Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #40-31

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #40-31

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Arcade Fire, Everything Now (2017)

Every time a band gets a strong following, their fans expect a distinct, and familiar sound to their favorite band, and when that band tries something else, the response of the fans isn’t glorious.But I tend to love it when an artists gets out of his/her comfort zone and of the expectations surrounding them. I feel like this is what happened with the album “Everything now” by Arcade Fire, but on my part, I love it, and especially the title “Everything Now”. It feels like a crazy song for Arcade Fire, but there is so much music in it, such an energy, such a joy. And no matter what the Arcade Fire fans think, I love that pan flute.

GEEZER

Bad Religion, Sorrow (2002)

These legends of pop punk date back to the 80's and they are still doing it today, putting on a hell of a show. They were better and more consistent back then, but this song is definitely my favorite from this century.

JOHNERLE

Death Cab For Cutie, I Will Follow You Into The Dark (2005)

Definitely the most beautiful song to ever mention Calgary. Quite possibly the only song to ever mention Calgary.

Also: Summer Skin, Marching Bands Of Manhattan

The above link didn't work for me, so I used this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDHY1D0tKRA

LEESTU

Grouplove, Colours (2011)

Fusing typical indie pop elements of the time with indie rock elements a la Modest Mouse for a catchy song that is a little bit dark but ultimately a positive uplifting song.

NSPAN

Rapture, The Devil (2006)

A standout track from a standout album. These Brooklyn kids know how to rock.

RON B

Eminem, Stan (2000)

SCREEN203

see further down the page.

SHRYKE

Onerepublic, Love Runs Out (2014)

Not really a fan of this group, but any singer or group can get lucky if they hit all the marks, and this song does for me. I love the fast pace, the vocals, all of it. It’s one of those songs that gets in your brain, the kind of song you can hit repeat on for two straight hours (yeah, I’ve done that).

SIX

Sufjan Stevens, The Owl and the Tanager (2010)

This is very much a lesser-known and under-appreciated song from this millennium’s best singer-songwriter. While everything from Illinois deserves a place in a Top 100, I’ve a softness for this track taken from the under-rated All Delighted People EP. It’s Sufjan at his best. It’s a tale of very young love, not quite understood, but full of passion and pain, with some harsh truths delivered with such beauty. Sufjan’s vocals are so full of drama and heartache that they’re often a whisper or the call of a bird, the music delicate and light while occasionally breaking out as the emotions swell.

SURFER

At The Drive In, Invalid Litter Dept. (2000)

I can recall going to a festival back at the beginning of the millennium, and was excited to witness the likes of Beck, Primal Scream and QOTSA to name just a few. However, upon arriving at the festival word got out pretty quickly about the buzz surrounding a little band playing the smallest stage that weekend. An unknown entity called At The Drive-In. I had no idea who these guys were, but felt compelled to check them out. I got to the tent fairly early, but even then the crowd was beginning to bulge and by the time the band came on stage the audience extended way beyond the limits of the tent. What I then witnessed was one of the most intense and exciting live performances I have, and probably will ever, see. As soon as I got home I made sure to buy the album and became obsessed with the post hardcore sound of these central American magicians. The centre piece of that record displays the band that I witnessed that end of summer weekend in all its glory; a true assault of my senses as they the attack the ongoing murders of hundreds of women in the Mexican city of Ciudad Juárez. And every time I hear it I am transported back to that overcrowded tent and the ferocity within.

TRANSFORMERS

Vince Staples, Norf Norf (2015)

Vince Staples has a gift for making visceral hip-hop that burrows into the brain and soul with equal precision. Here he uses a cold, stern flow and ominous beat to paint a harrowing picture of life in the Long Beach, California neighborhood he was raised in.

Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#35 playlist

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6JfSs ... T5Z0cJK4sg

I didn't add Screen's pick as it was already his #37 pick

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 36 thoughts

Not that I matters, but I think I got 5 right, I guessed Screen correct too. I think JohnErle did so well as he had the YYY pick, which I guess is the one which threw so many of us off as it could quite feasibly have been a couple of others picks, and that just caused a snowball of incorrect picks.

I seemed to have a circle of incorrect answers - John, six and Chien, who I just put in the wrong order, while I mixed up Geezer and Ron. Other than that I think I did OK this round considering my initial pessimism.

Got to say, really enjoyed this round for the most part, lots of variety but all good stuff.

Chien, David Bowie - Not really familiar with this era of Bowie, haven't invested in Heathen at all really, was like a nice balance between earlier Bowie and the later stuff. Any Bowie is good Bowie and this was very nice.

JohnErle, Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Such a great song, reminds me how good that first record of theirs was as they balanced out the punk aspects of their sounds with more pop elements.

Geezer, Young M.A - Not really my thing.

Leestu, Tool - One of the highlights of 20th Century Tool, heavy enough with enough more sombre moments to balance it out. Great driving rhythm.

Ron, Outkast - Not sure how many times this has appeared now, but it is not surprising and fully deserved. On another day it may have made my own countdown, such a funky vibe. Had my little boy shaking it like a Polaroid picture!

Nspan, Gram Rabbit - Think I possibly preferred your earlier song, but it was fun, reminded me a little of Siouxie.

Screen, Lil Dickie, Brendan Urie - Probably more pleasant than most Panic At The Disco stuff, had some nice production on the track.

Shryke, Gnarls Barkley - Great that we had this on the same day as Outkast, they are two songs that work well together despite their very different tempos. Been a while since I have listened to it as it was certainly overplayed for a while, but very welcome now.

six, Mistaken For Strangers - One of the highlights of Boxer, a slightly faster track has a great rhythm to it, Beringer's vocals are top notch too.

Tranny, Killswitch Engage - This was actually very listenable, which was surprising despite the vocals. The music build up nicely into something quite interesting.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#36 Congrats John on an impressive result, and well done to Surfer, and Tranny for getting my pick correct. Personally I think it's a very me song but it could also have belonged to a couple of others, and there were four other songs that theoretically could have been mine. There were a few songs like that hence the difficulty of this round (justifying my score of 1 here :oops: :lol: )

The I Love It

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Maps - I had this as Six for sure. Oh well, happy to be wrong and see someone else choose this song. Our second crossover that I know about.

Outkast, Hey Ya - This seemed to me to be the only song that could have been Geezer's. Great fun song, from a disappointing overlong album with only a few highlights

The Excellent

David Bowie, Slip Away - I had this as Chien or John, but I had nothing else for John so I went the wrong way here. I didn't expect to see any Bowie from this under-rated album but it's a great pick. He is in fine form here, especially the excellent vocal performance.

The Very Good

The National, Mistaken for Strangers - This could have been a few people's pick. I went for Surfer I think...Along with Fake Empire, the best song on the album..."You get mistaken for strangers by your own friends, When you pass them at night" is one of my favourite lyrics from The National...some of you might not like this but there's a hint of the way Will Toledo sometimes sounds in Matt's vocals here.

Wilco, Hummingbird - I had Wilco or The National, for Surfer and went the wrong way...a really good song, but Spiders (Kidsmoke) is the highlight from this album for me

The Good

Gram Rabbit, Off With Your Head - I am sure I remember this from previous countdowns...fun little song

The Okay

Lil Dicky, Molly - This stumped me. I could not work out who would have picked this. I ended up guessing Screen, solely because he is about the same age as my kids, and they got right into Lil Dicky for a while. I think I've been force fed all of his songs. I like the sentiment in this song, but it sort of needs the video as well, and I think I prefer his humourous work, but he is clearly talented and I think his song with Snoop Dogg is actually very clever and extremely well done.

