Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#51

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

becs
Marty McFly

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#51

Post by becs »

SONG #52

Shrykespeare
New Order, “Vanishing Point”
(1989)
Very 80's, I liked it alot.

NSpan
Pixies, "Velouria”
(1990) (also numbersix's #93)
Not as good as yesterday's selection IMO.

Numbersix
Pulp, "This is Hardcore"
(1998)
WOW, easily my favorite of the round. Very unexpected. Great video too.

Geezer
Black Sabbath- "Paranoid"

Haven't heard it before, but very good song, Dunno if it would stand out in a lineup though.

undeadmonkey
Peter Gabriel, “I Grieve”

I think I would have to be in the right mood, it seemed pretty, but waaay too slow and long for me tonight.

leestu
Joy Division, “Atmosphere”
(1980)
It wasn't bad but didn't jump out at me in any way.

*Buscemi
Pixies, “Where Is My Mind?”

An awesome song, always very memorable and whenever I hear it it sticks in my head.

silversurfer
Television, “Marquee Moon”

This whole round seems to be alot of the same... good but not really grabbing me.

transformers
Judas Priest, “Breaking The Law”

I doubt I'd ever put this on a playlist, but it is a classic and a good song regardless.

W
Merle Haggard, “Mama Tried”

oi, no.

Banks
Soul For Real, “Candy Rain”

Oh man, I had forgotten all about this song, and reminding me of it was not a good thing.

englishozzy
Travis, “Flowers in the Window”

Decent enough song, the women all being pregnant in the video was creepy. Definitely not as good to me as Writing to Reach You.

*BarcaRulz
Powderfinder, "On My Mind"

I must have been associating the name Powderfinger with some other band all along, this was definitely not what I was expecting from the song. Quite liked it, very bluesy rock, reminds me a bit of Johnny Lang.

Ron Burgundy
Digitalism, “Zdarlight”

Really enjoyed it, I didn't recognize the name, but I'm fairly sure this has come across my electronic station on Pandora a time or two.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Shryke, I'll try to have my songs to you Friday. Ive been working like crazy plus I'm moving this weekend so I won't be on much.

And that Oran Juice song is hilariously awesome. That ending is great.
Friday works for me. Good thing we're taking a break.

Glad you liked the song, it IS awesome. I wish the "alternate" versions were also available, as I remember them distinctly when this song was on the radio. They were:

1) Instead of Jones's rant at the end, a severely pissed-off black woman teed off on him, "You're just like 7UP... never had it, never will."
2) Jones's rant was there, but every comment featured an equally scathing reply... by a man with a very "gay" accent.
3) Instead of a rant, you hear Jones say, "Hey baby, come on in here..." (sound of gunshot) (song ends)

They were all so hysterical. Wish any of them still existed.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Shrykespeare
Smash Mouth, “Fallen Horses”
(1999)
well it doesnt really blow me away, but i do like it.

NSpan
Pixies, "Hey”
(1989) (also silversurfer's #84 and leestu's #54)
maybe the third times the charm..... nope. i will say i would rather listen to them than nirvana though, but that's not saying much.

Numbersix
The Rapture, "House of Jealous Lovers"
(2003)
it was kinda cool

Geezer
Bad Religion- "Los Angeles is Burning"

i actually enjoyed the lyrics, but i'm just not into this kind of music, but it was definitely not grating as some other pics are.

becs
Antony and the Johnsons, “Hope There's Someone”

that was great, i enjoyed it.

leestu
The Velvet Underground, “Pale Blue Eyes”
(1969)
that was also very good. very interesting, and i wont mind hearing it again, when it shows up on Nspans list.

Buscemi
Nancy Adams, “Love”

yea, i dont know which disney movie this is from

silversurfer
Mansun, “Six”

parts of it were really good and parts of it were awful

W
Queen, “Killer Queen”

i didnt like this one

Banks
50 Cent, “Baltimore Love Thing”

while i dont hate 50. i would rather listen to his singles than any of his other stuff.

englishozzy
The Ramones, “I Wanna Be Sedated”
(also becs's #67)
didnt like it as much as before, but still not as bad.

