Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #40-31

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #40-31

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 39 thoughts

Chien, Sebastian Tellier - Quiet a development in the song. Wasn't interested at all by the more sombre beginning, but as soon as the synths came to the fore it became far more interesting, much like the best of French electro. Shame it slowed down again before the end.

Geezer, SOAD - Was not what I would expect from the band, though I would take anything from Toxicity over it. In fact, they did slow so much better with Aerials.

JohnErle, The White Stripes - By far my favourite from the album (though the record is astonishing), always thought of it as a little breather. However, the lyrics are so sweet. In fact, so much so that we have a children's book by Jack White which added illustrations to the whole song, it's such a great little book to read to the children.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/4s2ap2-SEd0[/youtube]

Leestu, FIDLAR - Can imagine it as a pub singalong, but didn't really appeal to me, nice funky beat, but doubt I will explore further.

Nspan, Foxygen - I seem to recall you picking this (or something from the Foxygen) in a previous countdown and loving it, so much so I bought the album. Has a great little Velvet Underground vibe to it, and then the Stones vocals kick in too. Good stuff.

Ron, Radiohead - I'm surprised to see so much love to songs from Hail To The Thief, as although there are quality songs on there, I would have thought the likes of Kid A, In Rainbows and Amnesiac would have had far more representation so far. Still, this is a great song, love the twang of the guitar on this.

Screen, KSHMR - Nah, not for me. Sounds like a club classic from Ministry of Sound.

Shryke, Within Temptation - If anything, this countdown has taught me this is definitely your type of song for the millennium. Shame it is not for me, though. If it wasn't for your comments, I would have been fully expecting to see Evanescence and The Rasmus very high on your list!

Six, Nick Cave - To be honest I haven't listened to this album nearly enough, but this was lovely, marking a departure from Dig Lazarus Dig but providing an insight into the way his music would develop over the following decade.

Tranny, The Mars Volta - Ha! Great to see this appear again. Seeing the band appear at all is a surprise, but the same song, I thought I was alone in having that down as the best song of a very good record. And for those who have mentioned it, the song is in fact broken down into 4 segments on the album sleeve, so well acknowledged!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Rufus – Nice synths and shades of Vangelis. He does sound like Chris Martin at times, but it works anyway. ADDED

Johnny Cash – I loved The Man Comes Around, but I don't think I ever heard this one before. It was okay, but hard to imagine as a Sting song.

King Gizzard – It started off great but the transition into a jam session lost me. Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but that yelp sounded exactly like the Oh Sees. It's easy to release so many albums if you tack a ten-minute jam session onto the end of every song for no apparent reason.

Ryan Adams – I liked Whiskeytown when I knew nothing about Ryan Adams as a person, but as soon as he went solo he struck me as a poseur, and the more I learned about him the less I liked him. This was never more than meh for me.

Audioslave – Remember that Philip Seymour Hoffman as Lester Bangs rant from Almost Famous about the industry of cool? For me, Audioslave perfectly embodies what that was talking about.

Mike Krol – I'm going to assume you were being sarcastic. Some decent riffs, but pretty generic bedroom indie rock.

Meg Myers – Evanescence was a guilty pleasure for about six months. I doubt this will ever rise to guilty pleasure status.

Dillinger Escape Plan – I liked that a lot more than I expected. It sounds like something I would have enjoyed during my final years listening to modern rock radio, before bands like Bush, Live, and Creed chased me away for good.

Ween – It's okay, but I feel like lots of 90s Britpop bands did a better job of aping the Beatles.

Fall Out Boy – Didn't like it at all, but it does make me wonder if you know a Canadian band called Treble Charger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpq9rT6wifQ

Go To Sleep – I've never listened to a full Radiohead album on purpose, but if I ever do it'll be this one. I always liked the shades of Led Zeppelin in those guitars.

Foxygen – You do seem to like stuff that wears its influences as a badge of honour. This is good enough to stand on its own while sounding very familiar. ADDED

Roulette – That doesn't sound like anything I expected from SOAD or you. These guys are more versatile than I assumed. I didn't mind it at all, and it might even grow on me. ADDED.

