Top 30 Songs of 2021

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 30 Songs of 2021

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote:
January 10th, 2022, 4:33 pm

Shryke: Well, the talent is clearly still there. Found the vocals to be a bit underwhelming though.
FUUUUUUNNNY. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Leestu (WAAX) - Great. Now I've got WAAX in my ears. :D This was pretty badass.

Trnny ;) (The Weeknd) - He's got a great voice, and the music is cool. But there's just...something...that's keeping me from turning the corner and becoming a Weeknd Warrior. That said, this was good. The synths had an 80s feel that remind me of The Midnight.

Six (Self Esteem) - Interesting mix of styles. Can't say I'm over the moon about it, but it was ok.

Surfer (Buck Meek) - This did absolutely nothing for me.

Ron B (Choombawoomba) - Well, this was definitely...a song. With a video. I found myself bobbing my head to the beat like the Roxbury guys, but that's about all I found positive about it.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shryke (Volbeat): that was a great start, and there were mostly good moments throughout, but ouch that chorus just loses me everytime. I think that's a common reaction of mine to Volbeat songs (I guess with 4 in your 100 we'll see)

Tranny (Limp Bizkit): I can't help but find the fun in Limp Bizkit, and it's easy to find here...I had no idea they had no music out though

Six (TV Priest): This was great! Chugged along nicely. I had two songs of theirs in my top 100 last year but I haven't heard this album yet. To be honest it came out early in the year and I forgot all about it before I got around to it.

Surfer (Pinch Points): :lol: that was fun, never heard of them before, thanks

Ron (The Weeknd & Post Malone): I usually don't mind Postie but The Weeknd annoy me. The Weeknd win here and even Post Malone's bit is annoying ,sounding like he is singing a The Weeknd song, which I guess he is, but it meant he doesn't help the song here

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

JohnErle joins us tomorrow

SONG #21

Shrykespeare

Gary Numan, And It Breaks Me Again

Is this how it ends?
So quiet, so quiet
And so, is this how pain finds us?
So helpless, so helpless
And so, is this how love breaks me?
By taking, by taking you

My favorite track from Gary’s 2021 album Intruder, the gut-wrenching lyrics are told from the perspective of the Earth, lamenting the loss of humanity as we barrel toward self-extinction. I love how he unfolds his songs, like hymns, interspersing the chorus and verses with slow, deliberate precision. The synth sound he helped pioneer almost feels like the coauthor of this tragedy, and it gets me every time.

Leestu

Bobby Gillespie & Jehnny Beth, Remember We Were Lovers

Bobby Gillespie from Primal Scream and Jenny Beth from Savages joined forces for a collaborative album about the breakdown of relationships. This was the first single released. I’m such a sucker for break up duets.

Tranny

Halsey, The Lighthouse

Even if Trent Reznor didn't contribute some vocals to the outro, this is the track on the new Halsey record where he and Atticus Ross' involvement comes across the most. The murky, dissonant guitar-riddled production creates an ominous aura that adds a lot of bite to this track that weaves a tale of a siren luring predatory sailors to their death.

Six

Iceage, Gold City

Well, these Danish lads have come a long way. Starting off making trashy noise, they sauntered through cowpunk and now sound like aficionados of both 70s rock and roll and 90s baggy. Gold City fits in the former category, with big, swaggering Stones hooks and a Springsteen-esque chorus. Plus, it sounded mighty when I saw them play it love in November.

Surfer

Pozi, Sea Song

Following up their debut EP from a couple of years ago with another last summer, Sea Song was a haunting return for Pozi. Using the slowly evolving nature of the lyrics to evoke the uncertainty of a world still in the clutches of a pandemic, the band create a hypnotic stream where solid bass meets scratchy nervous violin that swirls and copies the sea in its mystery and dynamics. Building in to a frantic swirl of paranoia as Rosa Brook’s voice echos that place of cold depression, Sea Song is a fearsome and evocative return to one of the most exciting bands in the country.

RON B

Rufus Du Sol, On My Knees

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Nothing in this round really impressed (or depressed) me. It was all just okay.

I did enjoy the synths in the Rufus Du Sol, song, though.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shryke: It was alright. Did you ever hear the song Numan did with Battles?

Leetsu: A surprising concept, given the music of these two. I thought I'd love it but it didn't quite affect me, which is a shame. I'm hoping Jehnny returns to Savages some day soon.

Tranny: Liked the fuzzy production, but the song itself was average.

Surf: Love these guys. They were an unexpected highlight of a music festival I went to in Sept. This is great. I must get the EP

Ron: Again, something to enjoy when out, but not at home full of COVID

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote:
January 12th, 2022, 8:50 am

Shryke: It was alright. Did you ever hear the song Numan did with Battles?
I did. It was a trip. So was the video.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Welcome, JohnErle!

