Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #10-2

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Geezer
Axel Foley

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #10-2

Post by Geezer »

Yes he is Jeff Nichols' brother. He did the title song for the film "Loving" that is used at the end credits. It's a really great song, too. Talented family.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

transformers wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 11:25 pm

Like Geez, this is also my favorite song from Toxicity.
Right on brother! I can definitely say that I never expected to see this on another list, but I'm thrilled. I thought I was the only one who held this song in such high regard.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Chien - I only know of Woodkid from that song, it's on my all-time playlist. It was on a random playlist posted on Reddit years ago and I've been listening ever since. I had no idea he was French though.

Edit: actually I should've been tipped off he was French because I found him in this sub - https://www.reddit.com/r/MFPMPPJWFA/

Which stands for Music French People Might Play at a Party or Just With Friends Around

:lol:
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:
May 25th, 2020, 1:45 am
Chien - I only know of Woodkid from that song, it's on my all-time playlist. It was on a random playlist posted on Reddit years ago and I've been listening ever since. I had no idea he was French though.

Edit: actually I should've been tipped off he was French because I found him in this sub - https://www.reddit.com/r/MFPMPPJWFA/

Which stands for Music French People Might Play at a Party or Just With Friends Around

:lol:
You are a man of taste, Banks ;)
To be honest, the first time I heard the song, I had no idea Woodkid was French too. Although indeed, you should have been tipped off by the subtitle of the forum you found it in :lol:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 6 thoughts

Chien, Woodkid - It was nice enough, for some reason I can imagine Florence and the Machine doing something like this, but it never really grabbed me like I hoped.

Geezer, Green Day - I always feel like this era of Green Day is forgotten, it kind of fell in between their earlier pop punk years and then the American Idiot era when they tried to become a serious rock band with issues to address. I recall they tried a stylistic change on the record, taking in more folk and country influences, and this didn't work well with their fanbase. This song is kind of symptomatic of that, its very crisp and pleasant, but lacking the raw intensity of their earlier records.

JohnErle, Patti Griffin - That riff and the overall melody of the song was really nice, kept me going when I may sometimes have gotten a little bored. The vocals really kicked up a gear in the last minute too which benefits the sign greatly. Enjoyed that a lot.

Leestu, LCD Soundsystem - Fabulous song and one that I have had on shuffle a lot during the countdown. I never get tired of it.

Nspan, Pillowfight - Cool vocals and a nice beat, sample bits reminded me of Frontier Psychiatrist. Certainly one of the better songs from this album for me.

Ron, Tame Impala - This is very smooth, probably too smooth for my own tastes. Not really a fan of the vocals with this song, think they worked better on the last song posted, everything just feels so utterly cool about the whole thing and I want a bit of bite to it. Going by Leestu's analysis, I think if I do delve further into the band, Lonerism may be my starting point, the psych rock element sounds much more appealing.

Screen, Adele - Sorry buddy, but for me this is the single most definitive impression of a dull ballad I can think of. Just not a fan of this sad sack of a song.

Shryke, Alanis Morissette - Didn't really appeal to me, at times felt very similar to that Titanic song you reference in your comments. Just a little dull, unfortunately.

Six, Joanna Newsom - I have listened to a little Joanna Newsom and not enjoyed what I have heard, it always just felt a little weird for the sake of being weird. But lacking the harp, adding a piano and having a nice tempo to the song certainly made this a much more accessible song for me, even if her vocals are still a little odd. Had a retro quality to it all, which was appealing.

Tranny, System Of A Down - Still surprised this song has appeared even once on the countdown, when Aerials hasn't popped up at all as of yet. Its OK, but definitely a lesser track on the album for me.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I had Aerials at 138 on my extended list, if that makes you feel any better, Surfer :)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer, Lucero, Nights Like These
That sounds very American, but in a pretty good way.He pushes a little too much on the voice, but it's very pleasant overall.

John, My Morning Jacket, The Way That He Sings
What does that remind me of, in the chorus ? I can't remember. Not really something I'll go back to.

Leestu, Thee Oh Sees, Toe Cutter – Thumb Buster
Not sure I like that voice both high and transparent at the same time, but the sound is good. A bit boring when it lasts too long, but the variations are good.

NSpan, Black Mountain, Stormy High
Now that's a good intro. And when that's launched, it kinda lives up to it.

Ron, Tame Impala, Feels Like We Only Go Backwards
I think it's highly probably the only Tame Impala song I knew was "Let it happen". This one ain't bad either. Sort of a mellow, dream-like sound.