Jubilee Street – I like about 10% of Nick Cave's stuff. When it was new I thought it was good enough to warrant airplay on DRR.

L'Amour et le Vangelis – I never expected so many Blade Runner-style synths to appear in this countdown. That was the only part of this I liked.

Sleater-Kinney – Remember when Spinal Tap first came out and the idea of cranking things to 11 was a joke? Good times. Now even critically adored indie bands do it and people inexplicably rave about it.

Stand My Ground – As I just mentioned, I liked Evenasence for a while. This is nothing more than a blatant rip-off with a grossly inferior singer.

Fidlar – A pet peeve of mine is singers laughing at their own lame jokes that were probably written months earlier. I wonder how many takes it took to get that laugh sounding suitably off-the-cuff. Same goes for that Outkast song that's appeared a couple of times. The funky parts were okay if a bit Smash Mouth via Chumbawumba.

Mars Volta – Like Coheed & Cambira, I dabbled in these guys for a while, and I can tolerate them in small doses, but they rarely offer small doses.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Surfer - Jumpers - I've grown to like SK in the limited time I've known about them. I'll never be as big a fan as Leetu, but this was really good. 7/10

JohnErle - We Are Going to Be Friends - Not bad, but not something I'm going to remember in a week. 6.5/10

Chien - L’amour et la Violence - I like the synths, and the guy's got a good voice. I didn't care as much that I didn't understand the lyrics this time. 6.5/10

Six - Jubilee Street - I usually don't like music this fucking somber unless it's Bowie. But dammit, this one got me. I kind of hate you right now. 6.5/10

Leestu - By Myself - Hated the beginning, but this definitely grew on me by the end. 6/10

Geezer - Roulette - This is the most un-SOAD SOAD song I've ever heard. Granted, no band can sustain themselves on five-minute screamathons (hmmm, given Tranny's playlist, maybe they can), but such a huge departure from what I'm used to really threw me. It's a good song, but not sure if it will stick with me. 6/10

Ron B - Radiohead is so hit or miss with me. This song, somehow, did neither. 6/10

NSpan - No Destruction - Whoa, lots of Dylan influence in there. It was okay. 5.5/10

Screen - Memories - Just okay. 5.5/10

Tranny - Cygnus..Something Something - Sorry dude, I sat through this song once this year. That was enough. 4.5/10
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Daft Punk, Within (2013)

This isn’t one of the big hits of Daft Punk, but one that had one of the biggest impact on me, obviously. I think what drew me to that song instantly was the sheer simplicity of it, while their music can sometimes be more elaborated in terms of electro music, this is basically just a piece of piano and that strange robotic voice that still clearly tells you you’re in Daft Punk territory.

GEEZER

Green Day, Jesus of Suburbia (2004)

This is surely the longest song on my countdown, although its really a medley of a bunch of different songs thrown into one. It may just be Green Day's magnum opus. Nine minutes of sonic delight that drives this album from great to stratospheric levels of excellence. I hope I'm not the only one who agrees. When I got to see them a few years ago they played it and it was just a euphoric moment for me. I hope they do it again when I see them in August (if we're allowed social gatherings by then!)

JOHNERLE

Shearwater, Black Eyes (2010)

When I said “You As You Were” was a more commercial version of the early Shearwater sound, this is the main song I was comparing it to.

Also: Landscape At Speed, Seventy Four, Seventy Five

LEESTU

Ball Park Music, Pariah (2016)

Some nice, trippy, neo-psychedelia to lose yourself in, or groove along to, or preferably both (as I did when I saw them perform this song live) from King Ball Park Gizzard and the Radiohead Impala.

NSPAN

Zoot Woman, Living in a Magazine (2001)

Title-track from their Kraftwerk-inspired debut album. I think of these guys as Phoenix's musical cousins. Zoot Woman leans just slightly more heavily on the synth-pop sound. So if you dig Phoenix at all, definitely give these guys a chance.

