Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #30-21

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #30-21

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer, Lucero, The War
I like the voice. Overall a pleasant song.

John, Steve Earle, The Tennessee Kid
Nice voice again, and an interesting sound in the genre.

Leesstu, Rüfüs, Innerbloom
I'm not familiar with this band. I'm not sure this is my kind of music either, but there's something in this song that keeps you listening to it.

NSpan, The Redwalls, Game of Love
Not bad. Probably won't come back to it though.

Ron, Powderfinger, Sunsets
Not bad either, but nothing distinctive and memorable for me.

Screen, Garbage, Shut your mouth
There are a couple of Garbage songs I like. Didn't know that one, but my girlfriend is a fan of Garbage and likes this one. Not my kind.

Shryke, Muse, The Dark Side
I've listened to Muse til about a decade ago, more or less, I've grew tired of them. Didn't know that one. Very Muse, so it reminds me of I liked in them back then, but also of why I got tired of it.

Six, !!!, Hello? Is This Thing On?
I can understand why you'd choose it to jog. Nice rhythm. Outside of jogging though, it's a pot-pourri. Part good, part boring.

Surfer, The Flaming Lips, The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
There are songs of The Flaming Lips I prefer, but this is a nice little song.

Tranny, Between the Buried and Me, Prequel to the Sequel
Not for me...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer, The Menzingers, Sunday Morning
I'll be honest, I don't like the song and feel no connection to it. But it's a beautiful testimony of friendship you're giving us by sharing us your story about it. To your brother !

John, Camera Obscura - Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken
I'm not really familiar with Camera Obscura, but it sounds good. Kind of an upbeat, fun song. I like it.

Leestu, Modest Mouse, Parting Of The Sensory
I'm not familiar with Modest Mouse either, but what I've listened to in this countdown sounds good. This one definitely is.

NSpan, Danger Doom, Crosshair
Strange mix, bits I like, bits I don't.

Ron, Modest Mouse, Float On
Yeah, this is really good.

Screen, Florence + The Machine, Dog Days Are Over
I4m not huge on F+TM, but this is actually really good. Maybe I should give Florence another shot.

Shryke, DNCE, Cake By the Ocean
Wait what ? This is a Jonas Brother ? I didn't know. And what ? I actually find it pretty pleasant to listen to. Definitely not what I would associate with a Jonas. Nothing great, but in its kind, it's surprisingly fun.

Six, A Silver Mount Zion, 13 Angels Standing Guard Round the Side of Your Bed
I like that strange and melancholic vibe that grows in that song.

Surfer, Mikal Cronin, Weight
Nice song.

Tranny, Lana Del Rey, Ride (2012)
Wow, A song of I could listen til the end, that's rare ;) Pretty nice song.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Juliette Armanet, A la folie (2017)

Last appearance of Juliette Armanet in my countdown. She has been my big musical revelation of 2019. The voice of an angel with a talent to write and play with words that makes her so unique. A la folie has an old-school dance vibe which displays a slow but cool groove. “A la folie can mean two things, “wildly”, but also “to the madness”.

“Wildly, I hold your body against my body, a few golden minutes, just for a few chords. Fragile ball, still heart, I’m floating with the music like I hang on a thread. Wildly I hold your night against my night, I’m risking everything for life, a forbidden slow. A few golden minutes, just for a few chords, I live for music, it’s my set. Feast. Strange Feast. Strange defeat. Impossible tete-a-tete. Dance. Strange dance. Strange cadence. Impossible chance.

GEEZER

Against Me!, Thrash Unreal (2007)

While I consider New Wave one of Against Me!'s worst albums, to use one of their song titles, even at their worst, they're still better than most. There's a few very good songs, but Thrash Unreal was always the highlight of the album for me, and it still is. There's a really good story about the subject here that relates to a song that I have coming up down the road. You can read it in her book.

JOHNERLE

Shearwater - Rooks

Quite possibly Shearwater's signature tune, if not quite my favourite.

LEESTU

Cable Ties, The Producer (2017)

Another tough call, because Say What You Mean, also from this album, is just as good (maybe even better – depends on my mood at the time) and deserves to be on this list as well, but one per album. The whole self-titled debut album is fantastic, (my #3 album of 2017), with 8 great songs, and not a single filler. Powerful punky vocals railing against the patriarchy of the music industry, over a post-punk influenced bass line, with shredding guitars. Their follow up album just came out in March too, and so far, is my favourite album of 2020…so if you like this song I highly recommend checking out both of their albums.

NSPAN

The Greenhornes, There Is An End (2002)

Holly Golightly + The Greenhornes. It's a match made it heaven!

RON B

Spoon, Don't You Evah (2008)

SCREEN203

Ne-Yo, Closer (2007)

And the most embarrassing pick goes to...

This is a smooth R&B track that reminds me of the more danceable ones we have seemingly lost over time. The only reason it's so high on my list is because I used to love it when I was younger, and I think it has shaped my musical tastes since.

SHRYKE

Audioslave, Like a Stone (2003)

Well, at least I know Geezer will like this pick (his #54). When we did our countdown ten years ago, this made the list – funnily enough, the one Audioslave song I have coming up later did not. Songs come, songs go, but this one, THIS ONE will always be special. Compared to a lot of Chris Cornell’s stuff, this one is almost stripped down, perfectly showcasing his range, his breath control, and his rawness.

SIX

MIA, Born Free (2010)

Okay, so this is essentially a cover of Suicide’s “Ghost Rider” as it’s so indebted to the original. But MIA adds a nervy energy and some live drums, kicking it up a notch. She takes a key line from the source track (“America is killing its youth”) and transforms it into an aggressive celebration of defiance. I’m not posting the video, but it’s worth checking out Romain Gavras’s controversial and hilarious video about red-haired people being declared the enemy and being hunted down.

The above didn't work for me, but this one did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEdk8YhieSQ

SURFER

Screaming Females, I'll Make You Sorry (2018)

Having followed Marissa Paternoster from Screaming Females earliest offerings, it has been an interesting journey seeing the dynamic of the group develop and their focus tighten. This has allowed Paternoster to keep bringing killer riff after killer riff to the plate, while their ability to craft melodies have only improved. This reached its current zenith on All At Once, and in particular I'll Make You Sorry, their first fully fledged piece of pop punk. There have been hints before that the band were capable of such greatness, but between the rhythm section bearing down on you with aplomb and Paternoster's multitracked chopping and chiming against one another, nothing has ever equaled this with such finesse.

TRANSFORMERS

Children of Bodom, Kissing the Shadows (2000)

Metal is an inherently corny, excessive genre of music and Children of Bodom heavily embraces that spirit. All of their cover art features the Grim Reaper, they routinely utilize samples from old horror movies and dueling keyboard/guitar solos are a focal point of their music. While this formula has certainly earned them their fair share of detractors, their self-awareness combined with their decades-spanning metal influences and freewheeling energy makes them a lot of fun to listen to.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien - A la folie - Love this. Had a very 80s sound, which I love. Love the piano, love her voice. Let me know if she ever does an English version! 8/10

JohnErle - Rooks - I think I've liked all your Shearwater picks so far. I'm really gonna have to look into this group! 7.5/10

Geezer - Thrash Unreal - By far my favorite Against Me! song you've put forth thus far. Well done. 7.5/10

Surfer - I'll Make You Sorry - Damn, Surf. I'll give it to you... that girl can warble! Great song. 7/10

Screen - Closer - Having just featured a Jonas Brother on my list, I'm not going to call you out on this. It's actually pretty good. 6.5/10

NSpan - There Is an End - Very retro and NSpanny. 6.5/10

Ron B - Don't You Evah - Good song, but only just. 6/10

Leestu - The Producer - The guitars were awesome, but the vocals felt a little too shouty for me. 6/10

Tranny - Kissing the Shadows - Not for me. 5/10

Six - Born Free (as free as the wind blows, as free as the grass grows) - This had a bit of Fatboy Slim in it, except the part where I liked id. 4.5/10

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Awesome

Against Me!, Thrash Unreal - great vocals, lyrics, music, and passionate energy. I've only heard a few Against Me! albums but this is the one I came back to the most so interesting that you think it's one of their least best. (I try to avoid worst when it comes to music ranking terminology)