Screen, Disturbed, Down With The Sickness
When I read "nu metal classic", I knew I wouldn't like it. And indeed I don't.

Shryke, Muse, Hysteria
I've long stopped listening to Muse, but this is still from the time I listened to them, and even though it wasn't my favourite song, it's still very effective.

Six, Radiohead, Pyramid Song
The Radiohead love keeps coming, and that's good. It's a soft and yet ample song.

Surfer, Vampire Weekend, A-Punk
This song ain't bad, but in France it's been used as the music of a long and omnipresent commercial campaign that you can't escape, for the past 4 or 5 years, so I can't listen to it anymore.

Tranny, The Black Dahlia Murder, A Shrine to Madness
I liked the intro ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron B - The Less I Know the Better - Good, solid, dreampop song. Really enjoyed it. 7.5/10

Tranny - Deer Dance - If I had to name one thing I like about SOAD, it's their intensity. If I had to name a second thing, it would be Serj's range, which is worth the price of a ticket. 7.5/10

Geezer - Waiting - Great to see Green Day represent on multiple lists. This is one of their better hits this millennium. I never considered it for my own list, but I still enjoy listening to it. 7/10

Surfer - Mr. November - I haven't heard much from this guy, but I think this my favorite so far. 7/10

Screen - Someone Like You - Definitely one of Adele's most poignant and least objectionable songs. 6.5/10

Chien - I Love You (that's not a declaration, simmer down) - There was something intriguing in this song during my first listen. The second and third listens aggravated me because the music and vocal combination reminded me of someone I love (or used to), but I can't for the life of me remember who. Still, good song. 6.5/10

Six - Good Intentions Paving Co. - This song went to a few interesting places, but it felt too gospely for me. 6/10

Leestu - All My Friends - Same as the last time this appeared - seven and a half minutes of the same damn thing. 6/10

NSpan - In The Afternoon - You've exposed me to a lot of this band, Spanny. I remain frustratingly ambivalent on them. 6/10

JohnErle - Long Ride Home - So not my thing. 5.5/10
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

We have rounded the final turn and are coming down the home stretch.

CHIEN

Amy Winehouse, Back to Black (2006)

I don’t consider myself a fan of Amy Winehouse, far from it. Yet there is something in her songs that has always drawn my attention. And most of all, in “Back to Black”. There’s something very old-school in this song, that is elevated by a very modern construction. Her voice slides above the music with class. There is something strangely simple in that song, it plays on that simplicity and makes it all the more beautiful. For me it’s just pure class.

GEEZER

Against Me!, Pints of Guiness Make You Strong (2002)

Another song that was featured very highly (#9) on my list from 10 years ago that still ranks very high today. The first song off the first Against Me! full length album, and it is still very much among the very best work they have ever done. On any given day this song could be my number 1. It actually got a better response from the group than I expected ten years ago. Even Six liked it. Maybe we'll get the same again, maybe not. Lyrically poignant, with a perfect folk punk sound, the pinnacle of old school AM! I've spent countless nights with my fist in the air screaming along to this song. This time around, I get to post the version from their first live album, which I couldn't ten years ago, because I think it sounds better than the album version, though that is also great. Really there's no bad way to listen to this song.

JOHNERLE

Shearwater, Castaways (2009)

Somewhere in the Marvel multiverse, there's a version of planet Earth in which Big Country never shied away from their early sound and Stuart Adamson lived to a ripe old age. In that world they kept building on and expanding the ethereal sound of an album called The Seer, and eventually ended up recording an album that felt a lot like this. I've loved this song for a decade and never once read the lyrics until today, and even they sound like something Stuart might have written.

LEESTU

At The Drive In, Invalid Litter Dept. (2001)

There is just so much powerful, angry emotion in this song.

NSPAN

The Bright Light Social Hour, Shanty (2010)

My favorite track from one of this century's most fun albums.

RON B

Dr. Dre, Still Dre (2001)

SCREEN203

Lady Gaga feat Beyoncé, Telephone (2010)

Honestly, the song itself isn't that great... but the music video is my favorite EVER - I won't spoil it...

SHRYKE

Pet Shop Boys, King of Rome (2008)

When we started this countdown, I promised you four Pet Shop Boys songs, more than any other singer or artist. Here is the fourth. Honestly, this will probably bore more of you to tears. Songs like this tend to do the same when I hear them for the first time. King of Rome, however, is one of those songs that grew on me slowly, ever more with each passing year.

