Top 50 Songs of 2020 (30-21)

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Top 50 Songs of 2020 (30-21)

Post by numbersix »

John: This one wasn't bad. Had a sort of crunch to it.
UDM: While this sort of music is not for me, there was a touch of rawness in the vocals that piqued my interest
Surf: Nice rhythm to it and the funky shift was a nice surprise.
Tranny: The music production wasn't bad on this.
UDM: Hate the movie, the performance, and the song. Not my kind of thing.

Others didn't grab me.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #28

BANKS

H.E.R., Damage

H.E.R. is an R&B singer/songwriter who makes music that I can truly feel; this one is incredible to vibe to any late night of the week. She’s an ace on the guitar and piano, and her music usually rides the line between modern R&B and old-school soul. I first heard this when she was the musical guest on SNL in the fall and it’s stuck around ever since.

JOHNERLE

My Morning Jacket, Welcome Home

LEESTU

Waax, Pool Party

Julia Jacklin has been getting a lot of acclaim lately, and deservedly so. This is one of her older songs, and it is a great song, but here it is covered by one of my favourite Aussie punk bands. They totally change it up to where it is barely recognisable, from a country-tinged songwriter song to a belted out punk tune.

RON B

Yungblud, Cotton Candy

SCREEN

Meg Myers, Curbstomp

SHRYKE

Sylvan Esso, Ferris Wheel

When I'm slamming in my dancing shoes
Asphalt's hot and my knees all bruised
It's the summer got a lot to prove
Can't wait to do it can you? (No!)

A lot of indie pop groups caught my eye (ear?) in 2020. One of those was Sylvan Esso, an indie-pop due from North Carolina whose third album, Free Love, dropped last October. The quirky voice of Amelia Meath layers nicely over the jumpy beat. It’s the part when the chorus ends and the synths kick in that I enjoy the song the most.

Album: Free Love
Other great tracks: Numb, Frequency, Runaway

SIX

Working Men’s Club, John Cooper Clarke

Another new act, this time one who released their debut album last year (and I managed to catch live last March, just before the lockdown). While they wear their influences on their sleeves, at least they have pretty sleeves. This track is an ode to Manchester’s punk poet, and musically embodies all that was good about the 1980s Manchester/Hacienda Club sound.

SURFER

Sufjan Stevens, The Ascension

Sufjan returned following the triumph of Carrie and Lowell from a few years ago with a record that must have felt like a moments breath, allowing himself to finally sigh, deflate and reflect on the cathartic experience the aforementioned record must have had on his being. The Ascension found Stevens return to the electronic core previously explored on Age Of Adz, but form a clean break by reaching for things he had not attempted previously. It is the title track near the end of the album, however, that marries the C&L sound with the new direction he has taken, and it is quite breath-taking. Haunting and solemn, the clean, digital production provides a desolate landscape for Sufjan's vocals to soar, as he grapples with his Christian faith and leaves you exhausted through his struggles. It makes for an arresting song, but hopefully one that does not mean another 5 years between albums.

TRANSFORMERS

Ariana Grande, My Hair

On an album full of glossy excess, the stripped-down "My Hair" is an exceptional anomaly that shows off the stunning power of Grande's voice and just how well-suited it is for throwback soul/R&B/jazz numbers.

UNDEADMONKEY

Avril Lavigne, Head Above Water

Like i said with the previous avril song, i've never been a big fan, but i was just drawn to her music this year. Would i feel the same in a normal year, who knows.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Lots of ladies today!

Banks - H.E.R. - I really like good R&B. What I don't like is when it tries too hard to cross over into pop or hip-hop. This does neither. It's good.

JohnErle - MMJ Redux - This was nice. I like the light folky vibe.

Leestu - Waax - Thanks, buddy. Now I have Waax in my ears. (I'm sure that joke's NEVER been done before...) Not bad.

Ron B - Yungblud - Not a fan of his. His voice just grates on me. I like looking at him even less.

Screen - Meg Myers - Didn't move the needle for me.

Six - WMC - When this is over, Six, I have no doubt this will be one of my favorite of your offerings. It's like Big Audio Dynamite beats layered over Gary Numan synths. Loved it.

Surfer - Sufjan Stephens - Haven't yet gotten into Sufjan. This won't make me do that, but it was a pleasant six minutes.

