Top 30 Songs of 2022

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 30 Songs of 2022

Post by Shrykespeare »

As we have done in past year's we're gonna have a day all to each of ourselves to review their entire Top 30/10 and then reveal their #1.

And as usual, I'll go last.

1/30 - Chien
1/31 - Tranny
2/1 - Leestu
2/2 - Six
2/3 - JohnErle
2/4 - Ron B
2/5 - Shryke
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'll take 2/2 but it anyone wants that I'm happy to move

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'll take 1/30 if no one wants it.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I'll take 2/1
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Chien: Not bad at all, but nothing really grabbed my attention.

John: Nice to you have back around these parts Geezer.

Leestu: I feel like I've heard this somewhere else this year, but I can't quite place it. Anyways, not really a fan. The whispery vocals just don't mesh well with the loud, quirky guitar and the transition to full blown noise at the end is too little, too late.

Ron: As a big fan of 21 Savage and somebody who was pleasantly surprised by Calvin Harris' Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1, I was excited when this was announced as one of the lead singles for Vol.2. Was very disappointed when it turned to be wildly average.

Shryke: It's Groundhog Day for me with these guys. Just inoffensive pop rock that kind of floats around for a few minutes then immediately disappears into the ether as soon as it ends.

six: Speaking of Groundhog Day, Wet Leg is pretty cool!!!
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Juliette Armanet – Way too disco for me.

Fontaines DC – The production sounds nice here, but the song doesn't do anything for me.

Meg Mac – It gets dangerously close to Adele territory, and I hate Adele, but this kinda worked. I have no idea if it'll stick with me, but it just might.

Birthday Massacre – It saves a lot of time when you repeat artists like this. 45 seconds was all I needed to hear based on previous encounters with this band. Not for me.

Crack Collective – It wasn't bad until the vocals started.

Weeknd – That production sounded like garbage to me. Also way too disco for me.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

JohnErle wrote:
January 24th, 2023, 8:30 pm
Birthday Massacre – It saves a lot of time when you repeat artists like this. 45 seconds was all I needed to hear based on previous encounters with this band. Not for me.
Lucky for you, I only have six more of them coming. JK, it's only one. :lol:

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: And the runner-up of the 1976 Eurosong Contest is...

John: I've seen their name about but then just though it was Sarah Snook and started thinking about how good Succession is, so never listened to the music. This was good, liked the guitar sound, which is really high in the mix.

Leetsu: An excellent song from an excellent album. The boys did well after the disappointing 2nd album.

Ron: Was okay but a little generic and relied too much on her volume of voice

Shryke: Liked the start but then it turned into a poor (wo)man's Garbage.

Tranny: Far from original, but I liked its funky groove

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Can I please have the 1st Feb?

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

The date makes no difference to me, so I'll take whatever day no one else wants.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #6

CHIENFANTOME

The National feat. Bon Iver, Weird Goodbyes

The National songs always have the upper hand on the rest to me, because all it takes is a few seconds of the voice of Matt Berninger to be amazed. That’s all it took when I first heard their new song. It feels like the music is here to better accompany Berninger’s voice. Lyrics aren’t great, but I totally don’t care because the universe of the song, the voice and the music underlining it, just take me on a journey.

JOHNERLE

St. Paul & The Broken Bones, The Alien Coast

"Tell the world, tell the world that I'm useless
Tell the world, tell the world that I'm chartreuse"

I know that's not the actual lyric, but sometimes a misheard lyric gives a song a little extra spice. This might be my favourite album of the year, but we're at the point where there's very little separation between my picks, so my favourite song on the album will have to settle for #6.

LEESTU

The Smith Street Band, I Don’t Wanna Do Nothing Forever

Regulars on my top songs list nearly every year are back again with another emo folk punk influenced indie rock sing along banger

RON B

Noah Dillon, I C.A.N.T

SHRYKESPEARE

The Birthday Massacre, One More Time

All I have is all I miss
Forever repenting
All I am is all I view
A handful of empty

The only cost I pay
Is living in this prison of myself
All the words I say
To feel this, feel this one more time

Yes, TBM, back-to-back. It was tough to decide which song I loved on their latest album the most, but this one gets the nod. I’m sure John will make some crack that they all sound the same anyway, but I tend not to mind that so much when the sound is something that hips me right in my musical sweet spot. I like the fact that rhythm guitarist Michael Rainbow adds his own vocals to this track, adding to Sara “Chibi” Taylor’s own. I’ve been listening to you all gush about Sparks, or Wet Leg, or The Smoke, and any number of bands that have appeared multiple times on y’all’s lists. This band is my MVP.