RON B

Phoenix, 1901 (2009)

SCREEN203

(I will fill this in when he sends it to me)

SHRYKE

Tori Amos, Taxi Ride (2004)

Why do I love Tori Amos? Apart from her amazing voice and prodigious piano playing, she is one of the best lyricists I could possibly name. Case in point:

You think you deserve a trust fund
Just because you want one
Sure you talk the talk when you need to
I fear the whole world is starting to believe you
Just another dead fag to you that's all
Just another light missing in a long taxi line

And I'm down to your last cigarette and
This "we are one" crap as you're invading
This thing you call love
She smiles way too much but I'm glad you're
On my side, sure
I'm glad you're on my side still

SIX

Tom Waits, Hoist that Rag (2004)

I’m joining those of you who love an artist so much that even his lesser, later work will sneak into a Best of the Millennium list. Waits has had a hell of a career, carving out a unique corner of clanking industrial blues. While his last two albums haven’t quite reached the peaks of his 80s output (which were, to be fair, three of the best albums of all time), he still can fire out some nuggets (Coen Bros reference there). In particular this song, a jaunty number with some incredible guitar work from Marc Ribot while Tom phlegms up his trademark witty lyrics.

SURFER

Lucy Dacus, I Don't Wanna Be Funny Anymore (2016)

I discovered Lucy Dacus a couple of years ago on the back of her second record, but in the process delved into her first album and became infatuated with her warm, comforting voice and guitar lines that immediately become earworms. The most addictive of these earworms for me was this song, a charming, introspective song that reveals how stressful it is to be pegged as a certain type of person and feel the need to always live up to that identity. It is a song filled with wit and insightfulness, while maintaining a human level of scope throughout.

TRANSFORMERS

Protest the Hero, Blindfolds Aside (2007)

"Blindfolds Aside" serves as the climax of the 2nd part of a 3 part concept album about the people that are involved in the process of executing a death row inmate (a priest, the prison guard, the inmate). This song is told from the perspective of the guard performing the execution and despite the fact that his job haunts him, he continues to do it because it pays the bills. In addition to be a fascinating commentary on a subject that isn't really addressed, it's a relentlessly energetic and absurdly catchy song that is impossible for me to turn away from.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The I Love It

Green Day, Jesus of Suburbia - a family favourite here

The Excellent

Tom Waits, Hoist that Rag - first listen...love how dirty and brutal this sounds, with his Tom Wait vocals turned up, and then getting caught up in the rhythms later in the song

The Very Good

Lucy Dacus, I Don't Wanna Be Funny Anymore - first listen...great singer/songwriter...needs a bit more recognition I think...not that I've heard her debut but Historian was a great album that got a few spins from me and recommendations to others

Phoenix, 1901- first listen...this was really good...I think they might be starting to grow on me

The Good

Daft Punk, Within - first listen...I think I prefer minimalist Daft Punk because this was a nice piece of music

Zoot Woman, Living in a Magazine - first listen...an interesting listen that did have me tapping my foot while listening to the sound they were creating...but I preferred the Phoenix song today

The Okay

Protest the Hero, Blindfolds Aside - first listen...interesting concept but I would probably need to read along to get them all...musically a bit too much for me to choose to listen to, and to state the obvious I wasn't expecting that ending

Tori Amos, Taxi Ride - the dramatic vocals were good, not that keen on the music really

Shearwater, Black Eyes - first listen... the music was good, not that keen on the dramatic vocals really...I think I prefer the commercial Shearwater

