Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #50-41

Anything music related. Latest songs, good new bands, and blasts from the past.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NSpan
Frank Booth

Re: Top 100 Songs of the Millennium (2000-2019) - #50-41

Post by NSpan »

Leestu wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 12:40 am
Band of Skulls, Not the Kind of Nothing I Know - easily the best song on a very disappointing album...this and Cool Your Battles are the only songs I liked
I've come around on the entire album... EXCEPT "Carnivorous". that song sucks. We saw them live recently, and it was an amazing show. And, fortunately for us, they played that particular track dead last. so we just left a few minutes early, lol

numbersix wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 8:06 am
NSpan: I liked the slight pop element. Sometimes too derivative styles in a song are better than one! Do you like Ty Segall? He does stuff like this so well.
Not familiar. I'll have to check him out.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron B - Galvanize - Damn, I forgot all about this song. Chemical Brothers rock! Thanks for bringing it back! 8/10

Six - The Rat - Don't remember how I felt about the song when Leestu put it on his list, but I like it now. 7/10

NSpan - Not the Kind of Nothing I Know - I was jamming to this. Had an 80s feel, like something Blondie or Joan Jett might have done way back when. 7/10

Geezer - Get Old Forever - I like songs that do this, start slow and then BOOM. Jeff's voice isn't that distinctive to me (at least, it's hard to tell when he has to scream over the instruments), but the song is cool. 6.5/10

Screen - Cruel Sexuality - This was good. Liked the rhythm more than La Roux's voice, but a nice listen. 6.5/10

JohnErle - My Slow Descent Into Alcoholism - Decent song, catchy lyrics. Nice choice. 6.5/10

Surfer - Monkey - Not a bad song, but nothing really stood out to me; not the vocals, the guitars, nothing. 6/10

Tranny - Black Skinhead - I typically hate Kanye, but this wasn't bad. 6/10

Chien - Slow Show - It was okay. Didn't really move the needle for me. 5.5/10

Leestu - Death - I liked it at first, but then it just got too drawn out and self-indulgent. What is it with you guys and your 12-minute songs? I think I've had all of one longer than seven... I suppose if you love a song, then the longer the better, but if you don't... 5.5/10
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Aoi Teshima, Sayonara-no Natsu (2011)

Careful boys, it’s a song in an Asian language I discovered in a film, so if your reaction to the song from Infernal Affairs is any indication, you’re gonna think I only chose it because I love the film. But it’s still not the case. This is a marvel of delicacy. That voice is so pure, so gentle, the music so rich despite its apparent simplicity, a lot of emotions come out of the listening of this song. And I listen to it often, so I’m a man full of emotions for sure.

GEEZER

Rise Against, Prayer of the Refugee (2006)

So you want to know what happened with me and Rise Against? I don't think there's a better way to explain it than this article from the Hard Times. http://thehardtimes.net/blog/rise-again ... son-sucks/. And I'd argue that most of Appeal to Reason isn't very good either. But I'll always have The Sufferer and the Witness and the greatness that came before it, including this song.

JOHNERLE

Beirut, Elephant Gun (2007)

The Wes Anderson of Indie Folk, Beirut has an established sound that they rarely waver from. You want something that sounds like sitting at an outdoor cafe in Paris when a band of gypsy buskers walk by? Beirut is the band for you.

Also: Nantes, Gibraltar

LEESTU

Perfume Genius, Queen (2014)

The mix of beauty and power in this song is sublime!

NSPAN

Holly Golightly, The Only One (2011)

Y'all might remember this track from a different countdown. I love songs with lyrics that can basically be boiled down to "fuck you." And this might be one of best examples since "Positively 4th Street".

RON B

Sia, Chandelier (2014)

Ok, so when she goes to that high note, have a crack! It’s not easy. Powerful song.

SCREEN203

SHRYKE

Sean Paul, Get Busy (2003)

Time to shake things up a little bit. Apart from my usual alt-pop radio fare, I do like the occasional R&B/hip-hop song, and this one has been a favorite of mine for seventeen years. Though the lyrics are nigh on unintelligible, it hardly matters. The rhythm is contagious, and it makes you want to seek out the nearest dancefloor (even if you dance like an old fat white guy.)

