Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #40-31

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #40-31

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Franz Ferdinand, The Dark of the Matinée (2004)

Everyone usually cites “Take me Out” when discussing Franz Ferdinand, but I’ve always preferred that other song from the debut album of the Scots. There is such energy in that song, perfectly highlighted by soft moments of calms that allow the rhythm to pick up slowly, before the music explodes again for the chorus. And there’s that guitar sound in the background that almost never leaves the song and feels so cool to my ears. Yes, it’s definitely my favorite song of Franz Ferdinand, fantastic song.

GEEZER

The Gaslight Anthem, Great Expectations (2009)

What a freaking way to start off this album. It just wastes absolutely no time showing you what it is, where its going, and what this album was going to be. And what is that you ask? Pure fucking greatness, that's what. A top 5 album of the last 20 years for sure.

JOHNERLE

Sparks, Unaware (2017)

“Wish I could warn her, don't turn that corner, stay unaware of it all.”

If you know anything about Sparks, chances are you know them for their sense of humour, which is partly on display here, but this song is surprisingly poignant, both lyrically and musically, It's about a man looking down at a baby in her crib who understands nothing expect her parents' love, and wishing he could protect her from all the trivial nonsense and sadness that awaits her in the adult world.

Also: Scandinavian Design, One For The Ages

LEESTU

System Of A Down, Chop Suey! (2001)

One of my favourite albums of all time, so when picking which song from this album I had to go with the classic song that started my appreciation of SOAD.

NSPAN

The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Open Heart Surgery (2001)

What a track, what an album. The nostalgia is strong with this one.

RON B

Bluejuice, Vitriol (2007)

SCREEN203

Ingrid Michaelson, Girls Chase Boys (2014)

Most songs on my list are on it for reasons that some may call superficial: the beat, or memories associated with them. This one doesn't really fit in with that. Michaelson has used her platform to make one of the only songs not by Madonna you could hear at a LGBTQ+ Pride festival and your local Kohl's. Musically, the song is more along the lines of Sarah Bareilles than Madonna or her electro-pop contemporaries. The lyrics are clever, and it's one of the rare songs that has to power to change minds.

SHRYKE

UB40, I’ll Be Back (2005)

My favorite reggae song of the millennium (so far), by my favorite reggae band (of all time). People knock the genre because it doesn’t take a lot of chances musically. Maybe so, but when you have multiple instruments – guitar, synth, trumpet, sax, drums, bass – coming together so perfectly, who needs risk? UB40 have been together for FORTY YEARS for a reason. This song wonderfully showcases why.

SIX

The Knife, Heartbeats (2003)

Many bands start off experimental and get more commercial, but The Knife did the opposite, making some very experimental material in recent times. I think I prefer their slightly more poppy side, like this song. It’s a beautiful 80s-indebted synth pop track, a love song about a fleeting relationship and the power it invoked.

SURFER

Sharon Van Etten, Afraid Of Nothing (2014)

I discovered Sharon Van Etten via Epic and found her to be a tender songwriter with an ability to craft an honest song filled with emotion. However, it wasn't until Are We There, a collection of beautiful poetry backed with sombre pianos and guitars, that I was truly enamoured with her. The record is such a delicately beautiful, yet painful album. And for me, the highlight is the opening song, a gut wrenching, sorrowful ode to acceptance within a relationship.

TRANSFORMERS

The Faceless, Legion of the Serpent (2008)

The 2nd entry of the special recurring series of "Noisy, Space-Themed Death Metal Tracks That Will Have You Rushing for the Stop Button" is finally here! I looked back at the comments of when I posted this on our 2010 countdown a few weeks ago and they were hilarious. Hopefully you witty bastards can deliver again.
surf
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

#33 is gonna be quick, because there's only really one song that really clicked with me, and it's Leestu' choice of The Opposite of Us by Big Scary.
A song that manages to be delicate and yet have some sort of rough DNA once you let it slip. It's very unexpected and amazing to listen to, I didn't know that song, great discovery.

Dropkick Murphys was an easy listen, although I'll never get back to it. Same for Heartless Bastards. And maybe Galactic.I didn't like any of the rest.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Geezer, The Gaslight Anthem, Great Expectations : Not something I'd listen to for myself, but it's alright.

John, Sparks : The kind of song that intrigues and makes you want to delve into it again. Interesting.

Leestu, System of a down : I loved your previous choice, and now I strongly dislike this one :lol:

NSpan, Brian Joneston Massacre : Another intriguing song that I'll definitely come back to.

Ron B, Bluejuice : At first I wondered if the video was the right one. It is. I'm not sure I really like it. I think I do.

Screen, Ingrid Michaelson : At first I thought I didn't like it, I don't really like songs that puts you immediately in the chorus, like they're in a rush. But I let it play, and it's still a catchy song easy to listen to.