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: I was waiting for some of that Daft Punk magic but it never arrived. It's not bad, but I think this probably works best as a sort of break in the album.
Geez: Not bad at all. It plays like a Best Of Green Day, condensed into a single song. Now I never have to listen to another one.
John: Another decent song. Heavier than expected. Vocals were a little hair metal, but in a good way.
Leetsu: Definitely getting the Radiohead vibe here, especially their Krautrock-inspired songs. Enjoyable stuff.
NSpan and Ron: Talk abotu good timing. I have to say, the Phoenix song was way better. Zoot Woman was okay but it feels dated and not that distinct. Whereas I'm not that itno Phoenix but I'd gladly listen to 1901 again.
Shryke: Like Leetsu, I respect Tori's vocals and lyrics, but the music doesn't do enough for me.
Surf: This was a little underwhelming, I'm sorry to say. Nice theme, but the music was a little bland. Sounded like if Kristen Schaal tried to do a legit indie rock record
Tranny: One of the metal songs I just couldn't get into, even with the surprise female vocals

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
Phoenix, 1901 (2009) (This band must be fucking rich with the amount of times I've heard their music apparently featured in commercials)

Love It

Meh
Daft Punk, Within (2013)
Shearwater, Black Eyes (2010)
Ball Park Music, Pariah (2016)
Tori Amos, Taxi Ride (2004)
Lucy Dacus, I Don't Wanna Be Funny Anymore (2016) (Sounds a lot like a lot of your picks, kinda slow, indie, female vocalist. Starting to become indistinguishable to my under-trained ear, if I'm being honest)
Protest the Hero, Blindfolds Aside (2007)

Loathe It
Zoot Woman, Living in a Magazine (2001)
Tom Waits, Hoist that Rag (2004) (One day I'll figure out who is worse, Tom Waits, or Nick Cave)
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I forgot to mention earlier that We're Going To Be Friends has one of my top 10 misheard lyrics of all time. For years I thought he was singing “Teacher knocks our hides against the wall” which gave the song a much darker undercurrent than Jack White ever intended.

This might be my favourite round so far. A lot of quality stuff here and very little I hated!

Jesus Of Suburbia – Classic.

1901 – Classic.

Lucy Dacus – This is one of the better songs you guys have introduced me to in the past, but there wasn't anything else on the album I liked so it missed the cut.

Tom Waits – He's been acting so much this millennium it seems like he's everywhere, so I'd forgotten his musical output had been sporadic at best. I don't remember this one, but I liked it a lot. I thought you liked Bad As Me? How's It Gonna End is good too. ADDED

Pariah - “King Ball Park Gizzard and the Radiohead Impala” Is this the indie psychedelic version of My Morning Band Of Fleet Foxes? I kinda liked that song. The compression works here because it's used to create that distorted, psychedelic wall of sound. Not sure I could take a whole album's worth without resting my ears, but that relatively short dose was fun. ADDED

Daft Piano – It started off nicely, but that trademark Daft Punk cheese and autotune felt wildly out of place. Or maybe the lovely piano was out of place in Daft Punk.

Tori Amos – A little too safe and Natalie Imbruglia for me. Early Tori was a lot more daring. And I don't mean super-early hair metal Tori.

Zoot Woman – That album cover is familiar for some reason, but not the song. Didn't care for it, really.

Protest The Hero – I wanted to listen to this all way through based on your description, but the music was intolerable and I couldn't hear the lyrics anyway. Steve Earle had already written the definitive song about a death row prison guard ten years before this.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 38 thoughts

Chien, Daft Punk - Well that confirms that I definitely prefer my Daft Punk a little more ubeat with a little funk.

Geezer, Green Day - Wow, that was overblown. The band are definitely better in their brevity. Literally plays like a greatest hits of Green Day, some bits are great, some bits verging on Bon Jovi, some just a little ordinary. At least it doesn't include that pompous up their own arse music video which I recall seeing on MTV back in the day.

JohnErle, Shearwater - More overblown pomp. Is this going to be a theme this round! Definitely preferred the earlier song.

Leestu, Ball Park Music - Wasn't really a fan of the opening but once it picked up it became far more interesting. Then it probably went on a little too long. Not bad, though.

Nspan, Zoot Woman - Had I not known better, I would have been certain this was an 80s release. Had a bit of funk to it.

Ron, Phoenix - Another blast of fun pop music. A little throwaway, but some nice beats. These are probably a great singles band, as I have enjoyed most of what I have heard so far, will have to delve into their back catalogue.

