Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #30-21

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #30-21

Post by JohnErle »

I have nothing left to say about Outkast or that Rapture scream-fest.

Peter Van Poehl – I liked the big Beirut-ish climax but wasn't really digging it up to that point.

Mexican Guitars – It mixes up the formula a bit, and he sings more than he shouts, so I liked it more than a lot of your picks but it didn't really grab me.

Parquet Courts – Decent little tune, but ultimately too repetitive and the production is too muffled for my tastes.

Love In A Trashcan – This one sounds a little too close to the Cramps.

Chandelier – After the last Sia song I went googling to remember the name of the other Sia song I liked. It definitely ain't this, it was Buttons. This is way too Katy Perry for me.

Teenage Dirtbag – BNL meets Third Eye Blind. Not for me.

Mitski - It sounds like Billy Corgan showed up to play guitar on a late 90s power ballad. And her name always reminds me of Mitsou, Quebec's answer to Madonna in the 80s.

Black Dahlia - Listening to this in the light of day is about as scary as Count Floyd from SCTV or the Pit Of Ultimate Darkness from The Kids In The Hall.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I forgot to say that the Frank Turner didn't really grab me, but it's the kind of thing I expected to hear more of the past few years, lyrically. I figured you guys would point out a few I'd missed, though. No one man can keep with everything being released these days.

And there's going to be an uptick in sad songs in my top 20 as well. I always prefer songs that provoke an emotional response.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

And lo, our eighth thread comes to an end. Our vaunted Top 20 lies in wait.

CHIEN

Julien Doré, Sublime et Silence (2016)

Julien Doré is the kind of French musician that may sound too French. He’s got that soft voice
that finds the perfect harmony here in this song which is my favourite of his. The intro is long, so you may think there are no lyrics, but there are, so be patient ;)

“Sublime and silence, around me you dance, and I forget. I’m thinking of you, your burning lips when you smile. Emptiness would have been enough. Sublime and Silence, around you everything shakes, and ends. You’re thinking of me, our white drunkenness, I escape Paris. Emptiness would have been enough. But I know you remain in the flowers I leave you after dark. Violence and promises is all you hate, and death too. Emptiness would have been enough.”

GEEZER

Against Me!, Cliche Guevara (2003)

Another one of Against Me!'s songs that is infinitely better live, though you can say that with just about all of them. The energy in this song is just through the roof, and that is best represented when you can see them in action and can see the crowd reacting to it. The best song off As The Eternal Cowboy is always a highlight of their set. Fuck do I miss being in that sea of bodies.

JOHNERLE

Sparks, Dick Around (2006)

Now that you've all gotten your feet wet in the world of Sparks, it's time to throw you right into the deep end. This is Sparks at their Sparkiest. To quote Tranny hyping up one of his death metal epics, most of you will probably hate this. I hated it the first few times I heard it, and I was well on the way to being a major Sparks fan at that point, but like a lot of brilliant, distinctive, completely out there works of art, it took a while to wrap my brain around this song, and now I love it. Reading the lyrics definitely helped, but I don't expect anyone to do that the first time through.

Just how eccentric is this band? Well, I've already described The Seduction Of Ingmar Bergman, which is pretty damn eccentric, but consider the fact that when this album was finished, everyone involved listened to this WTF opus and decided it should be a single. That's right, they thought this would be one of the most commercially accessible songs on the album, and they weren't wrong. The video is suitably crazy and well-worth a look, but the radio edit doesn't come close to doing the song justice.

Also: Hippopotamus, My Baby's Taking Me Home

LEESTU

Pond, Man It Feels Like Space Again (2015)

From my favourite Pond album, and my favourite album of 2015, this is the epic, trippy, sprawling, closing track. A great way to finish the album that sort of summed up all the elements contained within. Recommended for after being stoned and starving like Parquet Courts yesterday.

NSPAN

Pillowfight, Rain (2012)

If "Marquee Moon" is my all-time favorite album, Pillowfight's debut is my favorite of this century... as you may have noticed. I like each track more than the last, so thanks for hanging in there with me.

RON B

The Strokes, Under Cover of Darkness (2011)

The Strokes and their album Angels went on repeat for a good few weeks.