BarcaRulz
The Frames, "Revelate"

didnt like it

Ron Burgundy
Gotye, “Thanks For Your Time”

see above comment

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Becs, you had NEVER heard PARANOID???? How is that even possible?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I'm just working on my comments for my next batch, Shryke, I should have them with you within the next 24 hours. I just gotta find a time when my wife is in a good mood and will let me occupy the computer for more than 20 minutes...

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Fantaverse Top 100 Songs of All Time (THREAD #5): #60-#5

Post by Shrykespeare »

Jeez, I had a lot of trouble posting some of your videos. Many of them were either removed or blocked. Don't make me work so hard, people!

Anyway, here we are. The halfway point. Mid-season. Our fiftieth song.

SONG #51

Shrykespeare
Billy Idol, “Rebel Yell”
(1984)

My last song before we hit our halftime intermission is probably one of the most recognized, most-played, most kick-ass rock songs of the 80’s. In an era when hard rock was all groups composed of leather-and-spandex-clad, big haired hooligans, Billy was one of the very few to go it alone. Though he had just as many misses as hits, when he was on, he was frickin’ ON. And this isn’t the only one of his songs on my list.

NSpan
T-Rex, "Rock On
” (1972)

My second-favorite T-Rex song. Another casualty of the over-zealous production on The Slider, the original "Rock On" has horns, strings, double- (and sometimes triple-)tracked vocals, and a piano. It's just too much. Like the Let It Be...Naked version of the (originally Phil Spector-produced) Beatles' album, the widely-available "deluxe" version of The Slider contains a second disc with a stripped down version of the entire album. This is where the genius of Marc Bolan really shines. He worked best with simplicity. His innate charm and knack for melody was always more than enough to carry a song. Tony Visconti (producer for David Bowie, Thin Lizzy, Gentle Giant, Rick Wakeman, and Morrissey) simply should never have gotten involved with T.Rex. The original version of the song is widely available on YouTube if you're curious.

Numbersix
Rolling Stones, "Wild Horses"
(1971) (also undeadmonkey's #81, kind of)

The Stones are undisputed rock n roll gods, but it was in the early 70’s when they hit their creative peak. Not only were they churning out great rock songs like “Bitch” and “Gimme Shelter”, but they also showed a very tender side. This is another country rock ballad that’s brimming with warmth and passion, with the band taking its time to allow us to understand what they’re trying to express.

(Moderator's note: Had to replace six's video with one that, you know, WORKED.)

Geezer
Lostprophets- "Last Train Home"
(also englishozzy's #60)

I was so pleased to hear this show up on another list on the countdown, as it is just so damn awesome. I can't help but sing along every time. I loved it from the first 5 seconds I heard it, and that is usually true about all of my favorite songs (and conversely, why I may be a touch negative towards your songs, because if I don't love it right away, its rare for a song to ever break into my consciousness. It better be good the first time) Easily their best, but they do have some other notable songs worth checking out if you are a fan.

becs
Queen, “Killer Queen”
(also W's #53)

Guaranteed to blow your mind! That is all.

undeadmonkey
The Killers, “Somebody Told Me”

I love a lot of The Killers' songs but this one just is in a league above all others. I've heard this song countless times and it just does not get old.

leestu
The Smiths, “Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me”
(1987)

My first of three songs by the Smiths this was their last single they ever released, from their underrated “Strangeways, Here We Come”. Personally I liked the direction this album took with its sophistication, and this song just conveys such sorrow and loneliness that I am moved every time I hear it. How much pathos is there in the line “last night I dreamt that somebody loved me, no hope, no harm, just another false alarm”?

Buscemi
Spandau Ballet, “True”

Another one of those great 1980's tracks. Though the song has basically become a cliche of what the 1980's were like (thanks to Steve Buscemi performing it in The Wedding Singer), it is more than that. It was also a tribute to Marvin Gaye so you can feel its impact to listeners.

silversurfer
Sunny Day Real Estate, “Seven”

The opener of “Diary”, “Seven” is a crunching, frenetic, yet undeniably melodic song which takes in a little Quicksand. Obviously an inspiration to the likes of Jimmy Eat World et al., Sunny Day Real Estate were a breath of fresh air to me in the mid 90s.

transformers
Muse, “Stockholm Syndrome”

Muse is a just plain amazing band, and this has all the elements of what make Muse so special.