Screen, TBA

Shryke, Tori Amos - Yeah, her star has definitely passed

Six, Tom Waits - Haven't really listened to any of his work this millennium, but that growl was still as strong as ever, while the jazzy trumpet worked well in contrast.

Tranny, Protest The Hero - Not for me.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

JohnErle - Black Eyes - The second Shearwater song you've posted, and the second one I've liked. Dude's got a great voice. With harder guitars, it might remind me of a really good hair metal song from the 80s (like Dio). Good stuff. 7.5/10

Surfer - I Don't Wanna Be Funny Anymore - I think I've heard of Lucy, but I can't for the life of me remember what songs of hers I've heard. This was fantastic. Great choice. 7.5/10

Chien - Within - Wow, this was not like any Daft Punk song I've heard before. It didn't impact me like it did you, Chien, but it was really good. 7/10

Ron B - 1901 - I'm glad I listened to this and NSpan's song back to back. They're very similar. Except that this one is better. 7/10

NSpan - Living in a Magazine - How incredible it is that you mention Phoenix in your description of this song on the same day that a Phoenix song appears RIGHT BELOW IT (Ron B). I'm a big fan of Kraftwerk, and while I do see the inspiration, I'm not a fan of the guy's voice. 6/10

Leestu - Pariah - I really like the first half of this, but sadly, there was a second half... and it added nothing to the song for me. 6/10

Tranny - Blindfolds Aside - A few moments that made me hark back to my youth and hair metal, so thanks. 6/10

Geezer - Jeebus of Suburbia - I generally like most Green Day songs, but for some reason this is near the bottom of the list for me. I suppose I could blame the poorly-acted, preachy video that went along with it, or the length, or the resemblance the melody has to Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69", quite possibly the most overplayed 80s song of all time... and the second half sounds overmuch like "Ring of Fire" (the Social D version), another song I've heard too many times. Oh well. 5.5/10

Six - Hoist that Rag - Ick, no. This was too much like one of Tranny's growlathons for my liking. 4/10

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Remember all, Mystery Round tomorrow, so be sure to tune in!!

#38 (conclusion)

SCREEN 203

Tove Lo, Cool Girl (2016)

Everything about this one shows Tove Lo at her very best: provocative lyrics with a great beat. The slight humorous touches in the lyrics are rather (suprisingly) rare for an artist famous for always speaking her mind, and for her raw lyrics.

CHIEN

Devotchka, How It Ends (2004)

I remember hearing that song for the first time ages ago like it was yesterday. It was summer 2005 and it teared my heart apart. It’s the first thing that struck me with that song, how profoundly heartfelt and melancholic it is. Yet after relistening to it, I was transported by how the song is also full of light, full of life, with that eastern european vibe. And this is why I still adore it today. How it offers me both melancholy and joy when I listen to it.

GEEZER

Alkaline Trio, Stupid Kid (2001)

Love these guys, especially their old songs and this album in particular. This one is my favorite. We've all felt like this, I'm sure.

JOHNERLE

Fleet Foxes, He Doesn't Know Why (2008)

History is full of musicians who made a big splash then quickly faded away into mediocrity and obscurity. I never thought Fleet Foxes were going to be one of those bands, but it seems to have turned out that way. We'll always have the Sun Giant EP, though.

Also: Mykonos, White Winter Hymnal

LEESTU

Pinegrove, Old Friends (2016)

A lyrically driven, melancholic, piece of alt-country Midwest emo. I love his raw passionate vocals, and the at times slightly off-kilter timing of the delivery.

NSPAN

The Warlocks, Angels in Heaven, Angels in Hell (2005)

I can't say this track is "representative" of the Warlocks' overall sound... but it's a standout song to me regardless. The 50s/60s throwback themes are kinda unique to this album ("Surgery"), but I think it worked well for the record.

RON B

Daft Punk, One More Time (2000)

SCREEN203

Disclosure feat. Lorde, Magnets (2015)

The atmospheric beat that underlies the song sets the tone. Lorde's sultry vocals add to the feel of a futuristic tube that could be played in a jazz club in the 40's.