Shryke, UB40 : There are a fes songs from the 80's or 90's I really like by UB40, but I'm not really familiar with what' they've done this century, and this doesn't really make me more curious.

Six, The Knife : It's the kind of song I like if I listen to it very occasionally, but I would grow tired of quickly.

Surfer, Sharon von Etten : Soft, delicate, trippy, now that's my kind of song, love it.

Tranny, The Faceless : Yeah, no.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Since I re-listened to the bulk of the album this afternoon, there's no better time for me to provide the analysis on Self-Immolation by King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard everyone's been clamoring for ;) For starters, I enjoy the song (and the record) a solid amount. King Gizzard's take on thrash is interesting because they successfully applied the spacey, stoner aesthetic they explored on the majority of the other 82 records they've put out since 2012 to a genre that is built around speed and raw aggression. Those two worlds rarely collide in metal, so it was cool to see an act combine apocalyptic doom elements with the in-your-face guitarwork (the technique they use on the main riff of Self-Immolation is called tapping if anyone was curious) and relentless energy that has been thrash's focal point since the days of Metallica/Megadeth/Slayer. Really my only complaint with their initial thrash offering is that the volume of high quality riffs isn't overly notable. There was only a handful of times I was full-blown headbanging in my living room earlier and that shit just isn't going to cut it on their subsequent metal offerings (if there is any).
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

John and Chien: Well now I'm convinced you boys are in cahoots. Because Franz Ferdinand and Sparks formed a supergroup called FFS and released an album a few years back. Coincidence? I think not. Now where did I put my tinfoil hat? Anyway, Chien, OF COURSE your favourite FF song has a movie tie-in ;) But it is a great song and certainly less overplayed than Take Me Out. My favourite from the record is opening Jacqueline, but it's a damn good album. The Sparks song was surprisingly good. Reading up on them, these guys have been together since the 60s. They were pals with the Doors, for crying out loud. But that song had not only an interesting theme but good music too. Loved the guitar in it. Is there a good intro album of theirs I should try?

Geez: Always heard this song and thought it was the Killers finally becoming the Springsteen tribute act they were destined to become.

Leetsu: It's ridiculous but kinda good ridiculous.

NSpan: Not the best BJM song I've heard, maybe because it's too subdued, but I liked its vibe.

Ron: Don't know em. Song was okay but made better with the video.

Screen: Catchy but insignificant. I imagine there are plenty more songs that play at Kohls and a pride fest - Lady Gaga has a few alone!

Shryke: Sorry, it bored me. But then again, I'm not a fan of any of their songs.

Surf: Interesting choice. I discovered her around this time too, and Taking Chances is my personal favourite. Lovely song, lovely vocals. And just saw her in the movie Never Rarely Sometimes Always.

Tranny: Listening to this is like you're a kid in the back of the car and your parents are having an argument, so your Dad turns on the radio and angrily zooms through the stations, not looking for anything in particular, just to block out the fight. And all we get are bursts of different song from different stations, until your Mom yells at him to "Just turn it off, for Christ's sake!". It feels like you'll never make it to Disneyland.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Awesome

Bluejuice, Vitriol - I loved this song when it first came out...catchy indie pop with a huge helping of lighthearted fun and positivity, that they kept throughout their time...very entertaining live band that put on a show embracing their gimmicky absurdity, with their matching outfits, synchronised dance moves, and crowd interaction that had you laughing and smiling throughout the set

The Great

The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Open Heart Surgery - first listen (to the best of my recall, although it does sound familiar, especially at the start)...nice slice of mellow emotional neo-psychedelia...I must admit I listen to later BJM more as a whole album experience, and don't know much of their earlier material, but this song stands out on its own merits...great vocals and interesting drumming

The Very Good

Franz Ferdinand, The Dark of the Matinée -yes, a very good song...I really do enjoy this whole album

Sparks, Unaware - first listen...cool mix of pop sensibilities, and arty instrumentation...good to know what the song is about, I would have presumed it was about an airhead, but the reality is much better

The Okay

The Gaslight Anthem, Great Expectations - first listen...it's good musically, just too Springsteenish heartland rock and not punk rock for me to enjoy a lot

Sharon Van Etten, Afraid Of Nothing - I can appreciate the beauty of the song

UB40, I’ll Be Back - I don't mind UB40...they just naturally make me chill when I hear them and that's usually a good thing

Ingrid Michaelson, Girls Chase Boys - first listen...it does what it does well

The Meh

The Faceless, Legion of the Serpent - I'm sure I wouldn't have liked this ten years ago whereas now, well, I don't hate it

The Knife, Heartbeats - first listen...I prefer their more experimental side...and the Fever Ray albums

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 3:45 am
Chien, OF COURSE your favourite FF song has a movie tie-in
Really ?? Well I can tell you that this has absolutely nothing to do with my choice because I didn't even know or remember this song has a movie tie-in. Which film ??
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I traditionally associate a matinee with an afternoon film performance.