W
The Who, “Won't Get Fooled Again”
(also Geezer's #73)

Are The Who the greatest band of all time? Well, considering that each of the four is a God of Rock in their own right, you can't argue against it. You can only argue for a different band. In one respect, this is their best song, but I have another that I like even more coming up much later.

Banks
Eminem, “Stan”
(also Ron Burgundy's #65)

Here it is again. I think this is Eminem at his best; just the audacity of crafting a song from the viewpoint of a deranged fan takes me aback. The lyrics are great as usual, and Dido’s song works as a great reprieve from the harder stuff in the verses. The video is powerful and I’m glad he released this as a single – if only to show people he’s not all about dissing Christina Aguilera and Madonna.

englishozzy
Enter Shikari, “Jonny Sniper”

Probably won't get many fans from this video but saw these guys live a few years back and fell in love with their style and especially this song. Not very well known and a little bit off the beaten track but a good solid band.

Moderator's note: If the above is blocked where you are, try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeFhQnEbDRw

BarcaRulz
Augie March, "One Crowded Hour"
(also leestu's #92)

I think this song has already been listed, and I was very happy to see that it was. Yet another Aussie hit on my list, this one a song that immensely helped in getting an album released after it was played on radio stations non-stop and got an extremely positive reaction.

Moderator's note: the above was blocked when I tried playing it. If it's blocked for you, here's the version that leestu posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWolAjUkTrQ

Ron Burgundy
Faith No More, “Midlife Crisis”

Yes, I saw them live this year. Mike Patton is practically a genius. Sickness.

(Moderator's note: Sorry, Ron, your version was blocked, so I had to replace it.)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare - Billy Idol, “Rebel Yell” (1984) - There's something fun about this song. But the problem is that Billy Idol never seemed to be about the music, it was about the style, the poses, the planned moves and snarls. As if he were acting LIKE a punk but not BEING one. Then again, that was the 80's for ya ;).

NSpan: T-Rex, "Rock On” (1972) Sorry man, even though this is the stripped down version I didn't like it. It felt too flimsy as a song. It's really just that riff, and it just can't carry the entire song. Really doesn't make me think of Bolan's song-writing abilities.

Geezer: Lostprophets- "Last Train Home" (also englishozzy's #60) - Can't remember what I said about this the other week. Can't even remember the song. That should be enough to indicate what I think of the song.

becs: Queen, “Killer Queen” (also W's #53) - Still great. Hell, it may be even better this time round, now that I'm actively listening to the song (something I didn't really do when I heard it on the radio).

undeadmonkey: The Killers, “Somebody Told Me” - If only their lyrics could match their music. Even though it's new-wavey (a genre I'm not a huge fan of), I like the music in this one. But it just sounds as if the songer was late for work and scribbled lyrcs on a napkin on the bus there. Nonsensical stuff, making the sound average at best.

leestu: The Smiths, “Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me” (1987) - While I can't agree that Strangeways is under-rated (it's a little overblown, making it the least favourite of thier 4 albums), I do think this is an excellent song. Great lyrics, great vocals. Ever hear Low's stripped-down cover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QlvZ2WKZS8

Buscemi: Spandau Ballet, “True” - This was a cliche way before The Wedding Singer came out. In fact, the whole reason it was mocked in the film was because it was always played in weddings in the first place! It is a very corny-sounding song, but at least the vocals are nice.

silversurfer: Sunny Day Real Estate, “Seven” - Heard a lot about these guys so was looking forward to hearing this. But you're right, I do hear a lot of Jimmy Eat World and all that. They were an inspiration to the likes of that kind of act, but I don't like any of those acts at all, so I don't particulary like this song.

transformers: Muse, “Stockholm Syndrome” - This song kinda rocked at first but Muse are so OTT that I shortly tuned out.

W: The Who, “Won't Get Fooled Again” (also Geezer's #73) - And speaking of OTT, at least The Who were fun. But again, this song goes on for so long and there's so much soloing and general dicking-around that I just felt like screaming at the to get to the song.