But before the yawn-fest begins, I’ll tell you a story. For those of you who have not read Joshua’s Island – my very first novel (which you can download for FREE on Kindle, btw) – it is a story that is deeply personal to me. It deals with a 13-year-old boy who has been bullied at school in every conceivable way. Targeted by the elites for victimization and shunned by pretty much everyone else, He takes solace in the fact that he only has to survive one more year of middle school. When he’s paired with a newly-christened popular girl named Eve in science class, however, his life completely changes. At first reluctant to even speak to him because of his (utterly fabricated) reputation as a freak, Eve learns to see Joshua for what he is – a smart, kind, beautiful person. She is eventually forced to choose between remaining with the popular girls clique or joining Joshua in exile. She chooses the latter, especially after realizing that her feelings for him run deeper than mere friendship.

There is a scene, in the second half of the book, when Eve is lying on her bed, listening to music, watching the thunderstorm that rages outside her window. A song comes on, and she drifts into a daydream where she’s dancing with the boy who has captured her heart. King of Rome is that song. It’s become special to me, a beauteous testament to Neil Tennant’s voice that will follow me till my final days.

And if I were
The King of Rome
I couldn’t be more lonely
With so much scope
To dream and hope
Someday you’ll deign to phone me

SIX

Protomartyr, Scum, Rise (2014)

These Detroit lads are one of my favourite acts of the last decade, hands down. I admire singer Joe Casey, who only started singing in his late 30s having lived a life of disappointments (including getting rejected from the Masters in Films Studies I did, the very year I did it!). What he lacks in vocal dexterity he surely makes up for in pure passion, and his lyrics are second to none. They give us glimpses into rich worlds, and this track’s story of revenge that seemingly turns out to be merely a desperate fantasy is one that feels like a whole book could be written about it. It also helps that the music is superb, with the jittery guitar giving the song a nervous post-punk energy, and the rhythm section holding their own.

SURFER

Mclusky, Alan Is A Cowboy Killer (2002)

Mclusky emerged at the beginning of the millennium as a thoroughly frantic Welsh rock trio, walking a fine tightrope between intensity and the ridiculous as their power-punk anthems caught my imagination and excitement. However, it wasn't until their second record was released, with the assistance of Steve Albini, that they really hit their stride. The manic energy was still there, as was the wit and humour in Andrew Falkous' lyrics and vocals, but there was something a little extra. Maybe Albini just cranked everything up to 11, but the band were tighter and more effective as a result, as they weaved infectious hooks and guitar lines into a varied collection of songs and styles. The highlight of these was Alan Is A Cowboy Killer, a song which, utilising the Pixies now oh so iconic loud/quiet/loud tactic, conveys the twists and turns of the band in just one song. It's at once a melancholic and exhilarating listen, Falco's rusty razor vocals bite while the guitars tussle with one another until breaking point as the narrative of homosexuality and maturity are both witty and deeply troubling. It was a life long ambition achieved when I got to witness Falco and co. live last year for the first time properly (I had caught the end of their set on a night out as a student), and this song was the highlight of the night just as its had been on record for almost twenty years.

TRANSFORMERS

Mastodon, The Wolf is Loose (2006):

