Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #30-21

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #30-21

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Peter von Poehl, The Bell Tolls Five (2006)

Peter von Poehl is a Swedish musician that I heard about at the time because he was the opening act of Phoenix. I love his first album, in which you find this song. For a long time my favourite of his was “The Story of the Impossible”, an easier, soft, sweet ballad. But The Bell Tolls Five is the song that grows on you. It mixes soft touches of electro with the strong sound of an orchestra, and it comes out beautifully.

GEEZER

The Menzingers, Mexican Guitars (2012)

Speaking of songs that define my musical taste, there's probably not a better example than this one, or the other four from this album that made this list. Yes, five songs from On the Impossible Past will eventually be featured here. That's probably why I consider it the soundtrack of my 20's. No other album got more play from me over the last decade, and no other group of songs connected to me in such a way, lyrically, musically, the memories I have from listening to them with friends, from seeing them live, everything about that album relates to a piece of my life.

JOHNERLE

Jason Isbell, Hope The High Road (2017)

"There can't be more of them than us, there can't be more"

There's been a surprising lack of anti-Trump protest songs these past few years, possibly because late night talk shows do such a thorough job of satirizing the day's news that there isn't much left for songwriters to talk about once they get into the studio. This song doesn't mention him by name, but instead focuses on the deep divisions in America and the people who still support him.

Also: Cumberland Gap, Tupelo

LEESTU

Parquet Courts, Stoned And Starving (2012)

A fantastic rhythmic beat that allows the guitars to just go crazy and wherever they want. Best experienced live as I’m sure no two versions would be the same.

NSPAN

The Raveonettes, Love in a Trashcan (2005)

A Danish band that does Neo-Doo Wop by way of Lou Reed? On paper, it doesn't necessarily look like a recipe that would work. But then you listen...

RON B

Outkast, Ms. Jackson (2000)

Originally a bit higher up on my list. Still a classic

SCREEN203

Sia, Chandelier (2014)

One of the most powerful pop songs of the past decade, buoyed by Sia's powerful vocals. The last minute or so is particularly memorable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzaYLK3k0DQ&t=34
(for some reason the version Screen chose won't "box up" for us), so here's the video for the song that you don't have to link to:

SHRYKE

Wheatus, Teenage Dirtbag (2000)

I graduated from high school in 1987, but damn if this song doesn’t bring back memories – bullies, isolation, yearning for that unattainable girl, living the fantasy that one day, she’d see the bespectacled nerd as a potential BF… well, it was nostalgia like this that helped me pen my first book, Joshua’s Island, and this song had a lot to do with it. It’s gratuitously corny and sweet (and the video with Jason Biggs and Mena Suvari is totes adorbs), but it’s special to me, so here it is.

SIX

The Rapture, House of Jealous Lovers (2003)

Another song that gets a monthly play due to my half-baked jogging attempts. Yesterday I wrote about Radiohead’s Idioteque being a gateway to electro. I guess this track was a gateway to dance music (sorta). “It’s dance-punk”, I excitedly told my friend in 2003, to which he and his girlfriend responded by spending the evening laughing at me. I stand my genre-labelling ground, and dedicate myself to this track with its limb-shaking beat and its raw, screaming vocals. Only recently did I realise that the genius of this song was all due to the influence of producer James Murphy, and when The Rapture ditched his label DFA Records for a major one, Murphy was so upset that he decided to make his own music instead, and formed LCD Soundsystem.

SURFER

Mitski, Your Best American Girl (2016)

While I have already featured one Mitski song on the countdown, this for me is her magnum opus. From Puberty 2, a record which chronicles the daily attempt to be happy, and grounded in distorted guitar, You're Best American Girl is both familiar and challenging. It harks back to the best of 90s rock while she uses the song as a determined attempt to reclaim her identity from all the heartache she has suffered over her adulthood. Beginning with just her whispered vocals and the gentle strum of the guitar before exploding in the second half, the song evokes all her determined quest for happiness, no matter how unlikely. This kind of song really is universal.