The Meh

Gnarls Barkley, Crazy - I thought this was too obviously Shryke to be his choice...I outthunk myself...plus it was a huge hit in Australia so I wouldn't have been surprised if it was Ron's...I never got into this song and didn't understand why it was so huge, I still don't really

Young M.A., OOOUUU - first listen...I had already given Lil Dicky to Screen so Tranny was the only other one this could have been...the getting the Lil Dicky wrong flow on effect cost me...I like her voice but those lyrics are cringey

Killswitch Engage, The Element of One - first listen...again I outthunk myself and thought this was too obviously Tranny to be Tranny...and despite the occasional growling I could see a Disturbed fan like Shryke getting into the music...personally I don't think I like the genre of metalcore much, it's like the elements of metal that I don't like, without the ones I do

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Goddamn it, I totally screwed that one up.

Chien: Didn't think this would be you, although to be honest I struggled to think who would put a song from one of Bowie's weakest records. I thought Shryke might be guilty, but went with Leetsu for some reason. The song itself wasn't bad but not a patch on anything from Blackstar.

Geez: What the hell. Actually, there was no song that fitting into your taste and that really threw me. Particularly because you've vocally disliked pretty much all hip-hop so far. This sounded like a Shryke song because it's hip-hop with pop sensibilities, and he can go for those Billboard 100 songs.

JohnE: I was convinced this was Surf's song. Guess he'll have this coming later in the list? Didn't quite associate this song with you, but good choice. It's beautiful.

Leetsu: You bastard. I was convinced this was Ron's pick because he's such a Tool fan. I knew Bowie wasn't quite right. Anyway, this was pretty decent.

NSpan: No doubts this was your pick.

Ron B: Hey Ya is one of those tracks that could have been anyone's. Can't believe this is the first time it appeared. Surely it won't be the last. It's great.

Screen: Yeah, this sounded like a Screen song, with its trap style. Not for me.

Shryke: In retrospect this makes sense, but I figured Lil Dicky couldn't be anyone else's but yours, Screen's, or Tranny's, so it slotted in perfectly. This song was everywhere for a while and although it's not bad, I can't say I missed it.

Surf: Dang. I gave this to John becuase he already had a song fromt he album, and it sounded more like him. But I also know this is your favourite Wilco album, so should have went for that. It's a lovely song.

Tranny: Yeah, even reading the name I kinda figured this was one of your songs.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: Surprised to see this for a second time, and so far zilch from Neon Bible, The Suburbs, or Reflektor. It's good, and I even came to accept those Eurosong panpipes.
Geez: Sounds like a band who has been around for a long time trying to relive past glories.
John: Lovely sentiment and very earnest, though the music didn't stick with me
Leetsu: This was decent. Glad you mentioned Modest Mouse, as this does indeed sound like them.
NSpan: That's the 3rd song from Pieces of the People We Love? Hope there's some Echoes love. This is one of the best from the album. Love his Brazilian orgasm at the 2:40 mark.
Eminem: Now this has dated. Mostly because of the Dido sample. But also in this day and age absolutely nobody would be obsessed with eminem as the fictional Stan was.
Screen: 3 times in a row? That song isn't that good ;)
Shryke: It's pop meets blues. No thanks.
Surf: The quality of that link was poor! But the song itself was decent. Got a 90s alt rock vibe to it. Got a Steve Albini sensibility to it. Good stuff.
Tranny: The kid has flow, that's for sure, although the music was a little too non-existent.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The I Love It

At The Drive In, Invalid Litter Dept. - fantastic song...I would have loved to have seen this band live

Eminem, Stan - didn't make my list, probably because I have just heard it waaaayyy too much, but at the time I loved the lyrics, the story, the angry emotion, and the Dido feature

The Great

Arcade Fire, Everything Now - hear hear Chien, well said! Especially considering this isn't even the best song from their best album ;)

The Good

Bad Religion, Sorrow - I used to share a house with a skate punk in the mid '90s and every morning I would be woken by him blaring Bad Religion, Pennywise, or NOFX, and every now and then Offspring, but even though it was NOFX I got right into Bad Religion and Pennywise grew on me too, and I've seen all of them live once. This has their distinctive within a non distinctive genre guitar style and sound, but the vocals seem really restrained here, compared to their earlier material, which lets the song down. Good lyrics though.

