I've been going through a bit of an '80s nostalgia stage recently so this hit the spot

Six
Love the guitar throughout this...liked the album a lot...this and another song were in consideration for my 100 but none made it in the end

Tranny
SZA, Blind
This does nothing for me

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

JohnErle - Rhett Miller - This is so 70s. I like it for the nostalgia factor alone. Sounds like something Jackson Browne might have done back in the day.

Leestu - Talk Show - Interesting. Not sure what I think about it yet.

Six - Dry Cleaning - I'm sure to some people who have far more culture than me, this is genius. To me it's just someone talking over discordant guitars.

Tranny - SZA - Sounds like an R-rated Janet Jackson song. Not for me.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #26

JOHNERLE

Leyla McCalla, Vini We

This is a Haitian jam.

LEESTU

Yoo Doo Right, Say Less Do More

The opening track sets the tone of the second album from this Canadian band. I get lost in their krautrock influenced shoegazey post-rock with spacey gothic tones.

SHRYKESPEARE

Disturbed, Take Back Your Life

Do not let this moment pass you by
You're the only one who can decide
You've gotta make that change now
You need to break out from behind the lie

I’ve always been impressed by David Draiman. His passion comes through in every track (he probably has the most recognizable growl in history), and the fact that he enunciates every syllable so the message come across loud and clear. Much of their discography has included sociopolitical lyrics, and while this song isn’t one of those, their latest album is chock full of them (esp. “Bad Man”). Disturbed has been at it for nearly 30 years, and they’re showing no signs of stopping.

SIX

The Smile, The Smoke

I wasn’t as crazy about this Radiohead side-project as most of the critics. Personally, I thought it sounded like a somewhat consistent collection of stripped-down ideas from their Hail to the Thief era. But I can’t deny there are some successful attempts at toying with their sound, whether it’s the thrashier tracks or this one, with its funky groove and Yorke’s vocals hitting such a high register that it sounds almost like the air.

TRANNY

Harry Styles, Late Night Talking

While the whole acting thing might not end up working out for him, at least Mr. Styles has a wildly successful music career to fall back on. Styles' battles the same consistency problems as many of his mainstream pop peers, but when he's on his game like he is here, he's an off-the-charts magnetic presence that makes writing stupid catchy bops look effortless.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

John: Pleasant, but sounds like it belongs on an ad for laundry detergent or something.

Leetsu: Pretty decent, melting from jammy Krautrock to post-rock in its 8 mins. Dragged a little but decent. Did you post some of their music before? I recall their name, because of the great track by Can.

Shryke: A band I have hated for 30 years. Corporate metal.

Tranny: Don't think I ever heard a Styles song before. Was expecting something more than this. Referential towards 70s pop and soul, but nothing special.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

27-26

Yoo Doo Right – Not bad, but the production is more muted and flat than I usually like, especially on the drums, and I wasn't thrilled with the singer. It might be nice for drifting off to sleep, though.

The Smoke – That's probably my second favourite song on the album. My first favourite is coming soon-ish.

Harry Styles – I couldn't even force myself to press play on that link. If that makes me a music snob, so be it.

The rest were not my jam.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

John
Leyla McCalla, Vini We
This is one cool song, the kind we don't often list here. I like it. Like the rhythm, the delicacy.

Leestu
Yoo Doo Right, Say Less Do More
That's some fascinating track indeed. Sometimes it lost me a bit, but overall an epic track.

Shryke
Disturbed, Take Back Your Life
Ooooh, definitely not for me, at all.

Six
The Smile, The Smoke
I understand what you mean about The Smile. The questions and the fact there are still undeniable good moments of music in there. Very good song.

Tranny
There are a couple of songs from Styles I actually find myself enjoying listening to. I had never heard this one. There is a rhythm in the chorus I like, but I can't say it sticks with me.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

John
Leyla McCalla, Vini We
I liked the chill music, but the singing style is not my listening style

Shryke
Disturbed, Take Back Your Life but
When metal is just background music

Six
The Smile, The Smoke
Yep, one of many great songs on the album...I'm one of those that highly praise it, even if no individual song made my top 30

Tranny
I don't mind some of his solo stuff but I don't like this one at all...too poppy

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix wrote:
January 5th, 2023, 6:28 pm

Leetsu: Pretty decent, melting from jammy Krautrock to post-rock in its 8 mins. Dragged a little but decent. Did you post some of their music before? I recall their name, because of the great track by Can.
Yes I had song from their debut album last year and I didn't realise until now but in approximately the same spot (#27 here and #31 on facebook). The band name is indeed shouting out the Can influence

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

JohnErle - Leyla McCalla - Can't say I have ever heard a Haitian song. Pleasant, but unmemorable.

Leestu - Yoo Doo Right - You had me at shoegaze. Great song.

Six - The Smile - I'm gonna have to check this album out... that's two songs I really like!

Tranny - Harry Styles - A Harry song made my Top 100 too this year. Weird, I tells ya... anyway, this was ok. Reminded me of Dayglow with a deeper voice. (and y'all will be hearing some Dayglow later in the countdown.)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

bumping today's songs to the next page.