Top 50 Songs of 2020 (10-2)

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Re: Top 50 Songs of 2020 (10-2)

Post by Leestu »

Underwhelming round for a top 10 round

Surfer: Metz, The Mirror - really good album that made my top 100, great noisy sound, the opener Pulse is my favourite track from the album

Shryke: The Birthday Massacre, Crush - pretty good, creates a cool atmosphere

Six: Street Pulse Beat, Special Interest - it didn't blow me way but it was a cool sound, I think I would have liked to build more and sort of explode at the end

John: Sparks, Please Don't Fuck Up My World - not bad

Transformers: Deftones, Radiant City - decent song

Screen: Garbage, Blackout - it's fine...dragged on a bit though, didn't need to be that long

Ron: Hands Like Houses, The Water - background alt pop rock I wouldn't turn off, but not very exciting at all

UDM: Sam Smith, To Die For - not my thing but it's alright for what it is

Banks: Lin Manuel-Miranda & Leslie Odom, Dear Theodosia - probably fine in the context of the production, one it's own it's very nothing that sounds like an intro verse or two that's building up to something

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Ron: Juice WRLD, Righteous - great song...would have liked to see someone choose Wishing Well as well, I know I'm in the minority but I prefer it over Righteous, it has some really great lyrics

Surfer: Vintage Crop, The North - I had never heard of this band until you posted their album on facebook...I checked the album out and really enjoyed it, reminded me a lot of Eddy Current Suppression Ring who I love...at first I was like what are they on about? It's hot in the north here in Australia, but I found out later apparently they have been based in the UK for a while?...cool song and one of the many highlights of the album (#51 in my top 100 albums for the year), great find, thanks Surfer!!!

Transformers - Kvelertak, Discord - this was pretty great, love the vocals...I have heard one of their albums before (Nattesferd) and didn't really like it but that was over four years ago and I have more of an appreciation for some metal now so I'm adding the album to my to listen to list

Six - US Girls, 4 American Dollars - it's got a '70s AM radio feel to it for sure, not really my thing but they do it well

John: Sparks, One For The Ages - I didn't dislike it but it didn't do much for me either

Shryke: The Violent, Fly on the Wall - I have mixed emotions here, that's a great intro, the first verse was decent, but that chorus is so bland, then the bridge(?) gets interesting again, and then the song finishes with a powerless Foo Fighters lite finale...overall I would say this song had unfulfilled potential but played it ultra safe instead

Banks: Future & Drake, Life Is Good - not sure how I haven't heard this before, not that I like either of them, but they both seem a bit inescapable in my music world (radio, kids, spotify playlists etc)...this was a good opportunity to compare and determine who I like least. It was a close call but I think Drake won (lost?)...boring song

UDM: Selena Gomez, Lose You to Love Me - yawn...have we had this before because this sounded familiar and I don't know where else I would have heard this?

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Vintage Crop – I'm confused. Wouldn't North Australia be warmer than South Australia, or is this a song about being on tour somewhere cold? I'm also confused because your pick was my clear favourite this round. ;) ADDED

Righteous – The first time I heard it I thought some of the lyrics were cringe-worthy, but compared to a lot of the other stuff I've heard this countdown it doesn't seem so bad now. I probably won't seek it out, but it's pretty solid for someone so young.

U.S. Girls – The production is so terrible the studio rental probably cost 4 American dollars. It's a shame, because there's a good tune under there somewhere. It's also two minutes too long. I guess the $4 studio didn't come with a fade button.

Noah Dillon – I'm not sure what to make of this. There's a nice bit of Sufjan in the music, but the lyrics come off as too self-absorbed, which seems to be a common problem for me with most young songwriters today.

Life Is Good – I liked the beats in both sections, but for a song with that title I didn't expect so much complaining.

Fly On The Wall – I would have preferred to hear XTC's Fly On The Wall, or AC/DC's Fly On The Wall, or an actual fly on an actual wall.

Discord or Datcord? - It was very metal, with all that entails.