Tranny - Ariana Venti - This was ok. I appreciate the stripped-down-ness of it, but otherwise didn't do anything for me.

UDM - Avril Lavigne - Meh.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Ron: this is how I like my catchy pop - with attitude and personality

Six: really well done take on that electronic dance early 80s scene...I got a New Order meet Cabaret Voltaire feel

Screen: this was good, I liked it

Shryke: interesting production, not bad

John: very mellow...not as good as the last two

Surfer: I've heard this a couple of times and gave it another chance, and there is a beauty here for sure but for me it's a dull beauty, I didn't like the album much but I didn't like Age Of Adz either

Banks: too smooth and sleepy for me

Tranny & UDM: nope and nope...I was glad to reach the end of both of these songs but it was hard work

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Not a huge amount affecting me either way this round

Ron B: Interesting guy and video. Wish the music was as distinct as him.
Shryke: This was surprisingly nice to listen to!
Surf: I think poor Sufjan got unfairly ignored with The Ascension, which was a pretty good album, taking elements of his last two records. Lovely song.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Sorry, playing catch up a little, will listen to the first 3 rounds of this thread today, playlists updated below for each round:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/14kmR ... =copy-link

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5J2cC ... =copy-link

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #27

BANKS

KOPPS, Virtual Reality

Full disclosure: I did go to middle school and high school with everyone in the band, so I may be biased - but they’re making great dance music and have been for a while. This is something to play loud and had clubs actually been open last year, I can’t believe it wouldn’t go over great. Plus Patricia can sing her ass off (even if she’s heavily modulated here).

JOHNERLE

My Morning Jacket, Magic Bullet

Love the groove on this one.

LEESTU

Hope D, Second

2020 was a decent year for female indie rock artists and this song from an up-and-coming new artist stands above most of them with its passionate vocals.

RON B

Genesis Owusu, I Am

SCREEN

Tove Lo, Mateo

SHRYKE

The Smashing Pumpkins, Cyr

Say, I done told you
Say how I tried, too
Where you've wrought from creation's crown
Say, dire warning
Stare down your masters
With the promise of one and what you are
We're on the verge

Three decades in, and the Pumpkins still find ways to dig into my brain. In “Cyr,” it’s like they pulled Depeche Mode’s synths from Music From the Masses through a time portal and texture Billy Corgan’s distinctive voice over it. Speaking of Depeche Mode, I can’t help but wonder if, now that they and The Cure have been enshrined in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which pure alternative band might be next in line… New Order, The Smiths, and the Pumpkins have to be at or near the top of THAT list.

Album: Cyr
Other great tracks: The Colour of Love, Anno Satana, Purple Blood

SIX

Nadine Shah, Club Cougar

It seems I have an interest in North English music, given my last few picks. Anyway, Nadine does what most singers are afraid to. Almost everyone tries to sing like they’re from the US, but Nadine doesn’t hide her Geordie mannerisms, and that makes her genuine and honest. This track is an amusing, slightly sleazy tune about a younger man trying badly to hit on Nadine. The moral of the story: never mess with Geordie lasses.

SURFER

Sweet Reaper, Car Crash

Riding on the surf of wave upon wave of delicious pop hooks enveloped in a garage punk aesthetic, Sweet Reaper have carved open the DIY Californian beach scene with this catchy little record that recalls Hex Dispensers, with a full on party atmosphere, but only if said party is situated at a beach. Or a cemetery. Take your pick, it will be awesome nevertheless.

TRANSFORMERS

21 Savage and Metro Boomin, Glock in My Lap

The long partnership between rapper 21 Savage and producer Metro Boomin continues to yield strong results. The rapper's deadpan intensity meshes so well with the ominous, vividly detailed-production the producer is known for- making them the modern day gangsta rap answer to N.W.A.-era Ice Cube and Dr. Dre.

UNDEADMONKEY

Ed Sheeran feat. Khalid, Beautiful people

Don't know if anyone remembers on my top 100 songs list, but i had an Ed Sheeran song 'give me love' on it, I don't remember where I placed it, but to this day it is still one of my favorite songs ever. back then he wasn't as mainstream as he is now but nevertheless I still love his artistry. have another song coming up later.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I should be saving my snark for the screenplay I'm working on, so I'll focus on the stuff I liked enough to add to my personal playlist.