Banks: Eminem, “Stan” (also Ron Burgundy's #65) - Like it even less after hearing it again. Eminem's lyrics are just so silly, so obviously trying to be genuine but coming across as adolescent. Big shock tactic at the end. Dido's voice is the only redeemable factor.

englishozzy: Enter Shikari, “Jonny Sniper” - This song confused me. At first there's what sounds like a boxing announcer, then it sounds like a Van Halen song, then it gets screamy like it's hardcore, and eventually settles into bland rock. What a disappointment.

BarcaRulz: Augie March, "One Crowded Hour" (also leestu's #92) - Didn't think much of it (don't worry Leetsu, you've totally redeemed yourself) then, don't think much of it now

Ron Burgundy: Faith No More, “Midlife Crisis” - Maybe I just want to like something after the last few songs, but this was okay. A lot of FNM songs sound the same, but this was pretty good.

To be honest, a bit of a disappointing round after the last few. But you can't win them all I guess. Thread roundup and impression at the halfway mark coming this evening.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

Shrykespeare - Billy Idol, “Rebel Yell”
Classic song. A song that has been played many of times during my life, gets you going everytime. 8/10
NSpan - T-Rex, "Rock On”
Got a bit repetitive in places but had a good catchy tune which kept me hooked. 7/10
Numbersix - Rolling Stones, "Wild Horses"
Never have and never will like the Rolling Stones. 2/10
Geezer - Lostprophets- "Last Train Home"
Obviously im gonna like it :) 9/10
becs - Queen, “Killer Queen”
Still enjoyed this song for the second time. 7/10
undeadmonkey - The Killers, “Somebody Told Me”
Hands down there best song they have done. Love it. 9/10
leestu - The Smiths, “Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me”
Wasn't expecting to enjoy this song as much as i did. 7/10
Buscemi - Spandau Ballet, “True”
My g/f absolutley loves this song but unfortunately i have heard it so many times now it has grown old on me. 4/10
silversurfer - Sunny Day Real Estate, “Seven”
Not a bad song, my mind is pretty split about it though. 5/10
transformers - Muse, “Stockholm Syndrome”
One of their best songs off my favourite Muse album. Great pick. 8/10
W - The Who, “Won't Get Fooled Again”
Not really a fan of this song, listening to it for a second time didnt really change my mind. 3/10
Banks - Eminem, “Stan”
If i could choose a favourite song from this guy this would be it but not really saying much. 4/10
BarcaRulz - Augie March, "One Crowded Hour"
Pretty good song, have heard this song before but didn't know they were from Australia. 7/10
Ron Burgundy - Faith No More, “Midlife Crisis”
Surprisingly quite enjoyed it. Very familiar song though probaly heard it somewhere though. 6/10
"Then telephone for an axe"

becs
Marty McFly

Post by becs »

Geezer wrote:Becs, you had NEVER heard PARANOID???? How is that even possible?
Sheltered childhood, and it not being a band I would generally actively seek out music from in my adult life.
At least we can abort fetuses. Bad grammar and language last a lifetime.
- Donte

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Lots of repeats today!

My thoughts (in order of preference):

Ron Burgundy – Faith No More, “Midlife Crisis” – Love this song! My second favorite FNM song next to “Epic”. (8)

becs – Queen, “Killer Queen” – Still awesome two days later. Thanks for posting the actual video! (Though I'm glad Freddie cut his hair later on.) (8)

leestu – The Smiths, “Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me” – Boy, Morrissey sure did love those looooong song titles, didn't he? With that voice, you just can't go wrong, that's for sure. I haven't listened to The Smiths as much as to Morrissey's solo stuff, but it's all good. I have one more Morrissey song coming up myself. (7)

W – The Who, “Won't Get Fooled Again” – Great version, W! Can't help but wonder what your other Who song is... (7)

undeadmonkey – The Killers, “Somebody Told Me” – I really like this song! Still not the biggest fan of the lead singer's voice, but it's very catchy and memorable. Probably my favorite of theirs. They do give me the same vibe that Eve 6 did a decade ago. (7)

numbersix – Rolling Stones, Wild Horses” – Love the Stones, six, but having heard this again, I still prefer The Sundays' version. Great source material, though. (6)

Banks – Eminem, “Stan” – I've warmed to this song a little since Ron B posted it. It's not bad at all. (6)

transformers – Muse, “Stockholm Syndrome” – I'm only okay on Muse, but the instrumentation was pretty intense here even for them... when the song started, I thought I was listening to some classic 80's metal. (6)