SHRYKE

Disturbed, Stupify (2000)

The song that first introduced me to Disturbed, and still the champ-een of their discography.

SIX

Priests, Nothing Feels Natural (2017)

I’ve been following Washington DC act Priests for some time now, when they were a more shouty, overtly political act. For their debut album they mellowed a tad, with singer Katie Alice Greer wrapping her pipes around melody a little more. Here, it’s almost mournfully soulful as the politics are buried behind what may seem like a breakup song.

SURFER

Cloud Nothings, Wasted Days (2014)

Another stunning slice of punk from Cloud Nothings, already featured previously during the countdown but its so good it deserves another 8 minutes of listening from all of you! And nothing is more punk than talking about a life lacking in purpose complemented by some of the most fantastic drumming and guitars this millennium. It just keeps building and building, wave upon wave of emotion flooding out of Baldi's gravel-like vocals until it peaks with the awesome climax.

TRANSFORMERS

Rivers of Nihil, A Home (2018)

The first and only appearance of a band that has become one of my favorites in recent years. Rivers of Nihil really hit their stride when they started fleshing out the progressive elements of their sound on their third LP Where Owls Know My Name. Not only did introducing things such as clean vocals, saxophones and keyboards into their arsenal add to the dynamism of their songwriting, it also had a steroid-like effect on the impact of their established crushing death metal elements. Can't wait to see what they cook up next.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The I Love It

Cloud Nothings, Wasted Days - of course as it's already been on my list...blows me away every time

The Very Good

The Warlocks, Angels in Heaven, Angels in Hell first listen...that really did sound like if noisy shoegaze was around in the '50s...I really enjoyed this, it surprisingly worked well

Priests, Nothing Feels Natural - one of the better songs on the album...but overall they don't grab me as much as I know they should

Daft Punk, One More Time - one of the few Daft Punk songs that I really like...I think I Iike that it's celebration of music and how music can make you feel good

The Good

Fleet Foxes, He Doesn't Know Why - nice folky harmonies...it's okay on it's own but I find their albums a bit dull...Father John Misty is the best thing to come out of Fleet Foxes and he wasn't part of the band here

Rivers of Nihil, A Home - first listen...I didn't think I would like this when it first started, but the melodious metal in the middle worked in getting me into the song...the drumming was awesome, the vocals not so much, but bearable

Disturbed, Stupify - first listen...better than the other Disturbed songs so far, but it does sound a bit dated now

The Okay

Alkaline Trio, Stupid Kid - first listen...it was okay, just didn't stand out for me

Disclosure feat. Lorde, Magnets - Lorde nearly saves this from being just another typical Disclosure song

The Meh

Devotchka, How It Ends - first listen...didn't do much for me

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: Leetsu, there's no way that was your first listen. This song was in every indie dramedy in the noughties, and every trailer. Think I remember it first from Everything is illuminated but then of course Little Miss Sunshine. It's a very earnest song, and decent, but it's a movie song for me.
Geez: Didn't do a thing for me.
John: Definitely one of the best songs from their debut album. The only song of theirs I considered for my list was indeed Mykonos.
Leetsu: I warmed to the vocals, but the music didn't do much.
Nspan: It was alright, but definitely prefer their other stuff. Sometimes I find myself drawn to the odd-song-out on albums because it breaks up the style of the record, but I'm starting to realise that once you take that context out, maybe it's not as effective.
Ron B: It's so centred on that single sample, yet it's still pretty darn catchy and entertaining.
Screen: Two average songs with decent beats (the Tove Lo song being mroe catchy) but not much else to make me remember them.
Shryke: There is not one thing, one song, one riff or vocal moment, that I like from nu-metal. This song has confirmed that.
Surf: Excellent song. That's two from Attack on Memory. I had to limit myself to one song per album, otherwise I'd turn into NSpan.
Tranny: Couldn't get into it. I tried!