Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #40-31

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #40-31

Post by Shrykespeare »

Sorry guys, I feel like utter crap tonight. I'll post #33 tomorrow. Take the time to catch up.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

JohnErle wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 5:08 pm
Now that I know fancy French pastries are at stake, I would to retroactively heap praise on all of Chien's previous picks.
numbersix wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 3:03 pm
You have no idea what I'm willing to do for those macarons. No idea
Well next time I'm in London or Vancouver, I know what to take with me 😉
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Pretty decent round

Like It
Pinegrove, Old Friends (2016)
Disturbed, Stupify (2000) (Used to be in the love category, but still remains solid even if its faded for me over time)
Priests, Nothing Feels Natural (2017)
Cloud Nothings, Wasted Days (2014)

Love It
Daft Punk, One More Time (2000) (Probably the best song you've posted yet, Ron! I love this track)

Meh
Devotchka, How It Ends (2004)
Fleet Foxes, He Doesn't Know Why (2008)
The Warlocks, Angels in Heaven, Angels in Hell (2005)
Disclosure feat. Lorde, Magnets (2015)
Rivers of Nihil, A Home (2018)

Loathe It
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Already explained my thought process on the guesses. I did consider just randomly assigning a number to the songs and guessing that way, but I decided to think it out. for once I did alright.

Anyway, here's what I thought of the songs themselves

Like It
Tool, Schism (2001) (I think its the only Tool song I like)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Maps (2003)
Gnarls Barkley, Crazy (2006)
The National, Mistaken for Strangers (2007) (The best song by this band that has been posted so far)

Love It
Outkast, Hey Ya (2003)

Meh
David Bowie, Slip Away (2002)
Wilco, Hummingbird (2004)
Gram Rabbit, Off With Your Head (2010) (though it will be stuck in my head for days)

Loathe It
Killswitch Engage, The Element of One (2002)
Young M.A., OOOUUU (2016)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Another decent group

Like It
Death Cab For Cutie, I Will Follow You Into The Dark (2005) (This is easily one of my wife's favorite songs of all time. If she made a list it would be in her top 10. I've heard it a thousand times and it's still pretty decent, so that's saying something)
Grouplove, Colours (2011) (I can definitely see the Modest Mouse comparison. Not bad)
Eminem, Stan (2000) (as much as I dislike Eminem, this track is a classic)
Onerepublic, Love Runs Out (2014) (catchy, not bad)
At The Drive In, Invalid Litter Dept. (2000) (Liked this quite a bit and I loved the story. I know exactly how you feel. I'm going to dive deeper)
Love It

Meh
Arcade Fire, Everything Now (2017)
Rapture, The Devil (2006)
Vince Staples, Norf Norf (2015)

Loathe It
Sufjan Stevens, The Owl and the Tanager (2010)
Lana Del Rey, West Coast (2014)

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Like It
Patty Griffin, Ohio (2013)
Handsome Boy Modeling School, The PJs (2000) (surprisingly I didn't hate this. Really like it musically and the lyrics didn't bother me)
Outkast, Roses (2003) (It's no Hey Ya or Ms. Jackson, but Outkast undeniably has made the catchiest hiphop of the new millennium and this is no exception)
“Weird Al” Yankovic, Word Crimes (2014) (I'm not rolling my eyes. I've loved Weird Al since I was like 10. He was my very first concert. This one is funny, but not one of my favorites. I'd have gone with others from this millennium over this if I were going to include him, and his best stuff, for me, comes from Bad Hair Day and Running With Scissors)

Love It
Johnny Cash, Hurt (2002) (A rare spot on the love list for Six. Good job. This song is so fucking good, and easily better than the original version. I could listen to this on repeat. Was a contender for my list. Honestly it probably should have made it. Without doubt my favorite thing you've shared.)