Selena Gomez – A mega-rich, millennial superstar whining about relationship problems gets a hard pass from me.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Leestu wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 1:43 am
Transformers - Kvelertak, Discord - this was pretty great, love the vocals...I have heard one of their albums before (Nattesferd) and didn't really like it but that was over four years ago and I have more of an appreciation for some metal now so I'm adding the album to my to listen to list
They switched vocalists prior to this record and Nattesferd is the consensus pick for their weakest effort (I agree with that take), so that may be the explanation of your increased enjoyment of this. If you do end up enjoying Splid, I can't recommended their self-titled debut enough. While it's a bit heavier than Splid, it has a similar punk energy and riff-driven approach to songwriting.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Banks: Sincerely forgot this came out in 2020. Fans of both artists, but outside of the beat switch, there's nothing particularly exciting about this.

John: Maybe the Edgar Wright documentary will make me appreciate these guys more?

Leestu: The emotion is sincere and prominent, it just wasn't for me.

Ron: 2 crossovers in 3 days? What the hell is going on?!?!?! As I stated in my write-up, I feel this is the best example of Juice's gift for writing memorable melodies and bearing his soul. It's a tragedy that we'll never get to see what kind of artist he blossomed into after such a promising start to his career.

Shryke: It's fitting that they largely hid their faces because this is some of the most anonymous hard rock I've ever heard.

Six: Respectable enough until the dragged out outro, but ultimately too deep on the baroque/indie spectrum for me to enjoy.

Surfer: Chalk this up as another instance of me liking the instrumentation, but hating the vocals in one of your picks.

UDM: Still not a fan of this.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 10

Banks, Ellie Goulding - I do know this song, its a little repetitive and the beat is nothing remarkable so unfortunately I kind of forget I know it until it is on again.

JohnErle, Sparks - I usually dismiss Sparks due to their over theatrical element. This harnessed that a little an became much more interesting as a result. The idea behind the lyrics is a clever one too, so made this a pleasant listen.

Leestu, Cable Ties - I listened to this record a little at the beginning of last year, and while it has clear stand outs such as this, unfortunately I don't think they have been able to shake off the Amyl and The Sniffers similarities to really forge their own sound yet. Still, this song rocks.

Ron, Kid Cudi - Passable rap, but unlikely to make me want to hear more.

Screen, Meg Myers - Possibly my favourite of her songs so far, holds back when it wanted to and unleashed by its climax, not bad.

Shryke, Cannons - Perfectly fine summer chill song that I can imagine would go down great on a beach. Not entirely for me, but it was pleasant enough, and good enough/ not so great for me not to need to seek out the Harry Styles version.

Six, Run The Jewels - I keep getting hammered by this band during the countdown that even if i didn't like what I heard I would probably have to dive in. Luckily I have really enjoyed their stuff so I will be heading to it after the countdown is over.

Transformers, Machine Gun Kelly - I think he has been featured a few times during the countdown already but couldn't for the life of me remember a song. This has very much an early 2000s pop punk sound which I was never a fan of with vocals I can't abide, and so I suspect that I will have forgotten it pretty soon.

Undeadmonkey, Blue October

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 9

Banks, Hamilton - It's never a good sign when a song reminds me of Jack Johnson's Curious George soundtrack, this was pretty uninspiring for a musical with so much acclaim.

JohnErle, Sparks - When you take the fun out of Sparks I don't really see the point. Way too serious and the added chorus singers just tipped me over the edge.

Leestu, IDLES - No doubting the killer chorus, but otherwise listening to anything from their new album just leaves me yearing for their first two records.

Ron, Hands Likw Houses - Not enough rock and too much pop for my own liking. Nothing offensive, but maybe that's the issue.

Screen, Garbage - I quite enjoyed their comeback record a couple of years ago, but really this is not a patch on their first two albums. Production is top notch and Manson still sounds great, bit if this is your entry point in the band you really need to be seeking out their s/t debut and version 2.0.

Shryke, The Birthday Massacre - Very soft goth pop which is fine in itself, just not for me. The Rasmus would be proud.

Six, Special Interest - New to me, but I will be checking out their album. Loved the pulsating, sweaty beat.

Transformers, Deftones - Definitely my favourite Deftones track I have heard so far, may have to give the record another spin as this was heavy, but not crushingly so and that made it quite interesting.

Undeadmonkey, Sam Smith - That bass was so distracting, and his vocals kind of grate on me, so unfortunately I'm going with the crowd in their dislike of this.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Added Screen's #8.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Banks: Wish they did something more interesting with the music, as it almost worked for me.