Geezer – Lostprophets, “Last Train Home” – Just okay. (6)

silversurfer – Sunny Day Real Estate, “Seven” – I mentioned this when you sent me your latest batch of songs, Surfer, but it really is quite a coincidence that you have songs called “Six” and “Seven” only two spots apart! Having heard both of them for the first time, however, I have to say that unlike in life (except playing golf), “Six” tops “Seven”. The former was kind of a retro throwback that I like; the latter just had nothing that stood out to me. (5)

BarcaRulz – Augie March, “One Crowded Hour” – Didn't remember this song from when it was posted six weeks ago. So-so. Still think he looks like the love child of Michael J. Fox and Eric Stoltz. (5)

englishozzy – Enter Shakiri, “Jonny Sniper” – I liked half the song, specifically the parts where he wasn't screaming. (5)

NSpan – T.Rex, “Rock On” – Who here thinks that NSpan's soul was reincarnated from some 60's hipster who attended Woodstock, owned a VW bus and had a closet full of bandannas and tie-dye shirts? Look at this thread: Pink Floyd, The Stones, Cream, The Kinks and now T.Rex... (I think you threw those two Pixies songs in just to throw us off.) I'm on to you, man! (5)

Buscemi – Spandau Ballet, “True” – I remember when this song first started getting airplay, and I HATED it. These days, I've mellowed on it a little bit, but not to the point where I like it. I put this in that group of 80's music that was just a little bit TOO soft, like Sade, Air Supply, most of Human League, etc. (4)

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

SONG #52:

Shryke - New to me. Was pretty good. I especially like the music as you said. 6.5/10.

Nspan - It was Ok, but nothing special. 5.5/10.

numbersix - Liked it, especially the piano and drum beat. 6/10.

Geezer - Always liked it, but never that much of a favorite. 6.5/10.

becs - Never liked this one. Has its moments but not that many of them. 3/10.

UDM - Liked the music, until it went weird in the end there. 5.5/10.

leestu - One of my favorite JD songs. 7/10.

Buscemi - It was Ok. 5/10.

SS - Liked it at first, but then it kept going too long IMO. 5/10.

tranny - Nice pick, always fun to listen to this again. 6.5/10.

W - No country for me thanks. Although better than most other country. 2.5/10.

Banks - Swing and a miss. 1/10.

englishozzy - I like alot of Travis' material, this one was new to me, and I liked it. 7/10.

Ron - I liked it. New to me and it caught my attention and kept it. 6.5/10.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

SONG #51:

Shryke - This is classic BI. I always enjoy this song. Nice pick. 7/10.

Nspan - Was Ok, nothing really special. 5.5/10.

numbersix - Nice pick. 7/10.

Geezer - Same as before. 6.5/10.

becs - Same as before. 5.5/10.

UDM - The lyrics are SO SO bad, but it's still catchy and I really like the music. Could have been better though. 6.5/10.

leestu - Very nice pick. I really like this song. 8/10.

Buscemi - I totally forgot about this song for like 5 years until it was on Modern Family a while back. Never really liked it, but it does have its moments. 4/10.

SS - Didn't do much for me. Liked the music in parts, hated the vocals all the way through. 4/10.

tranny - Very nice pick. Love me some muse. 7.5/10.

W - The Who are awesome, as is this song. Barely missed out on my list. 9/10.

Banks - Same as before. 4/10.

englishozzy - Agree word for word with what Shryke said. 5/10.

Ron - Was pretty good. 6/10.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here's a look back at the last ten days' worth of songs.

Shrykespeare
60. Lush, Last Night
59. UB40, Wear You to the Ball
58. The Format, The First Single
57. Depeche Mode, It's No Good
56. Erasure, The Circus
55. Art of Noise, Close (to the Edit)
54. XTC, King For a Day
53. Smash Mouth, Fallen Horses
52. New Order, Vanishing Point
51. Billy Idol, Rebel Yell

NSpan
60. Pink Floyd, San Tropez
59. Toadies, Doll Skin
58. Mama Cass, Dream a Little Dream of Me
57. Pink Floyd, Fat Old Sun
56. Rolling Stones, Jig-Saw Puzzle
55. Cream, Politician
54. The Kinks, Death of a Clown
53. Pixies, Hey
52. Pixies, Velouria
51. T.Rex, Rock On