Rapture, The Devil - first listen...This the sort of song I'm sure would grow on me with familiarity...I need to listen to this album

Vince Staples, Norf Norf - not bad but after two Vince Staples songs so far, but Blue Suede better be coming up...easily the Vince Staples stand out song

The Okay

Death Cab For Cutie, I Will Follow You Into The Dark - This is my best mates favourite song of all time, so it's not through a lack of trying that i don't get into this song. I appreciate the lyrics and message, but because I'm not a tragic romantic I just don't buy into the song on a personal level, and musically while nice, it's nothing extra special.

Sufjan Stevens, The Owl and the Tanager - first listen...like a lot of Sufjan it doesn't do much for me

Onerepublic, Love Runs Out- I find it difficult to listen to the same song in a row twice, even if it's a favourite song, let alone two hours...this has a bluesy feel to it's pop that I like but unfortunately it's till too poppy for me

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 35 thoughts

Chien, Arcade Fire - There is so much good Arcade Fire, that even their lesser stuff, as present here, is still pretty decent. Such a letdown of an album overall though, they had released album after album of exquisite pop and rock, the run had to end at some point I guess. Yet they had already experimented with Reflektor from their familiar sound and been received well, this just wasn't that good an album.

Geezer, Bad Religion - Not denying their role in influencing so many of the pop punk of the 90s, but have never really been a fan. And yet this is not even a batch on their old stuff, sounds more like a poor imitation of that work, much like the worst bands they inspired.

JohnErle, Death Cab For Cutie - One of the better slow songs that band have done, but when it comes to Death Cab I would have had anything from We Have The Facts or Transatlanticism ahead of this.

Leestu, Grouplove - Yes, their is definitely a Modest Mouse vibe here. Doesn't quite have the same wit or experimental elements as the group, but had a nice rousing sound to it all.

Ron, Eminem feat. Dido - Was never really a fan of Eminem, never a fan of Dido, and never a fan of this song. The beat is barely existant, and overall it was so overplayed that paid a good part in me really loathing this song.

Nspan, The Rapture - Yeah, I am surprised we haven't heard anything from Echoes yet, but everything I have heard from this record, which I still haven't gotten around to listening to yet, has been pretty good, this included.

Screen, TBA

Shryke, One Republic - It's basically male Adele, isn't it? Not for me.

six, Sufjan Stevens - I've never explored this EP, those vocals are immense. Music didn't really do enough to suggest I could ever prefer this to some of my favourites, though.

Tranny, Vince Staples - Didn't really appeal in any way, sorry.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Geezer wrote:
April 16th, 2020, 9:14 pm
At least I wasn't the free space on the bingo card this time!
:lol:

Yeah, Gram Rabbit was definitely the $100 Celebrity Jeopardy answer this time. I'm proud to be crowned king of the lucky guessers for a day.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Tool – See? See? Tool didn't need crazy levels of compression in order to sound badass. Here's a band that managed to appeal equally to headbangers, critics, and audiophiles.

Gram Rabbit – Pretty good tune, pretty flat production. ADDED

Mistaken For Strangers – Probably my favourite of theirs.

Wilco – You know how Six feels about older bands who start doing bluesy rock? I kinda feel the same way about bands who hit middle age and start sounding like the Beatles. It's a lazy, obvious, fall back position.

Bowie – One thing I always respected about Bowie was how he was constantly evolving. This is one of the rare times when he seemed to be repeating himself. It was fine but mostly just made me want to hear the old stuff.

Crazy – A huge hit I remarkably never got sick of.

Hey Ya - A huge hit which is more tolerable than most huge hits, but just barely.