John Carpenter's Christine and the Scream Queens – Pretty good groove on this one. ADDED

Fixer Upper – That seemed more interesting than most of the indie rock posted thus far. I don't know what Manchester punk poet you're referring to so maybe I'm just not as familiar with who these guys are copying. In 2020, that's what passes for sounding fresh. ** EDIT: I just realized your Manchester punk poet comment was about your next pick, not this one. Well, fuck it, the comment stays. That's what I get for falling so far behind.* * ADDED

And that's it for round 29, I'm afraid.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Banks: cool, you hung out with celebs. You should blackmail them by threatening to tell embarrassing stories of their youth unless they pay you off.
John: Yep, nice groove. Half of the MMJ songs you've posted a do little for me, but the other half are really cool.
Ron B: That was pleasantly funky
Shryke: Haven't heard a new Pumpkins song in about 20 years. This was very different, but a little underwhelming sadly.
Surf: Fun garage rock for sure. They ain't doing anything new, but my toes were tapping

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Six: great song...I've been really impressed with her last two albums...the title track is my favourite

John: I'm liking the variety of these MMJ songs

Shryke: I have been liking The Smashing Pumpkins new material but it does feel a bit uninspired, possibly a bit unfair comparing it to their prior greatness but it is what it is

Ron: funky but modern...I've heard this song a bit didn't realise until the video description and comments that Kirin J Callinan is part of his band...probably playing the cool guitar licks...How did that happen?

Surfer: I really like the garage punk sound, although the song is a little bit underwhelming but still enjoyable

Banks: liked the video, the song didn't do much for me

UDM: If I am pressed I actually admit I don't mind some Ed Sheeran, but nothing really from his collaborations album appealed much

Screen: possibly the best Tove Lo song of your selections so far but still not for me

Tranny: I don't find Metro Boomin's beats very exciting, and I find 21 Savage's rapping unpleasant

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Quickly commenting on last few rounds:

Banks: The little I habe heard of Childish Gambino has been decent if not spectacular. This was nice, liked the Prince vibes. Not so much a fan of Christine, while the other two just kind of passed me by.

John: My Morning Jacket are always a pleasure to listen to. And while this latest album doesn't come close to their finest hours (Z for me), it is still very nice.

Leestu: The Peter Bibby song was cool, rest didn't leave an impression and much prefer the Julia Jacklin original.

Screen: Tove Lo has a nice voice, been pleasant listening to their stuff.

Shryke: Airborne Toxic Event sound decent still, not enough to search out the record, but was cool. Not so much the 10 Years track. I've tried with SP v3, but nothing really sticks. Just not the music I want to hear from Billy anymore. Which is fine, I still have those first 4 records to listen to over and over.

Six: The Microphones song is lovely, so many layers and it oscillates between styles over its runtime quite wonderfully. Could never include it as a song, I have a few songs around the 10 minute mark and couldn't subject anyone to a full 40+ song. Still nice to hear again. Was very, very close to adding Fixer Upper, only discovered it towards the end of the year but it is fantastic. Haven't really gotten the hype for Working Men's Club, leans far too much on the Hacienda scene which for the most part is not for me, and can't stand White Rooms and People now due to overplay. Nadine Shah on the other hand is someone I need to invest further in, that was lovely.

Tranny: Run The Jewels was great, have to check the album out now.

UDM: Too many pop princesses that are not for me.

Nothing I actively hated though so that's pretty decent going for a few rounds.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

#27. Liked the KOPPS, MMJ, Hope D and Ed S songs. Not much else.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Round 28

Again, focusing on the positive to save time and spare hurt feelings.

Slyvan Esso – I don't quite know what to make of this, which is a good thing. Either it's something I haven't heard before, or it's doing something familiar with a fresh twist. Either way, it's worth hearing again. ADDED

Working Men's Club – I'm always suspicious of bands the UK press is raving about after a few singles and a handful of gigs, but even I have to admit this is pretty awesome. Very Madchester, yes, but infectious. ADDED. You're off to a good start in this countdown so I should check out that 44 minute song. (Ha! Fooled you! That'll never happen.)

Sufjan Stevens – That was lovely. He's still got it. ADDED

If round 28 was solid, round 27 was a total wash. Nothing for me in any of those songs.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Bumped to next page.