SIX

James Blake, The Wilhelm Scream (2011)

Just like FKA Twigs took R&B and made it deliciously weird, along comes this weedy white dude who takes dubsteb, slows it right down, and makes it sound soulful. His voice sounds brittle, delicate, complimenting the sparse beats and the sensual synths. It’s perfect late-night vibes.

SURFER

Sufjan Stevens, Should Have Known Better (2015)

I've long been a fan of Sufjan Stevens, dating back to his early 2000s releases of Michigan, Seven Swans and Illinoise, and though in the past decade his sporadic output has sought to expand his stylistic tendencies, it's was the return to his roots that has helped him produce, in my opinion, his magnum opus, along with his best song. Inspired by the death of mother and his rather tense relationship with her due to her chronic substance abuse, schizophrenia and depression, Carrie And Lowell is a very restrained record, with Stevens' vocals almost whispered. It's also his most autobiographical record, and is all the more powerful for it. However, despite the loneliness, suffering and neglect he felt from his upbringing, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, as explicitly revealed on Should Have Known Better, a song fuelled by hope. Throughout the record Stevens holds out this hope for intimacy and the breaking of the destructive cycle, and it's this hope for a resolution that lingers upon listening, and makes the song all the more beautiful.

TRANSFORMERS

Kvelertak, Blodtorst (2010)

Arena rock has more or less disappeared from existence ever since bands like Van Halen, Aerosmith and Def Leppard faded from the spotlight. Enter Norway's Kvelertak-who brought the good-natured goofiness of that genre into the new millennium by adding punk energy and black metal vocals to the mix. The result is something that's extreme while also being unbelievably fun and upbeat for a band with harsh vocals.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

#45 playlist

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/69Rgf ... 8ekFA4PcRA

Missing: Aoi Teshima, Sayonara-no Natsu & Holly Golightly, The Only One

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

Not much for me this round

The Great

Sufjan Stevens, Should Have Known Better - One of the best songs from this album, along with No Shade In The Shadow Of The Cross, and the only album of his I've really been able to get into...although I love Christmas Unicorn, my favourite song of his that I've heard

Kvelertak, Blodtorst - first listen...there's definitely a punkiness to this metal, both musically and vocally, that works for me...I wanted to turn it up (sorry neighbours)

The Very Good

Rise Against, Prayer of the Refugee - haha, funny article...I never really got into Rise Against much but I do like some of their early songs like this one

The Good

James Blake, The Wilhelm Scream - I like his soulful voice, and the interesting production

Holly Golightly, The Only One - I don't remember hearing this before, but I liked the slow melancholy of this song, and the mournful guitar...felt a bit short but I guess she reached the punchline and no more needed to be said

The Okay

Beirut, Elephant Gun - first listen...it's okay but too brassy at the end for me

Aoi Teshima, Sayonara-no Natsu - first listen...during this time of self isolation our family has slowly been working our way through the Studio Gibhli movies that are available on Netflix in chronological order (we're up to Porco Rossi), and the music throughout them really plays a valuable role. Taken on it's own though this doesn't do much for me. My eldest son disagrees with me though, he thought this was great

The Meh

Sia, Chandelier- yes it's impossible for the average joe to sing along to...I never really liked this song in the first place, let alone after hearing it being overplayed so much...I do admire her singing and songwriting talent just not enough to like the song

The Rest

Sean Paul, Get Busy -

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien: Well, it's better than the Infernal Affairs karaoke song, that's for sure ;) I think all those Ghibli songs are similar. Very sweet, maybe saccherine. And a little French element thrown in there to (and sometimes that's reflected in the design of the film's worlds, like in Kiki's Delivery Service). No wonder you like it :)
Geez: I bet if I listened to later Rise Against and "punk" Rise Against I imagine they wouldn't sound much different.
John: Ah, another Beirut song. Or is it the same one? Hard to tell. Pleasantly quirky regardless.
Leetsu: Great to see another track off this album appear. Just as brave and bold.
NSpan: This was great. If I didn't dig it the last time I've changed my tune now. It was almost too brief!
Ron B: A surprise choice for you. Sadly I always associate it with a shampoo ad. The video is an accurate portrayal of what I do each morning in my apartment since lockdown.
Shyke: Deep within you is a frat boy just dying to party
Surf: A stunning song. I couldn't pick one from the album (the title track came close) as it's all bound up in this powerful story.
Tranny: The moment you mention Def Leppard I'm gone, but actually this was somewhat listenable.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

#45 is a very good round !