The Excellent

MIA, Born Free - a really interesting usage of Ghost Rider...I've seen the video before, it's memorable for sure

The Great

Audioslave, Like a Stone - he's a great singer

The Very Good

Screaming Females, I'll Make You Sorry - along with Glass House, one of the best songs on the album

Shearwater, Rooks - first listen - very pleasing to the ear

The Greenhornes, There Is An End - first listen...I really liked the retro '60s stoner groove vibe

Spoon, Don't You Eva - normally I find Spoon a bit alt rock bland but this is a pretty good one of theirs. It's things like the crashing guitars at about 2:30 that I want to see more of from them

The Good

Children of Bodom, Kissing the Shadows - first listen...it's how over the top this is plus the fact that it's listenable, that makes it enjoyable

The Okay

Ne-Yo, Closer - first listen...as smooth R&B goes this is not too bad

The Meh

Juliette Armanet, A la folie - first listen...nice voice

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: Sorry, dude, but this sounded like a really cheesy 80s pop song. Not for me.
Geez: It was okay at best. I won't remember it in a few mins
John: This was great. Almost a Radiohead vibe, if they merged with Calexico. The singer really goes for those high notes.
Leetsu: Only recently heard of them, on the back of the new album. This is my kinda music. They'd make an awsome support act for Priests.
NSpan: Very cool retro. I knew I'd heard it before and when I checked I discovered it was in Broken Flowers.
Ron B: Haven't heard anything from Spoon since Gimmie Fiction, but this had a solid rhythm.
Screen: It's not so much embarrassing, just completely forgettable.
Shryke: As before, I like the vocals. That's about it.
Surf: Not a bad song, although the album as a whole didn't quite amaze me. I got it on the back of hearing Glass House, and that's still my favourite by far.
Tranny: This unfortunately summarises all the things I don't like in metal.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Leestu wrote:
April 25th, 2020, 11:56 pm
The Awesome

Against Me!, Thrash Unreal - great vocals, lyrics, music, and passionate energy. I've only heard a few Against Me! albums but this is the one I came back to the most so interesting that you think it's one of their least best. (I try to avoid worst when it comes to music ranking terminology)
Yeah, I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still in my top 100 albums of all time. And its easily better than Shape Shift with Me and pretty much on par with As the Eternal Cowboy and White Crosses, I just don't think its close to the stratosphere of Reinventing Axl Rose, Searching for a Former Clarity or Transgender Dysphoria Blues.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer, Against Me!, Thrash Unreal
This isn't my kind of music, but it's still strangely pleasant, there's rhythm and melody that makes it better than I expected.

John, Shearwater - Rooks
Not familiar with this band or song, but I really like it.Delicate and engaging at the same time, with moments of surprise.

Leestu, Cable Ties, The Producer
Yeah, the creaming voice has my ears tired before the end of the song, although I really like the guitar and the overall rhythm.

NSpan, The Greenhornes, There Is An End
I remember that song from Jarmusch's Broken Flowers, it's pretty good, the kind of song that sticks with you. I hadn't heard it in years. Yeah, it's really good.

Ron, Spoon, Don't You Evah
Another pretty good song.

Screen, Ne-Yo, Closer
Embarrassing I don't know, but you won't get my vote with this one for sure :lol:

Shryke, Audioslave, Like a Stone
Never been a fan of Audioslave, don't really know the band that well, but this song it's easy to listen to, not bad at all.

Six, MIA, Born Free
I love MIA's Paper Planes, but I can't say the same of this song. There's originality in it, and an interesting sound, but I take no pleasure in listening to it, it doesn't click with me.

Surfer, Screaming Females, I'll Make You Sorry
Not bad, the melody is pleasant, nothing special but easy to listen to.

Tranny, Children of Bodom, Kissing the Shadows
Soft, delicate, melodic..... no wait I listened to the wrong song ;) Musically it's easier to listen to than most of your choices, but the singing kills it.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
Sufjan Stevens, Chicago (2005) (this is much better than some of the other SS songs we've seen featured here)
Powderfinger, Sunsets (2004)
Muse, The Dark Side (2018) (Like I told ya on Facebook, Starlight was a contender for me. If this list went to 200 it would have been for sure.)