This full throttle tune from my all-time favorite album shows off Mastodon's gift for writing massive riffs and superhuman drum fills while also being surprisingly catchy for such a fast song.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Chien: The worst part of Call Me By Your Name. By the time 4th or 5th montage where this was played, I almost walked out of the theater. It's so god damn pretentious and grating.
Geezer: Decent enough, but it's definitely my least favorite of the Lucero songs you've picked so far.
John: I've tried on several occasions, I just can't take Shatner's musical endeavors seriously.
Leestu: Completely understand why Kevin Parker has collaborated with these guys so much (and where he drew his inspiration for early Tame Impala from). The bluesy undertones were really unexpected and provided it with a bit of an edge that complemented the fuzziness of the psych very well. Definitely going to have check out more of their stuff.
NSpan: Nice combination of garage rock riffing and art pop atmospherics.
Ron B: One of the few Eminem songs I can still tolerate!
Screen: I've never really fucked with Alanis' stuff and this just sounds like a more watered-down version of the stuff from Jagged Little Pill.
Shryke: At least you broke the rules of the countdown for one of the most iconic TV theme songs of all time.
Six: Overrated song from an overrated band
Surfer: It's fine, but it's not something I'd ever listen to voluntarily. Also am I crazy for thinking that the main riff sounds like a somewhat slower version of Helicopter by Bloc Party?
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: This can't be the first Amy song to appear, is it? Like much of her stuff, her voice and the production around her music is impressive, but I can't help but feel that she's doing such a good job at sounding like 60s pop and soul that she renders herself redundant. Why not just listen to that era directly?
Geez: With a title like that, how can I forget? Yes, I do think these guys are better than most of the others you've picked songs from, and the rolling country-esque rhythm makes it stand out. Plus, it's been months since I had a pint of Guinness, and it feels almost as long as Evelyn has last seen James.
John: Didn't work for me as much as the other Shearwater stuff you've posted. It almost felt too brief, which I guess is a good criticism.
Leetsu: Is it this link or the production in general, but it sounds like its bit rate is 5 Kbps! Song itself is pretty good.
NSpan: These guys sound like a mix of retro disco-rock, a Franz Ferdinand cover act, and a wedding band. At times fun, at others pedestrian.
Ron B: This song is perfect for movies and reality TV shows, where you have about 15 seconds to convey a mood. At 4 and a half minutes it outstayed its welcome.
Screen: If you only like the video why have it as your #5 song of the last 20 years!!! Not for me. Beyonce has done better. Lady Gaga has done about the same.
Shryke: It's hard to be harsh on this, because it's so unassuming. Neither bad, nor particularly diverting. Just something pleasant floating in the background.
Surf: More 90s alt rock here. Quite good, though!
Tranny: Didn't do anything for me.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:
May 26th, 2020, 4:18 am
This can't be the first Amy song to appear, is it?
Surprisingly, I think it is...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The I Love It

Mclusky, Alan Is A Cowboy Killer - I love this song...from one one of my top 100 albums of all time...this song, and a couple of others from the album, would have been in my 100 if I didn't limit myself to one per album (which was To Hell With Good Intentions)

The Great

The Bright Light Social Hour, Shanty - first listen...yeah that was fun

The Very Good

Protomartyr, Scum, Rise - I still think this shows the potential that comes with their later material...I much prefer some of their more recent songs, and as I'm sure I've already said I think A Private Understanding is their best song

Against Me!, Pints of Guiness Make You Strong - good, fun, rollicking song

Mastodon, The Wolf is Loose - first listen...well I'm impressed

The Good

Pet Shop Boys, King of Rome - first listen...am I crazy or is there a bit of a Tame Impala does trip hop vibe to this?..quite pleasant, and probably the best of your Pet Shop Boys selections

Dr. Dre, Still Dre - I thought this was older...enjoyed this song for a while at the time...quite liked the plinking piano sound

Amy Winehouse, Back to Black - great voice so I like the song despite it not really being my style

The Okay

Shearwater, Castaways - first listen...didn't do much for me

The Rest

Lady Gaga feat Beyoncé, Telephone - first listen...nope, a strong I'll pass thanks from me

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Chien: Discovery is a terrific album and this is one of the unquestioned highlights.
Geezer: A notable improvement from the previous track. They're a pretty solid alt country act.
John: After dealing you ample auditory torture throughout this countdown, you got your revenge here. The way that mumbling contemporary Brian Wilson sings made my ears really fucking sad.
Leestu: The instrumentation has a nice, raw crunch to it, but those vocals are too bizarre for me to enjoy.
NSpan: Damn fine stoner/psych rock with a beautiful, sludgey guitar tone. The last 90 seconds or so were especially good.
Ron: I'm the exact opposite of six. Seeing Tame Impala live around this time last year made me appreciate them 100x more, especially a song like this that I previously found to be meandering, but now think is pretty damn cool.
Screen: Overplayed to all hell, but it helped plant the seeds for my love of metal, so I can never hate it.
Shryke: A chaotic yet catchy tune that beautifully encapsulates what made early Muse so appealing. Excellent choice.
Six: One of the things I was most looking forward heading into this countdown was hearing some more Radiohead with the hopes of clarifying my opinion on their music. That hasn't happened at all. To be honest, I think it's muddier than ever. After being downright repulsed by Nude, I thought this was terrific. A simple yet haunting tune with absolutely divine vocals from Thom Yorke. Guess conflicting takes are bound to happen when you're dealing with act that changes their sound so much!
Surfer: Breezy, quirky and fun. I miss this era of Vampire Weekend.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!