Geezer, Rise against : I'm really not into Rise against, but there are traces of something enjoyable in this song.
John, Elephant Gun : Postcards from Italy appeared earlier on my list, so obviously Beirut is a group I like, and Elephant Gun definitely is one of their very good songs. It's not Postcards from Italy, but a very good choice nonetheless.
Leestu, Perfume Genius : First listen, and an excellent one. Really really interesting. Charming.
NSpan, Holly Golightly : Not bad. Not really my thing, but easy to listen to.
Ron, Chandelier : Sia isn't really someone I listen to, but I must confess each time I hear Chandelier, I find it to be a very efficient piece of music.
Shryke, Sean Paul : I... I mean... What I wanna say is... Well it's... No, that's not what I... It's... Clearly... The thing is... Well, you know. But I listened to the whole thing.
Six, James Blake : It's the kind of background, atmosphere music that I can listen to in some circumstances. Late night,, yeah why not. In a bar, yeah.
Surfer, Should have known better : Is this the firsts appearance of Sufjan Stevens in any list ? I don't remember if he's already been mentionned ? Great choice, I love Stevens, and this song in particular is one I really like.
Tranny, Kvelertak : Well I like the name of the band.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Round 47 thoughts

Bar a couple, this was a really lovely round of music with great vocalists.
Surfer, Should have known better : Is this the firsts appearance of Sufjan Stevens in any list ? I don't remember if he's already been mentionned ? Great choice, I love Stevens, and this song in particular is one I really like.
I know I have listed him once already a little while ago, and I suspect there will be more.

Chien, Aoi Teshima - I do love the music in Studio Ghibli movies, and this is one of the better more recent ones. At the same time I don't think I can separate the music from the film. Still good stuff.

Geezer, Rise Against - To be honest, the guy in that blog sounds a bit of a dick. I mean, unless the band have intentionally changed their sound so that they appeal to a new audience, and they have gone against the music they actually want to play, who is this kid to get on stage and bash the band like that. I mean, I'm not a fan of the Smashing Pumpkins sound since Machina, but Billy obviously believes in what he is doing so I would never knock an artist, especially in front of him, for doing something he is probably proud of. In fact, if so many people hate their newer sound, why the hell go to a gig which will most likely feature this music prominently? If you don't like it, there is a physical existence of when you did, so just listen to that instead.
Anyway... Yeah, I liked this when you posted it in a previous countdown, and still like it now.

JohnErle, Beirut - Was gutted Zach Condon got sick last year and had to cancel his tour as I was set to watch him for the first time last September. His voice is magical and this is right up there with his best. I get that his songs can appear quite similar, but record's like this and anything from The Rip Tide or The Flying Club Cup are just majestic and I get swept away in their Eastern European style beauty many a time. Didn't have anything make my own list, but glad to see their representation here.

Leestu, Perfume Genius - Another artist capable of true beauty in his music, yet the confidence show on this record was astonishing. Great pick.

Nspan, Holly Golightly - Like many I discovered Holly Golightly via The White Stripes, but while her sound can be a little too quirky at times for the sake of it, this was good.

Ron, Sia - She has got a great voice and I'd never turn this off. I understand she works for a lot of the big pop stars, and you can kind of hear her music in everything I guess, so even beyond this song she is having quite the influence.

Screen, TBC

Shryke, Sean Paul - Now you are just egging us on, aren't you! If there is a style of music I could care less for this century more than Nickelback, this is it.

Six, James Blake - I know the kind of music Blake makes, but can't say I have ever had the patience to actually sit through an entire song of his. He has a great voice, but musically I just haven't ever been grabbed by anything. And while pleasant enough, this song didn't do anything to change that, unfortunately.

Tranny, Kvelertak - That was a nightmare just typing the name! This was definitely more accessible that some of your other stuff. But probably won't go any further than that.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Here's Screen's #45.

Rihanna, Kiss It Better (2016)

Insanely underrated, this should have been a much bigger hit. Label mismanagement aside, this is the best song off of ANTI, and one of the highlights of Rihanna's career. Great use of the guitar in this throwback summery modern classic.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Leestu wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 4:37 am
Aoi Teshima, Sayonara-no Natsu - first listen...during this time of self isolation our family has slowly been working our way through the Studio Gibhli movies that are available on Netflix in chronological order (we're up to Porco Rossi), and the music throughout them really plays a valuable role. Taken on it's own though this doesn't do much for me. My eldest son disagrees with me though, he thought this was great
Well you can congratulate your son, he obviously is a person with good taste 😉
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

silversurfer19 wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 10:09 am
Round 47 thoughts

Geezer, Rise Against - To be honest, the guy in that blog sounds a bit of a dick. I mean, unless the band have intentionally changed their sound so that they appeal to a new audience, and they have gone against the music they actually want to play, who is this kid to get on stage and bash the band like that. I mean, I'm not a fan of the Smashing Pumpkins sound since Machina, but Billy obviously believes in what he is doing so I would never knock an artist, especially in front of him, for doing something he is probably proud of. In fact, if so many people hate their newer sound, why the hell go to a gig which will most likely feature this music prominently? If you don't like it, there is a physical existence of when you did, so just listen to that instead.
Anyway... Yeah, I liked this when you posted it in a previous countdown, and still like it now.
Are you familiar with the Hard Times, Surfer? Its a satirical site a la the Onion, but mostly music based, particularly punk rock. So its not meant to be taken seriously. I just found it pretty accurate and funny this case, and think Rise Against basically found the sound that had the most mainstream appeal, made them the most money, and then kept making the same thing over and over again to milk it dry. But I've taken the approach you suggest. Listen to the old stuff, and don't pay to see them when you know it won't feature much of what you love. I haven't seen them in almost 12 years, yet they still appear on this countdown.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron B - Chandelier - Sia's voice usually grates on me, but I like this song. It's probably my fave of hers. (Check out Gladys Knight's version on "The Masked Singer" as "The Bee", it's awesome.) 7.5/10

Leestu - Queen - I liked this. (Dieter from Sprockets voice - It's as depressing as being aliiiiiiive....) 7/10

Six - The Wilhelm Scream - This was...interesting. Didn't have a lot of sparkle, but there's something there if you dig deep. 6.5/10

Chien - Sayonara-no Natsu - Been a long time since I've seen any of Studio Ghibli films, but this was nice. 6.5/10

Geezer - Prayer for the Refugee - Not a fan of the group, but I like this one. 6/10

Surfer - Should Have Known Better - I was a little sleepy when I started listening to this. By the end, I was nodding off. Pleasant, but that's all I can say about it. Maybe my ears are still burning from your Sean Paul comments... 6/10

JohnErle - Elephant Gun - Paris cafe? Gypsy buskers? I'm gonna beat Geezer to the punch and say "thanks, but no thanks." 5.5/10

NSpan - The Only One - This song is positively...you. And definitely...not me. 5.5/10

Tranny - Baloneywurst - Don't know if I'd ever use the words "fun" and "upbeat" in the same sentence as "harsh vocals", but that's just me. 5.5/10

Screen - Kiss It Better - KInd of meh for me. 5/10

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

CHIEN

Siempreverde, Yo Soy El Fuego (2018)

It was hard to find a version of this song of good quality. It’s the best I could find, sorry. This is an Argentinian duet that is a sequence of the film La Flor, a 13 hour long film comprised of 4 films, one of them being a weird musical drama tainted with fantasy, and the recording of this song is at the very center of the film. So I could understand not having seen the film might make it hard to get into the song. But there's so much heart, heat and colour in this song. You won’t like it, I know. But I adore it.

GEEZER

The Menzingers, The Obituaries (2012)

Here's one of those "On the Impossible Past" songs that I adore so much. To me, there's very few chorus's in the world better than that of this song. I mean I've screamed that til I felt my lungs were about to burst more times than I can count, because it is just so relateable to me. Its not ground-breaking music. Its simplicity is what makes it great. Anyone who has ever been filled with self doubt should get it.

JOHNERLE

Against Me!, The Ocean (2012)

"If I could have chosen I would have been born a woman
My mother once told me she would have named me Laura"

When I first discovered this band they were such a fascinating enigma. Their look and sound was so aggressively macho, yet lyrics like the above were so unexpected. Now, of course, we all understand where those lyrics were coming from, but it doesn't make this song any less appealing to me.

Also: Thrash Unreal, Suffocation

LEESTU

Ought, Today More Than Any Other Day (2014)

Having a close family member with anxiety disorder I find this song very relatable. Things that we all take for granted, like being able to go grocery shopping, are not always simple for everyone. I think this is a positive and inspiring song. From my favourite album of 2014, which has three other songs that technically should have made this countdown.