Meh
Benjamin Biolay, Roma
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Self-Immolate (2019) (I'm not a big thrash metal guy)
Disclosure feat. Eliza Doolittle, You and Me (2013)
PJ Harvey, Kamikaze (2000)

Loathe It
Fallujah, Adrenaline (2016)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Yasmine Hamdan, Hal (2012)

I already had a song partly sung in arab, early on on my list, but this one is 100% arabic. The singer, Yasmine Hamdan, is a Lebanese based in Paris. I know some of you have a hard time getting into a song that doesn’t really feature the codes of Western music, but dive into it. Let yourself be rocked in this Oriental cradle, through this mesmerizing, hypnotic musical journey. If you have seen Jim Jarmusch’s “Only Lovers left alive”, you might recognize that song as it featured in it, with Hamdan singing herself live in it. That song is a trip to Mediteranea through a voice, and sounds, you won’t forget. I hope.

GEEZER

Dropkick Murphys, The Dirty Glass (2003)

I know it probably won't be the most popular pick on my list. Some of you have been quite clear on that. But how can you deny how fun this is? I just love the call and response between the vocalists. I'm going with a live version, a particularly good one if you ask me, over the recorded version, because its just more fun that way.

JOHNERLE

Heartless Bastards, Parted Ways (2012)

With an awesome band name like that, you'd probably assume that they've always had this kind of Americana sound, but they've delivered plenty of heavier alt-rock and even shoegaze over the years.

Also: I Swallowed A Dragonfly, Black Cloud

LEESTU

Big Scary, The Opposite Of Us (2016)

A beautiful earworm of a piano melody.

NSPAN

Galactic, Bittersweet (2003)

Galactic + Dan the Automator.

Automator swoops in to helm Galactic's best album to date. Whooda thunk it?

RON B

Basement Jaxx, Where's Your Head At? (2001)

SCREEN203

Rihanna, Rude Boy (2009)

Catchy, with a great video. The reggae influence is a great touch (probably the last real hit of the Sean Paul-led revivial in pop music of dancehall influences).

SHRYKE

Rob Thomas, Little Wonders (2007)

I don’t expect this song will win any of you over, but it was high on my All-Time Faves list 10 years ago, so there was no way I was leaving it off here. Yes, it’s Rob Thomas. Yes, this was a song from a kid’s movie (Meet the Robinsons). Yes, the lyrics are a bit schmaltzy. Don’t care. Sometimes a feel-good song is just what you need when you’re in a sour mood, and “Little Wonders” is often my go-to tune in such cases. No further explanation needed. (True story, I went into a Lowe’s yesterday to purchase a new microwave oven, and THIS SONG was playing on the overhead speakers. It’s kismet, I tells ya!)

SIX

Liars, There’s Always Room on the Broom (2004)

Oh I do love me some noise. And boy did Liars make some chaotic noise for their second album, They Were Wrong, So We Drowned, a concept album about witchcraft and witch trials in Germany. This song delivers an almost impenetrable wall of static. It’s almost offensive, and definitely provocative as the band deliver unnerving chants. I also love their drum sound (more evident in Surf’s earlier pick), which sounds like their drums are so tightly wound that bullets would bounce off them.

SURFER

IDLES, Danny Nedelko (2018)

My second and final IDLES song for my countdown, Danny Nedelko is a family favourite, and literally my daughters favourite song since Michael Jackson stopped making disco classics. Finding the band still at full throtal on their sophomore record, this song takes the complicated nature of immigration and provides a more human touch to it all. It makes for a poignant and socially responsible song, as well as having an absolute killer chorus. Sing your hearts out, guys!

TRANSFORMERS

In Flames, Bullet Ride (2000)

Before they took a dreaded turn into the realm of pure radio hard rock, Swedish melodic death metal pioneers In Flames kicked off the new millennium with one last masterpiece in Clayman. The opening track from this astonishing record illustrates the gift they have for combining the edge of extreme metal with the infectious melodies of a pure rock n'roll act.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Six - Hurt - Well, I knew this song would show up eventually. Fantastic song, worthy of a master. I remember how it was used to utter perfection in my favorite TV show of all time, Person of Interest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD8qvpMw8Vw (Context - Taraji P. Henson's character was gunned down in the previous epsiode, and the other characters, especially Sarah Shahi's character, are relentlessly (and viciously) tracking the corrupt cop who did it.) 8.5/10

