Top 50 Songs of 2020 (20-11)

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Top 50 Songs of 2020 (20-11)

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #20

BANKS

DaBaby, Gucci Peacoat

Heavy N-word warning here, like a lot. DaBaby’s older brother committed suicide in November - on Election Day actually - and this encompasses the entirety of both his anger and guilt towards that life-changing event for Baby. Knowing that he was out campaigning for inner-city voting that morning when he could’ve possibly been there to help his brother through that day, that guilt just bleeds all over this angry ode to his idol and big brother. It manifests itself into the brash, angry rap you hear here - that is also a statement on how emotions are processed, either by men or tough-guy rappers or by black men (DaBaby unfortunately hits the trifecta here).

(I actually don’t like the music video, as it's seemingly shot during his brother’s funeral, which seems...wrong. But it’s effective so I guess it accomplishes what he was after, I guess.)

JOHNERLE

Fleet Foxes, Jara

LEESTU

Jeff Rosenstock, N O D R E A M

The title track (sort of) from his latest album has not only some great lyrics “They were separating families carelessly, Under the guise of protecting you and me” and one-liners “Weaponizing what's left of your empathy” but also some great music. Starting off relatively calmly with some lo-fi power pop indie rock, as what Jeff is singing about starts to make us angry the music follows suit morphing angrily into a hardcore punk influenced skate punk song, ending with a scream of “fuck violence” before a brief calming musical outro.

RON B

Gorillaz feat. slowthai & Slaves, Momentary Bliss

SCREEN

Lana Del Rey, High By The Beach

SHRYKE

Dominic Fike, Vampire

I only showed up to tell you
Everyone at this party's a vampire
This ain't red wine

Probably the only artist on my list that identifies as a rapper. I’m not wild about most of Fike’s debut album, but this song just hit all the right marks for me. Undeniably catchy with some cool lyrics, the video includes some pretty interesting choreography.

Album: What Could Possibly Go Wrong
Other great tracks: Good Game

SIX

HEALTH, CYBERPUNK 2.0.2.0

HEALTH have disappointed me the last few years. Their first few records were examples of fascinating chaos, noise constructed in interesting and challenging way. This has given way to a sort of Skrillex-does-soft-metal sound, which doesn’t quite work. But every now and then they deliver a great track, like this song from their collaboration album. Here, they mix sci-fi with the goth rock of The Cure, delivering something beautifully and cinematically tragic.

SURFER

Green/Blue, With That Face

A couple of years ago Jim Blaha of the wonderful The Blind Shake started writing music that didn't really fit sonically with his band, so what do you do? Form a new band with members of The Soviettes of course! What resulted was this wonderful garage-psych juggernaut of a record, recalling many a Castle Face Records act alongside some early GBV and even a little JAMC! It makes for a hell of an enjoyable ride as you descend into this madness, and left me going back for more over and over!

TRANSFORMERS

Yves Tumor feat. Diana Gordon, Kerosene!

Yves Tumor and Diana Gordon bring a level of psychedelic soul crooning and hypersexualized energy to this duet about two lovers longing for each other that the world hasn't seen since Prince left this mortal coil.

UNDEADMONKEY

Uktarsh Ambudkar, Self Respect

Do not remember how I stumbled upon this song. Didn't know he was an actor either. However I really liked the song. While the video is a slow start, by the end I was blown away. Maybe it's because I'm in this stage of life and can relate. I just thought it was all amazing.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Top 50 Songs of 2020 (20-11)

Post by numbersix »

Banks: I appreciate the sentiment, even if the beats and music weren't much
JohnE: Not as pleasant as yesterday Fleet Foxes track
Leetsu: Starts off as fairly rote contemporary "punk" but I liked the hardcore bit.
Ron B: That's two very different collaborators. Not bad, though
Shryke: Fairly bland, I'm afraid
Surf: Yep, that guitar kept me listening. Good stuff
Tranny: Fantastic song that almost made my list. I chose another instead
UDM: compared to yesterday this was almost restrained.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Banks - DaBaby - Fucking tragic. Not a fan of the song, but my heart goes out to him.