Molly – A bit different from most hip-hop, but not for me. That radio-friendly chorus made me think it might be Shryke's

Killswitch Engage – Mute Engaged

Young MA – Everything I hate about hip-hop condensed into four unbearable minutes

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I really thought I had done better than that in this mystery round.
No real shocker though from the results of who chose what. My biggest surprise maybe was that Tool song from Leestu.

Geezer, Lil Dicky : I thought this was Screener, and Screener's choice was yours. Dammit. I thought, yeah, why not, until tht other voice came and changed it into something I won't ever listen again.

John, Yeah Yeah Yeahs : I gave that to Six, even though deep down I knew Six had chosen Mistaken for Strangers. I thought yours was the Wilco song. I didn't know that yeah Yeah Yeahs song before the countdown, but it seems everyone adores it, and it's a good song for sure.

Leestu, Tool : I'm baffled everyone loves this, I'm really not into it, it sounds like those semi-level metal songs from the 90's, not my cup of tea at all.

NSpan, Gram Rabbit : one of the easiest to find. Not convinced b what I heard from them for now.

Ron, Hey Ya : Once again, Hey Ya, fun song, never did much to me, but an easy listen.

Screen, Young MA : Meh. Not my kind of rap.

Shryke, Gnarls Barkley : A very cool hit, to be honest I had forgotten about that song and hadn't heard it in a long while, but it's still very effective on the ear.

Six, Mistaken for Strangers : Fantastic song from a fantastic band. When I saw it appear on the mystery round, I thought "Everyone's gonna thinks it's my pick".

Surfer, Wilco : I'm not familiar with Wilco to be honest, but this was probably my favorite song of this mystery round, bar Mistaken for Strangers but which I already knew.

Tranny : Killswitch engage : Easiest song to figure out. Still not my type.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Fuck fuck fuck.

Screen sending me one song per day has thrown me off. I didn't even realize I had posted Disclosure/Lorde twice for him.

HERE is Screen's #35.

Lana Del Rey, West Coast (2014)

The sense of glamor over this hazy surf-rock influenced tune could have only been pulled off by Del Rey. The black and white music video is great too, adding to a mix of throwback and modern styles.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Jeez Surfer, did I do something to piss you off lately? I feel like you've been particularly snarky towards my picks (even when you don't correctly attribute which one was my mystery round even after the answers were revealed!) You keep it up you might just hurt my feelings :lol:
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Chien - Everything Now - I've only heard a handful of Arcade Fire, but clearly I near to hear more. This is a great song, right in my wheelhouse. What album would you recommend I start with? 8/10

Ron B - Stan - Ton o' bricks. Every time. 7/10

Geezer - Sorrow - Good song. Typical Geezer fare. 6.5/10

JohnErle - I Will Follow You Into the Dark - Unlike Arcade Fire, I've heard quite a bit of DCFC, and not liked most of it. This was very nice. 6.5/10

NSpan - The Devil - Liked it. Great beat and you can dance to it. I give it a 6.5, Dick! (hopefully you're old enough to get that reference...)

Leestu - Colours - Not bad, just... weird. And the video... fucking grisly. 6/10

Six - The Owl and the Tanager - Very pretty, but somewhat yawn-inducing. 6/10

Screen - West Coast - She has a nice voice, but the song itself didn't do much for me. Summertime is better. 5/10

Surfer - Invalid Litter Dept. - Sorry, dude, the talking/ranting parts kind of ruined the rest of the song... which wasn't that great to begin with. 4.5/10

Tranny - Norf Norf - Nope nope. 4/10

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Geezer wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 4:31 pm
Jeez Surfer, did I do something to piss you off lately? I feel like you've been particularly snarky towards my picks (even when you don't correctly attribute which one was my mystery round even after the answers were revealed!) You keep it up you might just hurt my feelings :lol:
Stand aside, Surf, I'll take over...