Top 50 Songs of 2020 (30-21)

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: Top 50 Songs of 2020 (30-21)

Post by undeadmonkey »

Leestu wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 1:02 am

UDM: Sam Wick, Сон - Sam Wick doesn't sound like a very Russian name, how did you even find this?
Russian coworker

Leestu wrote:
February 13th, 2021, 10:36 pm

UDM: Jonas Blue/Tracy Chapman, Fast Car - the original is a classic, this is a bit pointless apart from maybe introducing a classic to those who weren't around at the time ;)...here's a decent version from 2020 you might like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boj2b6F8P8A but again a little bit pointless
i liked this too. he has a great voice. very true, i was born few weeks after this was released.

JohnErle wrote:
February 14th, 2021, 1:43 pm
First broken headphones, then a broken phone, and now snow and freezing temperatures in Vancouver that keep me from using the normally abundant free wi-fi in my 'hood. Being an unemployed hermit has drawbacks at times. I'm bound to fall way behind, but like James Bond, the snark will return.

if it helps we have cold and snow down in west texas too. we are breaking record temps here.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Banks - Travis Scott & Kid Cudi - Not bad, but not something I'll return to. Production was cool.

JohnErle - Fleet Foxes - Are they coming to Scarborough Fair? ;) This was pretty good.

Leestu - Ball Park Music - Really liked this.

Ron B - Hilltop Hoods - This was... interesting. Not in a good way, not in a bad way.

Six - The Cool Greenhouse - I shouldn't like this... but, strangely, I do...

Surfer - Shell of a Shell - Not sure how I feel about this. It's like they're trying hard to be Radiohead and not quite getting there.

Tranny - RMR - Didn't hate it, but not my thing.

UDM - Jonas Blue - I've heard the original so many times in my life that this felt like a hollow copy. I appreciate them trying to cover a song in a unique way, but this just didn't work for me. It lacked the melancholy of the original in every way.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

SONG #21

BANKS

Alicia Keys feat Jill Scott, Jill Scott

Alicia Keys released an album in September that I devoured entirely in one sitting, it’s got a little bit of everything but her ode to - and with - the incredible Jill Scott is a standout. It’s my 2nd favorite song on the album (the first is coming up); it’s so sweet and natural, light and effortlessly beautiful. It doesn’t “go” anywhere, it just sits in its fully confident joy.

JOHNERLE

Fleet Foxes, Can I Believe You?

LEESTU

Soccer96 feat. Alabaster De Plume, I Was Gonna Fight Fascism

I do like a good socio-political satire, and when it is as musically entertaining as this, the replayability level is high. Soccer96 are two members of the highly regarded (and deservedly so) jazz fusion band The Comet Is Coming, whose 2019 album is worth listening to. Using those jazz sensibilities here they have crafted an electronic krautrock setting (with a driving rhythm line throughout reminiscent of one of my favourite songs of all time – Revolution by Spacemen 3) with occasional controlled freakouts to complement Alabaster De Plume (spoken-word artist, writer and saxophonist). …and as great as the lyrics are, if you take them away you are still left with a great song.

RON B

DMA’s, The Glow

SCREEN

SHRYKE

The Birthday Massacre, Flashback

As above
So below
As the universe
So the soul
Don't forget to surrender
Tomorrow will soon be yesterday
Learn the role by heart
Devils charm, and angels pray

The second of four TBM outings, off of their amazing album, Diamonds. I suspect if you love shoegaze and synthpop, you’ll like this, and if not… well, so be it. Chibi’s voice blends like honey dripping over the fast-paced synths on this track,

Album: Diamonds
Other great tracks: Hell, all of it.

SIX

Keeley Forsyth, Start Again

There’s a movie tie-in here. Forsyth was an actress, appearing in plenty of primetime British TV and soap operas, as well as appearances in films like Guardians of the Galaxy and The Limehouse Golem. After years of feeling disappointed, plus the pressures of being a single mother of two, she fell ill and even was unable to speak for a whole month. Out of this frustration came this record, her stark, spooky singing matched by minimal dark synths, not unlike Portishead in many ways. This song is both delicate and atmospheric, evoking images of rustling trees in the moonlight in a very cinematic way.