TRANSFORMERS

The Black Dahlia Murder, What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse (2007)

It's all too fitting that a song named after a quote from a Castlevania game by a band whose name was inspired by one of the grizzliest murders in American history sounds so ominous. The guitars evoke the terror of being chased through the woods in the middle of the night, the lyrics are full of brutal slasher imagery and the vocals have a ferocious bite that's akin to a monster stalking its prey.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
Owl City, Fireflies (2009) (always been a guilty pleasure of mine)

Love It

Meh
Angus & Julia Stone, Draw Your Swords (2010) (like the guitar, hate the vocals)
Great Lake Swimmers, The Talking Wind (2018)
Frank Black, Custom All the Way (2011)
Protomartyr, Scum, Rise! (2014) (It's a little too lo-fi for me)
After the Burial, Berzerker (2008) (I guarantee you feel the same way about your songs that I do about mine, and I feel the same way about your songs that everyone else does about mine)

Loathe It
The Drones, I See Seaweed (2013) (I think too many people in this group equate the words “different” and “good”)
Gorillaz, Dare (2005)
Rachel Stevens, Crazy Boys (2005)
Flying Lotus, Parisian Goldfish (2008)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
Parquet Courts, Almost Had To Start A Fight / In and Out Of Patience (2018)
Nelly Furtado, Say It Right (2006)

Love It
Coheed and Cambria, Ten Speed (Of God's Blood and Burial) (2005) (You win this round, tranny! The only Coheed album I ever really dove head first into, and this is probably my second favorite track from it, behind The Suffering)

Meh
Archive, Again (2002) (I gave it a full one minute of my time)
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Life (2006) (The ellipses at the beginning of their name suggests that it is the short version of what they wanted to go with... I wonder what they had in mind for the beginning)
Clinic, Harmony (2002)
Sean Kingston, Fire Burning (2009)
Savages, Adore (2016) (I do appreciate what you had to say about the song. Especially since the song musically is so somber sounding, the contradiction of the lyrics is interesting. I just don't really like it sonically, which is not surprising. I only liked the chorus)
The Kills, Cat Claw (2002)

Loathe It

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
Eminem, Lose Yourself (2002)
Modest Mouse, Float On (2004)
Grizzly Bear, 2 Weeks (2009)
Volbeat feat. Neil Fallon, Die to Live (2019) (That was interesting, more so than anything I'd previously heard from Volbeat. I dug it)
Elliot Smith, Somebody That I Used To Know (2000) (This is way better than that other somebody that I used to know song)

Love It

Meh
Ray Lamontagne, Hey, No Pressure (2016)
Dan the Automator, I Want the Mic (2000)
Tinashe, All Hands On Deck (2014) (God damn girl)
Protest the Hero, C'est La Vie (2011) (I have more fun reading your descriptions than anyone else)

Loathe It
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, The Sorrowful Wife (2001) (I hate you so much)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
Spoon, The Underdog (2007) (I've heard this somewhere, not sure where, tv or a movie or something, but I definitely like it)
Alanis Morissette, Hands Clean (2002) (I'm not a huge fan of Alanis, but this was pretty darn good, Screen)
Perfume Genius, Dark Parts (2012) (This was really nice. The kind of song you can close your eyes to, not because you're falling asleep, we've had plenty of those, but because you are just immersed in the musical storytelling. I like it)

Love It
The Smith Street Band, Young Drunk (2012) (Holy. Shit. How have I not heard of these guys before? This is EXACTLY MY JAM. I will soon be listening to everything this band has ever produced. Thank you so much. Probably my favorite song of the entire collaboration that I hadn't already heard. Hell it might be my favorite even if you include the ones I HAVE heard. I could see this being on a future list of mine. Most songs I only get through a minute, I listened to this back to back twice. Its worth wading through the piles and piles of crap to get a gem like this.)

Meh
M, Qui de nous deux? (2003)
Iron & Wine, Woman King (2005)
Interpol, Obstacle 1 (2001) (not an Interpol song I enjoy much)
Depeche Mode, Freelove (2001)

Loathe It
Radiohead, Idioteque (2000) (Please make it stop)
Death Grips, The Fever (Aye Aye) (2012) (I bet Six fucking loves this nonsensical bullshit)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: This was quite good. Very cinematic in its vibe. Nice!
Geezer: I lost my attention while listening to this, but it's not bad.
John: Protomartyr have very loosely referenced Trump in their last album, but it's not direct. We have lots of the-world-is-fucked songs out, just none naming names. As for this, the music didn't strike me as distinct in any way.
Leetsu: Interesting pick. It's definitely one of Light Up Gold's highlights (the opening tracks being my favs). Very Modern Lovers/Velvet Underground. i've only seen them live once and they were incredible.
NSpan: Like the Hives, I like the music and like the era they're trying to evoke, but they don't do anything different or surprising enough to make we want to relisten.
Ron B: Another contender for our most frequent song. It's decent.
Screen: Thought you already posted this, but then I realise Ron was the culprit. This song makes my hair feel shiny and healthy.
Shryke: I was convinced this was 90s. Close enough. I can't stand the vocals, the lyrics, the video, and the vague attempts to make it urban by jamming some scratching in the background.
Surf: Puberty 2 is a must-have for me. I wrote her off as another indie singer-songwriter but I got into her last record and now must work my way back.
Tranny: Scarier than most horror movies.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
Jason Isbell, Hope The High Road (2017) (Really enjoyed this. There's plenty of anti-Trump songs among the content that I tend to listen to, just fyi. You liked Frank Turner a bit, so here's a good one from him)