JohnErle - FF Part Deux - Liked the last one better. (Interesting title - I had a tertiary character in my Wielders series named Jara...)

Leestu - Jeff Rosenrosen - Wow, these was all over the map. Lyrically powerful (esp. the second verse). Didn't like it after it degenerated into hardcore punk.

Ron B - Gorillaz - I'm a fan of most of Gorillaz' songs one one level or another. I've heard most of their 2020 album over the course of the last year - and there are videos for nearly all of it. Putting the cartooniness aside, this was just ok musically. There is one song from this album that appears high on my list (Leestu knows which one ;) ).

Six - HEALTH - You probably could have predicted this, but this is my favorite song you've had so far. Loved it. (P.S. Did not know they were the ones whose remix version of Blue Monday appeared in Atomic Blonde.)

Surfer - Green/Blue - Not bad. Mild thumbs-up.

Tranny - Yves Tumor & Diana Gordon - Pretty cool. Definitely get the Prince comparison.

UDM - Uktarsh Ambudkar - Not for me.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Catching up on Screen:

#22.

Meg Myers, Sorry

#21.

Tove Lo, sadder badder cooler

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Shrykespeare wrote:
February 15th, 2021, 7:12 pm

Six - HEALTH - You probably could have predicted this, but this is my favorite song you've had so far. Loved it. (P.S. Did not know they were the ones whose remix version of Blue Monday appeared in Atomic Blonde.)
I didn't know that it was HEALTH!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

I enjoyed this round of songs...thanks everyone!

Ron: Gorillaz feat. slowthai & Slaves, Momentary Bliss - great selection, already been on my list, the second crossover so far

Transformers: Yves Tumor feat. Diana Gordon, Kerosene! - unusual and different, seriously nearly made my top 100, one of my final cuts...both of his last two albums are in my top 100 for their respective years

Six: HEALTH, CYBERPUNK 2.0.2.0 - great song...I still love their recent albums, their balance of harsh industrial music and soft vocal beauty continues to work for me

Surfer: Green/Blue, With That Face - interesting and catchy, I liked it

Screen: Lana Del Rey, High By The Beach - this is where Lana started to get good, I still don't like her music earlier than this but this is good and a handful of songs on NFR! are even better

Shryke: Dominic Fike, Vampire - I feel Dominic Fike has potential but that he hasn't reached yet, this is decent enough indie pop that's catchy enough for me to sing along but not exciting enough to love, I do like the guitar tone though...you know your song on FB today is by Clairo, and Dominic Fike has covered Clairo's best song! Coincidence? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4D4vd6QYQA

UDM: Uktarsh Ambudkar, Self Respect - this was fine....nice song

Banks: DaBaby, Gucci Peacoat - ouch that hurt! Gotta respect the power of music and words that does that!

John: Fleet Foxes, Jara - this one didn't do much for me

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Banks: Very impressive introspective track. Never heard DaBaby display this kind of raw emotion and vulnerability before.

John: PLEASE DON'T LET THE FLEET FOXES RELEASE ANYTHING THIS YEAR.

Leestu: Definitely my favorite track from No Dream. The gradual transition from lo-fi indie to straight hardcore punk is very well done.

Ron: Liked this a little bit more upon second listen. There's a nice little aggressive edge to this that elevates it above most Gorillaz songs.

Screen: In the bottom tier of Lana's songs, but still pleasant enough. It's always nice to see her churn out something that isn't completely gloomy.

Shryke: Basically second Leestu's take. Fike is a super raw young artist with a lot of unrealized potential and while nothing overly special, this track does a pretty decent job of showing that off.

Six: Agreeable enough ambient electrorock and since Shryke mentioned it, I was able to recall that they were responsible for the Blue Monday cover in Atomic Blonde once the vocals kicked in.