Numbersix
60. Nina Simone, Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
59. Devo, (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
58. DJ Shadow, High Noon
57. The Velvet Underground, Sweet Jane
56. Kate Bush, Running Up That Hill
55. The Fall, Totally Wired
54. Interpol, Hands Away
53. The Rapture, House of Jealous Lovers
52. Pulp, This is Hardcore
51. Rolling Stones, Wild Horses

Geezer
60. Blink-182, Going Away to College
59. Geto Boyz, Damn It Feels Good To Be a Gangsta
58. Pink Floyd, Another Brick in the Wall Part 2
57. Green Day, Longview
56. Nirvana, Dumb
55. Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody
54. Bob Dylan, The Times They Are A Changin'
53. Bad Religion, Los Angeles Is Burning
52. Black Sabbath, Paranoid
51. Lostprophets, Last Train Home

becs
60. The Beatles, I Want To Hold Your Hand
59. Smashing Pumpkins, Disarm
58. David Bowie, The Man Who Sold the World
57. Live, Turn My Head
56. Simon and Garfunkel, Hazy Shade of Winter
55. Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody
54. Radiohead, 2+2=5
53. Antony and the Johnsons, Hope There's Someone
52. Depeche Mode, Personal Jesus
51. Queen, Killer Queen

undeadmonkey
60. Smash Mouth, All Star
59. Dixie Chicks, Long Time Gone
58. Dixie Chicks, Godspeed (Sweet Dreams)
57. Hans Zimmer, King of Pride Rock
56. Amy Winehouse, You Know I'm No Good
55. Jason Aldean, Big Green Tractor
54. Shakira, Don't Bother
53. Alison Krauss and Union Station, Let Me Touch You For a While
52. Peter Gabriel, I Grieve
51. The Killers, Somebody Told Me

leestu
60. The Pogues, Dirty Old Town
59. Mudhoney, The Rose
58. Pulp, Common People
57. R.E.M., It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
56. Grandmaster Flash & Furious Five, The Message
55. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, The Mercy Seat
54. Pixies, Hey
53. The Velvet Underground, Pale Blue Eyes
52. Joy Division, Atmosphere
51. The Smiths, Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

Buscemi
60. Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Blinded By the Light
59. Radiohead, Creep
58. Wu-Tang Clan, Tearz
57. Angelo Badalamenti, Laura Palmer's Theme
56. Alice in Chains, I Stay Away
55. Tom Tom Club, Genius of Love
54. Yaz (Yazoo), Only You
53. Nancy Adams, Love
52. Pixies, Where Is My Mind?
51. Spandau Ballet, True

silversurfer
60. Jeff Buckley, Mojo Pin
59. Gang of Four, Natural's Not In It
58. Silverchair, Israel's Son
57. Patti Smith, Land
56. Black Sabbath, War Pigs
55. Idlewild, When I Argue I See Shapes
54. Queens of the Stone Age, The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret
53. Mansun, Six
52. Television, Marquee Moon
51. Sunny Day Real Estate, Seven

transformers
60. Weezer, Hash Pipe
59. Atmosphere, Wild Wild Horses
58. Dropkick Murphys, The State of Massachusetts
57. Faith No More, Epic
56. 3 Inches of Blood, Trial of Champions
55. Sublime, Garden Grove
54. Rise Against, Like the Angel
53. Rage Against the Machine, Calm Like a Bomb
52. Judas Priest, Breaking the Law
51. Muse, Stockholm Syndrome

W
60. Aerosmith, Last Child
59. The Beatles, Revolution 1
58. Blue Oyster Cult, (Don't Fear) The Reaper
57. AC/DC, Rock n' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
56. The Youngbloods, Get Together
55. The Doors, Roadhouse Blues
54. The Doobie Brothers, Black Water
53. Queen, Killer Queen
52. Merle Haggard, Mama Tried
51. The Who, Won't Get Fooled Again