NSPAN

Phoenix, Consolation Prizes (2006)

Phoenix is just fun, poppy goodness with near-danceable beats and great melodies. This is a good example, IMO.

RON B

Gotye, Thanks For Your Time (2006)

Gotye is one of more talented musicians in Australia, he seems to be currently hiding under a rock.

SCREEN203

Arctic Monkeys, Do I Wanna Know? (2013)

I'm sure someone has this on their list already (I can think of at least three members that likely love this song), but I digress. I honestly don't like this song all that much now (it sounds quite redundant), but I used to play it non-stop about 4 or 5 years ago, and the unique groove has never fully left my head even if its played out.

SHRYKE

The Thorns, I Can’t Remember (2003)

You just can’t beat great harmonies. It’s what made groups like The Eagles and Crosby, Stills and Nash so listenable. The Thorns, if you’ve never heard of them, were formed when three guys who had very successful solo careers in the 90s and the early 00’s (Matthew Sweet, Pete Droge, Shawn Mullins) got together for a recording session. It’s only when their voices blended together that they realized they had something special on their hands. They recorded one album together, and this is by far the best song from it. It’s pretty middle-of-the-road compared to most of my stuff, and it doesn’t take a lot of chances musically, so I don’t expect it’ll impress most of you…but like I said, you just can’t beat great harmonies. Sometimes that’s enough.

SIX

Thee Oh Sees, Tidal Wave (2009)

I may not love these guys as much as Leetsu, but I’m still a huge fan. This track is, like much of their work, heavily influenced by 60s psyche and garage rock, but it has a dash of bubblegum pop swirling in there, clashing with singer John Dwyer’s raw whoops. Dwyer is probably one of the best guitarists around, and if you ever have a chance to catch them live, please do so.

SURFER

Superchunk, Regan Youth (2018)

Superchunk have been going long enough now that you would have probably have expected them to have slipped into the comfort of complacency and mediocrity. Try telling that to Mac McCaughan, as they returned to the scene with their most vibrant and full blooded album in two decades with What A Time To Be Alive. Obviously influenced by the political on-goings with a certain you know who in the States, they still have the cross hairs aimed while at the same time writing fun songs filled with hooks and energy. The album’s most meta moment, and my highlight, Reagan Youth, is about being molded by firebrand punk during depressing conservative regimes. And given the political situation, I suppose they probably see now as good time as any to stoke those fires once again.

TRANSFORMERS

Coheed and Cambria, The Crowing (2003)

A seminal track from an album that was pivotal to shaping my musical tastes and general love of the artform.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

44, a round of identity disorder...

Chien: Yep, another one that probably needs the context of the film, as the clips shows the song to have a deeper meaning between the characters. Outside of that, it sounded very typically Spanish/Latin.

John and Geezer, Geezer and John: Who is who? I can no longer tell. Although upon listening it's clear the Against Me song is the clear winner. It's great and not just in the lyrics, as it's different from the usual pop-punk shouty-verse-shoutier-chorus structure. Geez, it seems they're more versatile musiclly than I previously thought - do you just pick the songs with the big, shouty, singalong choruses and ignore the ones that don't do that?

Leetsu: Love these guys and love this song. Didn't put them in my list, for some reason. But they have some incredible songs. Hung out with them in Iceland (the country, not the British discount supermarket) and they were sweet.

NSpan: This was nice, breezy, summer-time guitar pop.

Ron B: Shryke, is that you? Who else would post a novelty song?

Screen: Surf, you're looking particularly youthful today. I really need to get into the Monkeys properly. This is an excellent riff, although it seems on the day of the writing the band just nailed that riff and went home for pudding and forgot to write anything else.
As for the Rihanna track, while I like her I found that track to be a little dull.

Shryke: Ah man, once you mentioned the Eagles I tuned out. I'd rather walk from Malibu to Venice Beach than listen to The Eagles in a taxi. Actually, this wasn't too bad as I convinced myself they sound like a poppy Neil Young.

Surf: Another Geez-friendly pick (maybe)? I had no idea these guys were still around. This was decent stuff.

Tranny: Ahhh... at least we can rely on you to give us impenetrable metal ;)