Love It

Meh
Steve Earle, The Tennessee Kid (2015) (I really like the other stuff better. Do not like the Velvet Underground or anything resembling their style)
Rüfüs, Innerbloom (2015)
The Redwalls, Game of Love (2007)
Between the Buried and Me, Prequel to the Sequel (2007)

Loathe It
Garbage, Shut Your Mouth (2001)
!!!, Hello? Is This Thing On? (2004)
The Flaming Lips, The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song (2006) (the yeah yeah yeah yeah part of the song literally made me cringe. Shame because outside of that there was good stuff, but I just couldn't get past it.)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
Camera Obscura - Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken (2006)
Florence + The Machine, Dog Days Are Over (2008)

Love It
Modest Mouse, Float On (2004) (Going to be the most selected track here, huh? Not really surprised)

Meh
Mercury Rev, The Dark is Rising (2001)
Modest Mouse, Parting Of The Sensory (2007)
Mikal Cronin, Weight (2013)
Lana Del Rey, Ride (2012)

Loathe It
Danger Doom, Crosshairs (2005)
DNCE, Cake By the Ocean (2015) (Sorry Shryke, even I can't defend this one)
A Silver Mount Zion, 13 Angels Standing Guard Round the Side of Your Bed (2000) (Ok now you're just picking songs to irritate my senses)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
Ne-Yo, Closer (2007) (This is actually the best song of the round so far)

Love It
Audioslave, Like a Stone (2003) (Not anymore. Obviously a great choice)
Screaming Females, I'll Make You Sorry (2018) (Man, I really need to spend more time with this band)

Meh
Juliette Armanet, A la folie (2017)
Shearwater - Rooks
Cable Ties, The Producer (2017)
The Greenhornes, There Is An End (2002)
Spoon, Don't You Evah (2008)
Children of Bodom, Kissing the Shadows (2000)

Loathe It
MIA, Born Free (2010)

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 28 thoughts

Again, thoroughly enjoyed this round, quality if obviously improving as we get closer to our top 10.

Chien, Juliette Armanet - Pleasant enough again, piano was nice, would not turn it off even if nothing that blew me away from the song.

Geezer, Against Me - Definitely one of the highlights of the album, I purchased it on the back of a previous countdown you featured the band in and while it's not an album I listen to a lot, I never regret buying it. This was a stand out, very catchy chorus.

JohnErle, Shearwater - I listen to the countdown on Spotify, and I was certain when this song first came on it was a lost The Twilight Sad song I had never heard, really enjoyed it, and can definitely hear the Radiohead vibe too. My favourite of the countdown from these guys.

Leestu, Cable Ties - I first heard about these guys when they signed for Merge last year and checked out this album. Great stuff, definitely a Priests vibe, and like you, really enjoying the new record.

Nspan - I do like this album, not my own personal favourite song from it, but can see why you like it so much. Very 60s sound.

Ron, Spoon - Nice and catchy, if it never quite explodes like I wanted it to.

Screen, NeYo - Not really for me, but have heard it plenty over the years and it doesn't offend me, so I'll take that as a good thing!

Shryke, Audioslave - Didn't realise they were quite so popular before this countdown, indeed I had almost forgot they ever existed. Cornell still sounds good, just a little wasted by the backup considering the talent involved.

Six, M. I. A - Wow, there was a lot of energy to this, really enjoyed it. Think I need to start listening to an album of hers now.

Tranny, Children Of Bodom - Ha, this was insane. So much so I really enjoyed it. Would never listen to an album worth of it, but can definitely hear the appeal.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Angus & Julia Stone, Draw Your Swords (2010)

I’m not sure if the word “incandescent” is used in English, but to me this is the word that best describes this song by the Australian brother & sister band. This is the album, Down the way, which made me know them, I love that album. But that song has always seemed special to me. It starts as a nice little ballad, sweet, delicate, but as it moves forward and grows, you can hear a fire burn and suddenly explode, all while keeping a cold melancholy to it.