SIX

Angel Olsen, Go Home

Angel dug deeper into the world of country and Americana music, but I found this new album to be her best in some time. Go Home features her most powerful vocals, going from a gentle murmur to a roaring passion, in a song that could be about the worsening environment, or perhaps an account of her despair and longing during lockdown.

TRANNY

Tallah, The Hard Reset

I'd be willing to wager that you guys will hate this even more than the last Tallah song. The Hard Reset is the 1st proper song on their record "The Generation of Danger" and it does a masterful job of establishing the crushing, chaotic tone that runs through the entire record through its particularly pervasive brand of overwhelming heaviness.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

John
Sarah Shook & The Disarmers, Talkin' To Myself
Not bad.

Leestu
Fontaines D.C., I Love You
Not bad at all. I like the slowburning rhythm and how it evolves and grows. That's a thick accent. That's really good. I'll listen to that one again for sure.

Ron
Meg Mac, Is It Worth Being Sad
At first I thought it wasn't good, but in fact, even if I'm not particularly fan, it does grow interestingly and turns out alright.

Shryke
The Birthday Massacre, Precious Hearts
Meh. No.

Six
Crack Cloud, Please Yourself
Interesting and boring at the same time. I like the last "act" better.

Tranny
The Weeknd, Sacrifice
Groovy, but still didn't make me move much from my chair, a bit too expected.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

John
St. Paul & The Broken Bones, The Alien Coast
I'm chartreuse too. But I'm still hesitating about this one. At first I thought it wasn't great, but there are moments I found great in it. I think I'll listen to it again to properly make up my mind.

Leestu
The Smith Street Band, I Don’t Wanna Do Nothing Forever
Can't say I like it, cause I have a hard time with the voice, but there's something cool about this nonetheless.

Ron
Noah Dillon, I C.A.N.T
Another voice I don't like. The kind of song that probably is cool live or at a party, but listening on YouTube doesn't offer much. And that voice...

Shryke
The Birthday Massacre, One More Time
I think this band isn't for me.

Six
Angel Olsen, Go Home
Now that is a great voice. And a very good song. Delicate and powerful at the same time.

Tranny
Tallah, The Hard Reset
I don't hate it. It's just not for me. For sure.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Great round!

CHIENFANTOME-Widowspeak - I like the downbeat tempo. Its something id listen to again for sure. 7/10

JOHNERLE-The Cactus Blossoms - Not normally a fan of country, and doesn't this sound alot like something else? But its not bad. 5.5/10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hx4gdlfamo

LEESTU-Wet Leg - First time i ever heard of Wet Leg, you guys sure do know where to find that cool new stuff. I liked it. 6.5/10

SHRYKESPEARE-Cannons - Nice, dreamy but bouncy, good bass. All round its a good song! 7/10

SIX-Sorry - First time i ever heard of Sorry, you guys sure do know where to find that good new music. I really liked it. Like you said, it has element of other bands which i enjoyed alot. 7.5/10

TRANNY-Tove Lo and SG Lewis - I have heard this one somewhere, its definitely up my alley. Great choice mate. 7.5/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien - Juliette Armanet - If you mean our 2000-2019 countdown, yes, I do remember. I like the disco beat, and I don't even mind that I don't understand the lyrics (beyond what you translated). Good stuff.

JohnErle - Sarah Shook & The Disarmers - Liked it, didn't love it.

Leestu - Fontaines D.C. - I look forward to not hearing them again until next year's countdown. That's all I'll say.

Ron B - Meg Mac - I've never heard of Meg, but I can see I've missed out. This was fantastic. Her voice is incredible.

Six - Crack Cloud - Not for me.

Tranny - The Weeknd - I like some of his stuff, but the rest falls squarly in the middle. Just like this one.

Chien - The National feat. Bon Iver - Lyrics weren't that bad, but yeah, the music was good. He has a great voice.

JohnErle - St. Paul & The Broken Bones - I've heard some of this band's stuff before. I remember liking it. This, not so much.

Leestu - The Smith Street Band - I love the message, but not the voice that delivered it.

Ron B - Noah Dillon - Not sure how I feel about this. It was weird. Loved the line about Trump, though.

Six - Angel Olsen - Just okay for me.

Tranny - Tallah - Glad I didn't take that bet, Tranny.