John: Yesterday's Sparks song was okay, but this is great. Nice bassline. Can't believe they're in their 70s, as they sound like they've the energy of a fledgling band.

Shryke: Liked the first 30 seconds but then it turned into nu-metal and I tuned out.

Surf: Really nice. Got a post-punk but also Britpop vibe. Very catchy.

The others did not woo me.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #7

BANKS

Selena Gomez, Rare

My favorite from the album of the same name.

JOHNERLE

Sparks, Left Out In The Cold

“Some day I'll be warm again, some day back in form again, some day I'll be hot again, have another shot again”

This is quite possibly the only song in history to mention Winnipeg. Ted Cruz would be wise to not use this song in his re-election campaign.

LEESTU

Matt Berninger, Holes

A beautiful intimate cover of one of my favourite Mercury Rev songs by the lead singer of The National.

RON B

Tame Impala, Lost in Yesterday

SCREEN

Iceage, Catch It

SHRYKE

Erasure, Nerves of Steel

You're the object who owns my affection
Nerves of steel turn in my direction
My desire and my intention, yeah
You're the deal, world without limits
Ours to steal and everybody in it
Come and find me in the motor hotel, yeah

Has there ever been a video entirely lip-synched by drag queens? I’m doubting not. Andy Bell’s voice is still as resonant as it was in the 80s, and Vince Clarke’s musicality is as fine-tuned as it was when he cofounded Depeche Mode back in the Stone Age. Erasure have never been lyrically or musically complicated – but they don’t need to be. This formula has worked for them for nigh on four decades, and there’s no need to muck with it now. Catchy, breezy, fun Britpop is what they are, always have been, and always will be.

Album: The Neon
Other great tracks: Careful What I Try to Do (my #23), Diamond Lies, New Horizons

SIX

IDLES, Reigns

Yes, more IDLES! While I mentioned before I have reservations about some of their songs, others, like this, are just incredible. Here, the band embrace their more chaotic side, introducing a wailing sax that punctures the song and overwhelms it, reminding me of some of The Stooges’ best work. With the exception of the superb drumming, the rest of the band, including the lyrics of frontman Joe Talbot, take a step back and it works wonders.

SURFER

Brigid Dawson And The Mother's Network, Ballet Of Apes

After leaving Thee Oh Sees and branching out on something new, Brigid Dawson returned with a timeless classic of psychedelia with this debut record. I was always enamored by her vocals on Dwyer's albums, but they truly come to the fore here in this spellbound song. Oscillating between something quite ethereal and what almost resemble primal yelps, it really is a record to get lost in, and the assitance of Sunwatchers certainly helps as she embraces the jazz influences of her youth and incorporates it all into something quite magical.

TRANSFORMERS

Run the Jewels feat. 2 Chainz, Out of Sight

I'm probably one of the few a-holes that thinks this is the best track on RTJ4, but I just love the fact that it helps break up the heavy themes that dominated this record with 3 minutes of pure goofy, hyperenergetic hip hop fun.

UNDEADMONKEY

Rufus Du Sol, Treat You Better

Another feel good song.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Banks - Future/Drake - I just can't get into most rap and hip-hop these days. Maybe I'm just too old, or too white, to be able to relate to it.

JohnErle - HeartSparks $ - As a novelist, this one hit pretty close to home. Thanks for the "There but for the grace of God go I" moment.

Leestu - Marshall Dillon feat. Brimfull of Asha - Groovy, man.

Ron B - Don't Be a Menace to RS While Drinking your Juice in the WRLD - Mild thumbs up on the song. Liked the video.

Screen - Maggie Rogers - Don't know the artist, but I like her voice.

Six - Just Us Girls - Good song. Adorable thumbnail on the video.

Surfer - Vintage Crap... er, Crop - Sounds like an Aussie version of Cake. I like.

Tranny - Vert de Ferk - Sounds like a Norwegian Foo Fighters. I like.

UDM - The Other Selena - It was ok.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

John: More catchy than any of the pop songs in this round. Keep the Sparks songs coming!

Leetsu: Just like anything The National has touched in the last 10 years, this was pretty dull and sounded like something anyone else can do. Give me the original any day.

Ron B: While I think they've become more derivative as time has passed, they're still fine to listen to.