SURFER

Phoebe Bridgers, I Know The End

While it seems like the universe is clamouring all over Bridgers these days, for me it was the album closer that really saw Bridgers step up and evolve as an artist from the delicate, more intimate nature of her first record (which is quite delightful, I may add). I Know the End is the most bombastic moment on the album, though it doesn’t reveal itself to be until its latter stages. Slowly peeling away layer after layer, the song focuses on some haunting themes, coupled with some fantastic apocalyptic lyricism. There is an intensity to this song that is not present on the songs which came before it, and it marks an evolution of her sound which will be I will be interested to see where it goes next.

TRANSFORMERS

The Black Dahlia Murder, The Leather Apron's Scorn

Another group of tracks that ends on the harshest note possible! One of my long time favorite bands delivered another collection of eerie melodic death metal rippers in 2020 that hit the sweet spot they've long filled for me and this maniacal little ditty just happens to be the one that I'm most smitten with.

UNDEADMONKEY

Andrea Bocelli, Return to Love

To be honest, I was introduced to Bocelli through my wife, however now it's something we can both listen to without argument.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Banks: Wouldn't have known it was written and recorded in such a short period of time if you hadn't mentioned it. That being said, there was nothing particularly noteworthy about it.

John: Hooray, another wave of tracks from an act that puts me to bed!!!

Leestu: A lot going on here for sure. Some of it was very good, some of it was a little too out there for me.

Ron: Sounded like a C-grade Passion Pit. Hard pass.

Screen: Not going to lie, it kind of warms my heart that people are discovering this shit almost 15 years after it was released.

Shryke: Inoffensive, but completely forgettable vintage synthpop.

Six: Not in love with the vocals, but the foreboding atmosphere and slowly escalating intensity of the instrumentation made this work

Surfer: Different project, same results (sick, trippy instrumentation, grating vocals) for John Dwyer.

UDM: Didn't work for me at all.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Surfer: Phoebe Bridgers, I Know The End - great song that starts so calmly and peacefully but has my heart pounding and my emotions who knows where by the end...great way to finish a really good album...she deserves the acclaim she's starting to get

Six: Keeley Forsyth, Start Again - very interesting vocals, and very interesting production, both creating a dark and haunting, woozy atmosphere

Shryke: The Birthday Massacre, Flashback - I enjoyed this, it's not doing anything new but it does it well...a bit more power and rock than most of your synth pop selections

John: Fleet Foxes, Can I Believe You? - nice dynamics in this song...maybe I've misjudged the album from one listen

Transformers: that was crazily all over the place...not sure what to make of it to be honest but it sure was interesting

Ron: DMA’s, The Glow - I do like DMA's, seen them live a couple of times, but I find this song a bit of a disappointment in their catalogue to be honest, Criminals however is a great song from 2020 and one of their best for a while

UDM: Andrea Bocelli, Return to Love - too cultured for me to appreciate

Banks: Alicia Keys feat Jill Scott, Jill Scott - vocals are fine but this sort of music does nothing for me

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Banks: While I don't like her music that much, this was nice enough.
John. This was also nice? Oh no, have I gotten to that age where nothing excited me and my brain starts to shut down and all music is essentially just background niceness??
Leetsu: Shit, maybe I'm right. I also liked this. It was more than nice, though. Krautrocky, but with great lyrics. Probably my favourite of your last few tracks!
Ron: Didn't like.
Shryke: The gothy synth part was decent, although like the last track a little too glossy.
Surf: Everyone is raving about her. Nothing really stood out yet, and even this felt pretty plain until it kicks up a few notches and becomes interesting in a mid-noughts-Sufjan-Stevens kind of way. Good.
Tranny: Even if my brain is shutting down and my taste dulling, I know this kinda music isn't for me.
UDM: Ah, I've been cured! This song rescued me from aural apathy. It's literally the worst piece of music I've heard in years. Sentimental, sappy, saccharine, musically and lyrically lazy and boring. Thanks UDM, I feel alive in my revulsion! By the way, do you follow the Eurovision Song Contest? I know it doesn't really travel much beyond Europe (and Oz), but if you like Bocelli you'll probably get a kick out of the stuff there.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron B - DMAs - I think I remember loving a DMAs song from your Millennium list last year. This was very good.