In retrospect, he was probably singing about a gig in the afternoon, but I stand by my error :D

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Ooooh, I thought you were saying this was a movie song :lol:
Maybe I just like that song because matinée is a French word ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 32 thoughts

Chien, Franz Ferdinand - I honestly forget just how good that first FF record is, literally jam packed with instant catchy hooks and melodies. Not even including the mega hit, you have Jacqueline, Michael, 40', this and my own personal favourite Darts of Pleasure. Really need to crack this out again.

Geezer, The Gaslight Anthem - A little forgettable and safe if I'm honest, the formula is similar to a lot of your picks which explains why you like it I guess. The band have done better, on this album no less.

JohnErle, Sparks - I have listened to a little of Sparks, rare I get through an entire album, but they definitely have an interesting sound. Knew they had been around for a while, just didn't know it was THAT long!

Leestu, SOAD - I discovered the band via Sugar, but this was the song that really made me sit up and take notice. A lot of fun, especially on a night out.

Nspan, Brian Jonestown Massacre - While this is taken from one of my favourite BJM albums, I generally prefer the more Psychedelic sounds of other songs.

Ron, Blue juice - Didn't really stand out and kind of forgotten it already.

Screen, Ingrid Michaelson - Very pop and can see why this would be popular, again just not for me, though.

Shryke, UB40 - Never been a fan dating back to Red Red Wine, and this certainly went no further to change that.

Six, The Knife - I am more familiar with Fever Ray, but this was interesting, and definitely more accessible than I anticipated.

Tranny, The Faceless - Yikes!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Really, really good round today.

Matinee – I agree, I always thought this was at least as good as their big hit. I always thought it was about sneaking into the quiet solitude of a movie theatre for an afternoon matinee, so that may be a subconscious reason why you like it so much.

Gaslight Anthem – Less shouty and more restrained than most of your picks. It still sticks too rigidly to the same formula for my tastes, but I liked it more than usual.

Chop Suey – These guys are way more interesting than I ever gave them credit for. Still not something I'm going to listen to regularly, but they've earned my respect, at least.

Open Heart Surgery, Vitriol, Sharon Von Etten – All good, all ADDED.

Heartbeats – Really fucking good. Really fucking ADDED.

Ingrid Michaelson – I liked that a lot more than most of your choices. I've heard of her before but I'm not sure where. I couldn't help but think of Blur during the chorus, but it was a pretty good song. ADDED

UB40 – Much better than your last UB40 pick, but still a bit too poppy for me.

And then, the metal. That hint of jazzy guitar caught me by surprise before the oh-so-scary demon vocals started, but then I bailed. Is the Legion Of The Serpent affiliated with Duran Duran's Union Of The Snake?

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 3:45 am

The Sparks song was surprisingly good. Reading up on them, these guys have been together since the 60s. They were pals with the Doors, for crying out loud. But that song had not only an interesting theme but good music too. Loved the guitar in it. Is there a good intro album of theirs I should try?
For anyone reading this who is more into a full album experience I would definitely recommend The Seduction Of Ingmar Bergman, which should also appeal to your film buff side. I have a few more songs of theirs coming up that will give you samples from their other albums this millennium, but there was no way to include anything from The Seduction since it's an hour-long rock opera that tells the story of Ingmar Bergman having a Kafka-esque nightmare in which he's aggressively pursued by a Hollywood studio, so removing any small bits from it wouldn't work out of context. If you'd rather have a taste of the old stuff you can't go wrong with Kimono My House which is the pinnacle of their early glam rock sound.

And Leestu, I also thought it was about a ditzy woman until I read the lyric sheet, so I'm glad I included that description. Rusell's falsetto in the bridge makes it hard to hear what he's singing about.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Screen - Girls Chase Boys - LOVE this song. Heard it before. Love the voice, the catchy melody, everything. Great choice. 8/10

Ron B - Vitriol - Delightfully weird, and so fucking catchy. Loved it. 7.5/10

NSpan - Open Heart Surgery - Hmm. Dude has a definite Robert Smith quality to his voice that I like. The guitars were straight out of a Tarantino movie. Interesting combination. 7/10

Chien - The Dark of the Matinee - I like FF, but I've yet to hear anything from them that stands out as much as "Take Me Out." This was pretty good. 6.5/10

Six - Heartbeats - Not a bad listen at all. 6.5/10

Geezer - Great Expectations - Not bad, but I'll have forgotten it by tomorrow. 6/10

Leestu - Chop Suey - I like a few SOAD songs. This isn't really one of them. 6/10

Surfer - Afraid of Nothing - A little too moany for me. 5.5/10

JohnErle - Unaware - Didn't affect me at all. 5.5/10

Tranny - Legion of the Serpent - Get that man a lozenge. 5/10

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

#31 bumped to next page.