SONG #20

Shrykespeare

Unknown Mortal Orchestra, That Life

All day swimming, under the palm trees
Look how they gracefully sway
Some kinda gin drink, some kinda jewelry
Some kinda fancy machine
Why is there always crying and quarreling
Filtering through the malaise?
I can hear someone runnin' their mouth and
The neighbors will call the police

Kicking off my Top 20 is a band from New Zealand that I hadn’t heard of prior to 2021. What struck me first (other than the hysterical video) were the lyrics, which are Ruban Nelson delivers with such quirky coolness, layered over a chord progression that’s really quite interesting. I have yet to dive deeper into this band, but that may change this year.

Leestu

L’objectif, Drive In Mind

I first heard half of this song on the radio and my ears pricked up immediately. I had to know who this was. Became one of my most played songs for the year (well they nearly all are from now really). Not doing much different, just doing it damn well! As far as I am aware this is the debut single from a new band. What a way to start. I look forward to seeing if they can take this anywhere further.

Tranny

Tyler, the Creator feat. Lil Wayne, Hot Wind Blows

On his 7th LP "Call When You Get Lost", Tyler, the Creator did a great job of finding a balance between the more refined, introspective stuff he's put out over the past few years and the hyperactive, sophomoric efforts that put him on the map as a very young adult back in the late 2000's. The smooth, sophisticated flute-driven production and abundant silliness of both his own verse and Lil Wayne's guest spot is a pretty prime example of the record's winning balance.

Six

Sufjan Stevens & Angelo De Augustine, Cimmerian Shade

It’s like this album was designed for me. Not only is it a collection of tender folk songs from one of the greatest singer-songwriters of our age, but it’s also an album dedicated to movies, with each song inspired by a different film. While most of the tracks are great, this one is particularly interesting, adopting the POV of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs as he laments his outcome, sings how he just wants to be loved, and implores the director to help him.

Surfer

Spread Joy, St. Tropez

There was no time to waste on Spread Joy's neon glow explosion of a breakthrough single released mid way through last year. The band’s post-punk sound is razor sharp and impeccably tight, bouncing around with a casual jitteriness and the acrobatic vocals of Briana Hernandez. With the riffs disjointed and densely wound, intertwining with the tight rhythm, it creates a perfect platform for the mangled groove and Hernandez’s rapid yelp as she proclaims “queer menace here to ruin your day.” Exhilarating is a word that does not do the band justice.

RON B

Blanke, Mystery

JOHNERLE

Charles Bradley, The World Is Going Up in Flames

Recorded back in 2014 but unreleased until 2021, the Daptone Super Soul Revue is a live album recorded at the Apollo celebrating artists from the Daptone label, several of whom have already passed away. This track from the late Charles Bradley is the highlight, and seems more poignant than ever in 2021. (I couldn't find the Apollo performance on YouTube, but this live version is close enough.)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

For whatever reason, when I looked again today I was able to find the version that came out in 2021. This is an even smoother and tighter performance, IMHO. I would imagine that playing Soul music at the Apollo is more inspiring than playing it in front of a bunch of hipsters in Seattle.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Leestu (L'objectif) - This was their debut single? Wow. I'm duly impressed.

Tranny (TtC f. LW) - Not for me.

Six (SS & AdA) - There can't be many songs ever written that feature the word "autogynophilia". This song was just too weird a premise for me to get my head around. Kudos to him for taking it on, though.

Surfer (Spread Joy) - 54 seconds? Does that even qualify as a song? I'll call that a song-ella. It was good, but damn, too short.

Ron B (Blanke) - It boggles my mind that your tastes seem to be closer to mine than anyone else's here, any yet you've given most of my songs awful-to-middling ratings. Granted, it's still early, but (sigh). I liked this. Since you gave no descriptions, I thought Blanke was the singer. It's actually the DJ. Couldn't find the singer's name. The sound reminds me of Pendulum, who I also like.

JohnErle (Gnarls Bradley) - Damn good. That's some OLD SCHOOL R&B right there.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

A fine round overall

Shryke: Nice neo-psyche pop with that warped retro sound. Video also added to the fun.

Leetsu: I would say, scratching my beard and straightening my anorak, that this is fairly standard post-punk, but given this is their debut song it actually points to something very promising. A bit of early Iceage in there. Oh, and they're from Leeds which seems to be having a bit of a musical moment, as you'll see from one of my upcoming songs.

Tranny: Not a huge hip-hop fan but gave this record a go and it's pretty good. Love the old-skool vibes on this one.

Surf: Love every minute of this. Great energy. I notice that one of the members of Negative Scanners, a very good band, is involved. Will be checking out more of these.

Ron B: Would work well as the opening track to a dystopian YA sci-fi.

John: Gorgeous instrumentation, and incredible vocals. A lovely listen.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shryke (Joe Satriani): the guitar playing itself and the melody is fine, it's the sound and vibe here that doesn't do much for me

Tranny (The Weeknd): not much of a fan of The Weeknd but they always have one or two really good songs I like on each album. This isn't one from Dawn FM. It works as the lead single, doing his modern MJ dance-pop that people will love, but not me. I listened to the album last weeknd and I think it's one of the least interesting songs there. A bit of a let down after a pretty good start to the album.