Geezer - True Trans Soul Rebel - Really great song. Loved the energy. 7.5/10

JohnErle - Ohio - Nice song. Very listenable. 7/10

Surfer - Kamikaze - Man, PJ just keeps on chuggin', doesn't she? God bless her. Hope she keeps going for another 30. 6.5/10

Screen - You and Me - I've liked most of the Disclosure songs you put forth, though to what degree depends on the vocalist. This was good, but the one with London Grammer is still by far my favorite. 6.5/10

Chien - Roma - Not bad. He's kind of like a French Bryan Ferry (and he looks like Harry Connick Jr.) 6/10

Leestu - Self-Immolate - This is the Tranniest pick you've ever trannied. Had its moments, but not enough for me. 5.5/10

Ron B - Roses - Roses smell like poo? (Shakes head.) 5/10

NSpan - The PJs - The title reminds me of that short-lived Eddie Murphy claymation series in the 90s. The song didn't impress me. 4.5/10

Tranny - Adrenaline - I've said this 20 times, don't feel like saying it again. 4/10

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

The Awesome

Basement Jaxx, Where's Your Head At? - way back at the time this was one of my favourite songs to hear come on the radio...it's lost its lustre a little bit over time, but still an awesome song, that holds some personal nostalgic meaning to me

The Excellent

IDLES, Danny Nedelko - excellent song with a great message, one of four excellent songs from one of the best albums of 2018

The Very Good

Dropkick Murphys, The Dirty Glass - I don't know much Dropkick Murphys but there's a handful of their songs that I used to listen to a little bit, and this was one of them.

Liars, There’s Always Room on the Broom - oh yeah, there is some great noise in here that sounds so wrong that it sounds right, especially the way they have made it so catchy...I prefer Mess era Liars but I did enjoy this album

Heartless Bastards, Parted Ways - first listen...I wasn't too sure at first but once they started rocking out I got into it

The Good

Galactic, Bittersweet -first listen...not bad...a little bit unusual with that type of voice over that sort of music

Yasmine Hamdan, Hal - one of your movie songs that I actually remember from the movie...some atmospheric Arabic drone for the first half, then an interesting upbeat twist halfway through...I liked it

In Flames, Bullet Ride- first listen...this rocked...nothing I will fall in love with or seek more of, but a blast to listen to at the time

The Meh

Rihanna, Rude Boy - first listen probably...I don't care how good a singer she is, there is nothing here for me, genre or generational wise, except for the overt sexuality, which I can get from other sources than music and music videos.

Rob Thomas, Little Wonders- nope, nothing at all for me here...but I guess how formulaic it is suits the sciencey video, science nerds like formulas

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: Well, I tried and it worked. I guess because it doesn't delve into cheesy pop. I liked its atmospheric build-up and the focus on drums. Decent stuff. Jaramusch is quite the taste-maker. He single handedly made Ethiopian jazz a thing in the West.
Dropkick Murphys: Go to any pub in Ireland on a weekend night and you'll get an act doing something like this. Maybe better.
John: Didn't really stick with me
Leetsu: Nice piano. Quite poppy for you! Again, something that I'll probably forget soon.
NSpan: Decent stuff.
Ron B: It's like a drill. Not good to listen for when you're hungover. But it's good any other time.
Rihanna: It's okay but not top tier Rihanna for me.
Shryke: I'm all for upbeat song, but this is more saccharine than genuinely moving.
Surf: Excellent choice. If I was to be honest, it's not my favourite song of theirs, as it delves into a sort of pop-punk that (you know by now) isn't quite my thing. But it works well as part of a number of types of songs that make up one of my favourite albums of the decade. And the sentiment is of course wonderful. Last time I saw them live Danny Nedelko was there and sang along on stage!
Tranny: That was hard going!
Last edited by numbersix on April 20th, 2020, 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:
April 20th, 2020, 3:48 am
I guess because it doesn't delve into cheesy pop.
:twisted:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