GEEZER

Red City Radio, Show Me On the Doll where the Music Touched You (2013)

You guys are probably going to fucking hate this. Me on the other hand, this is right up in my wheelhouse. Its an anthemic punk song that is outstanding to sing along to and culminates in a positive message that empowers me every time I hear it. Everything that Red City Radio does best. Hell, I have the "I am a fucking juggernaut" t-shirt. I hope at least the lyrics can uplift your spirit as they do mine.

JOHNERLE

Great Lake Swimmers, The Talking Wind (2018)

As I recently mentioned, I like artists who provide a lot of variety in their sound, but GLS were never one of those bands until 2018 when they mixed up their folk sound by eschewing acoustic guitars for this single that relies almost entirely on woodwinds, and to my surprise it turned out to the be one of the best things they'd ever done.

Also: Side Effects, Falling Apart

LEESTU

The Drones, I See Seaweed (2013)

This is the opening song and title track from The Drones best album, and what a powerful way to start the album. It’s like their warped take on post-rock, but still done in their recognisable and distinctive art rock/punk blues fusion style. Plus, Gareth Liddiard’s vocals are unique and you will be hearing a couple more examples of that later. Also, a must-listen is the closing track to this album, Why Write A Letter That You’ll Never Send. Together they are a great example of how to start and finish an album.

NSPAN

Frank Black, Custom All the Way (2011)

Black Francis + Eric Drew Feldman + Duane Jarvis. One of my favorite Frank Black tracks. Perhaps because it doesn't sound like the Pixies at all. This is Frank's oddball shit through-and-through.

RON B

Gorillaz, Dare (2005)

SCREEN203

Rachel Stevens, Crazy Boys (2005)

This one is obscure, and I fully expect all of you to hate it. I think it's the perfect pop song though. The beat is catchy and futuristic, and her vocals are adequate. I really don't know how to explain what I like about this one so much.

SHRYKE

Owl City, Fireflies (2009)

I appreciate the irony of following up an Audioslave song – rife with Chris Cornell’s angst-ridden and world-weary tones – with this one, which exudes an innocent, almost childlike exuberance. Adam Young’s voice blends well with the electronic playfulness of the melody, and the video is a perfect complement (I had a Speak N’ Spell!). The cool thing is that I will always associate this song with my favorite So You Think You Can Dance auditioner of all time. Seriously, check this out, his story is so amazing and inspiring. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ikwWbiQ68

SIX

Flying Lotus, Parisian Goldfish (2008)

I think I discovered Fly-Lo through a Warp Records anniversary compilation. I was impressed by his ability to fuse electronic abstraction with hip-hop beats, and he does it so well in this incredible piece. I love the droney synths combined with the groovy beats and the clanging cowbell sound. Eric Wareheim directed an amazing music video to accompany the song, but it was banned on Youtube and is only available in low-res on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/4069809)

SURFER

Protomartyr, Scum, Rise! (2014)

Protomartyr have been one of the bands of the last decade, building up an audience across four incredible albums, and developing their own brand of post-punk along the way. What makes this all the more astonishing is that unlike most new acts, singer Joe Casey is no teen prodigy, but instead a frustrated 30-something who finally found an output for his musings. My favourite song of theirs is their kind of breakout hit, Scum, Rise! The song demonstrates Casey's ability to tell detailed, distinct stories about people and worlds (with this song seemingly about the protagonist’s impotent sense of vengeance), which feel almost novelistic, battling against this ferocious energy of the band. It's exciting and exhausting, and a hell of a song to experience live.

TRANSFORMERS

After the Burial, Berzerker (2008)

Here's a case of when the title perfectly matches the content of the song. Berzerker is a frenzied marathon of fretboard-melting guitarwork, pummeling breakdowns and machine gun drumming that doesn't even flirt with slowing down the tempo for the duration of its 5:40 runtime.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#27 playlist

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2NPQt ... YZSopfZxdg

Missing: Rachel Stevens, Crazy Boys (I can see it's available in other countries, but not here, so add it if you can and want to).