Top 30 Songs of 2022

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Top 30 Songs of 2022

Post by Leestu »

Chien: Juliette Armanet
way too disco dance for my taste

John: Sarah Shook
a decent song that doesn't seem to be doing anything new (apart from the autotune that I didn't even notice) and that's fine...happily listen to it but probably not choose it to listen to

Ron: Meg Mac
Great voice, although it annoys me here, as does the Florence & The Machine but bland musicality...it says something that her best song so far is a cover (Grandma's Hands) - maybe she needs some more interesting songwriters?

Shryke: Birthday Massacre
I can't remember - has anyone mentioned Evanescence yet?

Six: Crack Cloud
not bad but lacks that something extra

Tranny: The Weeknd
nothing here for me

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Chien: The National
I'm with you Chien. He can sing anything and I would probably like it. I missed this somehow last year so thanks

John: St Paul...
this was great! so many good things about this song...adding this!

Ron: Noah Dillon
Local favourite of mine Noah Dillon is great. Knows how to write an energetic fun sing along song that suits live performances but keeping things interesting musically as well...the lyrics do fall a little bit flat compared to his usual standard but oh well

Shryke: The Birthday Massacre
They don't sound the same - this one is much better, or more to my taste...liked this one

Six: Angel Olsen
I like this more than I like most Angel Olsen songs - great song development and atmosphere - I found the album listen a bit too much Angel at once for me...this song is cool though

Tranny: Tallah
I find it quite fascinating...there is a lot going on to listen to, and a lot of it has appeal...and being interested in a song is not very far away from a like, and I liked this enough to be interested to hear more/it again

Good round - liked every song

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Chien
Don't necessarily have to understand the lyrics to understand the feeling, but I'm not sure I'm getting the feeling, feels a bit more lyrically technical to me than passionate (just sort of guessing of course)…I did like the music throughout though

John: Taj Mahal and Ry Cooder
even if I don't know the original it has that cool classic vibe

Ron: Genesis Owusu
great song...Genesis is always interesting and keeps developing trying new things

Shryke: Dayglow
It's so bland I can't even taste the cheese

Six: Interpol
I don't know...It was okay and likable but didn't excite me

Tranny: Cave in
that's some heavy post-grunge...I like its sound

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Chen: Ezra Furman
Ezra Furman is always interesting...I always like listening to them...great song with a great build

John: Shearwater
I like what little I've heard from Shearwater in the past (one album and a bunch of songs), and this was very good too

Ron:
another solid song from Tame Impala - not bad for an album off cut - better than a few of the songs that made it on to the album

Shryke: ODESZA
#musicitrytoavoid

Six: Mitski
lovely song from another good album from Mitski

Tranny: King Gizz
when this song kicks in at about 1min 40 I can't help but start moving...so deliciously funky and jazzy...I would dig this at that bar

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Chien: Benjamin Biolay
I remember him and have heard him around a few times since then...this has a very soothing affect

John: Margo Price
It was a good song...I just have to get over the voice

Ron: Gorillaz
Surprisingly considering the artists involved nothing really grabs me in this song...would be a good album track though, and I loved the latest single Skinny Ape so I'm looking forward to the album

Shryke: Foxes
I totally agree with you about songs that bring you joy. This song brings me no joy

Six: Yard Act
This song is so good...I have my favourites but I love this whole album...12 days until I see them live, along with Fontaines D.C., Turnstile, slowthai, and 100 Gecs

Tranny: SZA
I wish it had that affect on me

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

John
Gaby Moreno, 'Til Waking Light
This was a very pleasant listen. It really gets interesting when she starts singing in Spanish, it gives more soul to the track.

Leestu
Black Country, New Road, Basketball Shoes
Dare I say it was a tad long ? It develops nicely for sure. Feels like there's more than one song in there though.

Ron
alt-j, The Actor
It was alright. Nothing great, but still nice in some ways.

Shryke
Muse, Verona
I remember there was a time when I listened to Muse and enjoy them. But that seems like ages ago. There's something I like in the music, really good, but Bellamy's doing his thing, and it's too much. Yes to the music, no to Bellamy's singing.

Six
Kendrick Lamar, Count Me Out
Again, Lamar is hard for me to process other than just through the rhythm and the music, because I can't get much of the lyrics. So, rhythm and music, not bad, but nothing that hooks me.

Tranny
The Weeknd, Less Than Zero
There are a few The Weeknd tracks I like. Not sure I'll remember this one long beyond this first listen, but it's an easy listen.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Chien: Phoenix
Phoenix are a bit hit and miss for me. This one was closer to a hit.

John: Gaby Moreno
That was a great vocal performance, and the music was great too, backing her up beautifully, restrained when it needed to be and knowing when to let go a bit, keeping me nearly as interested as the vocals. I'm adding this. Great stuff!

Ron: alt-j
Impressive video improves a decent, if a bit standard for alt-j, song

Shryke: Muse
I had a Muse song in my top 100 (just) but this song is what I don't like about Muse - focused on the overdramatic showoffy vocals with overblown synth melodies. I love the Muse that rocks with overdramatic showoffy guitar and overblown riffs and solos

Six: Kendrick
Great song

Tranny: The Weeknd
too much The Weeknd for me