Screen: A fantastic song from 2019, one that squeezed into my 100 of the millennium.

Shryke: Didn't stand up against their best work, although I really enjoyed the outro.

Surf: Wow, this was surprising. I had wondered what happened to her, since she's in some of my favourite Thee Oh Sees songs. And while the other related band you posted sounded too much like an inferior version of Dwyer's work, this was completely different. Loved the jazz double bass that gives a comforting atmosphere until her helps pierce through it. Excellent stuff

Tranny: Definitely an odd one as a favourite, but it's undeniably fun.

Banks and UDM: Nope!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

This was probably the best round yet, with nothing I outright hated, and quite a few songs I really liked. Keep it up!

Selena Gomez – The beat is undeniably catchy, so whoever she bought it from earned their paycheque, but I still can't get past the poor little rich girl lyrics.

Matt Beringer – That had a nice Americana vibe I wasn't expecting, and if you hadn't told me it was the guy from The National I wouldn't have recognized him. The ultra-deep voice of the past always felt like a bit of an affectation, so this was an interesting change. And I don't recall the original, which always helps with a cover. ADDED

Tame Impala – Same ol' same ol' from these guys. Pleasant, but poorly produced, as always.

Iceage – It's too old to qualify, but I'll give you a pass because it's pretty decent and a far cry from your usual picks.

Erasure – For me, Vince Clarke's peak was in Yaz. Erasure usually sounds too simple, and this sounds like they're phoning it in.

IDLES – Much more interesting musically than lyrically. If I had any desire for angry young men in my life, I'd probably reach for IDLES.

Ballet Of Apes – I could have done without the yelps, but apart from that this was pretty great. Have you ever listened to Morphine? ADDED

RTJ (feat. Arthur “2 Shedz” Jackson) – That deep, pounding bass was cool, and Killer Mike is always interesting in his media appearances, so I'll overlook the fact that the only lyrics I could understand had something to do with uzis, lobster, and pussy. ADDED

Rufus Du Sol – Also not from 2020, but quite good. There's definite hints of LCD Soundsystem in those synths, but it's distinctive enough to stand on its own. ADDED.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Banks: Quite possibly the only decent-ish song from this dull record.

John: Enjoyed this a bit more than the previous Sparks songs, but they're still not really clicking for me.

Leestu: The National don't do it for me and neither did this cover.

Ron: Crossovers on back-to-back days!!! What an unusual, joyous phenomenon!!!!

Screen: Have to echo John's surprise over you picking this. Liked some of the other picks Iceage tracks that appeared on the Top 100 of the 2000's countdown last year, but this particular track is just a little bit slow, gloomy and repetitive to resonate with me-although I will say that the distorted guitar explosion around the 4-minute mark is cool as hell.

Shryke: Sorry pal, found this to be excruciatingly dull.

Six: While the hook has a nice burst of urgency behind it, the rest of it is merely decent. Definitely in my bottom third of tracks from Ultra Mono.

Surfer: Some interesting ideas present with all the subtle tempo changes and unconventional instrumentation, but it didn't amount to a satisfying, cohesive whole.

UDM: Not bad!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Banks - The Other Selena - Well, I finished yesterday with a Selena song, only fitting I start today with one. I preferred UDM's to this.

JohnErle - Sparks Plugs - This was actually damn cool. (And BTW, there are other songs that mention Winnipeg. https://www.lyrics.com/lyrics/Winnipeg TWO of them are by Neil Young. Interestingly, this list doesn't include Sparks...)

Leestu - The National guy - Nice, but unmemorable.

Ron B - Tampala - Great song. I've become a big fan of TI in the past year.

Screen - Iceage: Instrumental Drift - A DUDE? On a Screen pick? I'm so shocked I need to lie down... a little gloomy for me.

Six - The Eric Idles - Interesting video. As for the chaos... well, as someone once said, chaos is a ladder. I forget where I was going with this...

Surfer - Richid Dawson and MOMSPAN - Wow. This could have been played at Woodstock. All that was missing were the sitars.

Tranny - RT Jewels & Doz Cadenaz - Hmm. Not bad. Makes me want to throw my hands in the air (and shake 'em like I just don't care).

UDM - Roofies in the Sun - This was very nice. I liked it a lot.