Sia, Chandelier (2014)

Love It
Outkast, Ms. Jackson (2000) (Still a banger)
Wheatus, Teenage Dirtbag (2000) (Hell yeah, Shrykey, this song is amazing. Brings back so many good memories of younger days for me. One of my favorites that you've presented by far)

Meh
Peter von Poehl, The Bell Tolls Five (2006)
Parquet Courts, Stoned And Starving (2012) (not bad, but I'm more of a 'get to the point' kinda guy)
The Raveonettes, Love in a Trashcan (2005)
The Rapture, House of Jealous Lovers (2003) (It's a groovy beat but the repetitiveness is too much for me)
Mitski, Your Best American Girl (2016)

Loathe It
The Black Dahlia Murder, What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse (2007) (To quote Marty McFly, that was heavy)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Screen - Chandelier - I just knew, given your penchant for female-driven pop, that this song would be on your list somewhere. My wife adores this song, and I have to admit, I kinda do too. Excellent choice. 8/10

JohnErle - Hope the High Road - For a hot second, I forgot this was your song, John, feeling sure I had clicked on Geezer's by mistake. There's nothing like the occasional workin'-man-blues song to make genuine American pride swell in your chest. We should make MAMGA hats... ("Make American Music Great Again!) :shock: Too soon? 7.5/10

Surfer - Your Best American Girl - Was this song on someone's list earlier, or was that another Mitski song? Either way, I quite liked it. 6.5/10

Geezer - Mexican Guitars - Not bad, but it felt kind of bland compared to some of the other Menzingers' stuff you've posted. 6/10

Ron B - Ms. Jackson - Wow, would not have thought this would appear on three lists. I fully expected Hey Ya to be on more. 6/10

NSpan - Love in a Trashcan - Not bad, but not something I'll revisit. 6/10

Chien - The Bell Tolls Five - Didn't do anything for me. 5.5/10

Leestu - Stoned and Starving - The first half was okay, but the second half did absolutely nothing for me. 5.5/10

Tranny - What a Horrible Night - Nope. (And it's "grisliest", not "grizzliest" - :? Editor brain, can't shut it off.) 4.5/10

Six - House of Jealous Lovers - HATED this last week, won't even listen to it again. 4/10
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shrykespeare wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 4:57 pm

Tranny - What a Horrible Night - Nope. (And it's "grisliest", not "grizzliest" - :? Editor brain, can't shut it off.) 4.5/10
Christ, that's an embarrassing mistake. Clearly I was asleep at the wheel when I was editing that :lol:
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 22 thoughts

Decent round, including a couple of crossovers!

Chien, Peter Van Poehl - Definitely felt like a cut from a movie score, and had a nice kind of eerieness to it, like it could have been part of Air's The Virgin Suicides soundtrack.

Geezer, The Menzingers - Definitely one of the highlights of that record, has a different pace and tone and it works well.

JohnErle, Jason Isbell - Didn't really appeal, Isbell is a name I have heard of before but never listened to. Doesn't really offer anything I think I need in my life.

Leestu, Parquet Courts - PC at their most VU/Sonic Youth-est, nice repetative beat that keeps the momentum going. And yeah, live they are awesome, and never the same. Caught them three times now and different each time.

Nspan, The Raveonettes - More sweet nostalgia that is always a pleasant listen.

Ron, Outkast - As previously mentioned, not my favourite Outkast song, and, like Shryke mentioned I thought Hey Ya would be more evident. It does have a catchy beat, though.

Screen, Sia - Still a decent pop song, good powerful voice though it is featured so heavily on TV I do get a little weary of it every so often.

Shryke, Wheatus - This song has become much more famous nowadays as a bit of fun nostalgia, not that it was ever really a good song, nor do the band care I guess. But it keeps the kids entertained I guess, so who am I to complain!