Surfer: This was fine. Reminded me of old Interpol with less monotone vocals.

UDM: The guy from Game Over, Man! and Brittany Runs a Marathon makes music too?! Didn't really move the needle for me either way, but cool to discover that he's a multi-faceted artist.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Screen:

22. Meg Myers - Quite enjoyed this one!

21. Tove Lo - Just okay for me. Enjoyed the video, though.

20, Lana Del Rey - Not bad at all.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #19

BANKS

BROCKHAMPTON feat Dua Lipa, Sugar Remix

The original song is pretty great by itself; the rap/sing collective that is BROCKHAMPTON really hit strong notes with this R&B smash. But adding in Dua Lipa and playing with the arrangement for a new version early last year really put it over the top for me and it made its way into my playlist quickly.

JOHNERLE

Ray LaMontagne, Strong Enough

After several albums full of psychedelica, Ray LaMontagne returns to his earlier, largely acoustic, folk-influenced sound, yet I liked this album a lot more than his early efforts.

LEESTU

IDLES, Grounds

Ultra Mono was my favourite and most listened to album of 2020 so of course it is going to feature a few times on my list. Simply put, my favourite songs often have both interesting music and lyrics that are meaningful or relatable. ”So I raise my pink fist and say black is beautiful”

RON B

G Flip, Hyperfine

SCREEN

Lady Gaga feat. Ariana Grande, Rain On Me

SHRYKE

Live Lounge All-Stars, Times Like These

I, I'm a one way motorway
I'm the one that drives away
Then follows you back home
I, I'm a street light shining
I'm a wild light blinding bright
Burning off and on

You all know the song. This is a quarantine cover of the 2002 hit by Foo Fighters, and odds are, if you’re into modern music, you’ll recognize at least a few of the many faces involved in the creation of this project. I was happy to see Hailee Steinfeld, Dua Lipa, Ellie Goulding, Biffy Clyro, Sean Paul, and even Chris Martin (at the very end). Even the presence of Yungblud wasn’t unwelcome. Then, of course, there was Dave Grohl himself, who looks like the world’s proudest papa. This is one of the first quarantine-themed projects I saw this year. I’ve not gone a week since without playing it at least once.

SIX

Thurston Moore, They Believe in Love (When They Look At Me)

The year ain’t right unless Thurston puts out something. You’d think he’d take a break after his triple album of 2019, but nope, he came back with an excellent double-album, evoking some of his best work with Sonic Youth. Honoring the work of his late mentor, the great Glenn Branca, the song shifts and twists, its harshness and military beats balanced with Moore’s ecstatic lyrics about a person who inspires if not embodies love.

SURFER

Flat Worms, The Aughts

I mentioned it earlier in the countdown when Leestu also had it on his list, but Flat Worms are one of the best of the LA Garage Rock scene right now, and after their impressive s/t from a couple of years back and the immaculate climax of Red Hot Sand, it was great to hear the band follow up with such a sophomore effort. Drafted from the debris of fellow Castle Face acts OSees, Ty Segall Band and Dream Boys, The Aughts finds the band laying each apathetically recounted decade to landfill as the hurtle forward at breakneck speed. Razor sharp guitars and chugging basslines make for an exhaustive and exhilarating listen.

TRANSFORMERS

Dua Lipa, Levitating

2020 marked Dua Lipa's arrival as new pop royalty and bouncy old school disco meets modern pop anthems with earworm hooks, infectious energy and absurd production like "Levitating" are precisely why that distinguished declaration has been made with such confidence.

UNDEADMONKEY

Skrillex & Poo Bear, Would You Ever

Always been a big fan of Skrillex, surprised i didn't discover this gem earlier.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Banks: I disagree that this improves upon the original. In fact, I think Dua Lipa's feature and the slight reworking of the instrumental ruins the perfect flow of the original version. Still a good song with a potent emotional sting though.