NSpan - Bittersweet - Liked this more than I thought I would. The southern bluesy tones make it work. 7/10

Geezer- The Dirty Glass - This was fun! Not totally my thing, but I get why you love it. 6.5/10

Six - Danny Nedelko - Good song. Very Geezery. 6.5/10

Tranny - Bullet Ride - Some really solid guitar work here. Honestly, I would probably be rating a lot of your songs higher if there were even one intelligible lyric in it. Your preferred vocalists have a penchant for screaming, growling, or speaking in tongues and calling it singing. That's my biggest turnoff, but there's no denying the skill of the instruments. 6.5/10

JohnErle - Parted Ways - This seems like the kind of song that could grow on me if I give it the chance, which I may (or may not). 6.5/10

Chien - Hal - Dunno, seemed a little shallow. :lol: Seriously, this was nice. Liked her voice. 6/10

Leestu - The Opposite of Us - I normally love songs with great piano, which this song has, but the vocals did nothing for me. 5.5/10

Six - There's Always Room on the Broom - Didn't moved the needle. 5.5/10

Ron B - Where's Your Head At? - Heard this before. Didn't like it then, don't hate it now. 5/10

Screen - Rude Boy - Not a fan of Rihanna. At all. I like the beat, but the lyrics are awful. 5/10

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 33 thoughts

Chien, Yasmin Hamdan - An interesting song, I think I preferred the slower build up that it's climax, but the Eastern music was nice.

Geezer, Dropkick Murphys - Just not a fan of Celtic Rock, this song didn't come close to changing that opinion. Especially so with the vocalists bouncing off each other like Kirsty and Shane.

JohnErle, Heartless Bastards - Nice vocals but otherwise nothing really grabbed me.

Leestu, Big Scary - Lovely stuff, simple but effective piano and vocals were very nice.

Nspan, Galactic - Had a nice groove to it and as seems to be a trend in this round, the vocals are very nice.

Ron, Basement Jaxx - Great song, terrifying video. Had the kids bouncing around the house and reminded me of my younger days when I would have been doing the same!

Screen, Rihanna - Effective pop music, can see why it's very popular but just not for me really.

Shryke, Rob Thomas - Just not a fan of this guy and his super smooth vocals.

Six, Liars - Geezer is gonna love this! Prefer latter era Liars, but there is something undeniably interesting about this, as the vocals squeal against the twisting percussion.

Tranny, In Flames - Music reminded me at times of Funeral For A Friend which was OK, vocals were a little too angry, though.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Random Comments:

Word Crimes – The problem with Weird Al is that a parody of a shitty song is still a shitty song. The lyrics are clever, but musically it's nothing I'd ever choose to listen to. It works best with the lyric video, much like Blurred Lines which only works because of the tits.

Danny Nedelko – This is my favourite of theirs. Their lyrics are always too on the nose and obvious for me, but if I was a 15-year old skinhead and it had never occurred to me that racism was a bad thing, I can see how it could be a game-changer.

Big Scary – Definitely more poppy than I'm used to from you. It might be a grower, so ADDED.

Bittersweet – Did Dan The Automator ever work with The Rapture? If so, know what your #1 will be. This has a good groove, but the singer was pretty bland. ADDED for now.

Self-Immolate – Like Six said, Tranny is the only one qualified to judge this, but it seems like a reasonable facsimile to me. The question is why? It seems like they're just showing off, and that doesn't impress me.

Roses – I vaguely remember that “shit don't stank” line but this is the first time I paid close attention to this song. It's even more misogynistic than their other stuff. Fucking awful.

Kamikaze – This must be the first time I've ever heard Six not gush about a PJ Harvey song. I have to agree with him here. She's done better.

Hurt – There was a concern at the time that Johnny Cash was being exploited by Rick Rubin and the record label, and I tend to agree. Always had mixed feelings about this one.

The Projects – The old-school vibe was nice, but not enough for me.

Liars – The guitar effects were cool, but the song overall did nothing for me