Six, The Rapture - Our crossovers are starting to build, especially so at the business end of the countdown, which makes sense as I think I probably share my musical tastes most closely with you on here. Great song, and would love to see your jogging playlist!

Tranny, The Black Dahlia Murder - Damn, that was relentless. I agree with your entire description, this is truly the stuff of nightmares!

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The I Love It

Outkast, Ms. Jackson - so I was sort of right guessing this was yours in an earlier mystery round

Wheatus, Teenage Dirtbag - was in my short shortlist, it's one of the go-to karaoke songs for my wife and I, probably the fact that I've just heard it too much made it miss out...shame they never did anything else worthwhile (what I've heard is average at best), there is a band I like (Tiny Little Houses) who were once described by someone as what Wheatus would sound like if they were good :lol:

The Excellent

The Rapture, House of Jealous Lovers - so I was sort of right guessing this was yours in the last mystery round

Peter von Poehl, The Bell Tolls Five - first listen...I really got into this, a lovely build to a beautiful climax

The Very Good

Mitski, Your Best American Girl - probably my favourite of hers...hadn't seen the video before, it suited the song so well

The Raveonettes, Love in a Trashcan - very retro and groovy in a great way

The Good

The Black Dahlia Murder, What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse - first listen...oh man that heavy start is really good...after that I can't help but like this...the vocals make me smile, and there is a good melody in there...strong finish to the song too...I wouldn't seek it out or add it to playlists but I would happily listen to this again

The Okay

The Menzingers, Mexican Guitars - I do like their sound, but this doesn't do as much for me as some of the other tracks of theirs I've heard

Jason Isbell, Hope The High Road - first listen...not really my taste but it's good quality...I am curious to see if there is any Drive-By Truckers coming up, I've been getting into them a little bit lately

The Meh

Sia, Chandelier - I get it, it's a good song, it just bugs me

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Geezer wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 2:14 pm
Love It
The Smith Street Band, Young Drunk (2012) (Holy. Shit. How have I not heard of these guys before? This is EXACTLY MY JAM. I will soon be listening to everything this band has ever produced. Thank you so much. Probably my favorite song of the entire collaboration that I hadn't already heard. Hell it might be my favorite even if you include the ones I HAVE heard. I could see this being on a future list of mine. Most songs I only get through a minute, I listened to this back to back twice. Its worth wading through the piles and piles of crap to get a gem like this.)
I had a feeling the only reason they weren't one of your favourite bands is because you hadn't heard them yet. You are in for a treat. There's plenty more where that came from, and until then there is a couple more coming up before this is over.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Since we're getting into the nitty, and also the gritty, I figure it's time to give each song a more thorough listen before commenting, so expect me to be a little behind each round. What else is new?

M – Je suis desole, mais... non.

The Gaslight Anthem – Much more interesting to me than your usual fare. ADDED

Young Drunk – Listening on shuffle I thought this was Geezer's usual fare. Only the accent seemed different. (I see now that he loved it, which doesn't surprise me.)

Underdog – I've heard it many times before but it never sticks. It's pleasant enough, but that's all. Like the Jam with more compression and less vitality.

Obstacle 1 – Hey look! It's that Interpol song that sounds exactly like every other Interpol song. These guys are the Ramones of indie rock. Fine in small doses, but ultimately too limited in scope for me.

Alanis Morrisette – I can never take her seriously, possibly because I remember her Debbie Gibson phase. I didn't know the story behind the song and certainly didn't get any of that from the lryics I heard. Musically it wasn't interesting enough to make me invest in what the lyrics are actually saying.

DM – I remember this album but don't specifically remember this song. It's definitely more challenging and interesting than your usual radio hits and it fit nicely with Radiohead. ADDED

Idiotheque – See previous comments.

Perfume Genius – You guys convinced me to check out the Too Bright album, which is really good, but this has quite a different sound. It's a little Sufjan Stevens, a little Andrew Bird, but I'm not convinced he'd found his own voice just yet. ADDED anyway.

Death Grips – I didn't like it as much as I've Seen Footage but enough to check out the album. Finally, a hip-hop artist who doesn't conform to the cliches of the genre. I'm a little surprised people even label this as hip-hop. I'll be very disappointed if I read the lyrics and discover it's not as different as it sounds.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Going through what's left in my top 20 I've realized a trend. Probably 3/4 of my remaining songs are overwhelmingly sad. Not that that should particularly surprise any of you, I just found it interesting that when its laid out in front of me, the sad stuff is the stuff I have to greatest emotional connection to. Sorry, Ron, wherever you are.