Six (Self Esteem): yeah I've seen this in quite a few end of year lists but this is the first thing of theirs I've heard. Not bad for pop. Has a good percussive beat and some not as common in pop musical choices. Might look into more, might not.

Surfer (Buck Meek): I've thought about checking this album out but haven't. This gives me a bit more impetus. I liked the ramshackle americana here quite a lot actually...worked for me

Ron (Choomba): this song gets under my skin, I can't help bopping along but it annoys me...I do really like the fun reworking of Men At Work's Down Under that Luude (one half of Choomba - the Perth half) did recently though.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shryke (Gary Numan): I liked the tinkly synth line matching the vocal lines in the verses. That worked well. I listened to the album the other day. Not bad. Not top 100 worthy, but not bad. Chosen was my favourite musically, and there was one about three or four tracks in that I really liked the lyrics for, but I was driving and didn't catch the title.

Tranny (Halsey): Halsey is usually interesting even if her songs are never favourites of mine...this builds nicely but the payout I was expecting and hoping for never comes (just after one of the "nobody hears me scream" lyrics would have been great) and it just fizzles out instead...I've come around on I Am Not A Woman, I'm A God though after seeing her perform it on SNL

Six (Iceage): great song, a real grower that became one of my favourites from the album

Surfer (Pozi): interesting enough but in a detached way, I feel no connection to this

Ron B (Rufus Du Sol): not as good as their best songs, but their best song from this year (although my wife disagrees with me - she likes Next To Me better - we just had this conversation on the weekend)...this is going to be top 10 in the hottest 100 I reckon, I'm tipping it will come in at #9

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #19

Shrykespeare

Morrissey, Once I Saw the River Clean

I walked with my grandmother
Cornbrook Street, where incomplete
She would never be again
A Dublin dancer, free and young

The second of my two songs by the former Smiths frontman. This one has a little more musically going on than “Knockabout World”, though the video…well, it’s a lyric video obviously made by a fan who loves stock footage of raccoons in their natural habitat. The song itself is revelatory in nature, when Morrissey opines about taking his grandmother to the off-license to buy some smokes. Which…okay. Morrissey could sing the tax code and make it sound like poetry.

Leestu

Wet Leg, Chaise Longue

Well didn’t Wet Leg just blow up on the strength of this debut song. Charming, flirty, funny, and one of the catchiest songs of the year. Then they backed it up with a just as good second song. For this top 30 I decided to go with one song per artist, but If I hadn’t that second song, Wet Dream, would also have been in top 30. Their debut album is coming soon and is one of my most anticipated releases for this year. I might get to see them live if they end up supporting IDLES on their Australian tour as they are elsewhere on that tour.

Tranny

Converge and Chelsea Wolfe, Lord of Liars

Converge's mathy guitars and raw, throaty vocals seamlessly meld with the majestic gothic atmospherics of Chelsea Wolfe on this beast of a cut from their excellent collaborative album Bloodmoon: I.

Six

Yard Act, Dark Days

There’s a lot of excitement about these lads from Leeds. I’ve been a fan for about a year, when they had but 4 songs to their name. Now they’ve six, although with an album coming out this month. "Dark Days" is a more straight-forward song, still utilising the singer’s literary style, but with a catch bassline and singalong chorus that fits in with great rock and roll songs like "White Light" by the Velvets.

Surfer

Dry Cleaning, Unsmart Lady

Florence Shaw and her band have quickly become hyped up as one of the next big post-punk act thanks to a slew of great singles and a near perfect debut record in New Long Leg. Witnessing the band live (as I did last summer) fully captured the magic, as the band thrashed around her with the pulsing intensity of Sonic Youth and Gang Of Four, Shaw, almost like Sue Thompkins two decades earlier, captivated with her whip-smart, poetic wordplay. Unsmart Lady, in which Shaw reclaims misogynistic, insulting, remarks against women into something powerful evokes the true essence of the band, as the dichotomy of the grinding guitars combine with Shaw's vocals to magical effect.

RON B

Ladyhawke, Think About You

JOHNERLE

Laurel Premo, Jericho

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Another excellent round for all.

Shryke: Liked this one a lot more. It's hard because The Smiths had such great instrumentation so anything Morrissey does will never live up to it. But the synths were nice and the lyrics were lovely, though perhaps just because of the Dublin reference.

Leetsu: For sure in terms of their popularity! I have to say I wans't a fan upon first listen but after a second and third this really grew on me. The lyrics are filthy as hell! Looking forward to their album this year.

Tranny: My wife was listening a lot to this. I'm a big fan of Wolfe (who I've hung out with a little) and a little fan of Converge, and this song leans on the latter a tad too much, but it's still good stuff.

Surf: Ah, good to see more Dry Cleaning. Very jealous you've seen them live. I've yet to catch them but really want to on your recommendation! This is a great song and love the guitar riff.

Ron B: This was catchy, and the best song of your list so far. Quite a lot of NZ love so far.

John: 2 for 2 for you. Another great song. The instrumentation is beautiful. I could listen to it for another 20 mins. Lovely.