Leestu - SoccerDads feat. Lovely Plumage - Didn't care for it. The vocalist's voice reminded me a little of Neil Tennant, but not enough for me to like it.

JohnErle - Vleet Voxes - I rather enjoyed this.

Banks - Ms. Keys feat. Girl Singing About Herself - Typical Keys. Melodic and sweet yet utterly unmemorable. Nice tune for a rainy day.

Six - Unmuted Actress - This was damn good! Definitely get the Portishead comparison.

Surfer - Phoebe - That was a trip. Interesting lyrics, cool horns. Loved the buildup.

Tranny - BDM - Sounded like Cookie Monster on meth.

UDM - Andrea B - Only on THIS site could we go from Black Dahlia Murder to Andrea Bocelli! If this were a car, we'd kill our engine changing gears that fast... anyway, it was pleasant.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare wrote:
February 15th, 2021, 12:32 pm
Tranny - BDM - Sounded like Cookie Monster on meth.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Banks: As a fan of both artists (especially Travis Scott), this was such a crushing letdown. Travis and Cudi both sound like their phoning it in and the beat is stunningly generic for artists that tend to have some of the most interesting, multi-layered production in all of hip hop. Hopefully their rumored collab album is more exciting than this.

John: :(

Leestu: A bit too stereotypically indie for me.

Ron: Goofy and kind of amusing reflection on our current situation (well not for you lucky Aussie bastard ;)). Not a bad way to spend 3 minutes.

Shryke: One of the better songs from Nectar. Joji's vocals are great here and Diplo continues to show he can do good production work outside of his dance/EDM comfort zone.

Six: Amusing concept for a song and the droning delivery maximized the comedy value.

Surfer: Riveting compared to the Fleet Foxes, but still pretty god damn dull.

UDM: Tracy Chapman didn't deserve this.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Banks: Keys is a mega talent, but her music has never grabbed me and this was no exception.

John: Fuck it, bring back My Morning Jacket.

Leestu: Good lord did this drone on and on.

Ron: Completely indifferent to this

Shryke: Slightly weaker than the previous Birthday Massacre on your list, but it maintained the same solid gothic atmosphere.

Six: Didn't work for me.

Surfer: Checked out Punisher over the summer due to all the hype surrounding it and was largely bored to tears. This was really the only song on the entire record that moved the needle for me at all. Solid, doom-laden buildup leading up to that screaming/horn section in the final minute that was very unexpected considering the tone/content of the rest of the record.

UDM: Let's just say this didn't bring me the same joy that it brought you :lol:

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Catching up a bit with Round 22

The Scotts – Not terrible, though I suspect that the parts I liked were samples stolen from someone else.

Day & Age – Wonderful indie twee. Reminiscent of Oh No! Oh My! ADDED

I'm Good? - Catchy, but disposable.

Daylight – Catchy, but disposable.

Alexa – The references to 2001 and Blade Runner only reinforces how unoriginal and obvious most of this is. Was there a reference to HER that I missed?

Away Team – This sounds like something that would have been justifiably rejected from 90s college rock radio.

DEALER – Needed more Sitar and less of everything else.

Fast Car - Dear sweet Jeebus! I'm in a forum with someone who'd never heard Fast Car before? Is it possible that all these young bands who sound so derivative to me are blissfully unaware of how familiar they sound and actually think they're doing something fresh and original? Tracy Chapman is rolling over in her grave, which is weird because she's still alive.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Nothing terribly interesting in round 21. A few decent tunes, but nothing I plan to revisit. On to the next thread.