John: A perfectly functional piece of vintage folk music.

Leestu: Another one of the clear highlights from Ultra Mono. Great choice.

Ron: One of the top discoveries of the countdown thus far. Very much in my catchy, slightly sad pop wheelhouse.

Screen: Ariana saves this from being another victim of Gaga's increasingly tiresome overdone theatrics.

Shryke: Feel the same way about it now as I did when you sent it to me over the summer. It's a pleasant, well-constructed cover that sounds stunningly tight for something that was recorded over Zoom by a zillion different artists.

Six: Basically ditto what I said about Surfer's pick a few days back: a pretty decent overall track with moments of greatness that fails to reach its full potential due to the repetition that's brought on by its overlong runtime.

Surfer: Guitars were cool, vocals were relatively annoying.

UDM: Better than most of Skrillex's dubstep shit, but it's still nothing I'd ever voluntarily listen to again.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I just realized that Dua Lipa appeared in three of today's songs. That's gotta be a record.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

You know something is wrong when Dua Lipa (well, one of her tracks) is the best on offer. And yes, Trampoline is better without the rap section in it.

Even the reliable Surf delivered a ho-hum song from those associated with much more talented, exciting names like Dwyer and Segall.

And as much as I love IDLES, Grounds is one of those tracks whose music I like but the lyrics are cringe-worthy - "Fee fee fi fi fo fo fum" is just lazy, as is the first verse about not "staring at the sun". Apparently Talbot didn't write much of the lyrics before recording and it really goes to show that preparation does help. There are better songs on the album where the lyrics are slightly better. More on this shortly.

The rest is mostly inoffensive except for that Foo Fighters cover. Sorry, Shryke, but I found it hideous. Like most celeb karaoke covers the various vocal styles don't mix, and that rap bit is so jarring I had to stop. The whole thing reminded me of that awful celeb cover of Lou Reed's Perfect Day. Just listen to the original!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

A disappointing round today :(

Surfer: Flat Worms, The Aughts - excellent song

Six: Thurston Moore, They Believe in Love (When They Look At Me) - it's a good active listening song to pay attention to all the different pieces and things going on, but not one of the songs from the album that I would listen to on its own removed from the album

John: Ray LaMontagne, Strong Enough - enjoyed the '70s vibe here

Shryke: Live Lounge All-Stars, Times Like These - this is the first one of these I've bothered to listen to...I appreciate the sentiment but I doubt I'll listen again...probably didn't help that I don't really listen to any of these artists apart from Yungblud to recognise their individual voices

Banks: BROCKHAMPTON feat Dua Lipa, Sugar Remix - I prefer the original, and even then I'm not really that into it compared to their more fun, catchy rap material

Ron: G Flip, Hyperfine - I don't know, there is something about this song that annoys me, but I am mostly on my own there, had a few discussions with my family and friends about this song throughout the year and apparently I'm wrong and it's a great song :lol:

UDM: Skrillex & Poo Bear, Would You Ever - feels a bit tame and not as experimentally exciting for a Skrillex song, and the vocals were annoying...the skater was cool to watch though

Transformers: Dua Lipa, Levitating - too much Dua Lipa for me today

Screen: Lady Gaga feat. Ariana Grande, Rain On Me - it's fine for dance-pop, but personally I try to avoid it

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Banks - Brockhampton & Dua Lipa - Not bad.

JohnErle - Ray LaMontagne - got a definite CCR vibe from this. Like he was channeling John Fogarty himself.

Leestu - IDLES - I both hated and loved this. Weird.

Ron B - G Flip - I really like this!

Screen - Lady G & Selena G - Didn't like this at all.

Six - Thurston Howell III - Did nothing for me.

Surfer - Platyhelminths - That was... interesting.

Tranny - Dua Lipa - So much Dua Lipa today! It was good (clap clap)

UDM - Skrillex & Poo Bear - Liked the skating, not so much the singing.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Bumped to next page.