SCREEN203

Ashanti, Rain On Me (2003)

Probably the best old-fashioned R&B song of the past 20 years. Ashanti's voice is amazing, and the instrumental behind it is great as well.

SHRYKE

Teddybears feat. Mad Cobra, Cobrastyle (2004)

You’ve all heard this song in countless trailers and a few movie soundtracks. I honestly don’t know why I love this song so freaking much, but I do. History is replete with huge hits filled with lyrics that don’t mean anything (you know, like “Shama Lama Ding Dong”, or “Give Peace a Chance”) 😉, and this song has me singing along the “diggy diggy” part every time I hear. It’s become a reflex action at this point. I just can’t help myself. To some of you this will probably be musical drivel (cough Six cough cough), but maybe a couple of you will like it.

SIX

Aphex Twin, Mt. Saint Michel/St. Michael’s Mount (2001)

Time for some more, delicious chaos. Aphex Twin spent the 90s redefining what music is, using computers and a love of rave music to make mind-expanding/busting electro, whether it was twisting ambient or incorporating metal (Come to Daddy) and hip-hop (Windowlicker) into his sound. He pushed it all a little further this millennium, retooling musical instruments to plays in strange, absurd ways, and in this track he pushed the limits of what the ear could take. I recommend using good earbuds for this, and letting those beats screw with your eardrums. When I listen to it my pupils feel like they’re dilating and my brain goes fuzzy. It’s like the journey into Jupiter in 2001. Who needs drugs!

SURFER

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Maps (2003)

I think most of you probably know this song by now, but that doesn't mean we can't love it another time! YYY's debut of garage rock sneer put them on the cover of every music magazine (remember them!), as Karen O and Co. threw everything at the wall with a varied and bombastic record. However, nothing had prepared me for Maps. This is a song where everything fell into place perfectly. The music carefully balanced between joy and discord allow for Karen O's restrained vocals to really steal the show. Yet for once, instead of the yelping and howling, they drip genuine, regretful emotion, at times almost on the verge of defeated tears. This revelation of true honesty gave Fever To Tell a heart to back up all this bravado, and with it, one of the most heart wrenching songs of the millennium.

TRANSFORMERS

The Dillinger Escape Plan, Crossburner (2013)

After offering up a couple of glances at their slower side, here's a return to the destructive, sweeping tempo change-filled sound that The Dillinger Escape Plan was primarily known for.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Thread Recap:
Chien:
30.Sufjan Stevens-Chicago
29.Mercury Rev-The Dark is Rising
28.Juliette Armanent-A la folie
27.Angus and Julia Stone-Draw Your Swords
26.Archive-Again
25.Lykke Li-I Follow Rivers (The Magician Remix)
24.Eminem-Lose Yourself
23.M-Qui de nous deux?
22.Peter von Poehl-The Bell Tolls Five
21.Julien Dore-Sublime et Silence

Geezer:
30.Lucero-The War
29.The Menzingers-Sunday Morning
28.Against Me!-Thrash Unreal
27.Red City Radio-Show Me on the Doll Where the Music Touched You
26.Dropkick Murphys-Captain Kelley's Kitchen
25.Sum 41-Fat Lip
24.Frank Turner-Recovery
23.The Gaslight Anthem-Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts
22.The Menzingers-Mexican Guitars
21.Against Me!-Cliche Guevara

John:
30.Steve Earle-The Tennessee Kid
29.Camera Obscura-Lloyd, I'm Ready to Be Heartbroken
28.Shearwater-Rooks
27.Great Lake Swimmers-The Talking Wind
26....And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead-Life
25.The Postal Service-We Will Become Silhouettes
24.Ray Lamontagne-Hey, No Pressure
23.Iron & Wine-Woman King
22.Jason Isbell-Hope the High Road
21.Sparks-Dick Around

Leestu:
30.Rufus-Innerbloom
29.Modest Mouse-Parting of the Sensory
28.Cable Ties-The Producer
27.The Drones-I See Seaweed
26.Parquet Courts-Almost Had to Start a Fight/In and Out of Patience
25.Ty Seagall-She
24.Modest Mouse-Float On
23.The Smith Street Band-Young Drunk
22.Parquet Courts-Stoned and Starving
21.Ponds-Man It Feels Like Space Again

NSpan:
30.The Redwalls-Game of Love
29.Danger Doom-Crosshairs
28.The Greenhornes-There is an End
27.Frank Black-Custom All the Way
26.Clinic-Harmony
25.Holly Golightly-Carpet of Horses
24.Dan the Automator-I Want the Mic
23.Spoon-The Underdog
22.The Raveonettes-Love in a Trashcan
21.Pillowfight-Rain

Ron:
30.Powderfinger-Sunsets
29.Modest Mouse-Float On
28.Spoon-Don't You Evah
27.Gorillaz-Dare
26.Gotye-Learnalligivnanlovin
25.Eminem-The Real Slim Shady
24.Grizzly Bear-2 Weeks
23.Interpol-Obstacle 1
22.Outkast-Ms.Jackson
21.The Strokes-Under Cover of Darkness

Screen:
30.Garbage-Shut Your Mouth
29.Florence + the Machine-Dogs Days Are Over
28.Ne-Yo-Closer
27.Rachel Stevens-Crazy Boys
26.Nelly Furtado-Say It Right
25.Leona Lewis-Bleeding Love
24.Tinashe-All Hands on Deck
23.Alanis Morisette-Hands Clean
22.Sia-Chandalier
21.Ashanti-Rain on Me

Shryke:
30.Muse-The Dark Side
29.DNCE-Cake by the Ocean
28.Audioslave-Like a Stone
27.Owl City-Fireflies
26.Sean Kingston-Fire Burning
25.Brandi Carlile-The Story (I Was Made For Your)
24.Volbeat-Die to Live (feat. Neil Fallon)
23.Depeche Mode-Freelove
22.Wheatus-Teenage Dirtbag
21.Teddybears-Cobrastyle (feat. Mad Cobra)

Six:
30.!!!-Hello? Is This Thing On?
29.A Silver Mount Zion-13 Angels Standing Guard Round the Side of Your Bed
28.M.I.A.-Born Free
27.Flying Lotus-Parisian Goldfish
26.Savages-Adore
25.Deerhunter-Nothing Ever Happened
24.Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds-The Sorrowful Wife
23.Radiohead-Idioteque
22.The Rapture-House of Jealous Lovers
21.Aphex Twin-Mt. Saint Michel/St. Michael's Mount

Surfer:
30.The Flaming Lips-The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
29.Mikal Cronin-Weight
28.Screaming Females-I'll Make You Sorry
27.Promartyr-Scum, Rise!
26.The Kills-Cat Claw
25.The Rapture-House of Jealous Lovers
24.Elliot Smith-Somebody That I Used to Know
23.Perfume Genius-Dark Parts
22.Mitski-Your Best American Girl
21.Yeah Yeah Yeahs-Maps

Transformers:
30.Between the Buried and Me-Prequel to the Sequel
29.Lana Del Rey-Ride
28.Children of Bodom-Kissing the Shadows
27.After the Burial-Berzerker
26.Coheed and Cambria-Ten Speed (Of God's Blood and Burial)
25.Kendrick Lamar-m.A.A.d city
24.Protest the Hero-C'est La Vie
23.Death Grips-The Fever (Aye Aye)
22.The Black Dahlia Murder-What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse
21.The Dillinger Escape Plan-Crossburner
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The I Love It

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Maps - I love it, although obviously not as much as others, sorry it was so low on my list :lol:

The Great

The Strokes, Under Cover of Darkness - it's not one of my favourites of theirs but it's still a great song...anyone heard their new album yet? It's not bad but I feel it's a step back rather than a return to form, especially considering I was enjoying the direction The Voidz were heading in

The Very Good

Julien Doré, Sublime et Silence - first listen...not exactly sure why but for some reason this song worked for me...enjoyed the video too

Sparks, Dick Around- first listen...well that was a little bit strange but not overly so...it was like Queen meets Gilbert & Sullivan and together make a The Who-like rock opera...I like all three of those things so this was easy to enjoy first listen, and reading along to the lyrics added to that

The Good

The Dillinger Escape Plan, Crossburner - first listen...I would like to hear more of this band (Miss Machine is the only album I've heard), more post-hardcore than metal they have a good balance of noisy listenablility

Pillowfight, Rain - first listen...I think I've liked all the Pillowfight songs so far...shame the album isn't on spotify here

Against Me!, Cliche Guevara - I think I've heard this one before...I've seen them live once and although I didn't know them very well at the time it was a pretty great set, and I think I probably agree with you that live is the best way to experience them...now I'm sad - when will I get to experience a sweaty mosh pit again, if ever

The Okay

Teddybears feat. Mad Cobra, Cobrastyle - first listen...if I've heard this before in a movie or trailer it doesn't ring any bells...sure it's got a catchy beat but it's a bit silly and disposable really...however when I saw the album has a song called Punkrocker with Iggy Pop on vocals I had to check it out and it's pretty decent (although again disposable), so maybe it's the dancehall inspired vocals on this song that don't work for me. I struggle to enjoy much dancehall at all

The Meh

Aphex Twin, Mt. Saint Michel/St. Michael’s Mount - first listen...I've tried with a couple of Aphex Twin albums (not Drukqs but) and I can't get into him...too much fucking around at the expense of listenability

Ashanti, Rain On Me - objectively it's hard to knock it, subjectively wake me when it's over

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Wow, a round of epic songs that made my listening time twice as long as usual. Apologies for contributing with my 8 min track!

Chien: Not bad at all. Wasn't crazy about the vocalist forced soulfulness but the music was nice.
Geez: Well, at least it sounded a little more punk than pop-punk, but it still wasn't anything special.
John: I had prepared myself having first read your description, but it didn't work. Was not expecting that. I guess it's a cross between a sort of prog rock album and musical theatre, neither of which are for me. I was amused by the lyrics, though.
John: Another epic song! It was okay, but I definitely drifted due to its dreamy-like nature.
NSpan: I'm beginning to think it's the other DtA stuff I like, and Pillowfight are pleasant but forgettable
Ron: I thought I hadn't heard any Strokes from this decade, but I know this song. It's not bad, and Casablancas's vocals sound somewhat strong, but it still sounds so much like their early work which I'd always choose over this.
Screen: Not my thing but I get the chilled appeal.
Shryke: Also not my thing (and don't recognise it), but the reggae vocals and the 60s pop music actually worked well. So like Ashanti I didn't mind listening to it.
Surf: Perfectly described. What an incredible song. Made me go back to Fever to Tell. What an album.
Tranny: This was pretty good. More restrained and sludgy than some of the other hysterical metal you've posted.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Leestu wrote:
May 5th, 2020, 2:53 am
Sparks, Dick Around- first listen...well that was a little bit strange but not overly so...it was like Queen meets Gilbert & Sullivan and together make a The Who-like rock opera...I like all three of those things so this was easy to enjoy first listen, and reading along to the lyrics added to that
Sparks were compared to Queen all the time during their glam rock phase, but I had never considered any similarity to Gilbert & Sullivan. Now that you mention it I think that's a valid comparison. They do use rapid-fire witty dialogue in some of their songs, so I might use G&S as a benchmark the next time I try to describe a song like Dick Around to someone.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

JohnErle, I notice you bring up compression a lot. My question to you is: are you really able to judge how compressed a track is when you're listening to it on a platform like YouTube? Isn't everything on there lossy formats filtered through more lossy formats? By the time it hits our ears, I reckon the range of the original song is completely distorted. What say you?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 21 thoughts

After a few days of really good rounds, his was a bit of a letdown, really.

Chien, Julien Dore - I liked the piano, but other than that it was just a little too dull, and the vocals too smooth for my tastes.

Geezer, Against Me - Not a song of theirs I am familiar with, and while it was a little predictable it was a bit of fun, nice guitar solo and suspect this would indeed be decent live.

JohnErle, Sparks - This is just a little too Sparks for me! Sounds like it could be a stage musical mixed with Queen and The Who.

Leestu, Pond - I have heard a little of Pond, but I think that stuff is usually a little more urgent than this, just kind of drifted through it really.

Nspan, Pillowfight - Not really getting the attraction of this album, everything, this included is fine but kind of forgettable.

Ron, The Strokes - I almost forgot this album even existed. While it does indeed remind me a lot of their first album, it is definitely one of the better songs from this era. However, despite this it's not really a patch on their best work, cool guitar solo and string vocals aside.

Screen, Ashanti - Not really familiar with her other than by name, but reminded me of 90s era RnB, which was listenable but never something I would seek out.

Shryke, Teddybears - Not sure why, but the music gave me Fat Boy Slim vibes, which was decent. Not bothered by the vocals, but definitely listenable.

Six, Aphex Twin - I have tried quite a bit with Aphex Twin over the years but have often found his style just impenetrable for my tastes, not enough melody to really keep me interested. This was better than most of the work I have heard, although my daughter exclaimed after hearing the first couple of minutes, 'I can't listen to this, there's no music!'

Tranny, The Dillinger Escape Plan - I was lulled into a false sense of security by the beginning, and then it went where I feared. There were moments that were exciting and interesting, but they were few and far in between.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

NSpan wrote:
May 5th, 2020, 2:59 pm
JohnErle, I notice you bring up compression a lot. My question to you is: are you really able to judge how compressed a track is when you're listening to it on a platform like YouTube? Isn't everything on there lossy formats filtered through more lossy formats? By the time it hits our ears, I reckon the range of the original song is completely distorted. What say you?
The short answer is yes, I can hear it. The long answer is below.

(cracks knuckles)

When talking about music there are actually two completely different types of compression at play: data compression and dynamic range compression. When I harp on about compression it's usually the latter I'm talking about, but data compression also hurts the audio quality in different ways.

Lossy data compression, i.e., converting a CD to mp3, causes distortion and the algorithm decides that certain parts of the audio signal are more important than others and tosses out the parts it thinks are unnecessary – usually higher notes that older folks often can't hear and lousy speakers can't reproduce. And yes, if you take an mp3 and upload it to YouTube you're running it through a lossy compression algorithm twice, causing even more distortion and audio loss. (Actually, I'm assuming YouTube's algorithm is lossy since I haven't actually looked into that in years.)

I can definitely hear the difference between 128k mp3 and 320k mp3, and I avoid fan-made videos on YouTube because you're exactly right when you say they're often uploaded using lossy source files which adds distortion upon distortion and I can definitely hear that on my Sennheiser headphones, which is how I usually listen to music. When I download files using Spotify I at least know the source was high quality and downloading gives me the highest quality Spotify has to offer, which usually sounds much better than anything on YouTube.

One thing data compression usually doesn't do is cause dynamic range compression, which is a whole other deal.

Dynamic Range Compression happens at the mastering stage before an album reaches CD, Vinyl, or any other format. I won't post that video again if you missed it last time, but here's the link for a beautiful demonstration of what dynamic range compression does to music. At some point in the mid 90s, record labels decided louder was always better, which lead to the loudness wars, and which is why pop music today sounds louder than metal in the 80s or grunge in the early 90s. This is what drives me and many audiophiles batty, and why I started an internet radio station focusing on music with good dynamic range, which is still sadly hard to find these days. Except on vinyl, which, for all its flaws, can't handle the DR compression of most modern CDs, so vinyl's limitations force record companies to offer greater dynamic range if they want to jump on the vinyl bandwagon.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Julien Dore – Pas pour moi. Trop francais et tros pop.

Cliche Guevara – Their sound definitely evolved over the years, but I prefer the New Wave approach. This was okay but I wish I could understand more of the lyrics.

Pond – I hated the intro and was tempted to hit the skip button, but I'm glad I didn't because the rest was terrific. Very... spacey. ADDED

The Strokes – Sounds more like a Strokes tribute band than a viable musical act. I barely tolerated these guys in their prime, so I'm not eager to hear more of them well past it.

Ashanti – I liked the seriously old-school vibe of the music, but the vocals were standard modern r&b. ADDED anyway.

Pillowfight – It seems like most of Dan the Automator's stuff is not available on Spotify in Australia so I almost missed this one again. It didn't blow me away, but it's probably worth revisiting, so ADDED.

Teddybears – I recognize the album cover, so the Iggy Pop collaboration must have been something I was aware of at the time, but I don't recognize this song at all. It was terrifically fun. ADDED.

Aphex Twin – When I had it on as background music I liked it, but when I focused on it I got bored quickly.

Maps – Classic, obviously. I hope it appears a few more times to dethrone Float On.

Dillinger Escape Plan – Shouty demons = no.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien - French Guy Singing French - LOVE the piano. Love it. Love it so much I don't even care what Julien was singing. 7.5/10

JohnErle - Dick Around - I can't improve on what others have said. Weird and wacky. Jazz hands!! 7/10

Ron B - Under Cover of Darkness - Sounds a bit too much like Last Night for me to differentiate. (BTW, check out their new album, it's darn good.) 6.5/10

Surfer - Maps - Still sounds like Chrissie Hynde to me. I may never get over that hump. Good song. 6.5/10

Six - Michael St. Michel - I remember someone had a song called Windowlicker on their list ten years ago, and the video was the single most egregious thing I'd seen in years (maybe ever). This, at long last, wipes the stain of that one Aphex Twin experience from my mind. Not bad at all. 6.5/10

Geezer - Cliche Guevara - A little too discordant for me, but I like the energy. 6/10

NSpan - Rain - Wow, lots of precipitation in this group. Sorry I'm not so much into psychedelia, man. 6/10

Leestu - Man It Feels Like Space Again - Lots of psychedelia in this group. Sorry I'm not into weed, man. 5.5/10

Screen - Rain on Me - Just okay for me. 5.5/10

Tranny - Crossburner - Not nearly as offensive as some of your stuff, but only just. 5.5/10
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer, The Gaslight Anthem, Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts
Definitely one of the best songs you've posted so far, one of my favourite at least, if not my favorite.

John, Iron & Wine, Woman King
I like Iron & Wine, pretty good song.

Leestu, The Smith Street Band, Young Drunk
It's alright, but this isn't the kind of song I'd really revisit.

NSpan, Spoon, The Underdog
There's something in this song that grows, something festive I really like.

Ron, Interpol, Obstacle 1
Solid Interpol song, good choice.

Screen, Alanis Morissette, Hands Clean
When I was a teen in the 90's, I was really into Alanis Morissette. Maybe because my grandmother's first name was Mauricette, who knows. Anyway, this is probably the last album of hers I listened to, it's alright, but I'm not into her anymore.

Shryke, Depeche Mode, Freelove
Not very familiar with their music from the 21st century, but it sounds alright.

Six, Radiohead, Idioteque
Still not my favorite from Radiohead, far from it, but it's still Radiohead.

Surfer, Perfume Genius, Dark Parts
Well, that was kinda beautiful, wasn't it ? Yes. Beautiful song. I'm gonna listen to that one again for sure. Starting right now !

Tranny, Death Grips, The Fever (Aye Aye)
In French, we say "Aïe Aïe Aïe" when something happens we don't like, or if it hurts. Sounds like Aye Aye Aye. Well, Aïe.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer, The Menzingers, Mexican Guitars
I like that less than your #23 for sure. Something in his voice ready to burst I don't like.

John, Jason Isbell, Hope The High Road
If it's anti-Trump it's gotta be good, but musically, I'm no fan.

Leestu, Parquet Courts, Stoned And Starving
Meh. This really isn't the sort of sound I'm into. I like the bass, and there's an evolution in the guitar that's interesting, but I'm getting tired of this kind of sound that's exclusively Guitar / Drums / Bass, so there's gotta a certain energy or twist I don't really find here.

NSpan, The Raveonettes, Love in a Trashcan
It's sweetly fun, but minor to me.

Ron, Outkast, Ms. Jackson
Not a fan.

Screen, Sia, Chandelier
I really like the energy of the chorus in this song, it's hard to resist. Beyond that I don't really listen to this song. But it certainly is really effective.

Shryke, Wheatus, Teenage Dirtbag
Didn't know them, not a fan.

Six, The Rapture, House of Jealous Lovers
There's something addictive in this song, and yet I don't really like it, His voice hurts my ears.

Surfer, Mitski, Your Best American Girl
At last a song I like in this round. Not as much as your #23, but it's a mix of something rock and delicate I really enjoy.

Tranny, The Black Dahlia Murder, What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse
What can I say ? You still haven't convinced me with the genre.
Fluctuat nec mergitur