Banks
60. She & Him, Why Do You Let Me Stay Here
59. Nas, Rewind
58. Bobby Womack, Across 110th Street
57. The Notorious B.I.G., Suicidal Thoughts
56. Gorillaz, Clint Eastwood
55. Kanye West, Welcome to Heartbreak
54. Bone Thugs & Harmony feat. Notorious B.I.G., Notorious Thugs
53. 50 Cent, Baltimore Love Thing
52. Soul For Real, Candy Rain
51. Eminem, Stan

englishozzy
60. Lostprophets, Last Train Home
59. Audioslave, Like a Stone
58. Radiohead, Creep
57. Aerosmith, Dream On
56. Matchbox 20, 3AM
55. The Raconteurs, Steady As She Goes
54. Rammstein, Feuer Frei
53. The Ramones, I Wanna Be Sedated
52. Travis, Flowers in the Window
51. Enter Shikari, Jonny Sniper

BarcaRulz
60. Silverchair, Tomorrow
59. The Hives, Hate to Say I Told You So
58. Taxiride, Creeping Up Slowly
57. Robert Miles, Children
56. Breaking Benjamin, Here We Are
55. The Raconteurs, Steady As She Goes
54. Eskimo Joe, Black Fingernails, Red Wine
53. The Frames, Revelate
52. Powderfinger, On My Mind
51. Augie March, One Crowded Hour

Ron Burgundy
60. Radiohead, There There
59. Chemical Brothers, Hey Boy Hey Girl
58. Dire Straits, Money For Nothing
57. Talking Heads, Once in a Lifetime
56. Weird Al Yankovic, Eat It
55. Rage Against the Machine, Testify
54. Interpol, Obstacle 1
53. Gotye, Thanks For Your Time
52. Digitalism, Zdarlight
51. Faith No More, Midlife Crisis

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Favorite Songs That I'd Heard Before (And Are On My List)
englishozzy - Audioslave, "Like a Stone" (10)

Favorite Songs That I'd Heard Before (Not On My List)
englishozzy - Rammstein, "Feuer Frei" (10)
Buscemi - Tom Tom Club, "Genius of Love" (10)
numbersix - Kate Bush, Running Up That Hill (9)
Buscemi - Yaz (Yazoo), "Only You" (9)
transformers - Faith No More, "Epic" (9)

Favorite Songs That I Hadn't Heard Before (Or Don't Remember Having Heard)
Ron Burgundy - Digitalism, "Zdarlight" (9)
BarcaRulz - Robert Miles, "Children" (9)
BarcaRulz - Taxiride, "Creeping Up Slowly" (8)
Ron Burgundy - Gotye, "Thanks For Your Time" (8)
BarcaRulz - Eskimo Joe, "Black Fingernails, Red Wine (8)

As you can see from the above, this was a red-letter thread for Barca and Ron B.

My favorite posters this thread (with average scores per song)
1. englishozzy, 7.2
2. Ron Burgundy, 6.9
T3. BarcaRulz, 6.3
T3. Geezer, 6.3
T3. becs, 6.3

My favorite lists (since we started)
1. englishozzy, 6.84
2. becs, 6.78
3. Geezer, 6.72
4. Ron Burgundy, 6.70
5. BarcaRulz, 6.41

Later tonight, I'll create an "Intermission" thread, where we can review our favorites from the last 50 days.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Shryke- cool song, never gets old.

NSpan- boring

Six- really really good song.

becs- still good

UDM- its ok, but its not one of their best in my opinion.

leestu- and I though NSpan's song was boring!

Buscemi- its kind of a joke song to me. I dunno I can't take it serious as a piece of music with how many times I've heard it in movies and tv.

Surfer- I wasn't blown away, but there was something here to my liking. I think I may need to delve deeper into the band.

tranny- another absolutely fantastic Muse song. Love it!

W- they are certainly in the top 5 at least. Still fucking awesome!

Bankd- still probably em's best song, and one of the three or four I like.

Ozzy- Someone get that first singer a cough drop, luckily he doesn't scream a lot because other than that, its really freaking good! This will be revisited!

Barca- this is still a top 10 song that I hadn't previously heard across the whole countdown. An absolutely amazing song. One of the true gifts of this whole ordeal. I rarely reach the end of most songs on here one time, I most certainly played this one front to back both times it was on.

Ron- Not the best song of the day, but certainly one of the good ones. Love the chorus, but the verses drag it down.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude